New Clubs for 2017

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: New Clubs for 2017

Postby Footy Chick » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:48 pm

I know nothing about SFL and wont pretend to - but these clubs coming in - how do you think their playing stocks be effected? positively or negatively by the change of league?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Re: 2016 C9AFL Div 7

Postby morell » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:18 pm

oyster wrote:
jo172 wrote:This is essentially exactly what people were saying about Edwardstown inD4 9 months ago.

SFL. Meh

Agreed Jo172.
I've seen a fair amount of country footy over the last 3-4 years and the SFL is miles off the SAAFL.
Strange thing to say considering the SAAFL is 7 divisions deep with a very wide variety of standards therein.

As has been discussed ad infinitum

Bottom couple of the SFL would be D7/D6, next couple D6/D5, next couple D5, most would be about D4, top few D3 maybe D2.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Footy Chick wrote:I know nothing about SFL and wont pretend to - but these clubs coming in - how do you think their playing stocks be effected? positively or negatively by the change of league?

Thats a good question, these players are used to playing at grounds within a max 20 min drive from their home ground, will they be happy driving an hour+ nearly every 2nd week to get out North? or do they go play somewhere else in the SFL?

I doubt this would affect Brighton as their seniors have very much come from their junior ranks, but Marion, MP & Hackham all have minimal junior set ups so rely on recruiting and $'s.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:25 pm

morell wrote:
Bottom couple of the SFL would be D7/D6, next couple D6/D5, next couple D5, most would be about D4, top few D3 maybe D2.

Would agree with most of that, the top 6 this year are really tight and when they play each other they are quality games of D2/3 standard.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:28 pm

Hey Oyster I haven't seen either in the last 12 months but I'd have Western Border better than Yorkes , North Eastern ect....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby heater31 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:29 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:I know nothing about SFL and wont pretend to - but these clubs coming in - how do you think their playing stocks be effected? positively or negatively by the change of league?

Thats a good question, these players are used to playing at grounds within a max 20 min drive from their home ground, will they be happy driving an hour+ nearly every 2nd week to get out North? or do they go play somewhere else in the SFL?

I doubt this would affect Brighton as their seniors have very much come from their junior ranks, but Marion, MP & Hackham all have minimal junior set ups so rely on recruiting and $'s.

What about Brighton's Thirds? They play on a Sunday. Will have to switch to a Saturday morning possibly or maybe travel more than the A grade.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby oyster » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:43 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Hey Oyster I haven't seen either in the last 12 months but I'd have Western Border better than Yorkes , North Eastern ect....

Haven't seen a Western Border game for 15 years. It was of the absolute highest standard some 15 years ago and a super competition. The loss of jobs in the South East has diluted the competition, as the good kids generally have moved to the city so I am told, which is a shame.

I think you'll find that the fact the Barossa, Great Southern and Hills div 1 are the best competitions outside of the SAAFL div 1, is because of the close proximity to the city. Limited driving for players and also they know they can pick up the big $$$$$$$ without having to travel far. They can't get the same coin in the city, so they drive for 30-40 minutes and can pick up top coin.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Dutchy » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:46 pm

heater31 wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

What about Brighton's Thirds? They play on a Sunday. Will have to switch to a Saturday morning possibly or maybe travel more than the A grade.

Yeah that will be one of the main issues they face, they have always had a strong C grade most that play in that comp can't play Saturdays.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby knowitall » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Surely the first people they asked in their clubs have been the players.
knowitall

Been liked: 1 time

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Fair enough Oyster. Played magoo's in Sunraysia for a short spurt and seen a match 2 year ago again which is a bit closer to town than Mt.Gambier. That's as good as any comp I've seen in SA as I've mentioned a few times before. You would have to also say Western Border has dropped slightly because of the league split?
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:44 pm

oyster wrote:
jo172 wrote:This is essentially exactly what people were saying about Edwardstown inD4 9 months ago.

SFL. Meh

Agreed Jo172.
I've seen a fair amount of country footy over the last 3-4 years and the SFL is miles off the SAAFL.
The Barossa league is clearly the strongest country league in the state by a fair way, followed by the Great Southern and Adelaide Hills (not much separates the standard of these two leagues) and then the SFL a very distant 4th, 5th or 6th. The North Eastern FL, SFL and Yorke Peninsula would be all on a par. Not much separates those 3 leagues. Mallee, River Murray and Riverland after that.
That a pretty fair assessment of the country leagues. The SFL is very, very average other than 2 or 3 sides.

Didn't Reynella win some country championship at the start of the year????
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby oyster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:17 pm

hollywood7477 wrote:
oyster wrote:

SFL. Meh

Agreed Jo172.
The Barossa league is clearly the strongest country league in the state by a fair way, followed by the Great Southern and Adelaide Hills (not much separates the standard of these two leagues) and then the SFL a very distant 4th, 5th or 6th. The North Eastern FL, SFL and Yorke Peninsula would be all on a par. Not much separates those 3 leagues. Mallee, River Murray and Riverland after that.
That a pretty fair assessment of the country leagues. The SFL is very, very average other than 2 or 3 sides.

Didn't Reynella win some country championship at the start of the year????

Hardly a guide to who is the best side was it? I was there and it wasn't flash was it?. The games were played as a Lightning Carnival. Shortened games of two halves, played in very early March before even trial matches were being played. Most of the sides who played in that carnival, had only about half of their normal side who regularly played. Guys were either playing summer sports or couldn't be bothered at that point of the year. Good for the kids to have a kick around though. A poor example to try and say the SFL is a terrific comp
oyster
Rookie

Postby heater31 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Not only that it is only one side.....the one that won the flag.

From 5th spot on the ladder it really drops off usually in the SFL.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby godra » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:28 pm

If the talk is true, my thoughts on where clubs could fall in. This is based on seeing various SFL and SAAFL games this season.

Brighton - Div 2. Far too strong for Div 3. Premiership contender in the SFL who have beaten Flaggies this year and come close to Reynella (who did win the Country Club Championship earlier this year as another poster correctly pointed out) earlier this year, with another blockbuster rematch later this month. I could see Brighton vs SHOC/Gaza being very close games. That is on the proviso Brighton keeps their players if a change in league happens.

Morphie Parks - Personally I liken them to the strength of Edwardstown when they were in the SFL, hence would suggest Div 4. I would imagine they would win more than they lose in Div 4. But I could see others arguing for Div 5 which wouldn't be a wrong answer either. Morphie Parks have been pushed by lesser teams this year but seem to come up with a win at the end of the day.

Hackham/Marion - I feel these teams are at the same level and I would happily suggest Div 6 is appropriate for both of these teams. But if required, I don't think any team could argue acceptance into Div 7 to kick things off. Hackham face the problem of a more than long drive to many grounds which would seriously jeopardise numbers willing to play and travel that far.

I am not proclaiming to be a suburban football expert, this is just my opinion on the state of affairs based on what I have seen different sides offer at various levels of football this year. The SFL would miss Brighton if they do depart, one of the strongest clubs in the league. I can't see the SFL missing Morphie Parks, Hackham or Marion too much if they do leave however.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Fricky » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:42 pm

knowitall wrote:

Surely the first people they asked in their clubs have been the players.

As posted in the SFL forum, Brighton are taking it to a vote and need 50%+ saying yes from both seniors and juniors in order to make the move. As mentioned, their juniors will move from Saturday to Sunday and their C grade will move the other way which may put some people off moving to the Ch9AFL.

As for player retention, they'll lose some and gain some if they make the move, probably balance out in the end.

Para Hills are coming back into Div 7 next season aren't they? That would make it a 10 team comp, providing no other sides drop out. It'll be interesting to see how the League fit the new clubs in and if clubs are forced to stay in or go down a division they weren't meant to.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:40 pm

godra wrote:If the talk is true, my thoughts on where clubs could fall in. This is based on seeing various SFL and SAAFL games this season.

Brighton - Div 2. Far too strong for Div 3. Premiership contender in the SFL who have beaten Flaggies this year and come close to Reynella (who did win the Country Club Championship earlier this year as another poster correctly pointed out) earlier this year, with another blockbuster rematch later this month. I could see Brighton vs SHOC/Gaza being very close games. That is on the proviso Brighton keeps their players if a change in league happens.

Morphie Parks - Personally I liken them to the strength of Edwardstown when they were in the SFL, hence would suggest Div 4. I would imagine they would win more than they lose in Div 4. But I could see others arguing for Div 5 which wouldn't be a wrong answer either. Morphie Parks have been pushed by lesser teams this year but seem to come up with a win at the end of the day.

Hackham/Marion - I feel these teams are at the same level and I would happily suggest Div 6 is appropriate for both of these teams. But if required, I don't think any team could argue acceptance into Div 7 to kick things off. Hackham face the problem of a more than long drive to many grounds which would seriously jeopardise numbers willing to play and travel that far.

I am not proclaiming to be a suburban football expert, this is just my opinion on the state of affairs based on what I have seen different sides offer at various levels of football this year. The SFL would miss Brighton if they do depart, one of the strongest clubs in the league. I can't see the SFL missing Morphie Parks, Hackham or Marion too much if they do leave however.

Pretty accurate I reckon, I know it was only a trial game but it was the last trial of the pre-season and both teams were full strength when Flaggies belted Plympton this year by 20 goals and Plympton are mid table in Div 3. Brighton should be straight to Div 2, especially as they get some Glenelg overflow.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:01 pm

Dutchy wrote:
godra wrote:If the talk is true, my thoughts on where clubs could fall in. This is based on seeing various SFL and SAAFL games this season.

Pretty accurate I reckon, I know it was only a trial game but it was the last trial of the pre-season and both teams were full strength when Flaggies belted Plympton this year by 20 goals and Plympton are mid table in Div 3. Brighton should be straight to Div 2, especially as they get some Glenelg overflow.

Reynella played Broadies in a trial match. what was the result in that game????
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:01 pm

The top 4 sfl clubs would be comfortable in div 2 and one of them would possibly win the flag.
Unless you've been to an sfl grand final you can't judge the standard.
Pretty sure southern districts has won the country championship recently which is a combination of great southern and southern players.

Just saying.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

Postby oyster » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:31 pm

tigerpie wrote:The top 4 sfl clubs would be comfortable in div 2 and one of them would possibly win the flag.
Pretty sure southern districts has won the country championship recently which is a combination of great southern and southern players.

Just saying.

We've now established that the top 4 in the SFL are somewhere between the middle of Div 2 and the middle of Div 3, depending on how people see the games. Now we have established that, we have to work out how these clubs are going to enter the SAAFL? There would have to be a vacancy for Brighton or any SFL club to come into division 3. The league themselves might welcome Brighton with open arms, but the clubs ultimately are in charge of the league and they won't give up a spot in a higher grade if they think they've earn't it.

There is no way, that Brighton will walk into D2 or D3. The only vacant space is in D4 and that might change if both clubs in D5 decide they don't want to come up. They cant have a 12 team competition or there would be 22 games in the season. The SAAFL clubs won't just allow these SFL clubs to walk into the competition and play in the grade they want, at their clubs expense. Especially when Brighton have come and gone from the SAAFL before. There will be an enormous amount of disharmony amongst SAAFL clubs if Brighton are allowed back into D3
oyster
Rookie

Postby tigerpie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:18 pm

oyster wrote:
tigerpie wrote:The top 4 sfl clubs would be comfortable in div 2 and one of them would possibly win the flag.

Just saying.

We've now established that the top 4 in the SFL are somewhere between the middle of Div 2 and the middle of Div 3, depending on how people see the games. Now we have established that, we have to work out how these clubs are going to enter the SAAFL? There would have to be a vacancy for Brighton or any SFL club to come into division 3. The league themselves might welcome Brighton with open arms, but the clubs ultimately are in charge of the league and they won't give up a spot in a higher grade if they think they've earn't it.

There is no way, that Brighton will walk into D2 or D3. The only vacant space is in D4 and that might change if both clubs in D5 decide they don't want to come up. They cant have a 12 team competition or there would be 22 games in the season. The SAAFL clubs won't just allow these SFL clubs to walk into the competition and play in the grade they want, at their clubs expense. Especially when Brighton have come and gone from the SAAFL before. There will be an enormous amount of disharmony amongst SAAFL clubs if Brighton are allowed back into D3

I agree! For the fairness of saafl they should start in div 4, just like towns.
If that's what they are offered I think they are nuts to enter.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 505 times
Been liked: 432 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League