Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby valleys07 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:32 pm

NAB 2 Review vs. Richmond- We Are….The Academy!

PAFC 5.7.37
RFC 1.14.10.103

Goals- Young 2, Broadbent, Clurey, Redden.

I read a great stat before the first bounce, which immediately put my heart at ease and allowed me to brace myself for what was going to be a long afternoon in front of the telly. The stat? Richmond had a combined games tally today of 2003 playing today, Port had 682. More compelling was our outs: Travis Boak, Robbie Gray, Brad Ebert, Hamish Hartlett, Ollie Wines, Kane Cornes, Matt Lobbe, Alipate Carlisle, Jackson Trengove, Tom Jonas, Jay Schulz, Justin Westhoff, Chad Wingard, Paddy Ryder, Angus Monfries. What this did offer us was a magnificent opportunity to observe our 2nd tier talent, exposing some of them to the elite level for the first time.

Given the lopsided result, there isn’t a great deal to discuss.

Things that went right:

• Our adherence to our game plan was consistent over 4 quarters. Despite the scoreline, I thought the teams endeavour to stick to Hinkley’s attacking mantra was pleasing. Whilst the skills and fitness levels of the squad’s younger players are evidently disproportional, it will be great to watch the evolution of some of these players at SANFL level as the season progresses.
• The performance of a few players in uncustomary positions. Fingers crossed this given Ken an added string to the bow if teams get a sustained period of dominance in a particular area.

Things that went wrong:
• Skill level was disappointing. Excluding the first year draftees, it was really disappointing to see simple skill errors and unforced errors from players that have been on our list for multiple seasons.
• A 2nd string forward line that is a long way back from the pack. Evidence is clear we are a long way back from the depth of a Hawthorn and Sydney. If we get injuries to KPP’s again this year, it will severely dent our chances of a 2nd Premiership.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Jared Polec. I thought Jared was our best player today and is looking towards becoming a more consistent cog in our midfield this season. Visibly stronger around the contest and again fitter on last year, his repeat running a highlight. 26 touches (19 UCP), 5 clearances, 3 I50’s saw him top Port’s statistical numbers along with Mitchell. Will benefit from a stronger showing in the contested stakes, particularly stoppages.

Matthew Broadbent- Liked what I saw of Brogsy today, particularly when Ken flagged more midfield minutes for Matty this season earlier this week and during today’s game. Took a little while to get into the contest, but was clearly our most dominant midfielder after half time. Finished the game with 21 possessions, 4 clearances, 3 I50’s and a nice goal. Look forward to seeing him through the midfield this season as I do believe he can add value to the quality of F50 entries with elite disposal, similar to Hamish Hartlett with the ability to kick over the lines.

Paul Stewart- Put in another compelling performance on the much taller Vickery, whilst generating significant rebound offensively. Numbers of 20 touches, 7 marks, 3 R50s backed up a strong performance from last week, and another performance like this next week will give Hinkley one hell of a conundrum surrounding the make-up of his back 6 in round 1.

Jack Hombsch- In fairness, Jack Riewoldt got the better of the contest early, but not a lot did go right when a scoreline of 38-0 was the result at quarter time. Hombschy gradually got the better of the contest as the game wore on, forcing Riewoldt to collect a lot of his possessions up the field and limit his presence on the scoreboard. Numbers of 13 possessions, 7 marks and 2 R50’s whilst limiting Riewoldt to 11 touches and a goal is a solid first up performance for 2015.

Karl Amon- Beginning to find his feet and is getting closer to a debut by the week. He was a little sloppy by foot on occasions, but works very hard offensively and was solid defensively. 18 touches, 7 marks and 3 tackles rounded out a solid day.

The rest:

Kane Mitchell- 26 touches (65% DE) and 3 I50’s looks good on paper, but was largely ineffective for mine. Works hard both ways, but I’m not sure he has what it takes to cut our best 22. Makes far too many skill errors (largely under no pressure), which just won’t see him take that next step.
Aaron Young- Did some nice things, finishing with 21 touches and 2 goals. Well and truly in line for a round 1 spot after the poor showing of his competitors.

Cam O’Shea- It’s hard to gauge the quality of defenders when they are under the pump to the magnitude Port were today, but along with Stewart and Hombsch, I thought O’Shea defended really well. 16 touches and 7 marks probably won’t see him in the round 1 line up, but definitely around the mark.

Tom Logan-12 possessions and 5 marks with 4 1%ers, a typlical Logan game- workman like.

Brendon Ah Chee- Needs to improve and quickly. Unlike last week he found some footy today, finishing with 14 touches and 3 tackles. Good in close but Port fans question his pace and I’m inclined to agree. Will need some consistent 30+ SANFL games in the Ben Newton mould to get a look in this season.

Jarrad Redden- Was just brilliant to see the big fella back in action. Largely ineffective due to his 2 year hiatus from any level of footy and Maric showed the gap in fitness, but a last quarter goal along with 21 hitouts was another step in his recovery. Will be a massive in for the Magpies as he re-gains his touch throughout the season.

Matt White- His round 1 spot under question for mine. 2 uninspiring displays leave a massive game against the crows required to get a game IMO. 11 touches (most coming late) just isn’t good enough, his run and drive a serious weapon to our premiership hopes.

Jake Neade- Another battling for a spot for Round 1 and although he tried hard, left me unconvinced. Given no space to work his magic, but finished with 3 tackles and was solid defensively.

Darcy Byrne-Jones- Largely insignificant for mine. Went without a disposal for the first half, and although he finished with 9, DE @ 44% won’t do him any favours. Another season to develop in the SANFL beckons.

Tom Clurey- Matched up on Lambert for the 1st half defensively who probably had him for pace. Switched him into the midfield in the 2nd half, finishing with 10 touches at 90% DE and 8 1%ers, rounding out a solid defensive game.

Jasper Pittard- Was excellent until he was subbed off, he is in for a massive year I reckon. 10 touches, 5 marks and 2 R50’s from 50% TOG suggests enough that Ken sees him a massive part of our back 6. Crucial he develops into a fringe A grader, his rebound critical to many of our offensive plays.

Andrew Moore- Back in the pack for a round 1 gig, undid everything that set him apart last week IMO. 12 touches @ 66%, 5 clangers and no influence around the stoppages or centre clearances, as well as no scoreboard impact. Will need a massive game next week to bring him into R1 contention.

Nathan Krakouer- Again very very good, especially in the first half. Tired as the game wore on (expected) but with a senior spot likely available, he is a monty to grab it. His numbers were 10 touches @ 80% DE and 6 R50’s and 6 1%ers- a terrific performance defensively, not giving his opponent an inch.

Sam Gray- His cleanliness stood out today, making many unforced errors under no pressure. 12 touches with 3 clangers and no scoreboard impact. Well and truly superseded by the Krak for a senior spot.

Johann Wagner- Liked what I saw from a SANFL perspective, as I think he has a lot to offer the Magpies this season. Tremendous pace and strength, just needs to impose himself more on the contest. Wished he had of slotted the shot on goal in the 3rd, but was good defensively with 4 tackles and 3 1%ers.

Dougal Howard- I think we have something to work with here, and will offer a bit to the Magpies this season. Crashes packs hard, and whilst he didn’t record great numbers (8 touches, 3 marks)- one certainly can’t question his endeavour.

Jesse Palmer- Similar to Howard, looking forward to watching what he brings to the Magpies this season. Limited time with the ball (6 touches from 52% TOG), but did a few nice things.

Sam Russell- No impact on the contest as the sub, finishing with 1 posession from 40% TOG. Laid 4 tackles, which is a noticeable feature of his game from his 2014 season with the Magpies. Needs to develop offensively.

John Butcher- Same old. Headless chook- constantly out of position, no impact on the contest when the ball went forward. Took a couple of nice grabs when shifted to defence but largely uninspiring.

Mitch Harvey- Huge lump of a lad that needs a mountain of work aerobically to impact the contest. Did some nice things in the centre square when giving Redden a chop out, but a lot of improvement is necessary to see him take the step to AFL level.

A close to full strength side will be on show when we take on the Crows at AAMI on Saturday 21st of March. Hopefully we will put our best resources forward in preparation for a trip out west- the first of a supremely tough 5 week block, season defining one might say. See you at the footy.

Valleys.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:49 am

FORMER Adelaide Crows forward Trent Hentschel will join Port Adelaide in a joint administrative and development role in time for the 2015 season.

Hentschel, 32, was recruited to the Crows with pick No. 5 in the 2002 pre-season draft and eventually played 71 games until his injury-forced retirement in 2010.

He played in 2011 for Woodville-West Torrens and has since acted in a development role for the SANFL’s Eagles, currently as a league assistant coach and football manager.

Hentschel will act as a forward development coach with the Power, supporting fellow Adelaide alumnus-turned-Power forwards coach Tyson Edwards.

Additionally, he will work as the game day forwards line coach for Port Adelaide’s SANFL League side, working under senior coach Garry Hocking and alongside fellow development-cum-SANFL line coaches Stuart Cochrane (backs) and Jacob Surjan (midfield).

Port Adelaide’s general manager of football Chris Davies told portadelaidefc.com.au the acquisition of Hentschel into a joint coaching-administrative role was essential to the club completing its coaching line up.

“With Trent coming into this role, we now have a full team of development coaches supporting our head line coaches,” Davies said.

“Trent was a talented footballer at AFL level and his experience working back from several injuries during his career means he’s got a real depth of experience of what players can deal with day-to-day in the industry.

“He’s done a great job with Woodville-West Torrens as an assistant coach for their league team and will be a great fit for us culturally and in a coaching sense too.

“Administratively, he’ll be assisting to manage the day-to-day needs of the footy department, which is another critical role.”

Hentschel will commence with Port Adelaide at the end of March.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby DOC » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:20 pm

Port have quite a strong Crows connection.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 743 times
Been liked: 2112 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:42 pm

Booney wrote:FORMER Adelaide Crows forward Trent Hentschel will join Port Adelaide in a joint administrative and development role in time for the 2015 season.

Hentschel, 32, was recruited to the Crows with pick No. 5 in the 2002 pre-season draft and eventually played 71 games until his injury-forced retirement in 2010.

He played in 2011 for Woodville-West Torrens and has since acted in a development role for the SANFL’s Eagles, currently as a league assistant coach and football manager.

Hentschel will act as a forward development coach with the Power, supporting fellow Adelaide alumnus-turned-Power forwards coach Tyson Edwards.

Additionally, he will work as the game day forwards line coach for Port Adelaide’s SANFL League side, working under senior coach Garry Hocking and alongside fellow development-cum-SANFL line coaches Stuart Cochrane (backs) and Jacob Surjan (midfield).

Port Adelaide’s general manager of football Chris Davies told portadelaidefc.com.au the acquisition of Hentschel into a joint coaching-administrative role was essential to the club completing its coaching line up.

“With Trent coming into this role, we now have a full team of development coaches supporting our head line coaches,” Davies said.

“Trent was a talented footballer at AFL level and his experience working back from several injuries during his career means he’s got a real depth of experience of what players can deal with day-to-day in the industry.

“He’s done a great job with Woodville-West Torrens as an assistant coach for their league team and will be a great fit for us culturally and in a coaching sense too.

“Administratively, he’ll be assisting to manage the day-to-day needs of the footy department, which is another critical role.”

Hentschel will commence with Port Adelaide at the end of March.

Not really that surprising as his long time partner is a players sister.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:44 pm

Port supporters, does Butcher get a gig round 1 after today?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby carey » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:04 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Port supporters, does Butcher get a gig round 1 after today?

I think he probably does. His work rate against West Coast was outstanding but only manger 2 goals I think? With very poor delivery that day. Again today he worked his ass off when most of the other forward were very 'Lack luster' and to kick 5 in the last Trial before round 1 probably ticks the last box.

Apparently ever since his been with Port his never been able to do a pre-season till this year, may be he'll reap the rewards.

Real hard game to access today. I'm sure Valleys will give a good wrap of it. I actually thought the Crows were quite good. I certainly didn't see that coming.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Red Rocket » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:10 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Port supporters, does Butcher get a gig round 1 after today?

LOL, it was a trial game.
He is a deadset spud, can only get a kick in a mickey mouse practice game. Fully expect to him to be back to his rubbish usual form when the real stuff comes around
Hope he does play because it means they are struggling
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby cracka » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:25 pm

carey wrote:

I think he probably does. His work rate against West Coast was outstanding but only manger 2 goals I think? With very poor delivery that day. Again today he worked his ass off when most of the other forward were very 'Lack luster' and to kick 5 in the last Trial before round 1 probably ticks the last box.

Apparently ever since his been with Port his never been able to do a pre-season till this year, may be he'll reap the rewards.

Real hard game to access today. I'm sure Valleys will give a good wrap of it. I actually thought the Crows were quite good. I certainly didn't see that coming.

Even as a Crows supporter I'm waiting for Valleys wrap. Its a pity he doesn't write for the Advertiser as I might start reading it again if he were.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby stan » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:33 pm

cracka wrote:
carey wrote:

Even as a Crows supporter I'm waiting for Valleys wrap. Its a pity he doesn't write for the Advertiser as I might start reading it again if he were.

I know its crazy right? He analyzes the game from a few different areas and uses his knowledge of the team and the game im his write up. Un heard of in Adelaide because you wouldn't get anything near that in the fish wrapper.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Happy Endings » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:39 pm

Red Rocket wrote:

He is a deadset spud, can only get a kick in a mickey mouse practice game. Fully expect to him to be back to his rubbish usual form when the real stuff comes around

Yet he is better than any forward Centrals have. That bandwagon has gone real quiet in the last couple of years pal.

Hopefully Butch continues to improve and with the benefit of a full pre season he can shut some of the keyboard warriors up who couldn't lace his boots.
Happy Endings
Rookie

Been liked: 24 times
Grassroots Team: West Gambier

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

Yet he is better than any forward Centrals have. That bandwagon has gone real quiet in the last couple of years pal.

Hopefully Butch continues to improve and with the benefit of a full pre season he can shut some of the keyboard warriors up who couldn't lace his boots.

Whats Centrals got to do with it?
Last time I looked it was a AFL topic and my Hawks well and truly have your pissant club covered.
As I said I hope the plonker plays against us even Schoenmakers would give the hack a bath!
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby Happy Endings » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:06 pm

Red Rocket wrote:
Happy Endings wrote:
Red Rocket wrote:

Whats Centrals got to do with it?
Last time I looked it was a AFL topic and my Hawks well and truly have your pissant club covered.
As I said I hope the plonker plays against us even Schoenmakers would give the hack a bath!

Your Hawks lol. All abroad the shit and piss bandwagon. Good on you for barracking for a team that is in another state. There are 3 types of Hawthorn supporters and two of them are full of shit. If your one of the genuine true supporters then good luck to you, my experience with the majority of nobs in SA that go for Hawthorn are bandwagon flogs.

As for our club being "a pissant". It shows you have no analytical ability and another example you're strengths are best displayed from behind a keyboard.
Happy Endings
Rookie

Postby Red Rocket » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Happy Endings wrote:
Your Hawks lol. All abroad the shit and piss bandwagon. Good on you for barracking for a team that is in another state. There are 3 types of Hawthorn supporters and two of them are full of shit. If your one of the genuine true supporters then good luck to you, my experience with the majority of nobs in SA that go for Hawthorn are bandwagon flogs.

As for our club being "a pissant". It shows you have no analytical ability and another example you're strengths are best displayed from behind a keyboard.

Ive never hidden the fact im Victorian and moved over here 18 years ago for work.
I love living here but im not going to stop supporting a side that ive been following for close to 40 years, SA people have this ridiculous notion that to live in SA you must support one the 2 local sides.
As for your bandwagon flogs call its amazing how Port went from 15k crowds to packed houses once they started winning again, a couple of lean years and the tarps will be back out
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Postby Happy Endings » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:52 pm

Fair enough.

As I said I have no problem with the genuine Hawks supporters who I could have a conversation with and who can talk to me about the likes of Peter Curran, Chris Mew and the original freak. It's the others that shit me too tears.

As for the dark tarp days, I was there. Crowds were more around the 20k mark though.
Happy Endings
Rookie

Postby valleys07 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:28 pm

NAB 3 Review vs. Adelaide- Let the real stuff begin!!

PAFC 13.15.93
AFC 3.13.12.117

Goals- Butcher 5, R.Gray, Young, Schulz 2, Ebert, Wines.

Well Power fans (and crows fans too), can NAB 3 be read into with much substance? Did the Crows head to AAMI intent on making an early statement to the competition by beating a nearly full strength top 4 side? Were Port satisfied with the way the first half transpired and spent the 2nd half foxing, intent on getting to round 1 unscathed? Being brutally honest- probably both.

Let’s not discount the performance of the Crows firstly, they were impressive yesterday and are this seasons bolter into the 8, perhaps top 4 if all the stars align. Walsh has the makings of a side looking to play ruthless defence first football with some impressive offence on the turnover, and their tackling pressure was immense yesterday- a stat I can’t recall Adelaide excelling in for a number of seasons. Despite Adelaide winning the contested possession stat 150-136 and tackles 73-69, there are two areas of concern for Walsh and his coaching staff. The number of times Port did use link up handball to good effect, setting up numerous attacking forays did expose Adelaide for lack of pace on the ovelap. Who will assist Talia? Against the Cats, Mitch Clark helped himself to 6 on Kyle Hartigan whilst Talia blanketed Hawkins, and yesterday Hartigan and Kyle Cheney allowed John Butcher to kick 5. Teams with 2 genuine key forwards in Hawthorn and Sydney will comfortably expose Adelaide in this area.

For Port- not a great deal went right after half time, however it was evident for mine that Hinkley was tampering with positioning looking for that plan B. Through stages of the 2nd half Port were operating very much a 2nd string midfield rotations (Westhoff I could appreciate but Schulz!?). We were consistently exposed over the back, and the 2 way running that we have been renowned for over the past 2 seasons largely went missing. Whether that’s taking the foot off the gas in preparation for a fortnights time, or a genuine working over from the AFC I don’t know, but we will know for sure after round 5.

Things that went right:
• Our starting midfield worked brilliantly, with centre clearance and stoppage work poetry in motion at times. Boak and Gray looked a class above during the first half, with Ebert and Wines involved in plenty of overlap play. Boak and Wines in particular were massive in the tackling stakes- not just numbers but ability to stick the tackle.
• The Fuchia! Yeah, Yeah I can hear the replies already- but he looked a completely different player yesterday to the one that I watched intently last week vs. Richmond, and to the player everyone has become accustomed to over 2012-14. His first 2 minutes summed up the difference- a strong pack mark finishing in a goal, and a Boak clearance hitting him nicely on the lead a minute later, which has been my main criticism of him. 5 goals (including a freakish soccer) rounded out a nice day at the office.

Things that went wrong:
• Skill level was disappointing again. For the 3rd week we have overused the handball for mine, leaving us horribly out of position when we turn it over- Adelaide putting us to the sword with multiple goals seemingly un-contested. Sometimes we would put players under immediate pressure, where the Crows were able to capitalise with ferocious tackling. If a tackle didn’t cause the turnover, one too many handballs would trigger a rushed kick to a Crows wall or a hospital handball, where opposition players would pick the crumb and leave us completely out of position to defend the counter. Given this is the crème de la crème of the PAFC game plan, it’s concerning to see us enter round 1 vulnerable in this area.
• A defence minus Jackson Trengove spells all kind of trouble for PAFC. We are a ridiculous stat of something like 2-14 minus Trengove in our 22- absolutely staggering! Carlisle trailed Walker for most of the day, and my observation of our best defence revolves around double teaming of the oppositions best forward, whether it be Carlisle/Trengove and Hombsch, or Carlisle/Trengove and O’Shea. Forcing our intercept player to defend one on one is a vulnerable link in an otherwise solid back 6.

Player Reviews:

TOP 5:

Travis Boak- Enters round 1 at the top of his game, with 2 stellar pre-season performances. Numbers of 34 touches, 4 clearances, 10 tackles and 6 I50’s spell headaches for opposition coaches. Ross Lyon will be scratching his head without Crowley as to who to send to him. In for another huge season if what I have seen this year is anything to go by.

Robbie Gray- In the first minute of the game, a Jacobs tap was beautifully sharked by Gray, where a left foot pass hit Ebert, and Ebert hit Butcher for a mark and goal. At quarter time he had 12 touches and 2 goals, whilst being involved in arguably the play of the day for Port, where a clearance from Westhoff to Wines to Boak, back to Wines to Gray resulted in a goal from 40- an exponent of link up handball at its finest. 29 touches, 7 clearances, 4 I50’s and 2.2. He is quite possibly the only player I have ever seen who has been pinged for a throw twice where he has clearly handballed it, such as his freakish level of skill *check out his between the legs handball last year called for a throw, and again yesterday in the 2nd quarter*

John Butcher- I’ll continue to praise, because I could again be critical in 2 weeks time, but I really enjoyed his game yesterday. He was jumping at the footy, he led really well, and applied good defensive pressure- ticking all the boxes of what I want to see from him. 6 marks (5 I50) for 5 goals is a great reward for effort. Last week I questioned his ability to have any understanding of leading patterns, but I left yesterday questioning myself as to whether quality ball movement is the key to John having a good game vs. a bad game, and his confidence follows the scale. Have we seen the making of John?

Jared Polec- I’ve really enjoyed his pre-season thus far, and he could be on the cusp of a true break out season. 20 touches, 3 clearances, 6 I50’s and 2.2, with Broadbent the only player finishing with a higher D/E for players with over 20 touches. The best exponent in the Power side of the 30 meter kick bar none, which sets up most of our link up run. My call is for Polec to be a fringe A grader by the end of this season.

Brad Ebert- At his hard working best yesterday, often on the end of overlap handball. 24 touches, 4 clearances, 6 tackles, 7 I50s and 1.1 rounds out a solid pre-season. The increased fitness level will hopefully see his skill level improve, whilst seeing him playing a key role in the fortunes of our season. One we can’t afford to go missing for extended periods of a game, or blocks throughout the season.

The rest:

Ollie Wines- Massive numbers (32 touches (18 contested), 8 clearances, 7 tackles and 5 I50s, with a goal. Just a beast around the contest and showed the more experienced players how to tackle in the 2nd quarter, wrapping Walker who is a brute of a man. All that from 68% TOG- wow.

Kane Mitchell- Quite simply won’t impact the competition when you accumulate ball and waste it. Unable to spot up a target when in space and fires out handballs to players under pressure being my 2 biggest criticisms of him. Will be a top tier SANFL player this season, but that’s about it.

Aaron Young- Round 1 lock now. 20 touches, 4 clearances, 7 tackles and 2 goals. I really like his work in stoppage situations, and has the versatility and defence first attitude to impact the side when he goes forward. IMO could play a key role in the absence of Monfries.

Cam O’Shea- Not quite sure where I see Cam at this point. Had a really, really good finals series last year and I thought he was in for a breakout year this season, but his pre-season has left me unfulfilled. 12 touches and 2 R50’s is a quiet stat sheet imo, and went missing when Port were really under the pump in the 3rd quarter- much like our entire back 6 really. Magpies bound for R1.

Matthew Lobbe- The only area where I can see Matty improving is his work around the ground. Broke even with Jacobs in the centre (stat was 33-32 hitouts and 15 centre clearances each), Jacobs hitting the scoreboard giving him the upper hand. The addition of Ryder will be scary for our midfield group.

Kane Cornes- Neither here nor there for Kane. There was no evident tag, and he finished with 20 touches. Involved in some good link up but nothing else apart from that.

Matt White- By far his best game of the NAB series, but still underwhelming for mine. Finished with 18 touches and 6 I50’s, but really need him to be hitting the scorebard, or generating goal assists- neither of which were a feature of his game yesterday.

Jake Neade- Gets in the right spots but is physically bullied whenever he gets his hands on it. Opposition teams are conscious of his goal smarts and really close his space (something our small defenders were lax in doing). 13 touches, 4 tackles is a modest day at the office.

Matthew Broadbent- Have enjoyed Brogs’ 2 games and thought he was prominent in the first half before fading out of the game. 22 touches, 4 R50’s and 2 I50’s, his possession count affected a bit by over-possession in the back half for mine. Good user of the footy so will see more midfield minutes this season.

Jack Hombsch- Precautionary substitution with what appeared to be a corked thigh, but thought he had a reasonable day. 13 touches and 6 marks rotating between Walker and Jenkins- probably our best defender on the day.

Tom Clurey- Sub for the day and didn’t see him until the 3rd quarter. 5 touches and 3 marks from 40% TOG- wasn’t prevalent on the contest as a result.

Jasper Pittard- 15 touches, 3 R50’s- not outstanding numbers. I think our defenders had a tough day at the office, as their mid-sized forwards and small forwards got a hold of us.

Justin Westhoff- Well held yesterday- 14 touches, 4 marks and 3 h/o. Credit to Adelaide, they didn’t allow him the freedom in our defensive half to execute rebound possession.

Tom Jonas- A nothing game from Tom, with just 9 touches and 4 tackles.

Sam Gray- An audition for a spot on the senior list which won’t eventuate. 14 touches at 42% just doesn’t cut the mustard, and with our small defenders getting a decent touch up yesterday- Krakouer’s name is surely locked in for an upgrade, and potentially round 1.

Jay Schulz- Well held by Talia, but got away in the last quarter to kick a couple of goals. 10 touches and 5 marks.

Jarman Impey- Concern for Jarman and our ability to cover the small forwards. Betts gave him a bath yesterday I thought. 4 touches and 5 tackles, whilst Betts finished with 20 touches and 2 goals. Seemed caught in 2 minds whether to contests or mind his opponent, often making the wrong choice. With Walters as lethal a small forward as there is in the game, one has to think we will go with Krakouer in Round 1 who has been brilliant defensively this pre-season.

Alipate Carlisle- See “things that went wrong”. Walker got the better of him both physically and aerobically. 10 touches and 7 1%ers, but Walker’s supergoal saw him turn Bobby inside out- where all Bobby needed to do was corral Walker to the boundary line. To say we need Trengove in the side for R1 is an absolute understatement.

Paul Stewart- 5 touches from 26% TOG as the sub. Unlikely to play in R1 but is in the mix with strong showings in NAB 1&2.

Admittedly i’m a little nervous heading into round 1. We have had a somewhat reserved pre-season, with Ken intent on keeping his poker hand close to his chest. I don’t want to appear to be disrespectful to Adelaide, but I do believe whilst we were well beaten, we took the foot well and truly off the gas after half time, Ken having seen what he wanted to see. That comment could come back to bite me after round 5, but I’ll back the boys in to be a very different side both mentally and visually against Fremantle, with Trengove, Hartlett and Wingard all but certain to line up in Round 1 according to Ken. Bring on the real stuff ladies and gentlemen- 2015 promises to be as closely fought a season in recent memory. Good luck to the teams of all our posters this season (a little less luck for the tingles), and carn the pear!

Valleys.
Last edited by valleys07 on Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Cheers also to the above comments re. my reviews. Its nice to know some posters enjoy reading them and that they are a worthwhile contribution to this site.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 am

Good wrap valleys, as usual, and the comments above are well earned.

I watched most of the kick and giggle at a mates place having a few bevvies prior to heading out for the night, so didn't see all of the match. So from what I saw.

The first half can simply be put down to Adelaide working harder for the ball and working harder when they didn't have it. Much of Adelaides midfield ( without Dangerfield in there much ) simply ran in both directions harder than Port. It looked that way, and it bothered me a little.

I think the second quarter was a bit of experimenting, I think the third quarter, although goalless, was more about getting back on track and the last quarter was probably Port back on track with Adelaide playing around.

From this game I took more away about Adelaide in 2015. Betts will run through the middle more, Dangerfield will play forward more and they appear more desperate with the attack on the body and the ball when they aren't in possession which, in itself, is a black mark against them for the last two seasons. When you've got the ball, you control it when you haven't got the ball the only thing you can control is your intensity in working to get it back. So if Adelaide "up" that side of their game this year fans have every right to not only be optimistic but look back at 2014 and ask, why? Why didn't we play finals?

The biggest concern for me was highlighted by valleys above. We appear almost lost without Trengove in defence. It's a worry as the guy is a rangy customer who appears to be not injury prone, but certainly susceptible to injury. We need to find a balance very quickly when he is out of the side. I'm not sure Westhoff is the answer for blanketing a big man in our D50. With the inevitable inclusion of Ryder to the side it at least gives Ken the flexibility to throw Westhoff or Ryder back to help out Carlile and Jones/Hombsch.

Round 1 seems like it is forever away, but it will be here before we know it.

BRING ON THE REAL STUFF!!
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:15 pm

Ryder, inevitable inclusion?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:44 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Ryder, inevitable inclusion?

regards,

REB

Well at this point it's an unknown. It's inevitable he will come into the side, but until March 31st we don't really know when.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby DOC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:43 pm

If Trengrove were to be injured, say 5 weeks, what is Plan B?
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 743 times
Been liked: 2112 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL