Coach

Has liked: 5612 times
Been liked: 2540 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Rushed behinds in AFL

Postby HH3 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 pm

whufc wrote:How about the AFL try leaving the rules alone for a year

Sorry for my crazy out of the box sidewards thinking

Stop being a tool and keep your opinions to yourself, ya bloody tool!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby TEX07 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:49 pm

Booney wrote:Is a mark a mark if the ball is touched off the boot?

I actually did this Saturday - ball was kicked a little short to me and I stuck my boot out and hit it up on the full and then caught it - I claimed it as a mark but ump said it was off my boot so it's play on - it was all accidental - no skill whatsoever - still think it should have been a mark though, I was the only one who touched it!
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 am

You were being a tool because the mere presence of a thread "annoyed the shit out of you"

The rest of your opinion was fine.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby HH3 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 am

bennymacca wrote:You were being a tool because the mere presence of a thread "annoyed the shit out of you"

The rest of your opinion was fine.

The fact that people feel the need to discuss rule changes for the sake of it, and compare different sports to each other and say "this ones too unique, lets make it the same as every other sport" does give me the shits. Sorry if that hurts your feelings mate.

Dont make a thread if you dont want honest opinions. Not everyones gonna agree with or neccessarily like what you say all the time.

It doesnt make them tools. Im gonna call you names from now on every time you have an opinion different to mine.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 05, 2015 1:15 am

Where does it say I advocate changing the rule? It's called a discussion point for a reason. I'm not actually advocating changing the rule, it all started from the scoring discussion as mentioned.

And I never said make it like other sports, I was actually contrasting the differences between our sport and others, and exploring the flow on effects of a simple rule difference and how it could actually change the fabric of the game.

But that was probably all over your head.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby HH3 » Tue May 05, 2015 1:29 am

Where did i say you advocate it?

Where have I said anything about you at all?

These discussions in general annoy me. This isnt the first one and it wont be the last.

As you already said, the rest of my opinion was fine, so dont try and pinpoint other parts to try to put me down now.

Once you start name calling and insinuating Im not smart enough to understand what you're talking about, you make yourself look like a dickhead, not me.

Other people agreed with my first post, so you're actually calling 3 or 4 people tools.

Hope I conveyed my message well enough for you to get it mate...Im ungood wif wordz n things....
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Chuck Wepner » Tue May 05, 2015 7:45 am

Bennymacca, I think you should let it go. We simply don't think its worthy of serious discussion.
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby mal » Tue May 05, 2015 11:16 am

bennymacca wrote:Discussion of the rushed behind rule in the other thread got me thinking about a separate discussion I had the other day

Can you think of another game where you get a lesser score for conceding an "own goal" than actually kicking one yourself?

Off the top of my head I can't think of one.

Making a rushed point worth 6 would certainly liven the game up around the goal line.

It could also be used to remove the ambiguity around touched off the boot etc as this would now be irrelevant.

A further extension would be removing the requirement for the attacking team to kick the ball through but this would change the game a lot and would probably lead to rolling maul type situations near goals.

As a result you would still have different scores for attacking and defending teams punching or running the ball over which might not do away with the ambiguity at all.

Thought it was a decent discussion point even though I don't think it will ever be implemented.

Are there any other games that score differently in that regard?

Some interesting 'points' raised
Firstly , all sports, businesses , governments etc, at times need to evolve to be viable and competitive of the times
Sometimes those changes will be met with approval, sometimes with disdain

Heres some instances on how footy has evolved

The rushed behinds in a recent Geelong V Hawthorn Grand Final led to a rule change
That change has probably benny a good one ?

We now have video referrals for Goal Umpiring decisions
That change has probably benny a good one ?

When footy commenced in the in the late 1800s, there were actually no behinds as scores , just goals
I reckon it was about 1897 when behinds were counted in the VFL ?
So was that a change that was needed?

BM
Has raised the 'point' about the ambiguity of touched of the boot =????
So I wonder what the adjudication was if the ball was touched by the opposition and went through for a goal in the pre behinds days before 1900?
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1170 times
Been liked: 928 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue May 05, 2015 12:48 pm

back on topic, I think the whole reason that a rushed behind is not worth the same as a goal stems from the concept of a mark, which also seems to be unique to our sport. In other sports you dont need to differentiate between a ball that is touched on the way to you, but if you have the concept of a mark you do. Thus this inherently devalues a ball that is touched and such it makes sense to have it worth less.
bennymacca
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL