Glenelg V Port Grand Final

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby mrjbeam1981 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:08 am

Hey you mob. Long time no see (or post).

Let me give you my thoughts on the game.

But first i'll give you a bit of history. For those that don't know. I am a fourth generation Glenelg supporter. My great grandfather moved to Glenelg when my grandfather was 6. So its great grandfather, grandfather, father, me and my kids.

I have been a glenelg supporter my entire life. I was one of the few glenelg supporters who joined forces a few years back against Norwood and the Snouts were born.

So this year after a few years away, family was too young for last couple we joined up as members. Having won the previous 6 games of the year i thought that would keep us going into this year.

We received an email from a close family friend saying she is getting married in kenya towards the end of the year. Personally i didnt take much notice of it knowing we were heading back to see my wifes family, my kids seeing their grandparents for the first time in a few years in November/december will be a bonus.

So we start the well ok and we start winning games and thinking we are playing alright. And then we recieve the invitation. Wedding is September 7th. Knowing how much leave we had and that we hadnt been here for 2.5 years i knew deep down that we would be here on 22nd September.

So fast forward a few months and the day arrives - Second Semi Final - i'm pacing up and down the place where we are staying listening to the call from Life FM. That day wasnt to be for us, i said to myself maybe its a blessing.

The next week again i sat glued the coverage and realised that we were playing in a grand final. I sat up and watched the replay at 10.00pm kenyan time.

So the big week was here. We had a lot of family visits that we needed to do So that kept my mind off things. But come sunday i was ready. Up at 6.30am to listen to life fm for a while. I ended picking up a few 'white caps' - kenyan beer. I said to myself that id have one at the start and should we win it i'll have one at the end. So at 8.30am kenyan time i cracked my first beer.

My observations

We were strong from the get go. 5 mins in we were just so switched on. When port did attack in the 2nd our defence stood up. I lost count of thr pack marks we took.

Every player won their position. 

I got more and more emotional as the final quarter kept going. By 15 mins i was balling. I had to compose myself when they kicked that goal. But lost it again when Marlon kicked the goal. My wife walked in (doesnt do football) and thought we lost.

I made a few facebook calls to my dad and other louts after the siren, i was a mess.
mrjbeam1981
Rookie
 
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:52 am
Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby gazzamagoo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:55 am

mrjbeam1981 wrote:Hey you mob. Long time no see (or post).

Let me give you my thoughts on the game.

But first i'll give you a bit of history. For those that don't know. I am a fourth generation Glenelg supporter. My great grandfather moved to Glenelg when my grandfather was 6. So its great grandfather, grandfather, father, me and my kids.

I have been a glenelg supporter my entire life. I was one of the few glenelg supporters who joined forces a few years back against Norwood and the Snouts were born.

So this year after a few years away, family was too young for last couple we joined up as members. Having won the previous 6 games of the year i thought that would keep us going into this year.

We received an email from a close family friend saying she is getting married in kenya towards the end of the year. Personally i didnt take much notice of it knowing we were heading back to see my wifes family, my kids seeing their grandparents for the first time in a few years in November/december will be a bonus.

So we start the well ok and we start winning games and thinking we are playing alright. And then we recieve the invitation. Wedding is September 7th. Knowing how much leave we had and that we hadnt been here for 2.5 years i knew deep down that we would be here on 22nd September.

So fast forward a few months and the day arrives - Second Semi Final - i'm pacing up and down the place where we are staying listening to the call from Life FM. That day wasnt to be for us, i said to myself maybe its a blessing.

The next week again i sat glued the coverage and realised that we were playing in a grand final. I sat up and watched the replay at 10.00pm kenyan time.

So the big week was here. We had a lot of family visits that we needed to do So that kept my mind off things. But come sunday i was ready. Up at 6.30am to listen to life fm for a while. I ended picking up a few 'white caps' - kenyan beer. I said to myself that id have one at the start and should we win it i'll have one at the end. So at 8.30am kenyan time i cracked my first beer.

My observations

We were strong from the get go. 5 mins in we were just so switched on. When port did attack in the 2nd our defence stood up. I lost count of thr pack marks we took.

Every player won their position. 

I got more and more emotional as the final quarter kept going. By 15 mins i was balling. I had to compose myself when they kicked that goal. But lost it again when Marlon kicked the goal. My wife walked in (doesnt do football) and thought we lost.

I made a few facebook calls to my dad and other louts after the siren, i was a mess.

G'Day stranger, long time no see! It's a great feeling hey! I remember your face at the back of the grandstand at footy park as my 'Dogs were smashing your mob back in 2008, such a big difference in feelings but well worth the wait though. From the man formerly known as CENTURION
gazzamagoo
Under 18s
 
 
Posts: 715
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:48 pm
Has liked: 604 times
Been liked: 199 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:58 am

I'm enjoying these "This Is Your Life" style posts from Bays fans. :lol:
Seriously though, I can completely relate, and did the exact same thing when Sturt broke the ice in 2016 and I finally had the good fortune of being there and seeing it.
It brings home the meaning of a SANFL flag for so many, and I cannot help but reflect on what it meant for me back then. Regardless of the distractons that threaten to disenfranchise, the SANFL still remains as a competition for the people. Where those with early memories watching Aussie Rules at their own home grounds can expect to turn up and enjoy the spectacle of the last hit-out of the season. Watershed moments like the Bays this year, capture some of the old fervour for SANFL footy, that gripped our city for over a hundred years. The connection remains and hopefully continues to perpetuate with upcoming generations. My 8y/o is certainly aware of who the good guys and bad guys are in the SANFL. On Sunday, he knew Glenelg were the good guys.
But just for a short time.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
User avatar
therisingblues
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Fukuoka
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:44 pm

All in all we can all be happy, North are no longer reigning premiers.

I think there's something in that for all of us.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 50270
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 5569 times
Been liked: 8452 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:13 pm

therisingblues wrote:I'm enjoying these "This Is Your Life" style posts from Bays fans. :lol:
Seriously though, I can completely relate, and did the exact same thing when Sturt broke the ice in 2016 and I finally had the good fortune of being there and seeing it.
It brings home the meaning of a SANFL flag for so many, and I cannot help but reflect on what it meant for me back then. Regardless of the distractons that threaten to disenfranchise, the SANFL still remains as a competition for the people. Where those with early memories watching Aussie Rules at their own home grounds can expect to turn up and enjoy the spectacle of the last hit-out of the season. Watershed moments like the Bays this year, capture some of the old fervour for SANFL footy, that gripped our city for over a hundred years. The connection remains and hopefully continues to perpetuate with upcoming generations. My 8y/o is certainly aware of who the good guys and bad guys are in the SANFL. On Sunday, he knew Glenelg were the good guys.
But just for a short time.


I would have thought 2002 would have been that moment for you? Even longer wait between success and the horror of the 90s?
mighty hounds
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6771
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:08 pm
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 274 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:33 pm

Booney wrote:All in all we can all be happy, North are no longer reigning premiers.

I think there's something in that for all of us.


Far Cough
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
User avatar
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 2401
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 pm
Location: Fuherbunker
Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Booney wrote:All in all we can all be happy, North are no longer reigning premiers.

I think there's something in that for all of us.


Theres that, or we could all be happy that Port are pretty much irrelevant this century
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach
 
 
Posts: 10373
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:35 pm
Has liked: 2072 times
Been liked: 1452 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:35 pm

Had a few errands to run today on my day off and made the mistake of going down Port Rd to get to Supercheap and witnessing that the chimney was no longer red and white.
Must admit though they've done a better of the Bays colours than they did Norths, I think mainly because of the way they did the Vee it never looked quite right.
User avatar
Wedgie
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 46156
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:00 am
Has liked: 1307 times
Been liked: 2907 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:38 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Booney wrote:All in all we can all be happy, North are no longer reigning premiers.

I think there's something in that for all of us.


Theres that, or we could all be happy that Port are pretty much irrelevant this century


You wouldn't know it going by the amount they're talked about in here.
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6237
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby LMA » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:48 pm

Wedgie wrote:Had a few errands to run today on my day off and made the mistake of going down Port Rd to get to Supercheap and witnessing that the chimney was no longer red and white.
Must admit though they've done a better of the Bays colours than they did Norths, I think mainly because of the way they did the Vee it never looked quite right.


Maybe the painters are Eagles fans
User avatar
LMA
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6237
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:37 pm
Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Spargo » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 pm

LMA wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Had a few errands to run today on my day off and made the mistake of going down Port Rd to get to Supercheap and witnessing that the chimney was no longer red and white.
Must admit though they've done a better of the Bays colours than they did Norths, I think mainly because of the way they did the Vee it never looked quite right.


Maybe the painters are Eagles fans


The elderly shouldn’t be on ladders that high...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach
 
 
Posts: 12666
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:42 pm
Location: Printing the t-shirts
Has liked: 3746 times
Been liked: 3890 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:03 pm

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:
Booney wrote:All in all we can all be happy, North are no longer reigning premiers.

I think there's something in that for all of us.


Far Cough


Footy Nirvana for us Bays fans,

We beat Port for a flag and replace North as Premiers.

I'm happier than a dog with two dicks.....
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15236
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 1028 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby am Bays » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:12 pm

Booney wrote:
stan wrote:Glenelg easy here. Just a better all round team and the want will be greater.

Also how will Port stop the big talks of Glenelg?


Hard to stop them now, they've been talking themselves up all year.


Not quite, I'm not going to stop talking about this for a year!!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15236
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 1028 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby therisingblues » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:03 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
therisingblues wrote:I'm enjoying these "This Is Your Life" style posts from Bays fans. :lol:
Seriously though, I can completely relate, and did the exact same thing when Sturt broke the ice in 2016 and I finally had the good fortune of being there and seeing it.
It brings home the meaning of a SANFL flag for so many, and I cannot help but reflect on what it meant for me back then. Regardless of the distractons that threaten to disenfranchise, the SANFL still remains as a competition for the people. Where those with early memories watching Aussie Rules at their own home grounds can expect to turn up and enjoy the spectacle of the last hit-out of the season. Watershed moments like the Bays this year, capture some of the old fervour for SANFL footy, that gripped our city for over a hundred years. The connection remains and hopefully continues to perpetuate with upcoming generations. My 8y/o is certainly aware of who the good guys and bad guys are in the SANFL. On Sunday, he knew Glenelg were the good guys.
But just for a short time.


I would have thought 2002 would have been that moment for you? Even longer wait between success and the horror of the 90s?

I was in Japan in the first year of a new position at work. No way I could've gone to Australia.
Instead I had a video of the game sent over. I stayed away from the internet and ceased all contact with Australia until I'd seen the game.
2016, however, I was actually THERE.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
User avatar
therisingblues
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6190
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:50 am
Location: Fukuoka
Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby am Bays » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:24 pm

Needs to be bumped!
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15236
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 1028 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Brett » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:42 pm

Youre just trying to get the 2 Port supporters that post on here to bite.
Brett
League Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:18 am

:lol: ^ guy.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 50270
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 5569 times
Been liked: 8452 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:40 pm

Interesting food for thought previously on this forum about a stand alone Port Adelaide magpie team!
Will they ever win a flag in SANFL as is?
A pity for their old true believers as time marches on.
VALE PARK
Under 18s
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:32 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby am Bays » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:39 pm

Booney wrote::lol: ^ guy.


:lol: ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
User avatar
am Bays
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15236
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:04 pm
Location: The back bar at Lennies
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 1028 times

Re: Glenelg V Port Grand Final

Postby Brett » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:24 pm

am Bays wrote:
Booney wrote::lol: ^ guy.


:lol: ;)

Tedious . :roll:
Brett
League Bench Warmer
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:37 pm
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 68 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests