Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby the big bang » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:46 pm

oldman wrote:trying to find a market so I can back the lions to beat the sharks this weekend. Lions +60 what odds?

Lions +60 and you would have still been 40ish short!
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:53 am

Aldinga 17.10-112 def OSB/Lonsdale 2.5-17
Christies Beach 9.17-71 def by Port Noarlunga 13.5-83
Flagstaff Hill 16.8-104 def Reynella 13.11-89
Hackham 3.7-25 def by Morphett Vale 30.18-198
Marion 7.6-48 def by Happy Valley 16.13-109
Morphettville Park 19.15-129 def Cove 12.9-81
Noarlunga 9.6-60 def by Brighton Bombers 22.5-137
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3562 times

Postby strike me pink » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:32 am

Couple of surprises there - I thought Brighton had lost a few and Shoes had picked up plenty - big margin as well also well done to the Sharks but doesn't look good for the Lions but they do seem to survive.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:38 am

So what do we take from Round 1?

CB would be disappointed losing at home to their arch rival. A wayward combined score of 17-35 from their A & B grade whereas Porties kicked a combined 20-5. Bachey needs to sack Paul Daly as goalkicking coach immediately!!!

Flaggies and Reynella had some great games across all grades and both will expect to have similar seasons to last year. Really surprised with the Bombers winning margin. No Waylon for the Shoes and possibly a few others to come in for them but a good result for the Bombers nonetheless - kicking 22-5 is also handy first up.

Margins for MP over Cove and HV over Marion were probably as many predicted but good to see Marion still right in the game at half-time and if you break down the qtr by qtr scores in the MP v Cove game, Cove were very competitive for the full game.

Well done to Aldinga on a big win first up and we'll get a better handle on the Emus when they take on the Shoes this week
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby MatteeG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:50 am

Really entertaining U/18s, B Grade and A Grade games up at Flagstaff on Saturday. Loved it.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:07 am

jet-airport wrote:
Animus wrote:I'll start things off for you Old man river....

Sharks and Lions DRAW at Dingy
Saints just over Cockles at Bice
Flies just over Bushpigs and the Pig Pen
Emus by plenty over Hawks at Hackham
Vikings over Rams at Marion
Twisties to beat Cobras at the Pasty
Shoes to beat Bombers at the Shoe

Lions close game, maybe the SFL radio van will be there live :lol: :lol:
Saints by plenty.
Flies by 4-6 goal.
Emus by 12 goal +.
Vikings just, and I mean just.
Cove by 6-8 goal.
Bombers to just get the shoes at the Shoe.

Hey Jet Airport - want to take back your prediction? Unless you call Valleys beating Rams by 10 goals "just"?

Not bad considering we played 10 or so first time A graders including 5 under 18s. :D

Marion also look like they have picked up some big blokes so I don't reckon they will be as bad this year as they have been in previous years. Don't get me wrong I can't see them making finals but wouldn't be surprised to see them finish higher than their 2015 ladder 12th spot
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:17 am

wonder_kid wrote:FIXTURING

One has to wonder why Hawks host Emus round 1 and Marion host Valleys? Surely Hawks and Rams finishing 12th and 13th last year should have got a shot at getting off to a winning start.. While Emus v Valleys 7th and 9th last years would have been a better promotion for round 1.

Only for the fact M/Park seem have lost s few players the Hawks in reality did not look like being in a competitive game until round 5.. Maybe it is the the League's way of slowly getting rid of the Hawks? Hoping by playing 3 of the top 5 in the first four weeks from last year they would be belted into submission early and fold. Be the first year for some time the bottom four have not played each other early at least to get some momentum up at the commencement.

Unfortunately for the clowns the Hawks appear to have good numbers and hope springs eternal.

the sfl has always been run to benefit the bigger clubs why would it change now!

Wonder Kid I disagree SFL is being run to benefit bigger clubs and reckon it is almost the opposite at the moment.

SFL do need to grow a pair and force the 5 games on a Saturday rule (if there is one - can anyone confirm?) If they don't your going to see more of what Valleys had on Saturday with 14s and 18s at Aldinga, no game for the 16s and As and Bs at Marion. For us it meant we had a split club, no atmosphere or support for the B grade because people were either on their way from Aldinga or chose not to go and our support staff were put under the pump.

Great way to start the season :?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:38 pm

One has to wonder why Hawks host Emus round 1 and Marion host Valleys? Surely Hawks and Rams finishing 12th and 13th last year should have got a shot at getting off to a winning start.. While Emus v Valleys 7th and 9th last years would have been a better promotion for round 1.

Only for the fact M/Park seem have lost s few players the Hawks in reality did not look like being in a competitive game until round 5.. Maybe it is the the League's way of slowly getting rid of the Hawks? Hoping by playing 3 of the top 5 in the first four weeks from last year they would be belted into submission early and fold. Be the first year for some time the bottom four have not played each other early at least to get some momentum up at the commencement.

Unfortunately for the clowns the Hawks appear to have good numbers and hope springs eternal.

the sfl has always been run to benefit the bigger clubs why would it change now!

=)) a very un'educated comment !
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:39 pm

Down the Hill wrote:So what do we take from Round 1?

CB would be disappointed losing at home to their arch rival. A wayward combined score of 17-35 from their A & B grade whereas Porties kicked a combined 20-5. Bachey needs to sack Paul Daly as goalkicking coach immediately!!!

Flaggies and Reynella had some great games across all grades and both will expect to have similar seasons to last year. Really surprised with the Bombers winning margin. No Waylon for the Shoes and possibly a few others to come in for them but a good result for the Bombers nonetheless - kicking 22-5 is also handy first up.

Margins for MP over Cove and HV over Marion were probably as many predicted but good to see Marion still right in the game at half-time and if you break down the qtr by qtr scores in the MP v Cove game, Cove were very competitive for the full game.

Well done to Aldinga on a big win first up and we'll get a better handle on the Emus when they take on the Shoes this week

No excuses here DTH , we met a very good Brighton side.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby jet-airport » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:20 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
jet-airport wrote:
Animus wrote:I'll start things off for you Old man river....

Sharks and Lions DRAW at Dingy
Saints just over Cockles at Bice
Flies just over Bushpigs and the Pig Pen
Emus by plenty over Hawks at Hackham
Vikings over Rams at Marion
Twisties to beat Cobras at the Pasty
Shoes to beat Bombers at the Shoe

Lions close game, maybe the SFL radio van will be there live :lol: :lol:
Saints by plenty.
Flies by 4-6 goal.
Emus by 12 goal +.
Vikings just, and I mean just.
Cove by 6-8 goal.
Bombers to just get the shoes at the Shoe.

Hey Jet Airport - want to take back your prediction? Unless you call Valleys beating Rams by 10 goals "just"?

Not bad considering we played 10 or so first time A graders including 5 under 18s. :D

Marion also look like they have picked up some big blokes so I don't reckon they will be as bad this year as they have been in previous years. Don't get me wrong I can't see them making finals but wouldn't be surprised to see them finish higher than their 2015 ladder 12th spot

Yes was a good win, regarding my poor prediction - bar the 3 rd quarter mauling, the game was within a goal so Marion were competitive and very close for most as I thought. 8)

Think you'll find 4 under 18's amongst 6-7 first A grade gamers too mate, your not a fisherman by any chance are you? how big... :lol: .
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby oneuponedown » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:24 pm

MatteeG wrote:Really entertaining U/18s, B Grade and A Grade games up at Flagstaff on Saturday. Loved it.

How it should be,2 clubs having a full day of footy at the one location, pity it will be a rarity this year. Congrats on your win Mattee G/ Dutchy in the A's, would of been a good game to see.
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby MatteeG » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:03 pm

Dutchy wrote:Aldinga 17.10-112 def OSB/Lonsdale 2.5-17
Christies Beach 9.17-71 def by Port Noarlunga 13.5-83
Flagstaff Hill 16.8-104 def Reynella 13.11-89
Hackham 3.7-25 def by Morphett Vale 30.18-198
Marion 7.6-48 def by Happy Valley 16.13-109
Morphettville Park 19.15-129 def Cove 12.9-81
Noarlunga 9.6-60 def by Brighton Bombers 22.5-137

Looking at these results, the 3 that surprised me were:

1) Dingy smacking the Lions. Had it picked as a close tussle, have the Sharks picked up a few or have the Lions slipped that far?
2) Twisties accounting for Cove quite easily. Another game I thought would be a flip of the coin. Was it reasonably close throughout and a blow out at end?
3) Bombers smacking the Shoes. 22-5 is excellent kicking, but were the shoes missing many?
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby ol man emu » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:54 pm

shoe boy wrote:

=)) a very un'educated comment !

If the SFL was looking after the benefit of the bigger clubs there would be no Hackam, Marion or Lonsdale.
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:51 pm

Was a good game at Flaggies, not great standard but a few cobwebs blown out, think both teams have plenty of upside. 1/4 by 1/4 scores dont show Reynella got out by 2-3 goals at one stage in 3rd quarter then Flaggies took over. Albanese BOG surprised but looks a great pick up to cover Carey, from West I believe.

Is Bollenhagen the ex-Hawk?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:49 am

Albanese appears to have played scattered games for Flaggies from U18 to A grade over the last 4 or 5 seasons whilst also playing at West and probably played FH juniors going back before that so not really a recruit but a returning 0 point player.

Bollenhagen is the younger brother of the Bollenhagen who was drafted to Freo a few years back and played 4 AFL games. Both played at Hackham in recent times but are originally Reynella juniors. So he is also a returning 0 point player. I believe the ex-AFL Bollenhagen is playing for Macclesfield this season.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Animus » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Round 2 tips, on ladder positions:

Bombers over Hawks @ Brighton
Bushpigs over Snakes @ Cove
Vikings just over Roos @ Valley
Emus over Shoes @ Morphett Vale
Saints over Lions @ Lonsdale
Cockles over Rams @ Porties
Sharks over Flies @ Reynella
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:37 pm

Animus wrote:Round 2 tips, on ladder positions:

Sharks over Flies @ Reynella

LMAO
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:17 pm

Bombers over Hawks 140pts
Bushpigs over Snakes 60pts
Roos over HV 15 pts in upset of the round
Emus over Shoes 40pts
Saints over Lions 150pts
Cockles over Rams 25pts
Reynella over Sharks 110pts
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Down the Hill » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Roos over HV 15 pts in upset of the round

Would that be an upset Dutchy? Game is at Happy Valley but MP finished higher than HV last season and beat them by 10 goals late in the minor round. Both have lost players and too early to gauge the quality of recruits. I would have thought this will be a very close game and the only upset would be if either won by a margin greater than 4 or 5 goals. Both have plenty of talented youth who will probably cancel each other out so it will probably come down to the influence of the quality veterans in Lawry, Eagleton, Murphy, Panozzo etc.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:51 pm

Agree, but HV would have to be favourites at home. Game of the round IMO.
Dutchy
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL