Round 5 & its ensuing palaver.

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 5 & its ensuing palaver.

Postby Dutchy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:15 pm

So Richmond have dropped 1 player after last weeks game? :)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3565 times

Postby MW » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:39 pm

Probably same reason Port only dropped two
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby stan » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:03 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast
Bulldogs
Port
GWS
Freo
Richmond
Collingwood

Just back to this. You actually think the crows will get up tonight?

Serious question.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby David Brent » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:So Richmond have dropped 1 player after last weeks game? :)

Two out injured & 3 dropped....???
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:48 pm

stan wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Adelaide
Sydney
Gold Coast
Bulldogs
Port
GWS
Freo
Richmond
Collingwood

Just back to this. You actually think the crows will get up tonight?

Serious question.

Yeah I do, our forward line isnt functioning well and the Crows defence has improved markedly.
We will get the job done on their forwards but it wont be enough, Eddie will emphatically put to bed any comparisons with Cyril yet again.
Strangely enough the Crows are also a better contested team without Patrick.
Having said all that i Cant put a value on our pride and abillty to knock over any of the serious challengers, if we treat them the same as the Eagles we will win comfortably, just not sure that we see the Crows that way just yet. 4th is about the best case scenario for us at the end of the minor round imo
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 pm

My write up for the family tips

This weeks games are anyones.  I can pick 8 different winners, the only 'sure' thing seems to be Freo!  Even Collingwood and Essendon has tightened up.  Who would've thought that at the start of the year?  Let's go through them in more detail.

Hawthorn vs Adelaide, Friday night at the G.

What a ripper this should be.  Hawthorn were lucky to sneak past the Saints thanks to slipping a schmifty into the g-banger of the umpires.  Think I mentioned that last week too.  Hmm.  Someone has a vested interest in a fourpeat.  Adelaide have started well but they don't play many games at the G, nor do they play many on a Friday night.  I think I'm leaning toward the Hawks in a real close one but team selection could be vital.  As I write this, Sauce Jacobs and Milera have pulled up sore and will be in some doubt.  The Hawks seem to have skipped injuries and tribunal this week so they may only strengthen their list.

Sydney vs West Coast, Saturday at the SCG.

This should be another cracker.  West Coast from memory don't play well on the crowded SCG and I know well that Sydney do.  West Coast wouldn't have been bruised last week after playing Richmond, the Swans on the other hand would be sore after running into the Adelaide Oval turf chasing Tex's men.  Hard one to pick this one..... but I think Sydney again in a close one just because of home ground advantage.

Gold Coast vs North Melbourne, Saturday at Metricon

North are top for the first time after 4 rounds since I was in my 20's!  Gold Coast lost their full back and against Waite and Petrie, that could prove costly.  North have a pretty ordinary record against the Suns, having lost their last three outings against them, even losing in Melbourne in 2014 by nearly 10 goals.  North are playing pretty convincingly this year though and Gold Coast, despite being 3-1 haven't beaten anyone this side of the black stump.  Their wins are against Essendon, Freo and Carlton (currently 16th, 17th and 18th on the ladder).  Their loss against Brisbane (14th) confirms that they might only be a good-ordinary side.  North for me.

Western Bulldogs vs Brisbane, Saturday at Etihad

5th game in a row at Etihad for the new favourite tenants as they take on Brisbane who notched their first win.  Obviously in doubt for this clash is Stef Martin who was put into the middle of this week by Stephen May on Saturday.  Thankfully Martin is ok but if he doesn't come up it makes the Lions task all that more difficult.  The doubt will still be over Boyd and Easton Wood both recovering from short term injuries.  Bullies half back line has been decimated with Murphy and Johannisen going down in the past two weeks, the latter going for up to 4 months with a hamstring tendon strain. If this was in Brisbane, I'd tip the Lions but I can't see them running the Bulldogs off their feet despite them being unimpressive against the Blues last week.

Port vs Geelong, Saturday at Adelaide Oval

Wow.  Do Port need a win or what?  They were heartless, spineless, thoughtless and careless in their 86 point thumping at the hands of the Giants.  Were the Giants that good or were Port that bad?  Port were THAT bad.  Didn't run, didn't chase and when they did gave away stupid free kicks.  Punched blokes in the guts for no reason (because they're tough down the Port way!) and managed to get away with it.  Dixon needs a run in the magoos but there is no one in form to replace him.  Boak and Gray are only just holding the team together.  The Cats on the other hand are doing enough.  Their record here is 1-1 (At Adelaide Oval) having beaten Port last year by 23 points.  Port look weaker than that and the Cats look stronger.  Port will bounce back but how far?  Cats for mine in a close one.

St Kilda vs GWS, Sunday at Etihad

Two weeks ago after the Bulldogs smashed the Saints, you could pencil this in as a big win for GWS.  GWS beating the Cats that same weekend.  Then last week they smash Port!  But the Saints also went well against the reigning premiers so this promises to be a very tight contest.  The difference for me is in attack.  Cameron will be back for the Giants which bolsters them and the Saints deficiency looks to me to be defence.  Giants, just away from home.

Fremantle vs Carlton, Sunday at Domain

If you thought at the start of the season, Rd 5 would dish up this tasty little morsel of 17th vs 18th, then you'd be CRAZY.  Well, you'd get one from two.  Carlton are playing well despite not getting anywhere near a win in the past three games.  Likewise Freo although they almost snatched it from North last week despite falling away quickly in the last.  They should notch up their first win pretty comfortably against an ever depleted Blues.

Melbourne vs Richmond, Sunday at the G

Tell me again, Essendon beat Melbourne.............how?  Melbourne were sensational against Collingwood yesterday.  They looked like an organised football side.  Collingwood didn't.  Collingwood are a very overrated side having been talked up in the media all off season about their squad.  I had them in the bottom 6-8 and I think I might be slightly wrong.  They have the capability of stinking it up and making bottom 4.  Richmond, the less said the better.  They have list cloggers galore on their list and seem to reward 'break out years' with extended long term contracts where every other club seems to do the 'wait and see' approach to contract negotiation.  Seriously, Hardwick has been kissed on the wick.  Melbourne, if they bring that game again will win this easily and questions must be asked of Richmond, their coaching, trading and recruiting.

Finally, the blockbuster... Collingwood vs Essendon, Monday at the G.

Will anyone turn up?  Yeh they will but only because of tradition.  After the pre match tributes, the last post and a stirring minutes' silence, most will head over to the titty bar on Punt Rd and enjoy getting blotto.  Who cares who wins this?  Some spud will pick up an ANZAC day medal which will make it mean even less over the journey.  Can I tip a draw?

Best of luck everyone, should be really hard round to tip
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:41 pm

Already the best Friday night game this year and it's not even qtr time
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3033 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:44 pm

You can see why Phil Walsh was so hell bent on getting McGovern. He shows truckloads of promise!
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby carey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Crows killing them on the rebound. Slone going great guns, Hill needs touch back and Hartung is shit.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brodlach » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Eddie :shock:
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Robran » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Prohibited contact wtf never New that was a rule
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:53 pm

What a joke this policing of the protected area through the line of the mark :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:55 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Already the best Friday night game this year and it's not even qtr time

Yep, what a start!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1533 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby carey » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:09 pm

Great game
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Brodlach » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Gee the Hawks are a good team
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby JK » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Jeez Lever is a beauty. Cracking game and Pup, great mark and goal, awesome!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Big fan of his but Laird having an ordinary night
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:32 pm

20 goal first half. This is a ripper!
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1533 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Corona Man » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Decent game here...a matter of who hangs in the longest and executes the skills best when it's tight. Respect to the crows who have applied great pressure in the first half. So who is missing Richmond and Carlton so far on a Friday night??
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:35 pm

Without having the view of the full oval i suspect the Crows are having trouble getting it out of our F50 because they have a couple cheats ahead of the footy and are outnumbered where it matters allowing us to keep pumping it back in. When they get through they get easy goals but its not going to happen that often
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL