wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby stan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 pm

Apparently he is thinking about not playing this weekend. I actually think the crowd will be quite well behaved this weekend. After all that Adelaide has been through and the support from rival teams, I cant see them booing anybody. And its a Sydney home game after all.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:04 pm

He should just move onto his political career now and spare us the politics in football
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:15 pm

Great memo by Brian Cook to Geelong members

GEELONG CEO Brian Cook has moved to ensure the club is on the front foot in relation to crowd behaviour when Adam Goodes and the Sydney Swans visit Simonds Stadium to play Geelong on Saturday week.

Geelong has already been in contact with the Sydney Swans and will liaise with their own players and staff, the AFL and the AFLPA to ensure they deliver a strong message about what they consider appropriate standards of behaviour for supporters at the game.

Cook told AFL.com.au it was important the Cats took action to support both their reconciliation action plan and diversity policy.

"What is going on is not the Geelong way - treating people unfairly and being abusive - so we want to do something about it to make a stand against those elements," Cook said.

"It's really important our crowd is very fair about this and thoughtful about what they do."

Cook conceded the inherent difficulty in prescribing how people behave, but said their message was about maintaining the standards that people were used to and expected when they went to the football.

"In the ideal world you want your crowd to demonstrate the strong values the club has…where the values of the club are not only demonstrated by the employees of the clubs but all of its followers," Cook said.

"It's more of a philosophy… you never stop trying to get there and it would be remiss of us not to try to get there."

Geelong hosts the Sydney Swans in round 19 under lights at Simonds Stadium in a game that could determine the club’s finals chances.

At their most recent home game the Cats wore their indigenous jumper and celebrated Close the Gap round to promote the national Close the Gap campaign.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:19 pm

FFS, what a farce.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby Wedgie » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:35 pm

Hopefully the decent people in the crowd put the feral rednecks in their place. Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when a dickhead North supporter decided to get out of his car and hurl abuse at Irra from South for no reason, luckily the peanut sulked back to his car when I told him to shut up also asking if he'd like to have a go at me instead.
Nothing like the unfair abuse Irra copped at Norwood a few weeks earlier but I'd like to think I helped out in my own little way letting wankers like that know where they belong in society, ie below the lowest rung.
I hope more others do the same.
Good to see Geelong being proactive. Hopefully it works.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:Hopefully the decent people in the crowd put the feral rednecks in their place. Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when a dickhead North supporter decided to get out of his car and hurl abuse at Irra from South for no reason, luckily the peanut sulked back to his car when I told him to shut up also asking if he'd like to have a go at me instead.
Nothing like the unfair abuse Irra copped at Norwood a few weeks earlier but I'd like to think I helped out in my own little way letting wankers like that know where they belong in society, ie below the lowest rung.

The banter at Irra was funny at first because it wasnt racial. After he made a couple of clangers a few blokes bronxed him when he got a good kick and a few calls of spud was thrown at him. Was only later in the game when a pissed bloke started with the racial stuff, a few other Norwood supporters told him to pull his head in and last I saw the security had him bailed up.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3561 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby OnSong » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I reckon the sort of all-encompassing statement such as that from 360 is part of the problem with this debate.
Lots of people are making all-encompassing statements, such as:

* All the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* None of the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* We shouldn't be booing.
* People have always been booed.

None of them reflect the nuances that every action encompasses.

I concede that Goodes was occasionally booed prior to Gorillagate - as were others.
However, between Gorillagate and the first match where the Swans spoke out about it, that booing intensified (and to a continual level I've never heard before).
Why, I believe it was because he challenged white Australia. The booing started from some with racial intent and others followed, for their own reasons.
Since the controversy earlier this season when this debate started, I believe there is still racial intent behind some of the boos, but the rest of the folk generally don't know why they're booing. They're just doing it because it's a "thing". It's football's planking, a trend that will disappear.
Not all booing is bad. But...not all booing is as innocent as some would like to make it.

All of that probably sounds convoluted, but the point is, nothing's as simple, or black and white, as we'd like it to be in this debate.

Exactly. We don't want it to be about race but at least a part of it is, no matter how much people go to great lengths to say it isn't.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 533 times
Been liked: 551 times

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:46 pm

OnSong wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I reckon the sort of all-encompassing statement such as that from 360 is part of the problem with this debate.
Lots of people are making all-encompassing statements, such as:

* All the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* None of the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* We shouldn't be booing.
* People have always been booed.

None of them reflect the nuances that every action encompasses.

I concede that Goodes was occasionally booed prior to Gorillagate - as were others.
However, between Gorillagate and the first match where the Swans spoke out about it, that booing intensified (and to a continual level I've never heard before).
Why, I believe it was because he challenged white Australia. The booing started from some with racial intent and others followed, for their own reasons.
Since the controversy earlier this season when this debate started, I believe there is still racial intent behind some of the boos, but the rest of the folk generally don't know why they're booing. They're just doing it because it's a "thing". It's football's planking, a trend that will disappear.
Not all booing is bad. But...not all booing is as innocent as some would like to make it.

All of that probably sounds convoluted, but the point is, nothing's as simple, or black and white, as we'd like it to be in this debate.

Exactly. We don't want it to be about race but at least a part of it is , no matter how much people go to great lengths to say it isn't.

And the point of that being, why would you sleep with dogs if you're only gonna get fleas?
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:13 pm

I love how people are full of self righteous indignation and will not be told who they can and cannot boo and the reason they boo is because of blah but still feel it's OK for them to dictate how Adam should feel or how he should react and because he has not reacted in a way they ( being the mob ) have determined to be fit then that somehow forms a a basis to justify booing him even more. Adam is not the one that needs to alter his behaviour. And to try and justify this behaviour by saying well no other player who boos whinges about it then neither should he defies logic. If Adam Goodes is offended and emotionally drained as a result of this vile treatment THAT should be enough to stop it.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:41 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I love how people are full of self righteous indignation and will not be told who they can and cannot boo and the reason they boo is because of blah but still feel it's OK for them to dictate how Adam should feel or how he should react and because he has not reacted in a way they ( being the mob ) have determined to be fit then that somehow forms a a basis to justify booing him even more. Adam is not the one that needs to alter his behaviour. And to try and justify this behaviour by saying well no other player who boos whinges about it then neither should he defies logic. If Adam Goodes is offended and emotionally drained as a result of this vile treatment THAT should be enough to stop it.

exactly - complete lack of respect shown
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:42 pm

Wedgie wrote:Hopefully the decent people in the crowd put the feral rednecks in their place. Reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when a dickhead North supporter decided to get out of his car and hurl abuse at Irra from South for no reason, luckily the peanut sulked back to his car when I told him to shut up also asking if he'd like to have a go at me instead.

I did the same earlier in the year, though not because someone was being racist - he was having a go at Nick Riewoldt, for being knocked out and not getting off the ground fast enough.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Bully » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:29 am

What a comical story. I don't follow AFL but of course been hearing this over the past few days

If a professional player can not take booing from the crowd then maybe this player should be thinking of another career.

Not knowing the full story but This Adam Goodes is a great player from what i have been told. But have also been told he instigates this and provokes the crowd with some war dance ? Well there is your answer, stop this and maybe the booing will stop.

Also he apparently said "the face of racism in Australia is a 13 year old girl"?????? After that girl called him an ape or something
This players father is a scotsman is he not ??? But he goes on about embracing his culture, yet i have never seen him in a kilt or eating hagus ( whatever its called )

Most if not all sporting leagues around the world have players that are booed . But we don't see them having a cry and saying they cant take it. And we don't see the leagues officials saying "the crowd should sit silent for the whole match and not boo anyone if they feel the need to".

God, the referees get booed the whole game don't they??? We don't see them having a cry and saying they will leave the field. Come on , sure these people who say "don't boo goodes" have not sat silent in every game they have attended and not had a dispute , not racial, at a player because what he/she/they did ?
Bully
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 120 times

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:10 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I love how people are full of self righteous indignation and will not be told who they can and cannot boo and the reason they boo is because of blah but still feel it's OK for them to dictate how Adam should feel or how he should react and because he has not reacted in a way they ( being the mob ) have determined to be fit then that somehow forms a a basis to justify booing him even more. Adam is not the one that needs to alter his behaviour. And to try and justify this behaviour by saying well no other player who boos whinges about it then neither should he defies logic. If Adam Goodes is offended and emotionally drained as a result of this vile treatment THAT should be enough to stop it.

So None of you have had a go at Bernard Tomic or Nick Kyrgios lately?
If they came out and said something along the lines of " I'm offended from negative energy that's directed at me, by the Aussie Public" does that mean we stop it, embrace it,attempt to understand their persona and accept their behaviour.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:19 am

helicopterking wrote:

So None of you have had a go at Bernard Tomic or Nick Kyrgios lately?
If they came out and said something along the lines of " I'm offended from negative energy that's directed at me, by the Aussie Public" does that mean we stop it, embrace it,attempt to understand their persona and accept their behaviour.

As negative as people have been, everyone agrees that what dawn Fraser said was unacceptable. But yet Goodes being booed is somehow fine.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:20 am

Bully wrote:What a comical story. I don't follow AFL but of course been hearing this over the past few days

If a professional player can not take booing from the crowd then maybe this player should be thinking of another career.

Not knowing the full story but This Adam Goodes is a great player from what i have been told. But have also been told he instigates this and provokes the crowd with some war dance ? Well there is your answer, stop this and maybe the booing will stop.

Also he apparently said "the face of racism in Australia is a 13 year old girl"?????? After that girl called him an ape or something
This players father is a scotsman is he not ??? But he goes on about embracing his culture, yet i have never seen him in a kilt or eating hagus ( whatever its called )

Most if not all sporting leagues around the world have players that are booed . But we don't see them having a cry and saying they cant take it. And we don't see the leagues officials saying "the crowd should sit silent for the whole match and not boo anyone if they feel the need to".

God, the referees get booed the whole game don't they??? We don't see them having a cry and saying they will leave the field. Come on , sure these people who say "don't boo goodes" have not sat silent in every game they have attended and not had a dispute , not racial, at a player because what he/she/they did ?

Go back to not following afl. What a load of crap.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 am

Bully wrote:What a comical story. I don't follow AFL but of course been hearing this over the past few days

Has NEVER said that...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:30 am

Do I think the booing is racist? No
Do I think some people booing are racist? Yes
Do I think Adam Goodes is a knob? Yes
Do I think he deserves to be systematically booed for every possession? No
Do I think this is a form of bullying which IMO is the bigger issue? Yes
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2634 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 am

Roo and Ditts are a disgrace!!! Heaven forbid someone actually defend Goodes...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Roo and Ditts are a disgrace!!! Heaven forbid someone actually defend Goodes...

Some are allowed to have a different opinion without the risk of being labelled Racist.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:40 am

MW wrote:Do I think the booing is racist? No
Do I think some people booing are racist? Yes
Do I think Adam Goodes is a knob? Yes
Do I think he deserves to be systematically booed for every possession? No
Do I think this is a form of bullying which IMO is the bigger issue? Yes

This - though at least some of the booing is racist