The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Who has been the best test captain?

Ian Chappell
14%
Kim Hughes
No votes
Greg Chappell
No votes
Allan Border
14%
Mark Taylor
32%
Steve Waugh
29%
Ricky Ponting
7%
Michael Clarke
4%

Total votes : 28

Re: The best Aussie captain of the modern era?

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:50 pm

I reckon Tubby Taylor would get my vote. Mind you, I can only vaguely recall the end of Borders years.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Corona Man » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:21 pm

I've not voted yet, as I can't split I Chappell & M Taylor.....

I am older enough to remember him (I Chappell) playing, and captaining the team, although I was very young. To be honest I can only judge him on what he & others have said about his time as captain. He had a certain way of motivating his team/s in that era. He also had at his disposal some damn fine players.

I am not a fan of the way Taylor played, nor of his persona, but his captaincy was top shelf. Again he had some fine players at his disposal, Mc Grath, Gillespie, B Lee & Warne... with that attack you are going to get the 20 wickets to win a game more time than not.

Got me thinking.... does the captain make the team.... or does the team make the captain?

For me it's a combination of both....
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:27 pm

I think this is a somewhat fruitless exercise, as the fortunes of the captain are inextricably linked to their performances as a cricketer, and also the calibre of their teammates.

Taylor and Steve Waugh might have been great captains, but lets be honest, they didn't have to be - shit, things are going downhill, better put warne and one end and mcgrath at the other, problem solved. Having a full batting lineup of guys averaging mid 40s and above also helps.

I think how a captain handles themselves in the worst of times shows how good a leader they are, and I respect clarke immensely for the way he handled the Phil Hughes tragedy. Anyone trying to pot shot him now just reeks of sour grapes.

It was slightly before my time, but it seems Border was also one that through his sheer iron will managed to drag australian cricket off the canvass and into a better era - but once again he is also defined by the players around him, and If you interchanged Waugh and Border you would probably say the opposite things about them, if that makes sense.

Its a bit like comparing batsmen or bowlers across eras - it is just so hard to do
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:33 pm

AB for me taking over sooky lar lar Hughes.

AB 156 tests with average of 50.56 and Captain of 93 consecutive games in an era when the Windies put everyone to the sword still rate AB the finest cricketer they (GARNER/MARSHELL/HOLDING) played against.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:56 pm

Corona Man wrote:I've not voted yet, as I can't split I Chappell & M Taylor.....

I am older enough to remember him (I Chappell) playing, and captaining the team, although I was very young. To be honest I can only judge him on what he & others have said about his time as captain. He had a certain way of motivating his team/s in that era. He also had at his disposal some damn fine players.

I am not a fan of the way Taylor played, nor of his persona, but his captaincy was top shelf. Again he had some fine players at his disposal, Mc Grath, Gillespie, B Lee & Warne... with that attack you are going to get the 20 wickets to win a game more time than not.

Got me thinking.... does the captain make the team.... or does the team make the captain?

Fair call mate.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think this is a somewhat fruitless exercise, as the fortunes of the captain are inextricably linked to their performances as a cricketer, and also the calibre of their teammates.

Taylor and Steve Waugh might have been great captains, but lets be honest, they didn't have to be - shit, things are going downhill, better put warne and one end and mcgrath at the other, problem solved. Having a full batting lineup of guys averaging mid 40s and above also helps.

I think how a captain handles themselves in the worst of times shows how good a leader they are, and I respect clarke immensely for the way he handled the Phil Hughes tragedy. Anyone trying to pot shot him now just reeks of sour grapes.

It was slightly before my time, but it seems Border was also one that through his sheer iron will managed to drag australian cricket off the canvass and into a better era - but once again he is also defined by the players around him, and If you interchanged Waugh and Border you would probably say the opposite things about them, if that makes sense.

Its a bit like comparing batsmen or bowlers across eras - it is just so hard to do

A good captain extracts excellence from all of his players, I've been involved in at least 10 premierships but probably only once we had the best side in the comp.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

shoe boy wrote:AB for me taking over sooky lar lar Hughes.

AB 156 tests with average of 50.56 and Captain of 93 consecutive games in an era when the Windies put everyone to the sword still rate AB the finest cricketer they (GARNER/MARSHELL/HOLDING) played against.

Definitely the toughest!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:04 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I think this is a somewhat fruitless exercise, as the fortunes of the captain are inextricably linked to their performances as a cricketer, and also the calibre of their teammates.

A good captain extracts excellence from all of his players, I've been involved in at least 10 premierships but probably only once we had the best side in the comp.

That's true, but if you have basically the best Australian team ever on the park your job is certainly easier
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:09 pm

Was it because they picked the best 11 players going around at that time too?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Corona Man wrote:I've not voted yet, as I can't split I Chappell & M Taylor.....

Brett Lee never played under Taylor, McGrath was only young when he took over, Gillespie came in as a youngster during Taylor's captaincy. He had an ailing McDermott and some useful bowlers like Reiffel
He did have the advantage of Warne's flipper that Waugh didn't but Warne was far from a developed bowler (according to Warne himself) when Taylor took over. It was Taylor before he was captain and Matthews who helped Warne through his uncertainty.
Waugh had a superior and more mature bowling attack.
I rate Taylor and Clarke's captaincy superior to Waugh and Ponting as they knew how to handle their spinners better, whereas Waugh and Ponting gave the impression, if it wasn't for Warne, they would have preferred four quicks.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 176 times

Postby whufc » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:44 pm

I agree with Clarke handling things well then..........................................BUT

Realistically and not trying to sound to harsh but who would have handled that bad, every other person in Australia at that time would have done the same things.

I have a lot of respect for Clarke but just because you do one amazing deed doesn't automatically forget the 20 'shit' things you have done.

It reminds me a tad of an interview i saw with Rudi Giuliani (NY Mayor September 11) who spoke about how he was a hated figure but the disaster of September 11 made him looking amazing in the public eye when in fact he had more professional support and help around him then most of the victims etc etc, so actual fact he had an easier task as he was told where, when, what etc for everything he did.

I probably haven't explained myself very well.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby westozfalcon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:22 pm

For me it was down to Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor but I plumped for Taylor because he captained over a longer period. I reckon Chappell quit the job too soon.
westozfalcon
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 113 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:30 am

westozfalcon wrote:For me it was down to Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor but I plumped for Taylor because he captained over a longer period. I reckon Chappell quit the job too soon.

That was because Chappell didn't want to get the Bill Lawry treatment. Chappell wins hands down as the best captain for mine.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:For me it was down to Ian Chappell and Mark Taylor but I plumped for Taylor because he captained over a longer period. I reckon Chappell quit the job too soon.

That was because Chappell didn't want to get the Bill Lawry treatment. Chappell wins hands down as the best captain for mine.

regards,

REB

"The bastards won't do that to me." - I. Chappell
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:32 am

Chappell also believed that about 5 years was right for a captain, and somehow it seems to work out about right - our last four captains have been there for roughly that long.
Puts into context how great an effort Border's was.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:55 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Chappell also believed that about 5 years was right for a captain, and somehow it seems to work out about right - our last four captains have been there for roughly that long.

Assuming smith plays into his mid 30s he may well buck that trend though, but i guess thats more a reflection of the fact that we dont have a seasoned 30 year old ready to step up like you otherwise would
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Chappell also believed that about 5 years was right for a captain, and somehow it seems to work out about right - our last four captains have been there for roughly that long.

Assuming smith plays into his mid 30s he may well buck that trend though, but i guess thats more a reflection of the fact that we dont have a seasoned 30 year old ready to step up like you otherwise would

Was a good debate on SEN this morning about who should become our new VC .. Not a lot of great options at the moment. Warner seemed to fit the bill best in terms of his standing in the team, but then of course there's the outspoken aspect which would have to come into calculations. Outside of he and Smith there's not really any established batsman alternative, the keeper position isn't locked in, and there's usually a reluctance to have a bowler in a leadership position.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 pm

I like Lyon as VC.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:44 pm

Q. wrote:I like Lyon as VC.

Agree he is the best man for the position at the moment.

The only argument though is should your VC be seen as your next captain, the successor if you like, if that's the case Lyon probably will never be the next captain.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Yeah, Lyon is probably the best of a thin field.
Him, Warner and Johnson are probably the only other players guaranteed a spot.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket