Search found 107 matches

Return

Re: Draftees

Money use to go the club $50k from memory part of that to his local club
Now money goes into pool and evenly distributed to all 8 clubs.

No incentive, just leads to slackness and laziness.
The AFL is smart. They know SANFL clubs just want to improve and development is the cheapest and most efficient way of doing it. Clubs are forced to develop. We need the blame the SANFL and John Olsen for letting the AFL get away with it.
I can slightly understand juniors but overage player should get the club a transfer fee.

"goddy11" very good point about mature draftees. Our club should bring it up with the SANFL.

Refer Friday's Advertiser. The shite article written by simeon thomas-wilson "Bobby takes the credit" , about who at the power discovered our Lachy Jones. Never read so match crap. Heard they do very,very little development of their northern YP zone. NOT ONE mention of the Eagles in his development in this article. The power love to big note themselves and don't care about anyone else. The power were highly critical of the EAGLES for promoting Lachy so much before the draft because they didn't want him to go high so they would lose more points. Hypocrites!!!!!!
by ferret
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2021 Player movements

whybother wrote:Good luck with Kerrish.
I don’t think he’s up to it.

Sheedy did a good job with a lot of unknowns in 2020 to put together a Premiership team. Time will tell.

He chased the Eagles. Has friends at the Eagles, would have been given no promises and told to chance his luck.
by ferret
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2021 SEASON

Bays new retro guernsey commemorating the 1934 flag and celebrating their 100 years with all the players names on it that they'll wear at their first home match and most away matches looks great!

CENTENARY-GUERNSEY-AD (2).png

Don't think they will be able to wear it as an away guernsey against the Eagles.
by ferret
Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:03 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 Centrals v North Friday 2.10 PM

Running around racking up 35 possessions a game with little impact isnt what Thommo wants i believe .He wants a team the play for each other and all on the same page and he got that yesterday, no individuals just a team orientated mindset .

Wasn't a team player at the Eagles that's why they let him go. Eagles refreshed with juniors, bought in players from lesser competitions, a more attacking style of game and bingo a premiership without Boyd.

Fresh players, a new coach, renewed enthusiasm can do wonders.
by ferret
Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 Glenelg v WWT Saturday 1610

I think the Eagles are looking at a short term ruck issue with West going down Saturday and Redden still recovering from surgery. Jack Hayes may need to do a NicNat roles . Cooler weather will help.

I thought in at least one of our trial games that they named one of our new recruits - Mills - in the ruck position. I don't know anything about him other than he seemed to have a quiet game in the reserves on the weekend. But maybe he could come in?

Mills played one trial game as a ruck, didn't impress in this position, but for the sake of not messing too much with the set up I think it will be a straight swap Mills for West. Hayes to do more rucking. I think Zane Williams is well ahead of Harry Morgan for a forward spot. Would like to see Mitch Hardie get a game.
Sam Michael a bit short for a league ruckman and doesn't jump that much, although he plays well in the reserves, in his favour is that he is a ruckman. This is his third year out of the U18s.
by ferret
Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:15 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

Club's best players at presentations.

1) J. Hayes
2) R. Knight
3) T Stengle

Many received very honourable mentions.

Reserves:
1) Jordan Kasianowicz
2) Tom Schmusch
3) Cooper Sharman
by ferret
Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Eagles v Adelaide Saturday 2.10PM

Coach Jade Sheedy has the ability to identify up and coming youngsters and give them opportunities to settle and develop. Last year it appeared he had a group of four, Wehr, Jones, McNeil and Mansell that were given every chance to advance their game. This year it appears to be Zane Williams, Ben Jungfer, Mitchell Mead, Kai Pudney and Luke Beecken. It must be gratifying and encouraging for these youngsters to have this great support to improve their games. The implementation of Jade's game plan through the grades makes it much easier when the youngsters step up a grade.
by ferret
Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R5 Port v Eagles Sunday 2.10PM

Could Sharman be the taller forward some eagles fans have been calling for ?

Really good to see Sharman and Beecken named in the squad. Both 20 year olds have been playing well in the reserves. Don't think Sharman is quite ready to be a KPF yet, but could be an excellent mobile third tall forward. He moves very well, is very athletic, a good kick, high leaper and two sided. Could be a future star. Luke Beecken I thought was sensational in the reserves last week. He ran and ran, must have gained a lot of meterage. Must have pleased the coach who would be looking at running half backs after last years fantastic trio left. If Sharman and Beecken make their debuts I think it will be 21 players that coach Jade Sheedy has introduced to league football via the Eagles in 22 matches. Not a bad effort!
by ferret
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:37 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R7 West v WWT Saturday 1310

Patrick Giuffreda, the epitome of a great club man. A sensational person. Very approachable, always has time for a decent chat. Not overly conspicuous on the football field but would never let the team down, just consistent, solid and reliable, he would lead the 90% of players the coach would spend minimal time on and worrying about. Let's hope the team gives him a two hundredth to remember.
by ferret
Thu May 20, 2021 1:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I reckon we have unearthed another young talent - Beecken. Played a very good game.

How do you pick 'best' when the team wins by 100 points? A case of all played well.

Only downer was Lonergan going down with injury AGAIN! I don't think he has every played more than 3-4 games in a row for us !!!!

Luke Beecken has been on the radar for a while now. Carefully nurtured by the club and now being nicely polished by the senior coach.
With three senior players coming in to the league team our coach held to his belief that Beecken has excellent potential and kept him in the team. The club and coach were well rewarded, an added bonus was two nice goals.
As it turned out, it was a good game to bring back Kobe Mutch and Dane McFarlane after missing a fair bit of footy through injury, it helped them find touch and get used to the team system.
Really loved the insertion of Ben Jungfer in to the middle during the second quarter, his strong body work and fearless desperation for the ball helped in getting numerous clearances. Is Jungfer's mid field sorties a part of the future in case Riley Knight is redrafted or just a progression in his football development?
by ferret
Sun May 23, 2021 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not sure where to put this but out of curiosity what were Eagles fans thoughts on Issac Moller and Joe Heinjus...…….Issac in particular having a blinding season in the Mid North leading the goal scoring with ease.

I think you might have mentioned Isaac Moller previously. I remember him playing a few reserves games, one in particular against Norwood where he kicked seven goals. Looked very promising, but got badly injured and just couldn't get back to playing at a reasonable level. I have noticed his name appearing in mid north games but don't know the quality of his football. The club appears to have moved on from him. Joe Heinjus was a steady reserves player, played a couple of league games, didn't set the league on fire. I think he chose to leave and play with his brothers. Don't think he would have made it as a regular league player at the Eagles.
by ferret
Mon May 24, 2021 12:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R8 Eagles v Norwood Saturday 1410

Jade Rawlings and the Norwood players came back to the Eagles club for a drink after the game. The Norwood contingent were very gracious and Rawlings even made a little speech and announced Norwood's best player. It was a great touch to after match celebrations. Well done Norwood.
by ferret
Sun May 30, 2021 8:05 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Come on "Doc" name the Eagles player you say is leaving at the end of June. You can't start an allegation without finishing it. Credibility is on the line here.
by ferret
Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:36 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Centrals v Eagles Saturday 1410

Come on "Doc" name the Eagles player you say is leaving at the end of June. You can't start an allegation without finishing it. Credibility is on the line here.

Fine. You win.

Cooper Sharman.

Just DON'T believe you. You mentioned the unnamed player was leaving after the end of June. When you originally posted your rumour Sharman didn't even know he would be drafted by St Kilda. Generally all newly drafted players would have been well gone before the end of June. You'll have to try better than that.
by ferret
Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Grade Cricket

Very interesting to see the poaching tactic of WT this season. Does bring up the question why the younger players Crouch, Carrington, Pointon etc have not progressed compared to others their age? Have WT missed the boat in developing the next batch of talent? Apparently WT coaching panel refused to go to any other games besides 1st grade?!

What a load of piffle, you don't know the intimate details of selection. One coach/ selector is regularly at second grade matches, and another coach/selector plays third grade, the first three grades well covered. You are talking cow manure.
by ferret
Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:58 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 South v Eagles Saturday 1335

Gutless last quarter by south, behind and needing to win refused to take on the game and go down the middle. A one goal second half shows where south are at. Sensational effort by the Eagles defence.
by ferret
Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R13 South v Eagles Saturday 1335

The Eagles weren't at their best on Saturday but their tenacity, perseverance and the ability to string together several excellent passages of play and compete for 120 minutes gave them a well deserved win. South's unwillingness to take on the game was costly, one goal in the second half was just not good enough. I thought the Eagles' backlines were tremendous. Under the slippery conditions Stengle's and Dan Menzel's goal kicking achievements were outstanding. Good to see "Big Red" getting fitter and being more involved. Special mention to Kobe Mutch, after struggling with a bad shoulder injury for a lot of the season he played his best game for the club in a different role.

It's been a messy season for the Eagles losing so many to the draft, interstate work and also trying to integrate new recruits and juniors in to the team.

Currently the Eagles have the best percentage and have the second best attack and the second best defence this is reflected in their ladder position

To date the Eagles have played 34 players in their twelve matches. Only four players have played every match of the season. The Eagles average only 12 players a week of their 2020 premiership 22. The team has included thirteen players new to the team this year. Significant injuries to Kobe Mutch, Clay Cameron, Troy Menzel, Jarrad Redden, Jordan West, Rory Lehmann and Matty Goldsworthy haven't helped the team get a feeling for each other and to gel smoothly each week. Throw in Stengle missing matches for a carry over suspension and a future champ in Cooper Sharman being kidnapped by the mid-season draft the efforts of the coaching staff must be recognised as outstanding by Eagle supporters. The Eagles continue to be a force.
by ferret
Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R17 WWT v Adelaide Sunday 2.10

The SANFL website publishes a DT score (whatever that is ) which I think is some measure of a player's overall performance. Yesterday Jack Hayes got 153. This is the largest score that I have ever seen, certainly by an Eagles player. Has anyone ever seen a larger score ?

Round 14 J. Hayes 164. Other big games by J. Hayes 159, 153 and 143.
by ferret
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:49 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So you’re saying it’s a Bays v North GF?

I tend to agree

Glenelg clearly and deservedly the strong favourites. But the Grand Finalists from last year are in reasonable form and like Glenelg, know what is required in terms of intensity on the ball. Still think South, on Adelaide Oval in Spring, with young talent, could surprise if they can get back to some form shown earlier in the season.

It should be a great finals series. It’s pleasing to see such high standards from the top teams, despite all that has happened over the past 18 months with Covid and a huge bonus having no AFL Reserves in the finals again .
The AFL teams should be excluded from finals anyway (even if they qualify) They are only in OUR comp for practice for their overpaid recruits. Rule needs to be introduced to protect the integrity of the competition. Look at the mess it makes of the fixtures for the other grades. And why do the U16s only play half a season. Great way to promote the code, I dont think. Cowtowing to the AFL crap again

Eagles reserves play Sturt reserves 4 times this season, three times at Unley Oval!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by ferret
Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

whybother wrote:On a slightly different track, the SANFL website has the red line for the Reserves dividing the table into a top 5, bottom 3. Is this right? I thought the reserves just had a final 4.

That's correct. So it compliments the league finals.
by ferret
Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R18 Sturt v Eagles Saturday 1410

Thought it was a pretty scrappy affair today. Eagles will want to lift significantly if we want to push deeper into the finals. Good to get the win though. The spread of goal kickers today shows that we are not reliant on any one forward to kick a bag which is a good because the pressure always goes up in the finals.

Does anyone know what has happened to Macfarlane and Cameron? They have been missing for a few weeks now. Will they be back in time to play a role in the finals? The eagles website is terrible at providing this information. A few years ago they were proactive in doing it but in the last 2 years they seem to have got lazy and outsourced the information it contains to the SANFL. Consequently there is no information on injuries, no match summaries, no coaches reports. I get they are trying to save $$ but would have thought it would take 20mins to post this information during the week.

I could easily see Sturt beating North next week but can't see South losing to West. Sturt are a decent team and probably at the moment just lack that one tall forward and polished midfielder that would take them to the next level. Their big ruckman is very impressive.

Doom and Gloom again from you "Mr Fuller". Not every match can be a pretty win. It was life or death for the Blues. Marty M. mentioned that Sturt's defence played very well, very easy to flood and be negative on a small oval. I thought you must have looked at the premiership table upside down, we are second to top not second to bottom. A premiership last season and second placing currently is a bloody good effort. With only four players playing every game, significant long term injuries and replacing many from last years team, it's been pretty hard to get consistency but will still have been winning. The crew at Oval Avenue have been doing a fantastic job, with the coach embracing all aspects of the club especially the juniors who are our future. So what about some positive encouragement heading in to the finals.
by ferret
Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R19 Eagles v Centrals Sat 2.10

Best players named by Eagles at club presentations:

LEAGUE
1) Jack Hayes
2) Joe Sinor
3) Kai Pudney
4) Jesse Lonergan

RESERVES
1) Cooper Gaffney
2) Ethan Haylock
3) Pierce Seymour
4) Zac Buck
by ferret
Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:46 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Jade Sheedy signs on !!

Mic wrote:I would have thought there would be lots of interest from AFL clubs. Is there an out if he gets an offer?

He very much likes the current life balance he gets by coaching in the SANFL. Also, he's his own boss in the SANFL scene!!
One of the very best recruits to the club. In Sheedy we Trust.
by ferret
Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:32 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Season 2022 Player Movements

Wolf Pack wrote:Gotta love Eagles supporters!!
The 2015 loss must still hurt!

Yes it did. W.A. peaked at the right time and deserved to win, but the Eagles haven't sat on their backsides and were motivated to do better. Good clubs respond positively.
by ferret
Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:22 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Gotta love Eagles supporters!!
The 2015 loss must still hurt!

Yes it did. W.A. peaked at the right time and deserved to win, but the Eagles haven't sat on their backsides and were motivated to do better. Good clubs respond positively.
We didn't respond the following year to well. :evil: :(

We finally got there, back to back and it motivated us to create history.
by ferret
Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:48 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Eagles fans.

Are either of the Menzels signed? (not sure what length of contract they had).

I keep hearing Troy is going to TTG but I for one would find that strange given he wishes to coach.

Anyone?

Spoke to both on presentation night, both said they were very keen to go on next season. Have not heard anything to the contrary.
by ferret
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:39 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think you can definitely put down Tyson Stengle as a big out for the Eagles.
by ferret
Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

ferret wrote:I think you can definitely put down Tyson Stengle as a big out for the Eagles.

Definitely, definitely gone now.
by ferret
Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:07 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I had thought that the Eagles were in a very strong position only losing Stengle and Burgoyne in the draft.

I didn't think we needed to do much recruiting but now we could potentially lose our two best players - Tsitas and Hayes! Powell may have to dust off those '50 applications' and review who may still be available!

The fact that AFL clubs can still sign up players following the wrap up of two drafts in December is ridiculous. If St Kilda & Gold Coast were going to sign up Hayes and Tsitas you'd think they would be doing so based on what they have done in their most recent seasons in the SANFL not based on 7-8 weeks of running and footy drills over Summer. This really mucks the Eagles up because we are unlikely to seek to replace them until such time as the AFL clubs make a decision and by then it will be too late.

With Hayes and Tsitas gone, that's a 1/4 of our GF side out. 3 good replacements coming in. Sheedy must know the strength of the kids coming up.

Did you complain when it happened to South for the last three years? MAY have cost us a flag....

The Eagles would have lost as many as the Panthers over that period, maybe more, but still went back to back.
by ferret
Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:35 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Looks like they could be handy for us.Also noticed that Dustin Launer named as possible in as well im assuming he is Blakes brother .

A Dustin Launer played for the Eagles U18 premiership team last year. Played a few reserves games. Was a very good player for the Eagles U18's, was very surprised he didn't make the senior list at the Eagles.
by ferret
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

I think that Luke P and the recruiting committee deserve premiership medals for the way in which they have "assembled" the Eagle teams of the past two years. So maybe a triple is not too far fetched.

I think super coach Sheedy plays a huge part in attracting recruits. Has a very good CV to show to prospects. In the 100 odd years of West Torrens/Eagles he has by far been the most rounded and involved coach we have had. He has his head around all aspects of the club. The combination of Christine Williams, Luke Powell, Dave Couzner, Jade Sheedy and Mel have elevated the Eagles to a very high level.
by ferret
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

So does it look like this?

1st Grade Tea Tree Gully vs West Torrens at Karen Rolton Oval
2nd Grade Kensington vs Glenelg at Parkinson Oval
3rd Grade Kensington vs Sturt at Colonel Waite Oval...? Or maybe Park 25
4th Grade University vs Glenelg at Uni Oval

Women's 1st Grade Prelim Sturt vs Kensington at Price Memorial
Women's 2nd Grade Semi Adelaide vs Kensington at Glandore Oval
Women's 2nd Grade Semi Glenelg vs Sturt at Glenelg Oval

U16 Reds Adelaide vs Sturt at West Beach
U16 Whites Glenelg vs Northern Districts at Camden Oval
U14 Reds Sturt vs Glenelg at AA Bailey Reserve
U14 Whites Sturt vs Kensington at Hooper Oval

Pretty sure 1st Grade is at Glenelg Oval.
by ferret
Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:52 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Eagles v West

A couple of disgraceful posts here. Very little appreciation of the ups and downs of football.

I admit that the Eagles are struggling a little at the moment. Gelling and fluency seem to be lacking. Our balance seems to be a little off but injuries to our two first choice ruckmen and KP Clay Cameron have contributed to this.
The drain of talent over the last few years and the inopportune timing of the late drafting of James Tsitas and Jack Hayes (Magarey medallist and runner up) throws preseason planning in to disarray.
Last night the Eagles had only six players from their 2020 premiership team and 12 from their 2021 premiership team.
Last year the Eagles started 3-3, finished the minor round 13-5 and won the title. Sheedy is a very astute coach and his record shows that we will be in contention again this season.
I thought Sheedy's ruck combination of Ballenden (centre bounces), Lukac (first game) and Firns around the ground was an excellent reinvention of the Eagles ruck system that was used against Norwood.
Patience is a virtue, the Eagles coaching crew have loads of runs on the board, they just need a little time.
by ferret
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R3 Eagles v West

northerner wrote:Troy Menzels season is done with ACL.

I think you will find it's something to do with his previous LARS replacement (10 -12 years ago). It just might have come to the end of it's life span.
Will have to wait and see what decision is made.
by ferret
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 5 Eagles vs Centrals X-Convenience oval Saturday

Really enjoyed the Eagles effort yesterday, although our flow is not yet up to our 2020 & 2021 silkiness, the team's cohesion appears to be improving every game. I always thought our determination and will to win was always very good under previous coaches but under coach Sheedy this has risen to another level.
For Eagle fans, just to highlight the huge turnover of players in the SANFL, the Eagles have played 32 different players in five games but the most interesting fact was that on Saturday only four of the 2020 premiership team played and ten of the 2021 premiership team. Resources are being stretched, but it's good to see up and coming youngster get a go. So far this season nine players new to league football have been blooded by the Eagles.
by ferret
Sun May 01, 2022 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 6 Port Reserves vs Eagles Alberton Saturday 2:10

as anyone mentioned Dixon according to the Advertiser he had a great game lmao do Port run the paper
He didn’t look that good to me kicked 1 goal 2 points

Never criticise your opponents poor choices. My fear yesterday was that with his size etc, he would burst out and kick 10 goals. But it shows how PA regard the local comp, deliberately playing with 1/2 a player less.

Yeah I shouldn’t have mentioned it
Saw you and the others on the SANFL Now
I was thinking like you he’d kick a bag it was noticeable majority of him going for the ball 3 or 4 Eagles players flew with him !
And in the end Thompson held him up after Lehman did his hammy

Anyone know why Cameron didn’t play ?

Slight hammy, didn't want to take a chance.
by ferret
Mon May 09, 2022 9:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R9 Eagles v South

They really need to do some drainage work on Woody Oval, was there a month ago and it was squelchy after 2mm of rain, there are hollow patches that are now the mud pits as the water can't get off the oval, barring the cricket pitches every other oval is fine

Seems rather ironic that the ground got lights given the oval's a mess and the visitors coaches box (that got moved into a couple of old corporate boxes in the Jarman stand) is a joke.

Surely those two things should've been addressed first before the luxury of lights.

You proffer a load of bullshit "Brucetiki". The ground got lights because it was a joint venture between the cricket club and the football club, a stand alone application would not have succeeded. The grants had to be a joint venture for lights not oval drainage. Drainage of the oval I would think would be a council responsibility.
For 32 years I have watched the Eagles play at Woodville Oval and have considered the surface to be one of the best of the local SANFL grounds. The three other matches were played on Saturday, but another one & half inches of rain had fallen by the time the Eagles and Panthers played on Sunday. BOM stats said that the first week of June had received the most amount of rain in 102 years, this just might have contributed to the boggy conditions, it would have been interesting see how the other ovals coped if their matches were played on the Sunday. Adelaide Oval excepted with their multi million dollar drainage system.

The opposition coaches box WAS NOT moved in to old corporate boxes. The old corporate boxes were completely gutted and removed and a brand new modern up to date coaches box was built with a magnificent view, it would be the envy of most other opposition coaches boxes at other grounds.
The move originally happened to separate the two teams coaching staff when COVID protocols were implemented.

Your propaganda and slurs are not worthy of this forum.
by ferret
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R 13 Eagles v Port

Ellis-Yolmen being back is a big plus for the Eagles. With Ballenden and Cameron still out injured, Sheedy doesn't seem inclined to give some of the younger talls a go, such as Cooke or Lukac. The 34 year old, well travelled, Seb Guilhaus played his 2nd game in Reserves last week after being injured all season. It will be interesting to see if Sheedy breaks the glass and uses him for some much needed height in the forward line and a chop out for Redden in the Ruck.

The other who has impressed in Reserves all season and looks set to have taken his game to another level is Connor McLeod. Yet to make his debut, he would have to come into consideration for his first senior game.

Hello Aerie, have watched all of Cooke and Lukac's matches this year, unfortunately they are just not ready yet. Cooke has been out for quite awhile following covid and a corked thigh, he came back last week and was very scratchy. Lukac has been playing CHB in recent matches, had a better game last week. I just don't want to see the young talls bullied in the league and lose confidence. Last years U18 forward Will Pearce is gradually being introduce to league football where possible, he has a strong, well developed body and should be able to handle the physicality of league football. Good to see Connor make his debut, has played quite well over a period of time. We should trust the coaching staff as they have a lot better understanding of the players than us onlookers.
by ferret
Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R 13 Eagles v Port

Conner McLeod playing style just like his old man. He has the same running and kicking style. Great debut.

Surprised its taken so long, had some decent stats last year.

With some luck he’ll hopefully follow in Joe Sinor’s footsteps, who took a few years to make the grade. McLeod looked comfortable out there and played well. He certainly has some class and looks fit and confident.

I thought Goldsworthy and Hardie were important when the Eagles needed to get going in that 2nd quarter. Dan Menzel, with 6, again a star performance. Knight, Clarke etc worked hard through the midfield. Beecken getting back to his best form. Litster, Duval and Lehmann had much better games in the back line this week. Ellis-Yolmen will be very handy. Much better structured with another tall to help Redden. Fingers crossed Troy Menzel is ok, but his knee didn’t look good.

Good win by the Eagles. It’s a funny season - after some upsets in other games today, we get a chance to keep in touch with the top 3 if we can beat Glenelg next week, even if we find ourselves outside the 5 after tomorrow’s game.

At presentations last night coach Sheedy was very effusive in his talk about Connor and his journey with the club and his resilience to keep aiming for an opportunity to play league. Sheedy also mentioned that Connor had played 72 reserves games, backing up "Aerie's" thoughts he could be another Joe Sinor.
by ferret
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:53 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: 2022 SANFL Reserves, Women's & Juniors

Eagles had to win last minor round match to make the finals, go on to win the premiership. Glenelg didn't give a roar, kicked only one goal in the last three quarters. Tom Luck again best on ground, has had a superb finals series. Welsh playing under duress was stationed at F/F but still kicked four goals. A great team effort by the Eagles.
by ferret
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:48 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

Zane Williams a mid season draftee to Geelong has been delisted, hope he comes back to the Eagles, we need a bit of pace and goal kickers.
by ferret
Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: retirements and upcoming signings

So, we had three taken from the 2021 GF team to the AFL. Hayes (3 games), Psitas (1 game), Williams (0 games). Part of the implosion this year.

Balance of the team was destroyed by losing these three at the start of the season and during it. Ballenden missing six games, Clay Cameron 14 games, McFarlane 8 games and Redden 8 games also contributed to a disjointed season . I'm sure coach Sheedy has the desire and personality to effect another exciting overhaul.
by ferret
Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:41 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Aye, Aye.

Stand up to kochie, they couldn't afford to go elsewhere. Mob of whingers, should be thankful they are allowed to play in the SANFL.
by ferret
Fri Oct 28, 2022 7:29 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Reallocation of boundaries

Woodville oval will be in another zone soon. Traditional area going to other clubs . :(

The SANFL are gradually but surely working over the West Torrens/Eagles FCs to rid them of former heartland areas and their historical significance.
Trimmer Parade is now a northern boundary for West Adelaide. Woodville/West Torrens have lost areas like Seaton and Findon traditionally associated with the Eagles with this change. Trimmer Parade is a Lindsay Head stab pass from Woodville Oval.
by ferret
Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:58 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Tony Clifton wrote:
Aerie wrote:Any scores from Campbelltown?

Traditionally the hardest venue in the competition to get scores from!

WiFi must be spotty there

Last I heard, Western Eagles were 8/148 after being 7/78.
by ferret
Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL 2023 season

I think with two elections held in the 2022 year and the possibility of two incumbent governments being turfed, plenty of promises and money was thrown around to retain power or get in to power. This expansion in facilities can only be good for sport.
by ferret
Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:24 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Trial Games 2023

sib wrote:Not happy.

Was looking forward to watching it tonight. No have to watch the AFL game

No you wouldn't have enjoyed watching it:

Eagles 17.9
Legs 9.6
by ferret
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R1 Norwood v Eagles Friday 7.40

Eagles could be missing a few good players. Collier-Dawkins, Knight, Lehmann D. Menzel and Brinker-Ritchie all could be doubtful for Friday night.
by ferret
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:06 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: R2 South v Eagles Friday 2.10

I've been to Noarlunga heaps of times but never parked around the oval. Dad is getting a bit older and bringing the youngest two, so thinking it would be handy to be able to take the car in to the ground. Is that still happening and what is the deal? How long before the game would you want to get there to be able to get a spot where you could stay near your car and still have a decent view of the footy? Do they ever (or always) put up the car park full sign and if so, how long before the game is best to get there just to get a spot?

Should be a good game. Perhaps Dan Menzel and Knight back in? Eagles 1-10.

If I was Coach Sheedy I wouldn't play D. Menzel and Knight. By not playing them it gives them an extra fortnight to get over their injuries.
Would like to see the winning combination front up again.
by ferret
Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:03 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Eagles v Sturt Maughan Thiem Kia Oval 4:40pm

After missing the last 2 games, was hoping for an improved performance from the Eagles but was left disappointed again. Sturt too intense, too polished and too systematic for a dysfunctional Eagles team. Strut's first win against the Eags since 2019 so they were well and truly due and probably should have won by more. Ballenden played his best game for the club kicking 5 and Sinor battled hard once again. Thin pickings after that. on that form, Central will have few problems next week.

I think you are being a little harsh "wedgetail". Looking at the line up the Eagles put out against Sturt there appeared to be a distinct lack of SANFL experience. I went through the numbers for the "Eagles" to find out what experience they went in to the game with. The 22 players totalled 834 league SANFL games this averages out to 37.91 games a player. If the four most experienced players are removed (521 games) the total becomes 313 league games between 18 players at an average of 17.39 games....less than a season average a player for 18 players. Sixteen players had played less than 35 SANFL games. The games experience could be enhanced slightly by including 185 AFL games played by Toumpas, Knight, Thompson, Rowe, Cameron Collier-Dawkins, and Ballenden but this would take the average senior games played to 46.32.
Over the past five years in the SANFL it's been very hard to keep a stable, consistent list. Of the 22 Eagle players who played against Sturt, there were only 8 from the Eagles 2021 premiership team. The ability to integrate new players is not easy and takes time, all clubs seem to go through ups and downs, we just have to be patient, Just look at Norwood, premiers last season now currently bottom.
Just as a comparison Sturt's 22 had 1,359 SANFL league games experience at an average of 61.77 games, against the Eagles 834 games at an average of 37.91. Excluding Sturt's four most experienced players the 18 remaining players had an average of 41.16 games experience compared to the Eagles 17.39 games. I think the result has a lot to do with experience. Just keep faith in our leaders.
by ferret
Tue May 09, 2023 2:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |