Things that give you the sh1ts

Anything!

Re: Things that give you the sh1ts

Postby RustyCage » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Parents who send their kids to school when they are very obviously too sick to go. No excuse for it
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby saintal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:12 pm

RustyCage wrote:Parents who send their kids to school when they are very obviously too sick to go. No excuse for it

Not what you want on your first day back at work. Ditto for people who come to work and cough their guts up all day, sniff and sneeze and are generally just a pain in the arse to be around.

Also people who follow an overseas sports team (i.e. Liverpool, Chicago Bulls) but couldn't name you a player in Australia's equivalent league. (A-League, NBL etc)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:17 am

saintal wrote:
RustyCage wrote:Parents who send their kids to school when they are very obviously too sick to go. No excuse for it

Not what you want on your first day back at work. Ditto for people who come to work and cough their guts up all day, sniff and sneeze and are generally just a pain in the arse to be around.

Also people who follow an overseas sports team (i.e. Liverpool, Chicago Bulls) but couldn't name you a player in Australia's equivalent league. (A-League, NBL etc)

I follow the English Football Leagues and I very very very secondly have an interest in the A-League, my dad is English grew up in a house 50m from my teams ground, I had no choice. I do support Melbourne Victory but don't have an passion or history with the club

I have also been to more New York Knicks games than 36ers game as I don't find the much lower standard of the Nbl interesting
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:42 am

whufc wrote:
saintal wrote:

I follow the English Football Leagues and I very very very secondly have an interest in the A-League, my dad is English grew up in a house 50m from my teams ground, I had no choice. I do support Melbourne Victory but don't have an passion or history with the club

I have also been to more New York Knicks games than 36ers game as I don't find the much lower standard of the Nbl interesting

I see no issue with this
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:14 am

I can understand your frustration at it but I see the other side of the fence too.

Although I'm fortunate to be able to work from home if I'm in the same predicament I've seen cases where women go to work crying because they feel bad as their kid wasn't 100% in the morning, with the high unemployment rate at the moment I guess a lot of people are worried about their job from taking sickies every time their child has the sniffles.

On the flip side, they probably see it as though it looks better if the school rings them to come and collect their child opposed to just calling in sick, it's probably the most used false sickie line.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:42 am

whufc wrote:
saintal wrote:

This gives me the sh!ts with people who say they follow footy but outside of the AFL they have no idea. One of the reasons I don't follow the AFL closely and fell off the Crows 20+ years ago.

On the other hand, I follow the NFL, but wouldn't have a clue about the set-up of the game in Australia, although perhaps a better comparison is in line with what I wrote above, I do feel a bit of a hypocrite by not taking an interest in College football.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:17 pm

you only have so much time in the day - i think it is too much to ask for someone to follow every single club from their local team all the way through to the AFL. Most of us have a passing interest in at least a couple of those levels but one will always be the one you care about the most. If that is SANFL then so be it, but that doesnt mean you arent a football fan if you follow the SANFL less than others. The same argument works in reverse too
bennymacca
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 pm

Yeah, good point re time, and also these days more sports are more accessible (at least on telly).
Different people having a different affinity to teams at different levels doesn't make them any less of a fan, but the thrust of the original posts was where the top level is their only interest. For me, perhaps this attitude is a hangover from growing up in the '80's with the SANFL ,and not being able to drop it overnight like many were able to, whereas now we're a good generation on who have only grown up with top-flight, professional sports.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:51 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Yeah, good point re time, and also these days more sports are more accessible (at least on telly).
Different people having a different affinity to teams at different levels doesn't make them any less of a fan, but the thrust of the original posts was where the top level is their only interest. For me, perhaps this attitude is a hangover from growing up in the '80's with the SANFL ,and not being able to drop it overnight like many were able to, whereas now we're a good generation on who have only grown up with top-flight, professional sports.

Yep - I was 5 when the crows came in so it was the perfect time for me to follow them. Follow centrals too but that has always been secondary and in the past few years I have barely followed them, unlike when I was a kid when I knew every player
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:09 pm

The state premiers have agreed to start charging GST on overseas online purchases under $1000.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/gs ... 7453514682
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:19 pm

tbh although it will cost me more I dont really have an issue with this. It was always just a matter of being able to do it cost effectively as to why they didnt do it in the first place
bennymacca
Coach

Postby tipper » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:10 am

bennymacca wrote:tbh although it will cost me more I dont really have an issue with this. It was always just a matter of being able to do it cost effectively as to why they didnt do it in the first place

it still wont be cost effective though. it will cos them more to chase those of us for our few dollars gst on our online purchasers than they get back from it. its all just to keep the likes of Gerry Harvey happy.....

meanwhile, have they set a date for it to take effect yet? there are a couple of purchases i need to make. i might have to get them sooner rather than later...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 am

Gozu wrote:The state premiers have agreed to start charging GST on overseas online purchases under $1000.

I guess premiers don't buy things for less $1000, seems legit.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Gozu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Gozu wrote:The state premiers have agreed to start charging GST on overseas online purchases under $1000.

I guess premiers don't buy things for less $1000, seems legit.

Horrible decision. I heard somewhere but not sure if true that purchases under $20 will be exempt.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:54 pm

why is it horrible? it is not an extra tax, it is something that should have been charged to begin with, just wasnt a mechanism to do that.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:why is it horrible? it is not an extra tax, it is something that should have been charged to begin with, just wasnt a mechanism to do that.

Because it will make things more expensive.
Gozu
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:05 pm

It is something they can do that won't hurt the economy that much so I think it is the best way to raise some coin.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:12 pm

bennymacca wrote:It is something they can do that won't hurt the economy that much so I think it is the best way to raise some coin.

Might not hurt the economy but will hurt the poor. Not that politicians give a shit about things like that. I can think of a number of better ways to raise revenue or increase savings like getting rid of their so called 'overseas study tours'.

Edit: On cue or charging taxpayers to attend other politicians weddings.

Embattled Speaker Bronwyn Bishop is being accused of using taxpayers money to attend former Liberal MP Sophie Mirabella's wedding, calling the trip official business.

The fresh allegations come after Ms Bishop was heavily criticised for using a taxpayer funded helicopter to travel from Melbourne to Geelong.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2015/0 ... to-wedding
Gozu
Coach

Postby tipper » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:56 am

bennymacca wrote:It is something they can do that won't hurt the economy that much so I think it is the best way to raise some coin.

raise some coin? it is the government, it will cost money. how much will it cost them to get the $10 from me for that $100 item i bought?

and forgive my ignorance, but what is the mechanism they have now for collecting it that wasnt there before? storing it at customs till i pay the $10 somewhere? how much will these storage facilities cost? and how much is the (presumably) postal bill going to be to send out all these letters of demand to shoppers? how often will they just outright lose your goods after you have paid them the GST? and how many person hours will be devoted to sorting that out?

when it is big items, or big shipments, i can see the cost benefit, but for that Elsa outfit i got off ebay for by (nearly) 6 year old, i can only see it costing more and taking more time. way to go team australia.....

edited to add, if they really needed to raise coin that badly, remove tax free status for churches unless they can prove that the money went to a charitable cause. and by charitable cause i dont mean expanding their buildings or property, i mean that it went to clothing or food for the homeless etc. but it wont happen
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:10 am

My point was we should have been paying that gst all along. So it isn't an extra tax it is one they have not been collecting. So if there is a cost effective way for them to do that, it is something I support
bennymacca
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion