Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Q. wrote:With Patrick 'Puzzle Piece' Ryder out for the year, how will Port complete the puzzle when they are missing a piece?

I thought Polec was the missing piece....
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5538 times
Been liked: 5171 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Chuck Wepner » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:38 pm

Spargo wrote:
Q. wrote:With Patrick 'Puzzle Piece' Ryder out for the year, how will Port complete the puzzle when they are missing a piece?

There's no doubt he was missed last year.
I say no to drugs, but they don’t listen.
Chuck Wepner
Under 16s

Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 23 times
Grassroots Team: United Yeelanna

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:42 pm

Chuck Wepner wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Lol - give me a break.
The hype on this bloke is unbelievable.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5538 times
Been liked: 5171 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby JK » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:18 am

Spargo wrote:
Chuck Wepner wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Lol - give me a break.
The hype on this bloke is unbelievable.

He hasn't been a top 40 player in the AFL or anything, but he's pretty important to Ports setup I reckon
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:58 pm

Polec was 3rd for PA in running bounces, Inside 50's and Rebound 50's for season 2014. Port were #1 in the comp that season for average marks I50- courtesy of the quality and speed of our outside ball movement. Polec and White were huge figures in that. No surprises that minus Polec, and injury and form re. White- our numbers dropped significantly in these statistical categories.

JK summed it up- not a top 40 player, but a hugely important link to Port's transition of the footy.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:55 am

valleys07 wrote:Polec was 3rd for PA in running bounces, Inside 50's and Rebound 50's for season 2014. Port were #1 in the comp that season for average marks I50- courtesy of the quality and speed of our outside ball movement. Polec and White were huge figures in that. No surprises that minus Polec, and injury and form re. White- our numbers dropped significantly in these statistical categories.

JK summed it up- not a top 40 player, but a hugely important link to Port's transition of the footy.

Was very much part of the fact Schulz, Westhoff and Monfries struggled at times during 2015. They had been given time and space by the run and carry Polec and White ( along with others, obviously ) created in '14 and without that quick movement from those so called "80 metre players" ( the ones around the league who can carry for 15-20 and kick 50-60 ) the Port forward line were often stop/start, out of position, mistimed leads as a result.

Not loading these guys with all that responsibility, Boak would have liked a better '15 and will handle hard tags better in the future, Hartlett might be more from the midfield instead of half back replacing Polec as well.

So a Polec, White, free'd up Boak and more F50 looking Hartlett it might just help the likes of Schulz and Dixon to take some clunks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby JK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:02 am

Booney wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Polec was 3rd for PA in running bounces, Inside 50's and Rebound 50's for season 2014. Port were #1 in the comp that season for average marks I50- courtesy of the quality and speed of our outside ball movement. Polec and White were huge figures in that. No surprises that minus Polec, and injury and form re. White- our numbers dropped significantly in these statistical categories.

Was very much part of the fact Schulz, Westhoff and Monfries struggled at times during 2015. They had been given time and space by the run and carry Polec and White ( along with others, obviously ) created in '14 and without that quick movement from those so called "80 metre players" ( the ones around the league who can carry for 15-20 and kick 50-60 ) the Port forward line were often stop/start, out of position, mistimed leads as a result.

Not loading these guys with all that responsibility, Boak would have liked a better '15 and will handle hard tags better in the future, Hartlett might be more from the midfield instead of half back replacing Polec as well.

So a Polec, White, free'd up Boak and more F50 looking Hartlett it might just help the likes of Schulz and Dixon to take some clunks.

I reckon the loss of Polec & White's output (of 2014) exposed the back half more too in terms of their transition from there
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 am

Absolutely, it put more emphasis on Pittard being the ball carrier and we all know his ability to produce monumental **** ups at any time, as well as Hombsch being used a little more offensively than he did in '14 where he was glove like on his opponent at times.

Carlile is a pretty good ball user for a big man over the 30-40m range and he was hardly sighted in '15, certainly not in any type of form or fitness to be able to make the most of the possessions he got. He looks to have trimmed down considerably this summer, his hip/back might be freed up a little by the loss of some rump/arse.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 am

So where does Broadbent play this year - Predominantly out of the back-half? I liked Krakeour in that sweeping type role because he's such a good kick, but also wouldnt be upset as a Port fan to see him try and fill the Monfries role. Suppose someone like Neade gets first crack at that?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:22 pm

JK wrote:So where does Broadbent play this year - Predominantly out of the back-half? I liked Krakeour in that sweeping type role because he's such a good kick, but also wouldnt be upset as a Port fan to see him try and fill the Monfries role. Suppose someone like Neade gets first crack at that?
Be great to see more of Neade, but I suspect Toumpas might also be eyeing off that spot as well, or how about Sam Gray Sam Colqhoun or Aaron Young?
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby JK » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Oops, I forgot you guys picked up Toumpas. Im not sure Young or Colqhoun are as well suited to that type of role (}{as Neade, Gray or Krakeour), but I earn $0 from my footy expertise lol and theres probably a reason for that.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:11 pm

JK wrote:So where does Broadbent play this year - Predominantly out of the back-half? I liked Krakeour in that sweeping type role because he's such a good kick, but also wouldnt be upset as a Port fan to see him try and fill the Monfries role. Suppose someone like Neade gets first crack at that?

Brogs must play HB, JK. Is our best rebounding defender by someway, leading the club for running bounces and Rebound 50's last year. If he gets the defensive side of his role to match the offensive output- he will become one of the best defenders in the league. Consistency is his issue, just look at his R3 game v North vs. the majority of his year- big gulf. As Boon said though, Polec and White missing large chunks of the year played a part in the inconsistencies of our back 6. As for Krak- best 22 easily on talent, but we haven't heard much from the club regarding his fitness levels. I suspect with the reduction in interchange cap, he has his work cut out to force his way into the 22.

Ruben Carter wrote:
Be great to see more of Neade, but I suspect Toumpas might also be eyeing off that spot as well, or how about Sam Gray Sam Colqhoun or Aaron Young?

Not sure about Toumpas across half forward. I can't say I have seen much of him in that position. A devastating wingman when at peak fitness, I dare say that if he is to get a game in the best 22, he will play wing with White shifting to half forward. Sam Gray will play predominately midfield this year resting up forward, especially given what we saw in the back end of last year. There is no way he is a starting pocket. Young and Colquhoun will be depth at best, which is a shame as they are both hard workers, just not enough tricks in the bag for mine.
Last edited by valleys07 on Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:21 pm

Another bit of positive news out of Alberton today- Jared Polec joined in with the main group today for the first time in 265(?) days. Polly said himself that the foot felt really good, and is now targeting 1 NAB cup game, and with the clearance of rehabilitation staff and the selection committee- selection for R1.

Absolutely stoked with this news!

And in other positive news- Charlie Dixon didn't fall over, and social media was quiet ;)

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:39 am

I'll have a crack at my round 1 side then :

Jonas Carlile Pittard
Hombsch Trengove Broadbent
Polec Boak Ebert
Hartlett Westhoff White
Wingard Schulz Dixon

Lobbe Wines R.Gray

Int : Ah Chee, Young, S.Gray, Amon, Toumpas, Impey, Neade etc etc
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:03 am

Carlile at FF might catch a few teams out ;)

Good looking lineup, even without Ryder and Monfries. Barring a savage run on the injury front, they have to be right around the money.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby stan » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am

JK wrote:Carlile at FF might catch a few teams out ;)

Good looking lineup, even without Ryder and Monfries. Barring a savage run on the injury front, they have to be right around the money.

Savage run? Bloody hell mate if they get one injury to a key player it woulf hurt. Imagine if Lobbe went down?

Whilst its a good 22, the loss of Ryder and Monfries will hurt there depth. An area that Port has steuggled with.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1256 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 am

stan wrote:
JK wrote:Carlile at FF might catch a few teams out ;)

Savage run? Bloody hell mate if they get one injury to a key player it woulf hurt. Imagine if Lobbe went down?

Whilst its a good 22, the loss of Ryder and Monfries will hurt there depth. An area that Port has steuggled with.

Savage run doesn't have to mean numbers - Could be Boak, Lobbe and Gray for the year with no other injuries, but it would sink them. Same with all/most clubs.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:57 am

Booney wrote:I'll have a crack at my round 1 side then :

Jonas Carlile Pittard
Polec Boak Ebert
Hartlett Westhoff White
Wingard Schulz Dixon

Lobbe Wines R.Gray

That's a fair side! Injury free (that's the key)- we will be tough to beat. I'll have a crack:

FB: Broadbent Carlisle Jonas
HB: Pittard Trengove Hombsch
C: Polec Wines Hartlett
HF: Neade Dixon White
FF: Westhoff Schulz Wingard

R: Lobbe Boak R.Gray

I/C: Ebert Impey S.Gray Ah Chee

Unlucky: Toumpas Young Amon

valleys07
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Booney wrote:I'll have a crack at my round 1 side then :

Jonas Carlile Pittard
Polec Boak Ebert
Hartlett Westhoff White
Wingard Schulz Dixon

Lobbe Wines R.Gray

Dixons gonna get thru pre-season???

:D ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 166 times
Been liked: 1832 times

Postby GWW » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:57 pm

FF Wingard, Schulz, Dixon
HF R Gray, Westhoff, Hartlett
C Polec, Wines, Ah Chee
HB Jonas, Hombsch, Pittard
FB Trengove, Carlile, Impey

RUCK