Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Bloods4Life wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Yank Man wrote:
marbles wrote:the nights I walked the town with each of my premiership medals around my neck have probably been the best nights of my life, were'nt yours?

No, mine was standing in the middle of the moreland ave oval with all my premiership players singing the club song, I'll never forget it. NEVER EVER FORGET IT. Premierships build culture, like it or not. :lol: Couldn't imagine knowing 8-16 was the best my club could ever be. :(

As opposed to 61-70 in Division 7?

Obviously the amatuer league has too many teams to put in one div so of course it has to be spread out into ten team divs. Whether it be div 2 or div 6 it's just a number. It's only a couple of quality players that separates one div to the next. On any given year depending on recruits/departures the top team in div 5/6 would definately challenge if not beat the bottom teams in div 2. I remember a trial game at the start of the year a particular div 6 team (who didn't make the finals might I add) took it up to Christies beach and lead all day up until halfway through the last quarter until they got run over. No system is perfect and I'm a fan of the all day football on Saturdays that the SFL have. But don't bag the teams in the SAAFL or the league itself just because one poster comes on here and tries to stir the pot.

I like you... Unfortunately Kenilworth wouldn't get within 10 goals of Walkerville. I'm very happy to be proven wrong but....

SFL top 8 is a solid comp imo. Still not as good as GSFL and Hills which as I mentioned back even back around 2000 the SFL along with Western Border were the best comps out side Ammos div 1
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Bloods4Life » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:44 pm

I like you... Unfortunately Kenilworth wouldn't get within 10 goals of Walkerville. I'm very happy to be proven wrong but....

SFL top 8 is a solid comp imo. Still not as good as GSFL and Hills which as I mentioned back even back around 2000 the SFL along with Western Border were the best comps out side Ammos div 1[/quote]

I said bottom sides, which were modbury and kilburn who only won a few games each, walkerville won 7 games and were a very competitive outfit. And with the players that each kenilworth and woodville south boasted, I would've backed them to beat both those sides this year.
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:03 pm

Enter The Big Shrek ;)
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Numbers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Bloods4Life wrote:
Numbers wrote:
marbles wrote:a soulless premiership they claim :shock: wtf

Delusions of grandeur marbles. I know the SAAFL model is perfect and we should all be queueiing up, but something keeps us going back to the SFL. Could be just that playing within a spirited comp beats soulless premierships in Division 324?

1174995_536293516444388_686073407_n.jpg

Looks like they celebrating the chance to play for a real premiership next year!

Good luck to them, if it doesn't work out they can go back & win another chance!

What a stupid, uneducated and naive post. That side would easily account for 10 of the 15 SFL sides and challenge if not beat the others.

Please explain how it is either stupid, uneducated or naive? Or in fact even incorrect in anyway?

By your own admission they would have finished 5-8 (maybe slightly higher) in the SFL & would not be celebrating like that. There are 7 sides in the SAAFL that would celebrate like that every year & 6 of them know they weren't the best in the league.
Numbers
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Bloods4Life » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:22 pm

What a stupid, uneducated and naive post. That side would easily account for 10 of the 15 SFL sides and challenge if not beat the others.[/quote]

Please explain how it is either stupid, uneducated or naive? Or in fact even incorrect in anyway?

By your own admission they would have finished 5-8 (maybe slightly higher) in the SFL & would not be celebrating like that. There are 7 sides in the SAAFL that would celebrate like that every year & 6 of them know they weren't the best in the league.[/quote]

Because not every club is positioned player wise or financially to compete with clubs that are hence why they're put in divisions that are more suitable to them. That's where it's uneducated and naive. An incorrect because that premiership is as genuine and real as any other to the players, members, supporters, life members and sponsors. What's div is the SFL? Div 1?? No it's a country like league that has its good teams and also it's strugglers, which there is probably a heap of leagues similar Australia wide, and I've never knocked the SFL. But don't come on here pal and talk down other clubs premierships or the div they're in. Who the hell are you to knock em. What are they suppose to do, just roll over and fold just cause you say they should?? Very uneducated!
Bloods4Life
Rookie

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Numbers » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Bloods4Life wrote:What a stupid, uneducated and naive post. That side would easily account for 10 of the 15 SFL sides and challenge if not beat the others.

By your own admission they would have finished 5-8 (maybe slightly higher) in the SFL & would not be celebrating like that. There are 7 sides in the SAAFL that would celebrate like that every year & 6 of them know they weren't the best in the league.[/quote]

Because not every club is positioned player wise or financially to compete with clubs that are hence why they're put in divisions that are more suitable to them. That's where it's uneducated and naive. An incorrect because that premiership is as genuine and real as any other to the players, members, supporters, life members and sponsors. What's div is the SFL? Div 1?? No it's a country like league that has its good teams and also it's strugglers, which there is probably a heap of leagues similar Australia wide, and I've never knocked the SFL. But don't come on here pal and talk down other clubs premierships or the div they're in. Who the hell are you to knock em. What are they suppose to do, just roll over and fold just cause you say they should?? Very uneducated!
[/quote]

I have obviously touched a nerve, but what does finance have to do with being competitive? Not every side has to pay more to be competitive.

I am not having a crack at any individual side, just the concept of playing in a lower division premiership & thinking it is the same as the top division. This really has nothing to do with SFL as the concept of the league is different.

Marbles was suggesting that playing in a lower division just so the struggling clubs in SFL could be "successful" would be rewarding. I don't think it would be rewarding.

I don't think that if Goodwood finds itself in Div 2 at some stage that a premiership at that level would come close to matching their recent success!
Numbers
Rookie

Been liked: 3 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:36 am

Numbers wrote: I don't think that if Goodwood finds itself in Div 2 at some stage that a premiership at that level would come close to matching their recent success!

We all understand this, you aim to be the best in your league.

I don't think you will convince our friend marbles:

marbles wrote:I doubt anyone there is caring that it wasnt the Div 1 flag :shock: their club achieved the ultimate success

Ultimate success?? No, a step on the way to getting to the top division so that you can then achieve that ultimate success.

Or in our league's case, the improvement required to achieve that ultimate success.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby marbles » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:27 am

in 10 years that sfl flag will be ours! ya doing well great work

in 2014 we'll concentrate on handballing, the next year marking, then 2016 we'll teach ya tackling!!! mm yeah love you sfl, my next 200 games with christies will certainly be very fulfilling
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 277 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:28 pm

Yep folks some village has lost its idiot :D
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 440 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:40 pm

tigerpie wrote:Yep folks some village has lost its idiot :D

I think this one is doing the work of a few villages.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby am Bays » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:01 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Nah, you can keep him :lol:

Ever heard the saying that starts "Don't argue with an idiot..." 8)

Phaarrkk

This thread is gold.

FC can you teach some of these muppets how to use the quote function???
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:07 pm

am Bays wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Phaarrkk

This thread is gold.

It adds to the hilarity IMO :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:45 am

am Bays wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Phaarrkk

This thread is gold.

If the Bay's don't fold, maybe Div 7 is an option for them?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby tigerpie » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:24 am

Oh oh its contagious!
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 512 times
Been liked: 440 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:59 am

If the Bay's don't fold, maybe Div 7 is an option for them?[/quote]

Merging with Morphy Parks and becoming the tiger-Roos
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 am

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:If the Bay's don't fold, maybe Div 7 is an option for them?

Or perhaps the "Twisted Tigers"
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby afc9798 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:25 am

marbles wrote:in 10 years that sfl flag will be ours! ya doing well great work

in 2014 we'll concentrate on handballing, the next year marking, then 2016 we'll teach ya tackling!!! mm yeah love you sfl, my next 200 games with christies will certainly be very fulfilling

Probably doesn't warrant a response as you're clearly trolling for a response, however, you clearly haven't noticed the significant improvement of a number of clubs this year in the SFL. Edwardstown, Christies and Hackham all had significant improvement over the prior year. Christies were very competitive and matched it with a number of the top teams for sustained periods, EDwardstown were 3 kicks away from a prelim and hackham had a few wins, beating Flagstaff Hill along the way.

If you want to comment, you should actually get a clue about what is happening in the league instead of preaching a model that is according to many in the SAAFL, a broken model itself.
SFL is far from perfect, but most of us here support the league in its current form whilst hoping for some changes that will improve it, ratyher than radically change the whole concept.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby HH3 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:12 am

afc9798 wrote:

Probably doesn't warrant a response as you're clearly trolling for a response, however, you clearly haven't noticed the significant improvement of a number of clubs this year in the SFL. Edwardstown, Christies and Hackham all had significant improvement over the prior year. Christies were very competitive and matched it with a number of the top teams for sustained periods, EDwardstown were 3 kicks away from a prelim and hackham had a few wins, beating Flagstaff Hill along the way.

If you want to comment, you should actually get a clue about what is happening in the league instead of preaching a model that is according to many in the SAAFL, a broken model itself.
SFL is far from perfect, but most of us here support the league in its current form whilst hoping for some changes that will improve it, ratyher than radically change the whole concept.

Ive played in both, and believe me, playing for North Haven A Grade in Div 5 is much more rewarding than playing in the As at Hackham and getting pumped by almost 60 goals one long arvo at Brighton Oval.

This isn't a knock on Hackham, because they're awesome people there, doing a ridiculously hard job.

There's a reason most SAAFL divisions are so competitive, and that's the promotion/relegation system. In the 3 seasons Ive been back at the Haviery, the teams competing in finals havent been decided until the final regular season game.

Just because its Div 5, doesn't mean we don't or shouldn't appreciate our successes.

This whole arguments like saying Div 1 teams shouldnt consider their premierships successes because they didnt do it in the SANFL. And SANFL Premiers shouldnt consider it a success because they didnt do it in the AFL.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:20 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:If the Bay's don't fold, maybe Div 7 is an option for them?

Or perhaps the "Twisted Tigers"

=D>

Instead of being the roo boys they could be the roo bays
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:00 pm

Gen Y

Why work hard for something special when you can take the easy option.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL