Search found more than 1111 matches

Return

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Wedgie wrote:Gen Y, mob of sooks.

Come on Wedgie, tell us why. Spill the beans...or should I say smash the avo.
by Magellan
Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:34 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 3

locky801 wrote:North got flogged :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Only a practice match.

Not sure why we bothered, we don't need any practice at being flogged. ;)
by Magellan
Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: I need to know....

Wedgie wrote:How did Iggy Pop make it to 70?

Ask Keith Richards, he seems to have the elixir of defying death.
by Magellan
Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Booney wrote:#beatsbypablo

Well, the bright side is that series 3 of Narcos will have an Australian flavour to it.
by Magellan
Wed May 03, 2017 11:00 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL Round 5

Panthers by 44 points over the Chooks, Port Magoos by 10 goals over Sturts (I think, according to the SANFL website its still 27:52 in the last quarter, and has been for about 10 minutes).

I'd hate to be on the receiving end of a postcard from Keith "hooray for everything" Conlon tonight. Both his beloved Crows (seniors) and Sturts went goalless for over a quarter and lost by 10 goals this weekend, and to multiply his personal tragedy his other beloved Crows (Magoos) also lost yesterday. The horror, the horror. So many favourite sides, so much carnage.
by Magellan
Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Should Australia Day date be changed?

Dog_ger2 wrote:AS a hard working and devoted employee,

there should be mote Australia Days.

Well, after all the nation is surrounded by water.
by Magellan
Wed May 10, 2017 6:47 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Not really a case of someone trying to cash in when the police saw him , talked to him right there and walked away with him. The guy he pushed doesn't appear to do anything.
Correct. It's a criminal matter so there's no cash payouts available.

Booney

He's fallen over in the aisles at Coles.......I think he's still laying there waiting for help!
Down, down, Booney's gone down.
by Magellan
Wed May 10, 2017 3:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Abbott/Liberal Govt Watch

I would have a much stronger approach to welfare recipients....in particular those long term unemployed bums who have no interest in working...
Fair enough, but doesn't the system already have mechanisms for identifying and penalizing bludgers? I'm not sure what drug testing does to get recalcitrant people back to work...or get them off the drugs, for that matter.
Ive not seen the fine print. But isnt it something to do with demerit point system.
You fail a drug test you may lose a point??

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
Yeah, me too, not sure how it really operates in practice. I wonder if pensioners are part of it? If so, no more 'cocaine and canasta' nights at Eunice's apartment down at the Sunnyvales Retirement Village.
by Magellan
Fri May 12, 2017 5:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ni Hao Round 8

BT's post match changeroom bullshit is absolutely cringeworthy. Again.
by Magellan
Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that you rate!

Wedgie wrote:I dont think any James Squire beer could be classified as a craft beer.
Love my craft beer and love my ales but I'd drink Carlton Draught before I touched any James Squire beer.

Agree its not craft beer, but nothing's a worse than a glass of Carlton Razorblades IMHO.
by Magellan
Fri May 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:If you want craft beer, you should visit the guys at Big Shed Brewing at royal park.

Good place, went there on a buck's day a few weeks ago. They have a stout that tastes kind of like a Golden Gaytime (the ice cream, not the Mardi Gras in Sydney).
by Magellan
Sat May 13, 2017 10:43 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Ni Hao Round 8

Bit of a trend happening with the Crows....more than just an event now.
10 unanswered goals last week, 9 this week, and two losses to two sides they would've thought they'd knock off. Is it time for...
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNvCGLtWD6efwV0w_bLeaKckh_wTatqFlOuADuMPzOss8Rl_ok
by Magellan
Sat May 13, 2017 11:01 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Redlegs induct 5 into their hall of fame...

Wouldn't it be ironic if those who determine the Redlegs' HoF entrants now told Joe that they weren't going to let him in.
by Magellan
Mon May 15, 2017 9:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Open Mike

I've been catching up on previous Open Mike's by watching them on YouTube. So far I've watched Glen Jackovich, Liam Pickering, Barry Hall, Dermott Brereton, David Neitz, Garry Ayers, Matthew Scarlett, Warren Tredrea, Cameron Mooney, Denis Pagen, Gavin Wanganeen and Brent Guerra. I still have a few on my list left to watch. The best by far I've watched of that group is Glen Jackovich .
Why is that, Dark Knight?
Jackovich telling the story of the early 90s Eagles is really intriguing and having the early success they did in a Victorian league was outstanding. They were a tight nit group and Jackovich was an integralpart of it. The loss of Chris Mainwareing was a big impact on his teamates especially Jackovich, it was very sad to hear. He talked about their introduction of weights training which was revolutionary and it was percieved by others in the league that the size and strength the Eagles gained was possibly brought on by performance enhaning drugs, especially Jackovich who is a big man. He is very angered by that. Jackovichs story of playing on Wayne Carey was also a highlight, really made me appreciate the magnificent battles they had. Jackovich's family backstory was also interesting, he talked a bit about his brother Allen and his short AFL career. He talked about Malthouse a fair bit too and his relationship with him, that was good to listen too.
Cheers, DK. Jakovich seems to speak quite well whenever I hear him talk. I don't have Foxtel so a tour of YouTube as you've done sounds like a good way of accessing some interesting footy material.
by Magellan
Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:33 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The Times they are a Changin'....

I got to the lawyer part and stopped.

We will still need lawyers to represent us. Who's gonna get automated legal advice then represent themselves?
Spot on.

There's plenty of ways you can find the particular law on a certain topic electronically nowadays, if that's what is considered 'legal advice'. But there's more to it than that. No way can a computer can properly advise on the subjective human aspects in litigation, for example, where there are uniquely human elements such as juries and judges with inherent prejudices and opinions on the evidence that is proved to them in a trial that have to be managed on an evolving, day to day basis.

Clients also want a human to deal with, particularly in sensitive criminal issues. The bedside manner is critical in gaining trust in order to gather evidence, for example.

It'd be nice to think the tortuous process of going to court or making legislation could be efficiently streamlined by technology, and to an extent it can be, but the law is ultimately made by people and not robots.
by Magellan
Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:02 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Bands coming to Adelaide

Wedgie wrote:Can't believe people paid any money to go see that, was freaking awful.

Sound like The Ice waxed those chumps like candles. They would've been better off skipping it and continuing to A1A Beachfront Avenue.
by Magellan
Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:02 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Netflix

Dogwatcher wrote:
HH3 wrote:I started watching The Keepers last night.

Its a 7 part series that follows two ladies who are trying to solve the murder of their teacher, Sister Cathy, in 1969.

So it's not a doco about the custodians of the stumps?

It might be, if the accused is caught and released on bail.
by Magellan
Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Seeing Ricky Gervais live in Edinburgh tonight! Saw an ad in the Glasgow street press and before you can say "David Brent" we bought tix online and caught the train over. Man, I haven't laughed that hard in yonks.
by Magellan
Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:20 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Celebrity Casualties

Grenville wrote:Adam West lbw 88.

RIP. Kapow for the last time.
by Magellan
Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:09 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9

Gas turned off in the away teams change rooms at Prospect today?
Yeah, sorry about that. You see, we use gas to power our dominant pokie machine empire rather than servicing the oval's facilities, since they're more important than achieving on field results. We also use hot air, which is also in rich supply from certain parts of the club's administration.

Seriously, I thought the Bays looked alright yesterday, have certainly improved and found another gear when North took it up to them at lemon time. Goes to show what a club can do when its on the bones of its arse. North continue to provide concrete evidence that we're quite simply rubbish, and that the club doesn't really give a shit beyond the annual balance sheet.
by Magellan
Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:56 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 9

Three things I learnt yesterday:

1. Norths kicking is sh!t!
2. You don't have to be follically challenged to make WTF umpiring decisions
3. We can't afford to be lazy and stop working as a team!

Despite saying North skills were shit, it was noticeable that when they had their game plan going (in the third) they looked a better side than us - paint the fence in the back lines, create space in the corridor and then hit the hot spot. I think we got through on having better skills/players on the day.

if North can put four qtrs together of what Carry is trying to do they will be a finals bound team.

Hopefully this tread is now back on track discussing rd 9 :roll:
Skills are definitely poor at Prospect, and we just haven't got the personnel to reach the finals this year. Once the Bays stepped up in the last term we went to water.

PS We've already put four quarters of footy together this season...unfortunately its been across nine games.
by Magellan
Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Best Supporter Group to hang sh&t on

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Adelaide fans are great to serve at Adelaide Oval, nice and polite.

Do you just top their thermos' up?

Didn't think they sold Horlicks at Adelaide Oval.
by Magellan
Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:28 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you sad.

After losing an aunty a fortnight ago, a cousin last week and now my nanna this morning, not sure how much strength I have left in me right now.

Worst part is that my Grandfather is in hospital losing his battle with cancer, I thought the phone call was about him.
Geez, that's a lot of bad news in a very short space of time. My sincere condolences, LM.

I'd like to give some advice, but I'm not sure what to say when you get dealt a hand like that. That's a real shit sandwich. Take it easy and surround yourself with those can support you, because you're absolutely entitled to feel emotionally exhausted.
by Magellan
Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:52 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

MW wrote:That's one story I would not be sharing about my old man...

What? He's your dad too?!
by Magellan
Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

After just under a year of pretty difficult times, on Wednesday night I finally made the call to part ways with my wife of 5 years and partner for 10.

Heartbroken is an understatement, but it could have escalated into a very toxic relationship had it been persevered with. Not needed when you have a near 3 year old to factor in moving forward.

I have some mental health and trust issues that need addressing for me to be able to move forward, and I begin that next week.

It is going to be a long road ahead, with things likely to get worse before they get better.
It's a very brave thing to do to make such a significant decision. Whilst you're probably feeling shithouse about it, you should also take some pride in having the guts to grasp the nettle and take action to improve your lot in life (maybe not right now, but in time). Many people are indecisive or apathetic about making life changing decisions, and everyone suffers as a consequence. You're different, and I think you've demonstrated an admirable quality in doing so.

Good luck with whatever it is you're starting next week.
by Magellan
Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Wedgie wrote:True, although my fake idea worked. Still remember the name on it. "Domingos Ferreira" :lol:

by Magellan
Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:27 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL round 13

Another cringeworthy effort by BT in change rooms post match. Hopefully Seven takes this revealing segment a step further by getting him to follow them out into the car park Today Tonight style, or better still, BT breaks into a player's car pre-final siren and then awkwardly interview him on the drive home.
by Magellan
Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:14 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Worst Movies

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Save your money if you're thinking of going to see this. The Mrs wanted to see it, but it was her that suggested we leave halfway through.

We ended up sticking it out, just because we were hoping the ending would be good. It's not.

The look on the other cinema-goers faces on the way out told me we weren't alone in our opinion of this pile of horse shit.
I won't waste my money then. It seems as though each movie has got progressively worse as the series has gone on.
Well I did end up wasting my money to see Dead Men Tell No Tales with a mate last night, luckily the Semaphore Odeon is only $7 . I didn't think it was that bad but I was half cut after having beers for one of our mates birthday in the arvo. Definitely not as good as the previous films in the series though so the point of them getting progressively worse was reinforced.

Captain Jack is just not funny anymore. I had a woman behind me laughing her head of at all the 'funny' stuff he did even though no one else really laughed.
The Semaphore Odeon is a great local cinema, we love going down there. An honest local business providing good value and a no bullshit* movie experience. Couple of new(ish) places with good food and craft beers a couple doors down IIRC makes the trip even more worthwhile.

* Actually, not true. I did see an Adam Sandler film there once.
by Magellan
Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFLx

Jimmy wrote:No.

Not excited for this new X thing.

Would rather more women's footy.

I'd interested to watch a women's version of SANFL X with two extra X's. ;)
by Magellan
Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:40 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 10

Before the game a Crows official took Kris Grant out onto the ground to show him part of the oval that mustn't have been up to their standard. Seriously if you don't like it f$@k off out of the SANFL. No one will miss you.
And fair enough. I mean, how do you expect Scott Thompson's wheelchair to negotiate patches of mud and some uneven turf? Didn't the club get the memo that he needs a ramp installed in the centre square at the Bulldogs' expense?

Plus, the antiquated scoreboard is woefully below standard since it doesn't tell Crows spectators when to applaud, it only tells you what the scores are. Like that's important for a team practising. So very confusing for their players who expect to see the number 19. Expect Eunice, Nigel Smart's 63 year old work experience intern with a passion for knitting and Andrew Mcleod, to ghostwrite a strongly worded submission for Mark Riccuito to the human rights commission this week.
by Magellan
Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:00 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday to Magellan.

You have already surpassed the Portugese explorer of the same name by 3 years...Hooray!
Many thanks, PP, I appreciate the kind wishes. I'll set the mainsail at half mast later on today and have a nap up in the Crow's nest to celebrate the 'roaring forties'.

And may your armada one day sail past the outlet of the Patowalonga so you can pillage and plunder the many doubloons on offer in St Vincent's Gulf, arggh.
by Magellan
Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:32 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

JK wrote:Happy Birthday traveller

Thanks Jake.
by Magellan
Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:31 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: State Library Football Exhibition

Went and had a look at this yesterday. It's a very impressive collection of memorabilia and displays. As Grenville said, you probably need three hours to really soak it in, I only had 45 or so minutes spare so I should probably go again and do it justice. One of the highlights was the agreement for players attending a very early state carnival who had to travel by boat, and one of its terms was they would get their payment only if they stayed sober.

Had a great chat with a couple of older ladies about the glory days of the league and its meaning culturally in SA, its demise in recent times, and it's uncertain future. Plenty in attendance, which was great to see, although I was probably the youngest there. As much as I was impressed by this celebration of the wonderful history and legacy of the league, as I walked out I couldn't help feel saddened that the memory of it's rich history and influence in this state has already started to fade, and that it will probably continue to do so.
by Magellan
Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:06 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 16

That pickup by the Bont and Stringer's one-hander was pretty bloody impressive given the conditions.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:25 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 16

All the way with the PFJ.
by Magellan
Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:42 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Things that make you laugh

Russell Howard, last night at Thebby. Very, very funny, and I'm hard to please with stand-up comedy. His show ran for just over an hour and a half, and I reckon there was a quality gag every thirty seconds or so.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:55 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Round 13

OK, my tips for this week, FWIW:

WWT and Sturt on Sunday is a GF preview, hard to go past the Iggles at home but Sturt will give them a run for their money, especially with Aiden Riley back in. As a consequence the Iggles will gain a useless psychological advantage for the finals.

The POSAs should knock off the resurgent Westies, especially with the return of 'Crows ball magnet' Scott Thompson (if he's such a ball magnet, why isn't he still in their AFL side?).

The Bays to pip Soufs at their home ground in a tight encounter. The knives will come out and the Panthers move one step closer to apostasy for Buddha.

The Never Tear Us Aparts will probably do that to Centrals. Butcher to cop some mild abuse from a young teenager in an Port jumper...could be on or off the field, hard to tell at this stage.

Norwood can pick their own margin against North. If they're smart they'll wait until 'lemon time' to turn up at the ground and do enough to win by simply walking onto the oval and gently gesturing in the direction of the footy. Also, Leigh Ryswyk to enjoy his own personal mid-season break interstate, the club will advise when his testimonial slide-show evening will be held in due course.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Enjoyed the Cocks v Legs game, both teams had a dip, umpires missed a couple either way but generally let the game go. Craig going off leaving Baulderstone to dominate was probably the difference in the end.

Yep good assessment mate
Yes, was a good contest, with the better skilled and better resourced team getting the points. Baulderstone gave the 'Legs' small men first opportunity (a bit too easily for my liking) in the last when the game was three to be won, and North could've done with some of the tall timber that Norwood had as a backup ruckman for James Craig or as a marking target up forward.

Thought North had control in the first half of the third quarter but couldn't take proper advantage on the scoreboard. Like most good sides, Norwood soaked up the pressure and slowly pegged the margin and hit the front by lemon time. On about three occasions Norwood literally waltzed out of the square with the footy and goaled. North kept at it but coudn't bridge the one goal gap. Also Norwood missed a few gettable shots in the last as well which made the 16 point margin a bit kind to the Chooks.

Another good time was had in the Prospect RSL at half time, cheap Coopers and I won $20 in the lucky square raffle! Thanks to the guys at the RSL, would've put it back across the bar if I wasn't driving.
by Magellan
Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:57 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Most of the tears seem to be coming from this forum.
Some tears here, yes, but lots of incredulous yet unsurprised laughs too.

It's a non event. Move on.
Well....it must be an event of some description if it motivates the lodgement of a formal complaint with the governing body.

Anyway, we can't ignore it until the league decides the outcome during the week. I think it'll be interesting. Either the Crows' embarrassing conduct in complaining will be proven, or West Adelaide will be wound up and excommunicated from the comp forthwith.

Someone did legal studies in year 12...
Actually, it wasn't available at my alma mater , so mea culpa I guess. Did Latin, though. ;) :-B
by Magellan
Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

By the way, lol at the phrase '1359-strong crowd'.
by Magellan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:25 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Good Movies

I've recently download a bunch of movies not on Netflix I've had on a 'watchlist' and will slowly get through them.

First I watched Jurassic World- Meh
Second was Full Metal Jacket - Awesome film!
And this afternoon I watched Trainspotting 2- Meh. I recently watched the first on Netflix but I must say I got bored with the second.

Left to watch-
There Will Be Blood
Concussion
The Magnificent Seven
Doctor Strange
The Accountant
The Fate of the Furious

Planning to go to Dunkirk at the movies next weekend and it looks like it will be a good film.
The first half of Full Metal Jacket is amazing, absolutely full on. Second half was a bit average IMHO, but the intensity of the first half more than compensates.
by Magellan
Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:50 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Stubbies V Cans

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:Why not jugs? They're bigger than cans.

Give me cans over jugs any day.

True. Jugs eventually go flat if you leave them long enough.
by Magellan
Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL ROUND 14

Righto, this weeks prognostications:

Sturt to prevail over the Bulldogs in a close 'un. Rune Gilfoy to get a run purely on the basis of his name and will dominate, in which Roy Laird will admit post-match that 'we've been runed!'

The Eagles to account for North, who'll probably go down in an honorable loss after playing three quarters of good footy. Debutante Jordan Sweet finally gets a chance, and will win the hit-out count leaving a sour taste in the Eagles mouth (beak?).

South to stop the Bloods' winning run in another close one, a couple of key outs for Westies swinging it in the Panthers' favour. It'll be level up to lemon time, then Bates will catch Crabb midway in the last, forcing a turnover that changes momentum but tastes horrible.

Norwood to knock off the PoSAs in another tight tussle. Attending Crows fans will receive a complementary set of industrial strength earmuffs to prevent permanent hearing damage from the complimentary titanium strength drum-kits that Norwood fans will receive upon entry. Also, if played in the ruck, Pinyon might steer the Crows to victory.

Power reserves to avenge last week's loss and comfortably knock off the Bays. Look out for Martini from the Bays, though. Cops some ribbing for his surname, he's often stirred but never shaken.
by Magellan
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:16 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Rumour re Media Coverage

Wedgie wrote:Dangerous, it might encourage the 4000 Crows supporters to stay at home and listen on the radio instead.

You can't blame them, though. I mean, the radio's a godsend. It allows you to adjust the volume in case things get too loud.
by Magellan
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 18

I like quirky, and that one hit my funnybone :lol:
Agree, it's odd and weird, but funny all the same. Whilst not quite a thing you'd associate with the footy 'characters' of the past, it's shows a bit of personality which modern day footy could sorely use. No wonder Riccuito didn't understand it.

I just hope for the Crows' sake Jenkins didn't eat the ham!
by Magellan
Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Here's the entire Cornes article for ya, Pistol Pete:

Attack on Port Adelaide’s history hurts entire SANFL, says Graham Cornes

HATE! It’s a malicious, destructive word but used in a football context, it softens and more simply describes some of the feelings that are evoked when club loyalties are displayed.

In the good old days before the AFL devoured the football market, if you didn’t live at Alberton or on the LeFevre Peninsula, you “hated” Port Adelaide.

Over the decades, like a diaspora of displaced people, the Port supporters and their loyalties spread north, south and east beyond the Cheltenham Cemetery.

Heck, you might even have had one living alongside you. However, if you “hated” a football club it didn’t mean you didn’t respect them.

It just added an extra dimension of emotion when you played them.

But you could never deny them their history and their record. Until last week.

The SA Football Budget, has for over a century, been the official program of the SANFL.

It’s a publication crammed with footy articles, players’ lists and club statistics that, over the seasons, we’ve loved and collected with a passion.

It is rarely inaccurate. However, last week Port supporters were horrified and outraged to discover that their club had been stripped of its history before the year 2011. It wasn’t a misprint.

It read that Port and Central had only met 15 times (with Port winning seven) since the club’s formation in 2010. Port was yet to win a premiership.

This rewriting of history has infuriated the club. Surely it was an oversight or a practical joke? Apparently not.

Writing on the Talking Footy SA forum on Friday, June 30, Mark Beswick, a West Adelaide Football Club board member, said: “During the week as Official SANFL Historian, I asked the budget to reset Port Adelaide WIN/LOSS records from 2011-2017.”

Beswick’s rationale was that as the Magpies and the Power had amalgamated as “One Club” in 2010, the Port Adelaide (Magpies) must be seen as a new SANFL entity since 2011.

So the editor of the Budget complied and stripped Port of its history.

Port Adelaide chief executive, Keith Thomas, was livid — although as a former Norwood player and champion, he understands football passion.

“It made my blood boil”, he told the Advertiser on Wednesday.

“The ramifications of this remarkable decision are as vast as they are obvious … I will be writing to John Olsen (SANFL Chairman) today.”

Beswick’s post actually had unanimous support on the forum, as among the SANFL purists there is much angst (hatred) directed towards our two AFL clubs’ presence in the SANFL, but you can’t rewrite history.

Whether we supported Port Adelaide or “hated” them, they have been an integral part of South Australia’s grand football landscape.

If you strip Port of its history you strip every other club of its. It’s been a journey of mutual benefit with even the least successful clubs playing important roles.

Port supporters often will tell you how much the SANFL owes their club because of the crowds and the revenue Port Adelaide has generated since 1870.

It’s such an ignorant opinion because without the other clubs, Port Adelaide would be nothing. Conversely, however, we are nothing without them.

The passion and contributions of SANFL volunteers such as Beswick should never be underestimated or disrespected because the very existence of SANFL clubs depends on them, but it has to be tempered.

It wasn’t the only time this week that West Adelaide supporters upset one of the AFL clubs ... but hopefully all has been resolved.

Whether we traditional SANFL supporters like it or not, the AFL will continue to consume the football market and indoctrinate young footy fans.

The SANFL nevertheless will continue to have major role in the football industry, and its history is the solid foundation on which it has been built.

Never disrespect or neglect that history.

When he was made aware of the bizarre decision to rewrite Port’s history last week, SANFL chief executive Jake Parkinson told The Advertiser that the decision “wasn’t a position the SANFL supported”.

One can assume from his comment that Port’s history will be restored in next week’s SA Football Budget. Won’t those West Adelaide supporters hate that?
by Magellan
Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

bennymacca wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Haha, 3 pages of puns,

Whose hairbrained idea was that

by Magellan
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 am

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Spargo wrote:PatawalongaPirate, the big four - oh!
Salutations Br.

Yes, hope you've had a good 'un today, Mr Pat. Enjoy your descent into the roaring forties!
by Magellan
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: AFL Round 19

Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:
Corona Man wrote:
MW wrote:Fist first. A joke

Its footy not German porn.

German porn ain't no joke!

Das gut!

by Magellan
Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:38 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Re: SANFL ROUND 15

Kicking straight would be nice .. Also be nice if the protected ones could stop milking the umps, but we know that would never happen
We have missed several easy chances but these umpires are a deadset cheating disgrace
Frees Nwd 3 WWT 11
Serves you right, you should've merged when you had the chance. ;)
by Magellan
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:51 pm

Jump to forum
Jump to topic

Around the place

Competitions   SANFL Official Site | Country Footy SA | Southern Football League | VFL Footy
Club Forums   Snouts Louts | The Roost | Redlegs Forum |