Crows 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2014

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:38 am

[quote="bennymacca"]

more specifically on the game, i was a bit worried really early as brisbane seemed to have no pressure running through the midfield, and got a couple of really easy goals, but after that our midfield just got on top and it was all over from there. Im still slightly worried rockliff got 40 touches in a side that got smashed so comprehensively - it shows that without VB or Kerridge we probably cant shut players down, and that can hurt us against good teams i think.

Does this really matter when the guy had half of those possessions coming out the back half (and not really being damaging with it) and half of them again were give and go's which were not required in that bit of play?

I am not saying that it doesn't hurt us (and any team for that matter) when a player is dominating and using the ball well, but most teams have 3 or 4 players in lineup that can be damaging so I think a "run with" player is not as much as a concern for me as us being cleaner with the ball when we have it etc. There is the need for that type of player, but I think they need to be able to earn their own ball as much as shut down the opposition or if not, you just play an extra ball winning midfielder.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Has liked: 156 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:44 am

fair point, i agree with you.

but for instance, if this was richmond next week and we allowed cotchin or boomer to get 40, that could very well be the difference between a win and a loss. it wasnt this week because rocky was basically playing a lone hand for them (he is really good to watch) but it could matter much more against other teams.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:59 am

bennymacca wrote:fair point, i agree with you.

but for instance, if this was richmond next week and we allowed cotchin or boomer to get 40, that could very well be the difference between a win and a loss. it wasnt this week because rocky was basically playing a lone hand for them (he is really good to watch) but it could matter much more against other teams.

I think Cotchin falls under the same category as I mentioned with Rockliff. A lot of his possessions are those little gets coming out of the defensive half, and he doesn't push forward with I50's as often as what his numbers (ave 26.4 disposals) show.

Rebound 50 - ave 2 per game
Inside 50 - ave 3 per game
Goald - 0.9 per game

So while he may get 40 touches, stats show that they aren't always going to be in damaging positions.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Sorry Dude wrote:

I think Cotchin falls under the same category as I mentioned with Rockliff. A lot of his possessions are those little gets coming out of the defensive half, and he doesn't push forward with I50's as often as what his numbers (ave 26.4 disposals) show.

Goald - 0.9 per game

So while he may get 40 touches, stats show that they aren't always going to be in damaging positions.

Was more just trying to pick out someone who can be damaging but in a better team. Change that to Martin if you want.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Sorry Dude » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:07 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:

Goald - 0.9 per game

Was more just trying to pick out someone who can be damaging but in a better team. Change that to Martin if you want.

I know what you mean (just keeping the conversation going ;) ). I was just showing that always having a "run with" player isn't a scenario worth following every week. Martin is a quality impact player, but goes missing enough by himself to not warrant that type of attention.

Then again, maybe Cotchin's numbers aren't what they usually are because he is getting that quality "run with" player in his hip pocket all day.
Sorry Dude
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:09 pm

So how we gonna go this week?

I think in general we match up pretty well against the tigers, and despite their good form I think we should have a good win, but you can never be sure this season.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:12 pm

bennymacca wrote: I think we should have a good win, but you can never be sure this season.

Purched up on that fence again I see...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5510 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:13 pm

Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote: I think we should have a good win, but you can never be sure this season.

Purched up on that fence again I see...

yeah good one. :roll:

hows that north melbourne top four prediction going?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby westcoastpanther » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:15 pm

Richmond played Friday night, us Sunday in hot conditions with two left after half time.

West Coast also had an extra days break when they got us.

Worried.....
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:17 pm

to be honest, i think saying 24 degrees is hot is a bit of a copout. it wasnt high 30s (which happens sometimes in pre season)

combined with a 6 day break it could have a bigger effect but i still dont think it will make too much of a difference.

if we dont get up for this game it goes without saying we dont deserve to play finals
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:18 pm

Still a chance beleive it or not.
I think we can do it if we win our last 3, but the bulldogs always give us trouble and might beat us. Our record in Tassie is ok so we should beat the crows down there - unless they play well & we don't then we might lose. Melbourne is our last game which I would put down as a certain win unless one of the seasons biggest upsets occurs & it could spell curtains for us.
I just don't know ;)
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5510 times
Been liked: 5141 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:29 pm

Spargo wrote:Still a chance beleive it or not.
I think we can do it if we win our last 3, but the bulldogs always give us trouble and might beat us. Our record in Tassie is ok so we should beat the crows down there - unless they play well & we don't then we might lose. Melbourne is our last game which I would put down as a certain win unless one of the seasons biggest upsets occurs & it could spell curtains for us.
I just don't know ;)

you have to win your last 3 (likely) but the power have to lose to gold coast and carlton but beat freo, and freo have to lose to brisbane, the power, and hawthorn.

it aint happening mate :D
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:34 pm

what is funny is that the crows might not want to smash st kilda in the final round, because if they do that, they could jump above west coast and into 7th, and have to travel to north melbourne, but if they stay 8th they could play the power in the first round.

obviously a long way to go
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:So how we gonna go this week?

I think in general we match up pretty well against the tigers, and despite their good form I think we should have a good win, but you can never be sure this season.

I reckon you'll be flatter than a Sprite after playing two short in the heat. The Tigers have won their last six and have found some resilience that was missing for most of the year. The Tiges have won on the road this year and your home record isn't all that flash. Neither side will play four quarters and for me it's Tigers by a couple of goals.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:46 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:Richmond played Friday night, us Sunday in hot conditions with two left after half time.

Worried.....

Strangely I heard Adelaide had 31 of their 120 allowed interchanges left unused.

You'd think with only two on the bench and the "heat" Sando was whining about they would have used all 120 rotations.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7513 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:
westcoastpanther wrote:Richmond played Friday night, us Sunday in hot conditions with two left after half time.

Worried.....

Strangely I heard Adelaide had 31 of their 120 allowed interchanges left unused.

You'd think with only two on the bench and the "heat" Sando was whining about they would have used all 120 rotations.

I thought Sando raised a good point, but the heat seemed to affect the Lions more than his side.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 pm

Booney wrote:

Worried.....

Perhaps the players just had longer spells off. Would be interesting to see stats of time players spend on the bench when coming off
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Booney wrote:

Worried.....

well pretty hard to make more interchanges when you have less options on the bench, given you usually see double and sometimes triple changes after goals etc.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Worried.....

I thought Sando raised a good point, but the heat seemed to affect the Lions more than his side.

regards,

REB

It did seem to impact more on the young Lions, but they were running around in circles chasing shadows much of the afternoon.

Perhaps the Gold Coast should ask the AFL for a "please explain" when they have to play in Tasmania in the middle of June?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

Worried.....

well pretty hard to make more interchanges when you have less options on the bench, given you usually see double and sometimes triple changes after goals etc.

It's only 1 less option.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL