Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby afc9798 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:08 pm

finals fever wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:Chris Minns is pre-season training with Glenelg. Chris was Glenelg junior & u19 Captain in 2007.
He has talent to burn, and as others have said, could have played almost anywhere in local leagues for big $$.
I'm a big fan, and wish him well

Minns will prove to be a good sanfl player if he sticks it out, has speed, skill and sheer talent to burn.
The $hoes seem to be in tatters and falling apart from all angles. if i have heard correctly on who they have appointed Vice Pres, they must be kidding themselves! Players have also been signing elsewhere after no contact when the club expected them to stay on.
Could see the shoes slide in 2014.

Heard also that Porties are dangling big carrots to a few a players from GSFL???

Yes. good luck to him, is an absolute gun and has every weapon to be a major success at Tigers. Would love to see him at the SFL level still, but can't hold back players from trying to be their absolute best.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Oldman Munga » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
finals fever wrote:
85 WAS A GOOD YEAR wrote:Chris Minns is pre-season training with Glenelg. Chris was Glenelg junior & u19 Captain in 2007.
He has talent to burn, and as others have said, could have played almost anywhere in local leagues for big $$.

Minns will prove to be a good sanfl player if he sticks it out, has speed, skill and sheer talent to burn.
The $hoes seem to be in tatters and falling apart from all angles. if i have heard correctly on who they have appointed Vice Pres, they must be kidding themselves! Players have also been signing elsewhere after no contact when the club expected them to stay on.

Heard also that Porties are dangling big carrots to a few a players from GSFL???

Who has been appointed Vice Pres?

So Finals Fever has an axe to grind with my appointment as VP at Noarlunga FC , arent we lucky his/her opinion isnt valued by me at all otherwise I could get a tad upset at a faceless keyboard warrior , Members,Players and Supporters will judge my performance as VP in 2014
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby afc9798 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
finals fever wrote:

Who has been appointed Vice Pres?

So Finals Fever has an axe to grind with my appointment as VP at Noarlunga FC , arent we lucky his/her opinion isnt valued by me at all otherwise I could get a tad upset at a faceless keyboard warrior , Members,Players and Supporters will judge my performance as VP in 2014

I'm sure you've been around long enough to know that everyone has an axe to grind with someone somewhere. As you correctly stated, your supporters, members, executive and playing group are the only ones who count. Hard enough to please them without worrying about outside opinions. Good luck next year and good on you for putting your hand up when many don't any more.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Bloods4Life » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:55 pm

Was walking the dog down Christie ave yesterday and noticed a one Matthew stringer walking in the doors shaking hands with Paul crate. Interesting.......
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Yank Man » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:52 am

Bloods4Life wrote:Was walking the dog down Christie ave yesterday and noticed a one Matthew stringer walking in the doors shaking hands with Paul crate. Interesting.......

What as you were walking out? :D
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby shoe boy » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:29 am

Well talk about going out swinging! Peter slops Hislop gave what some would call one of the greatest or not so great speeches of all time during his application for position of director for the league.

Personally I feel it was refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and with the passion that he did so should make others that are elected to represent this league take note and not just bob their heads.

Congratulations to Tony Nichols/Mark McKay/and new to the board Katrine Hildyard good luck and just for the record Slops was defeated in a secret ballot. PS I wonder if any of the board voted for Slops????

Also programme is out with season starting 29/March catch up round *Hackham v Aldinga/Lonsdale v Marion

5 April Aldinga v Porties
Valley v Lonsdale
Marion v Cove
Brighton v MPark
Christies v MVale
Reynella V Flaggies
Noarlunga V Hackham
Towns Bye
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:55 am

Slops wasn't too many votes from making the Top 3. I dare say if only the votes from the 15 clubs were counted he would have won re-election. That aside, Mark McKay is a major asset to the SFL and the clubs and his re-election is welcomed. And knowing a bit about Katrine, she will bring much needed energy to the Board. Is she the first elected female Board member of the SFL? Thats not counting Jan Bache who was a designated Board member due to being Secretary/Manager of the SFL.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 287 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Look Good In Leather » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 am

shoe boy wrote:Congratulations to Tony Nichols/Mark McKay/and new to the board Katrine Hildyard good luck and just for the record Slops was defeated in a secret ballot. PS I wonder if any of the board voted for Slops????

I think 11 last preference votes out of a possible 21, 6 votes come from the board, so maybe only 5 clubs saw him as the least desirable candidate.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby afc9798 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:59 am

shoe boy wrote:Well talk about going out swinging! Peter slops Hislop gave what some would call one of the greatest or not so great speeches of all time during his application for position of director for the league.

Personally I feel it was refreshing to hear someone speak their mind and with the passion that he did so should make others that are elected to represent this league take note and not just bob their heads.

Congratulations to Tony Nichols/Mark McKay/and new to the board Katrine Hildyard good luck and just for the record Slops was defeated in a secret ballot. PS I wonder if any of the board voted for Slops????

Also programme is out with season starting 29/March catch up round *Hackham v Aldinga/Lonsdale v Marion

5 April Aldinga v Porties
Valley v Lonsdale
Marion v Cove
Brighton v MPark
Christies v MVale
Reynella V Flaggies
Noarlunga V Hackham
Towns Bye

Surely the SFL could have done better than this for a first round fixture to set the season up. Looks to be one competitive game in that whole round.
Nothing like starting off with a whimper to whet the appetite for future games. I know fixturing is tough, but this is disappointing.
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:40 am

Come on AFC, I think Valley and Lonsdale won't be the only competitive game. :D

You have to realise that our current situation of 15 teams and 18 games means that the SFL and clubs have accepted a seeded draw based on where clubs finished the previous season. If you ever see the XL spreadsheet that the clubs are provided with, the whole draw is based on a numbered system. If you try and tinker with the fixture to create a blockbuster season opening then the whole draw may become compromised. If we were 10 teams and played each other twice then alot easier to arrange but that's another argument for another day.

That aside I think you are selling some clubs short. I have concerns for Aldinga but I think the Bright v MP, Rey v FH, CB v MV & Noar v Hack could all be very competitive and who knows what Cove and Marion will be assembling next year with new coaches.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby afc9798 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Come on AFC, I think Valley and Lonsdale won't be the only competitive game. :D

You have to realise that our current situation of 15 teams and 18 games means that the SFL and clubs have accepted a seeded draw based on where clubs finished the previous season. If you ever see the XL spreadsheet that the clubs are provided with, the whole draw is based on a numbered system. If you try and tinker with the fixture to create a blockbuster season opening then the whole draw may become compromised. If we were 10 teams and played each other twice then alot easier to arrange but that's another argument for another day.

That aside I think you are selling some clubs short. I have concerns for Aldinga but I think the Bright v MP, Rey v FH, CB v MV & Noar v Hack could all be very competitive and who knows what Cove and Marion will be assembling next year with new coaches.

Yep, I understand the difficulties, but there is not one game in there that would be considered a marquee game. I agree there are some potentially reasonable match ups there, but would have loved to see at least one 'big game'. As a club, getting Lonsdale to kick of your season at home, is not exactly the start you look for to excite the faithful. No offence to the Lions, but who other than the usual suspects will turn up to watch that game?
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Dazza44 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:56 am

afc9798 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Come on AFC, I think Valley and Lonsdale won't be the only competitive game. :D

Yep, I understand the difficulties, but there is not one game in there that would be considered a marquee game. I agree there are some potentially reasonable match ups there, but would have loved to see at least one 'big game'. As a club, getting Lonsdale to kick of your season at home, is not exactly the start you look for to excite the faithful. No offence to the Lions, but who other than the usual suspects will turn up to watch that game?

Maybe not a marquee game, but Bombers V Morphy Parks could go close - but of course HV not involved in that one, eh ? Generally a good round I would have thought - seems Happy Valley were the one that missed out, hence your vocal opposition I suspect !
Dazza44
Rookie

Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby King » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:21 am

Unable to locate the 2014 draw on the SFL website. Is it there? If not, can anyone let me know where to get a copy?
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:49 pm

You may have to wait a while King. Clubs got a hardcopy at the AGM on Monday but it is still technically a draft. One error was picked up already with Edwardstown having 8 home games and Hackham 10. That probably only requires switching the current Hackham v Townies to Townies rather than being played at Hackham. But the Emu's and Wineys also not happy about being drawn to play the last minor round game because they always play on a Sunday and feel as though this could hamper finals prep for both clubs. So they may request to switch the current Round 19 with Round 20. Problem is that will remove some teams from playing Home in their last game to playing Away and it is always nice finishing the Minor Round at Home so some clubs may be opposed to this. MV and Reynella are at least happy to get 2 games against each other in 2014. I just hope no-one from either MV or Rey is one of those people who reckons Essendon and Collinwood shouldn't have a mortagage on Anzac Day because they would be hypocrites if they did. Quite ironic that both clubs wear the same jumpers as the AFL Anzac clubs.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby afc9798 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:57 pm

Dazza44 wrote:
afc9798 wrote:

Maybe not a marquee game, but Bombers V Morphy Parks could go close - but of course HV not involved in that one, eh ? Generally a good round I would have thought - seems Happy Valley were the one that missed out, hence your vocal opposition I suspect !

Vocal opposition? Just stated that it wasn't an ideal start that's all. I assumed I was entitled to an opinion, but thanks for correcting me. I assume you don't have a problem as you get to play the reigning premier and potentially generate some interest I suspect!
afc9798
Reserves

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:55 pm

Down the Hill wrote:You may have to wait a while King. Clubs got a hardcopy at the AGM on Monday but it is still technically a draft. One error was picked up already with Edwardstown having 8 home games and Hackham 10. That probably only requires switching the current Hackham v Townies to Townies rather than being played at Hackham. But the Emu's and Wineys also not happy about being drawn to play the last minor round game because they always play on a Sunday and feel as though this could hamper finals prep for both clubs. So they may request to switch the current Round 19 with Round 20. Problem is that will remove some teams from playing Home in their last game to playing Away and it is always nice finishing the Minor Round at Home so some clubs may be opposed to this. MV and Reynella are at least happy to get 2 games against each other in 2014. I just hope no-one from either MV or Rey is one of those people who reckons Essendon and Collinwood shouldn't have a mortagage on Anzac Day because they would be hypocrites if they did. Quite ironic that both clubs wear the same jumpers as the AFL Anzac clubs.

No good swapping Round 19 & Round 20, Christies Beach & Port Noarlunga play theirs on Sundays too and they started the concept
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:27 pm

This could be fun then. This happened to MV and Reynella as recent as 2012 and they complained then without being able to get it changed but it didn't matter because one didn't make finals and the other scraped into 8th and played its first final on a Sunday anyway. Maybe the karma bus suggests they should just accept it and worry about putting themsleves in a postion that will ensure they only get a 6 day break going into week 1 of the finals.

The silly thing is that if you finish 2nd and win both finals you only get a 6 day break going into the GF. Yet if the 4th team wins both finals they get a 7 day break going into GF. This is exactly what happened with Reynella and Morphy Park this year but it didn't stop Reynella accounting for Morphy Park quite easily in the GF so I don't know what the fuss is in playing the last minor round game on a Sunday if they want to stick to "tradition". Otherwise play it on a Saturday and even though the crowd may not be quite as big, surely more people staying longer at the bar that night will balance that somewhat.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Down the Hill wrote:This could be fun then. This happened to MV and Reynella as recent as 2012 and they complained then without being able to get it changed but it didn't matter because one didn't make finals and the other scraped into 8th and played its first final on a Sunday anyway. Maybe the karma bus suggests they should just accept it and worry about putting themsleves in a postion that will ensure they only get a 6 day break going into week 1 of the finals.

The silly thing is that if you finish 2nd and win both finals you only get a 6 day break going into the GF. Yet if the 4th team wins both finals they get a 7 day break going into GF. This is exactly what happened with Reynella and Morphy Park this year but it didn't stop Reynella accounting for Morphy Park quite easily in the GF so I don't know what the fuss is in playing the last minor round game on a Sunday if they want to stick to "tradition". Otherwise play it on a Saturday and even though the crowd may not be quite as big, surely more people staying longer at the bar that night will balance that somewhat.

DTH, I wouldn't expect you to understand the concept of drawing a large crowd.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby cracka » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Down the Hill wrote:This could be fun then. This happened to MV and Reynella as recent as 2012 and they complained then without being able to get it changed but it didn't matter because one didn't make finals and the other scraped into 8th and played its first final on a Sunday anyway. Maybe the karma bus suggests they should just accept it and worry about putting themsleves in a postion that will ensure they only get a 6 day break going into week 1 of the finals.

I don't think a 6 or 7 day break matters that much in amateur football.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 569 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:17 pm

cracka wrote:

I don't think a 6 or 7 day break matters that much in amateur football.

Amateur?

We are talking about A-Grade football, not Reserves
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL