Father/Son Rule

Talk on the national game

Postby sydney-dog » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:49 pm

Wegie

Mate, I never listen to Dumb and Dumber when I lived in Adel, now I live in Sydney I definitely do not listen to them

Back to your mathematical equation, your formula is flawed, firstly I would encourage you to look at data that is available on all club websites, and work out how many players for each club meet the qualification criteria against the current standards...

If you chose to test a high level formula or hypothesis, this needs to be supported by data, only this this data collection can you determine if the current standard creates a fair playing field, so it is not as simplistic as your simple maths
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:59 pm

sydney-dog wrote:Wegie

Mate, I never listen to Dumb and Dumber when I lived in Adel, now I live in Sydney I definitely do not listen to them

Back to your mathematical equation, your formula is flawed, firstly I would encourage you to look at data that is available on all club websites, and work out how many players for each club meet the qualification criteria against the current standards...

If you chose to test a high level formula or hypothesis, this needs to be supported by data, only this this data collection can you determine if the current standard creates a fair playing field, so it is not as simplistic as your simple maths

I was explaining to you why the rule is as it is, Im not sure how its flawed. Its an explanation of why the rule is as it is.
If someone else wants to work out how many players played 100 VFL games during a similar period to the Crows and Port qualification they're welcome to.
Personally I dont have an issue with the system so I"m not going to.

If people want to prove its not fair (and I honestly dont know if it is or not but assume its pretty close to the money) they're welcome to follow it up.

My post in regard to Dumb and Dumber wasn't in regard to you mate, just a major reason why so many mindless people over here have a huge chip on their shoulder because they think the whole world is anti SA. Its quite sad.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Wedgie wrote:
sydney-dog wrote:Wegie

I was explaining to you why the rule is as it is, Im not sure how its flawed. Its an explanation of why the rule is as it is.
If someone else wants to work out how many players played 100 VFL games during a similar period to the Crows and Port qualification they're welcome to.
Personally I dont have an issue with the system so I"m not going to.

If people want to prove its not fair (and I honestly dont know if it is or not but assume its pretty close to the money) they're welcome to follow it up.

My post in regard to Dumb and Dumber wasn't in regard to you mate, just a major reason why so many mindless people over here have a huge chip on their shoulder because they think the whole world is anti SA. Its quite sad.

Dumb and Dumber is a nice way to put that show. lol
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby sydney-dog » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:10 pm

Wedgie

I total agree with you on the SA mindset at times, I am an Adelaide boy, love everything about SA but at times I got peed off with peoples conspiracy theory that all was against SA.....

Of course at times I questioned this myself, especially in times of Australian Cricket sides been selected for tours, but anyway that is a seperate topic.......

For closure on this particular topic and we may have to agree to disagree, at times certain strategies are introduce on what seems fair on a high level strategy without actually understanding the base data, in this case, on the information I have seen, the base data does not support the current law as being fair and equal.
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:15 pm

sydney-dog wrote:For closure on this particular topic and we may have to agree to disagree, at times certain strategies are introduce on what seems fair on a high level strategy without actually understanding the base data, in this case, on the information I have seen, the base data does not support the current law as being fair and equal.

I don't think we need to disagree on anything. Someone asked why the rule is as it is, I explained that.
I don't know if its fair or not, as I said I'd need more info.
I'd be interested to see your data, that way I could make up my mind one way or the other.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:28 am

Oh well, if that's the rule who's up for grabs in the coming years.
The only one from the Chooks that Port could possibly grab in the near future is David Tillers son, who is in the u14's squad, won the 2k time trial, has a lot of skill & played well for the u13's last year.
We also have A Jarmans son in the 13's, Grenvilles son Sam in the 15's, & a couple of others, but I'm pretty sure that they don't qualify in the 200+ club.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:53 am

Wouldn't ANJ son qualify ander the 100 game rule for Adelaide, I thought he got 100 games in for Adelaide, please correct me if I'm wrong....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:08 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Wouldn't ANJ son qualify ander the 100 game rule for Adelaide, I thought he got 100 games in for Adelaide, please correct me if I'm wrong....

Sorry Tassie, I would'nt know.
Just to make your week starter though, there's a couple of Kernahans running around in the 13's, & they live in Manningham, smack in the guts of Roosterland.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Postby am Bays » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:23 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Sorry Tassie, I would'nt know.
Just to make your week starter though, there's a couple of Kernahans running around in the 13's, & they live in Manningham, smack in the guts of Roosterland.

muttermuttercursecurse

maybe a family cousin will pay the $3000 transfer fee a la Nic Fosdike when he played in the Glenelg U/15s.... :D :D
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:40 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:
Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Sorry Tassie, I would'nt know.

muttermuttercursecurse

maybe a family cousin will pay the $3000 transfer fee a la Nic Fosdike when he played in the Glenelg U/15s.... :D :D

5 Grand now, Norwood have paid that to North over a couple of young fellas over the past 3 years. North also paid that transfer to the Eags last year for one young fella in the 13's.
BTW, the Kernahans mentioned are only distant relations to the Glenelg ones.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Postby Leaping Lindner » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:27 am

1980 Tassie Medalist wrote:Wouldn't ANJ son qualify ander the 100 game rule for Adelaide, I thought he got 100 games in for Adelaide, please correct me if I'm wrong....

Yep. As will Fud's lad. 8)
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby JK » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:56 am

At the Parade/Coopers Brad Thomas (son of Keith) is playing U/17's or 19's and Jesse Aish (son of Michael) is playing Ressies or League this season
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby GWW » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:37 pm

The father/son rule is a joke just as every other aspect of the AFL's administration is - draft, draft concessions to Northern states that result in premierships - also refer salary cap concessions, 2 SA AFL clubs to alternate as teams playing in WA last round, last year's tribunal system, priority pick system.

Its hard to believe the world's best (spectator) sport has the world's worst administation.

I would go as far as saying the only worthwhile policy implemented by the AFL is the rookie (draft) sytem.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Dissident » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:15 pm

Wedgie wrote:The Crows trying to change the rules so games count after they were formed for another club is absolutely ridiculous

Sounds rediculous - though I don't think many if any of the players had kids then, or were conceiving. In reality, there's a gap there

In fact I don't even know WHY there is a year specified. Not an initial year anyway. If some guy played in the 60s and had a son who just turned 17 or something now, that's till father son isn't it? Ok maybe my maths is a bit out - but still ...

I beleive John Paynter's son is eligable under the FS rule to Adelaide too.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby doggies4eva » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:18 pm

The Father/Son rule is grossly unfair to Collywobbles.

How would a son know if his father played for that team?
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Punk Rooster » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:27 pm

doggies4eva wrote:The Father/Son rule is grossly unfair to Collywobbles.

How would a son know if his father played for that team?
Quiet you...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL