Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Animus » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:23 pm

I have no idea LGIL !!

Maybe the Emus still have bad memories from last years Elimination Final @ Christies?

Reynella should be fresh and sharp after the training run they had on Sunday

Any news on coaching/player movement yet or is it too early still?
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:09 pm

Animus wrote:I have no idea LGIL !!

Maybe the Emus still have bad memories from last years Elimination Final @ Christies?

Reynella should be fresh and sharp after the training run they had on Sunday

Any news on coaching/player movement yet or is it too early still?

I wouldn't be writing off the emus just yet and I'd bet on an emus v wineflies GF

As for player movements it seems some valley juniors who went elsewhere are now coming back home to play together.... Very handy inclusions!

Is it too early to say bring on 2017? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:50 pm

Emu's run and spread wasn't great last weekend, can't see a big Christies Oval suiting them which will give Porties every chance
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3563 times

Postby sweendog » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:17 pm

still in shock after watching my saints get ko'd first round of finals!! how do we keep same squad bring in a gun ruckman a full forward thats kicks 100+ goals and another good onballer and fail miserably.....GET rid coach and bring back my boy KING CRATEY
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby strike me pink » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:52 pm

As stated before - anyone in the Top 6 still capable of winning this year - wouldn't write off anyone yet, like the comments of Emu's not liking a big deck, heard that a few time this year - about to find out Saturday I suppose.
strike me pink
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Boof » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:02 pm

strike me pink wrote:As stated before - anyone in the Top 6 still capable of winning this year - wouldn't write off anyone yet, like the comments of Emu's not liking a big deck, heard that a few time this year - about to find out Saturday I suppose.

Totally agree smp. Flaggies where super impressive last week, hard to see them being beaten if they continue that form. Although if my memory serves me correctly Brighton have had the wood on them in recent times. Could be wrong about that?
Emus are a super talented team, Bode is a star and Loveridge has really added to their forward line. I personally can't see the bigger ground being a problem, although by games end last weekend they had some very sore looking lads!
Boof
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 6 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:29 pm

Agree any of the top 6 could still win the flag and I can't remember when that was last the case. The Shoes/Flies game will be a cracker on the small Aldinga deck.

Can anyone explain to me how the Teams of the year work? Are these based on Umpires votes? i.e. the B&F from each grade will come from these teams named?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Luke15 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:Agree any of the top 6 could still win the flag and I can't remember when that was last the case. The Shoes/Flies game will be a cracker on the small Aldinga deck.

Can anyone explain to me how the Teams of the year work? Are these based on Umpires votes? i.e. the B&F from each grade will come from these teams named?

Its voted on.by the umpires and we all know how pathetic they have been this year. I can comfortably say through observations that the standard of umpiring has gone backwards this year. I wouldnt take too much notice of this TOTY Dutchy. I mean come on seriously how can someone from OSB get in there when they won 3 games.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks, so safe to say that from these teams in each grade the SFL B&F winner will come from them?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby 85 WAS A GOOD YEAR » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Dutchy wrote:Thanks, so safe to say that from these teams in each grade the SFL B&F winner will come from them?

Yes, they are the top vote getters in each grade

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR
League - Best 21

Has liked: 99 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:22 am

Team of the Year was introduced for the junior grades several years ago and is simply the top 21/22 vote getters which of course means the winner of the medal is among them. This year they have integrated the Sun U14 top vote getters with the U14 TOTY which is an acceptable concept. No problem with the Junior TOTYs because all the best junior players tend to play on ball and will be the ones who get the votes.

But the recently introduced A grade TOTY is massively disrespectful to the best CHB in the league by daylight Will Rivers. Captain of the SFL and Southern Dist and SA Country rep This year. But how a bloke who takes 15 to 20 marks each week, most contested, can still not make the top 21 in the voting is a sad indictment on the umpiring fraternity that is CSLFUP. Particularly when 2 blokes from a winless basket case have presumably polled more than 9 or 10 votes is astounding. Now we all know that a team that is getting flogged can get some soft sympathy frees from the umpires and we can live with that but if the umps have given sympathy votes in games when the winning team should get the 3-2-1 then they are making a mockery of the Mail Medal.

The A grade TOTY should be selected by a panel. Maybe give them the top 5 or 6 vote getters to ensure there are no embarrassing ommisions but lets have a proper TOTY which of course should also include at least a couple from the Wineflies.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Luke15 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:03 am

Down the Hill wrote:Team of the Year was introduced for the junior grades several years ago and is simply the top 21/22 vote getters which of course means the winner of the medal is among them. This year they have integrated the Sun U14 top vote getters with the U14 TOTY which is an acceptable concept. No problem with the Junior TOTYs because all the best junior players tend to play on ball and will be the ones who get the votes.

But the recently introduced A grade TOTY is massively disrespectful to the best CHB in the league by daylight Will Rivers. Captain of the SFL and Southern Dist and SA Country rep This year. But how a bloke who takes 15 to 20 marks each week, most contested, can still not make the top 21 in the voting is a sad indictment on the umpiring fraternity that is CSLFUP. Particularly when 2 blokes from a winless basket case have presumably polled more than 9 or 10 votes is astounding. Now we all know that a team that is getting flogged can get some soft sympathy frees from the umpires and we can live with that but if the umps have given sympathy votes in games when the winning team should get the 3-2-1 then they are making a mockery of the Mail Medal.

The A grade TOTY should be selected by a panel. Maybe give them the top 5 or 6 vote getters to ensure there are no embarrassing ommisions but lets have a proper TOTY which of course should also include at least a couple from the Wineflies.

DTH i agree whole heartedly with your post. How Will Rivers has not made the side is an effing joke. But like i said earlier the umpiring fraternity this year is a joke. A panel is a great idea and yes there will always be conjecture but currently as it stands no-one gives a shit about the Senior TOTY. I was very surprised to see the list which included only 2 Emus, 1 Bomber, 2 Falcons and 0 Wineflies. How.does this work.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby godra » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:57 am

Luke15 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Team of the Year was introduced for the junior grades several years ago and is simply the top 21/22 vote getters which of course means the winner of the medal is among them. This year they have integrated the Sun U14 top vote getters with the U14 TOTY which is an acceptable concept. No problem with the Junior TOTYs because all the best junior players tend to play on ball and will be the ones who get the votes.

DTH i agree whole heartedly with your post. How Will Rivers has not made the side is an effing joke. But like i said earlier the umpiring fraternity this year is a joke. A panel is a great idea and yes there will always be conjecture but currently as it stands no-one gives a shit about the Senior TOTY. I was very surprised to see the list which included only 2 Emus, 1 Bomber, 2 Falcons and 0 Wineflies. How.does this work.

Where would one be able to view this team?
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby jet-airport » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Luke15 wrote:

Voting is ridiculous, how about doing as the AFL coaches award.... both coaches pick their oppositions 3 x best players!!
This way we will have an educated selection on performance from the opposition versed.

Unbelievable TOTY;
- Lad from Aldinga No 19 - only played for half the year and went back to Melb!!!!
- Rivers omission is disgraceful.
- 2 x 100 goal full forwards don't get a sniff.
- 2 blokes from Marion the lowest scoring for and highest scoring against side in 2016 - get their CHB and CHF in???
jet-airport
Rookie

Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby spot on » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:02 pm

godra wrote:
Luke15 wrote:

Where would one be able to view this team?

Team is on SFL Facebook.
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:02 pm

Agree DTH, the coaches could do their top 5 from each game and it would be pretty accurate with the amount of opposition analysis that goes into A grade coaching these days they pretty much know every player.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby shoe boy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:31 pm

The award that makes a mockery of the process is TEAM MAN AWARD .

I am aware of an A grade player that received maximum votes by his coach each week to prove a point and win the award (and not from the Shoe)

Let the opposition coach select and we have an award with credibility .

I don't want to disrespect any winner of awards but if you win a goal kicking award and possibly play a side on the bottom of the table winless 4 times while all others play once or twice ? Just saying :)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Old_mate21 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:13 pm

So you don't want to disrespect any award winners by disrespecting them, they can only play against who they are told to. Bit of a cheap shot.
Old_mate21
Rookie

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 39 times

Postby shoe boy » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:43 am

Old_mate21 wrote:So you don't want to disrespect any award winners by disrespecting them, they can only play against who they are told to. Bit of a cheap shot.

Shoot me!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL