Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Losing Weight, Health, Body Building, Fitness, Exercising, Nutrition, etc.

Re: Marathon/Half Marathon Running

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Also, pels, apart from the light run, how do you pass the time that day before? I reckon I'd find too much sitting around and I'd be sluggish the next day, but similarly not too much walking or hot sun?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby mickey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 pm

Do u guys eat while mid marathon?

as a non runner, but keen cyclist eating and drinking is a vital part of a long day on the bike.. eg 80km +

maybe they could be useful topping up the energy levels mid run..

similar to these, brands vary obviously

mickey
Coach

Has liked: 139 times
Been liked: 314 times
Grassroots Team: Seaton Ramblers

Postby White Line Fever » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:21 pm

So the adelaide marathon is this Sunday.
$110 entry by 5pm Saturday.

Anyone done a marathon off no training.....?
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby asert » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:44 pm

Ha ha white line fever love your work. Would say the last half of your race will be quite brutal but if you don't mind what time you do it in you'll finish. I remember Hamish from Hamish and Andy laughed at Katie Holmes for her 5 hour New York Marathon so then he had to do it off no training and just beat her. (but spent next few days on crutches) If you do it strike off a week of work after. Let us know if your going to do it and I'll look for you at the line.
Pelz I'll be aiming for around the same time as you so I'd say we will be around each other for a fair chunk of the race. Ran 2:36 for hills to henley as a long run so im on target. Look for me I have a shaved head, tattoos and I'll be wearing the Adelaide singlet.
Mickey I use GU gels, they taste like sh1t but find them very good compared to others but I haven't tried that brand. Looking forward to it all being over, 30 weeks of marathon training is very much taking its toll now. I'm exhausted.
asert
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby White Line Fever » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:31 pm

I wouldn't be a complete minda I have done HUGE amount of distance running in past - albeit not this year!!
Did city to bay off no training last year and still got 52mins.
I'm seriously considering it - I only just watched the Olympic marathon last night and I'm pumped!!!

What are the other good marathons in Australia and what dates?
White Line Fever
League - Top 5

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 16 times

Postby pels » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:57 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Also, pels, apart from the light run, how do you pass the time that day before? I reckon I'd find too much sitting around and I'd be sluggish the next day, but similarly not too much walking or hot sun?

Your running 42km the next day, so put the feet up as much as possible, you wont be sluggish after few kms
pels
League Bench Warmer

Been liked: 7 times

Postby pels » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 am

Mickey, I never eat during a run, but if you are running for 5hrs plus you might need something in your stomach. Afterwards is different story I eat like horse
I personally don't use gels, but heaps of people do. Its personal choice and you have to find the right gels that agree with your stomach.

asert - I will look out for you and say hello, I'll be in all black shorts/shirt & hat.

Give it a go WLF, you seem to have good running base, the last 10km will be tough.
Melbourne marathon is on 14th October
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:51 am

pels wrote:Mickey, I never eat during a run, but if you are running for 5hrs plus you might need something in your stomach. Afterwards is different story I eat like horse
I personally don't use gels, but heaps of people do. Its personal choice and you have to find the right gels that agree with your stomach.

asert - I will look out for you and say hello, I'll be in all black shorts/shirt & hat.

Give it a go WLF, you seem to have good running base, the last 10km will be tough.
Melbourne marathon is on 14th October

We used gels in the GC marathon and during long training runs in the lead up... Make sure you have them with plenty of water and use them in training before in a race! Before I started to use them, at the end of the long runs I seem to get a bit disorientated and confused - put this done to running low on blood sugar?!?!?!

The gels seems to eliminate this... but as pels said its all person choice... and its true I love eating after the long runs - you can eat some serious amounts of food!!!! best part of running...
Havent been out over 20km since the marathon... starting to miss it.. might arc it up again soon - just got to shake this flu.

Good luck to those running on sunday - can wait to hear the report of how you all went in here!
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby asert » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm

Ended up with 3:38.00 so really happy with my run. Negative split on last 21 (1:51 and then 1:47). Not sure if I saw you Pels, are you about 5"5 and unshaven? Wasn't game to ask ha ha

Was a great event, volunteers were very encouraging and course was awesome
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby pels » Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:46 pm

Last 4-5 kms of the Marathon are brutal, finished up doing 3:45.
Very happy with that time with limited preparation this year.
Yeah that was me I reckon asert, I was too stuffed at the end to acknowledge anyone.
Have to agree the course was fantastic and so were the volunteers

Now to decide if I wanna do Yurebilla
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jase » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:36 am

Well done Asert and Pels...

Inspiring me on to next years Marthon... 8-[
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1490 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby scoob » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:27 pm

Fantastic work Pels and Asert - great times... good to hear you are both happy with your runs... How did you find the course and the fact it was 2 laps? Did the second lap have any element of boredom to it? Decent running weather? What were the numbers like?

Starting to get excited about having another go... might have look at the autumn runs... a nice cool autumn run!!!!
scoob
Veteran

Postby asert » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Conditions were perfect. Not cold and the rain stayed away. Course was great I really enjoyed the 2 laps knowing what was in front of me and with the way it goes thru north Adelaide first then over the river to port road then out to botanic gardens I had it in sections in my mind. Someone said there was 450 in the marathon and over 1500 entrants between the 42, 21 and 10km. Only thing I found was it was very congested on the 2nd lap thru botanical gardens while hitting the slower 10km and half marathoners. Made it hard for tired legs. Last 3km burned from the last drink station but knowing you are so close I came home about 20 sec per km faster than the rest of the race
asert
League Bench Warmer

Postby pels » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:19 pm

Weather was fantastic, course was nice and as Asert said you knew what was in front of you in the 2nd lap.
One advantage with a 2 lap course is it did make it feel like there was twice as many supporters cheering you on which was a good thing.
Very well organised event, km markers were all perfect, drink stations were easy to access and the course signage made it easy to navigate.

No boredom in the 2nd lap as your digging in just wanting to get to the finish line.
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Sounds good.. will seriously consider it next year... seems like to perfect time of year to hold it (if the rain stays away).

Just looking into the Yurebilla Run - looks awesome... Have lost a hell of a lot of fitness since GC but thinking about giving it a go - would undertake it as a more "relaxed" hike/run rather than a flat out run... would have no idea of aim time on something like that!
scoob
Veteran

Postby pels » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 pm

scoob wrote:Just looking into the Yurebilla Run - looks awesome... Have lost a hell of a lot of fitness since GC but thinking about giving it a go - would undertake it as a more "relaxed" hike/run rather than a flat out run... would have no idea of aim time on something like that!

Thats all I'm going to do is try and finish, going flat out could be carnage at the end
Speaking to the work collegue wo did it last year, going by marathon time I'm looking at anything from 7:30 to 8hrs would be a goal time.
There is another training run on Sat the 1st of Sept, you can either do one way 22km or go back and do 44km,not sure what I'm going to do but probably 44km just in prepartatin of whats in store.
anyone is welcome to come along
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby scoob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:34 pm

14kms in the hills the the furtherest I have been since the GCM so a little apphrensive about it all... Might try to do a 20km run this weekend - we are away in the Barossa... then try to get up and do Belair - Cleland the next weekend then try to do Cleland - finish the following weekend... I think our goal time would be 9hrs or so. Will assess our participation in a couple of weeks! The question is how much fitness can you lose in a month and a bit?!?!?!?! hahaha...
scoob
Veteran

Postby pels » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Another Brutal Yurrebilla training run today, those hills are killers.
Just after Montacute Rd in black hill conservation park there is a massive hill that is F*cken steep and goes for 4km.WTF
Hard enough today after 18km, let alone 50km on race day. 8-[
pels
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jase » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:06 pm

After doing a 15km run last week (farthest I've ever run) in training... Got 3kms into the long run of the week and twang, there goes the calf... Was a very painful walk home. :(
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1490 times
Been liked: 563 times

Postby scoob » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:08 pm

pels wrote:Another Brutal Yurrebilla training run today, those hills are killers.
Just after Montacute Rd in black hill conservation park there is a massive hill that is F*cken steep and goes for 4km.WTF
Hard enough today after 18km, let alone 50km on race day. 8-[

We were up there yesterday for a run... left Cleland and got to Horsnell Gully and back just over 18km after we missed a turn off - was reasonable flat so ran around 80% of it as a guess - ave around 8min/km... Myself and Mrs Scoob have been crook with the flu and missed a couple fo weeks of running... think that has put us out of the Yurebilla Ultra, its come around a tad too quick... will keep heading up into he hills and do a weekly session up there...

few weeks ago we did - ambers gully to morialta - so we ran down that hill adjacent montacute road (well the bits you could run - some parts were too steep to even run down!)- commented then it would be tough going up it... that is the last big one before the finish though get up that and you are home!
scoob
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Health & Fitness