The final cost of Labor's carbon tax......

Labor, Liberal, Greens, Democrats? Here's the place to discuss.

Re: The final cost of Labor's carbon tax......

Postby Q. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:31 am

Lying politicians?! No way!
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby southee » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:50 am

Maybe bring it i up with Adelaide Now....or the reporter for the story Fish.

FACT is Gillard lied....period. Its not misinformation.....they announce policy without a price??? What a dangerous and totally unprofessional thing to do.

FACT is people in the community are totally scared of this tax. They are holding on spending with fear of not even knowing the price of something that has been announced.....is it like the New Price Is Right ?? A game Show......"Place you bids people.....$230....$450....$880???" Its like a bloody travel auction!!!!

You can pay it Fish....go for your life...you can afford to feed your kids, pay your mortgage , go a a nice holiday...but, for some it is a scary thought of the unknown and trust me Fish...people out there are doing it tough!!!! They need a break from more taxes and fee hikes!!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 861 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby fish » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:23 am

Southee I understand your concerns regarding the proposed tax, it is the spin and misinformation you use to voice that concern that I have a problem with.

I've had another look at the Advertiser article and nowhere does it say that this is the final cost of the tax, and they also admit the quoted figures are before the compensation is factored in. They make no mention of the opportunity for people to avoid some or all of the tax by reducing their consumption, but this has rarely been mentioned anywhere so that is no surprise.

Interestingly, one place where the word "final" is mentioned in the article is where they quote the governments prediction: Until the final design and modelling have been settled, anyone who uses these figures to scare families about prices is engaging in a dishonest, misleading scare campaign.

Southee you have made this prediction come true!
fish
Coach

Has liked: 184 times
Been liked: 48 times

Postby Bully » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Quichey wrote:If individuals gave a **** about their ecological footprint they could save $16 a week by being more energy conscious.

agreed. Instead of watching TV all night, turn it off an hour earlier, or not go on the computer for a few nights. Or not have a hot coffee every morn or night. Plenty of ways to reduced your ommissions -

when your mobile phone has finished charging unplug the charger instead of leaving it in until the next charge.

this reduces energy usage,which reduces carbon, which saves you money on your next power bill. I have 3 flat mates in my unit and 3 monthly power bill is 250 ...thats for 3 people for 3 months....
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Bully » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:49 pm

SJABC wrote:
Quichey wrote:Get up at 4AM and walk the 20km to work...

I need my car for work, and besides my fuel for my job is paid for by my company, so next suggestion ?

instead of being on Safooty every night, maybe reduce your computer usage (saves energy). I dont know what you do in your own time and dont need to know but maybe turn TV off and hour earlier (saves energy)

Do you have a hot coffee every morn and night? Maybe have one in the morning (saves energy)?
Do you have an electric blanket or a heater? Dont use it maybe buy another blanket and get warm during winter by your body heat? (saves energy).....etc etc
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:36 pm

As I mentioned elsewhere I could cut down electricity usage in the very cold winters up here by gradually burning the many trees on my block.
But that poses other problems and dilemmas...

Regarding this particular Carbon Tax plan, I think any government would have been wise to have worked out the details before announcing the plan at all.
That would have eliminated the uncertainty that makes room for wild speculation and panic to set in.
But, I assume, there was some other motive for making a immediate announcement before it was all thought through.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm

1 Labor Government announces the details up front - "no consultation, ramming legislation through"

2 Labor Government says they'll consult first - "no detail, they shouldn't announce it until it's all finalised".

Inevitable result of option 1 - scare campaign, "we'll all be rooned"

Inevitable result of option 2 - scare campaign, "we'll all be rooned" :D
redandblack

Postby Psyber » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:36 pm

What is wrong with option 3 - announcing a fully thought through plan, and still offering to take submissions on the whole package, and consider them?
That approach would enable full consultation, and not leave room for speculation about whether they have no idea or what they have to hide.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby redandblack » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:17 pm

I agree with that, Psyber, you're right, but unfortunately it rarely happens on either side of politics.
redandblack

Postby whufc » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:22 pm

Psyber wrote:What is wrong with option 3 - announcing a fully thought through plan, and still offering to take submissions on the whole package, and consider them?
That approach would enable full consultation, and not leave room for speculation about whether they have no idea or what they have to hide.

That logic could be applied to the Adelaide Oval re-development.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby redandblack » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:12 am

They already have, it's only the No voters who think otherwise.

Cricket thread.
redandblack

Postby redandblack » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:27 am

Back on topic, the tax is reckoned to cost a sausage sandwich :)

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/money/car ... 6043300701

What scare campaign :?
redandblack

Previous

Board index   General Talk  Politics