State of the game

Talk on the national game

State of the game

Postby beef » Thu May 03, 2018 8:11 am

Afl 360 last night had a forum on the state of the game. Game is stuffed, low scores too much congestion. According to David King scoring has dropped dramatically in past 10 years and we need to change things. Scoring average has dropped 6 points per side since 2007 (1 goal and it panic stations). Now everyone wants to change the rules, cap interchanges, reduce players and introduce zones. Can't we just leave it alone as we all applaud tight tough finals but tight low scoring minor round games are a disgrace.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Re: State of the game

Postby Booney » Thu May 03, 2018 8:35 am

It's the end result of the 17th and 18th franchises coming in and the flow on effect from the defensive plans the Eagles and the Swans used in the mid 00's.

On the first one, the talent is spread thinner and the bottom 2-4 sides are further away from the top 2-4 sides every year, as such they have to play ultra defensive to hold the top sides, limit the scoreboard damage > limit the loss of members/sponsors.

On the second one, Geelong came along with a more attacking game plan to counter the 7 goal snorefests the Eagles/Swans kept dishing up and that style, a more attacking one, was in vogue for several years as sides looked to score to win.

Swings and roundabouts and the game is going defensive again ( although it's now front half defence ), couple that with the gap between top and bottom and we will get a handful of average games every week. Two bottom 6 sides are rubbish to watch, a bottom 4 vs a top 4 side is rubbish to watch.

Ultimately we now have 9 games a week, there's more chance a shitter will get dished up with more game getting played.

Leave it alone, ride this wave and we'll see how it turns as coaches counter the current tactics to get an advantage.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 9:05 am

beef wrote:Afl 360 last night had a forum on the state of the game. Game is stuffed, low scores too much congestion. According to David King scoring has dropped dramatically in past 10 years and we need to change things. Scoring average has dropped 6 points per side since 2007 (1 goal and it panic stations). Now everyone wants to change the rules, cap interchanges, reduce players and introduce zones. Can't we just leave it alone as we all applaud tight tough finals but tight low scoring minor round games are a disgrace.

The constant rule changes are clouding the game.

Does anyone know what year the quarters changed form 25 minutes plus time on?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 am

Booney wrote:It's the end result of the 17th and 18th franchises coming in and the flow on effect from the defensive plans the Eagles and the Swans used in the mid 00's.

On the first one, the talent is spread thinner and the bottom 2-4 sides are further away from the top 2-4 sides every year, as such they have to play ultra defensive to hold the top sides, limit the scoreboard damage > limit the loss of members/sponsors.

On the second one, Geelong came along with a more attacking game plan to counter the 7 goal snorefests the Eagles/Swans kept dishing up and that style, a more attacking one, was in vogue for several years as sides looked to score to win.

Swings and roundabouts and the game is going defensive again ( although it's now front half defence ), couple that with the gap between top and bottom and we will get a handful of average games every week. Two bottom 6 sides are rubbish to watch, a bottom 4 vs a top 4 side is rubbish to watch.

Ultimately we now have 9 games a week, there's more chance a shitter will get dished up with more game getting played.

Leave it alone, ride this wave and we'll see how it turns as coaches counter the current tactics to get an advantage.

One Wizard Cup rule (whatever they wanna call it) that I thought brought something to the game is the rule where if you kick it backwards to a team mate in the back half or defensive 50 then it doesn't qualify as a mark.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby stan » Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

Booney wrote:It's the end result of the 17th and 18th franchises coming in and the flow on effect from the defensive plans the Eagles and the Swans used in the mid 00's.

I think your on the money there. The Eagles game plan I think you are talking about back in 05, 06 was actually fairly attacking we just had no forwards.

But as you said Geelong found the way through all the defensive setups.

Then the hawks come up with pressure game and super elite skills such that they could cut through a team and score and score well in fact.

Interesting to see what comes next.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby daysofourlives » Thu May 03, 2018 9:34 am

I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.
Also if you watch 70s and 80s ball ups and throw ins the ball is put back into play immediately by the umpire no waiting for 5 to 10secs for 32 players to get there. If they change no rules at least go back to this so there's little time to set up defensively
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby beef » Thu May 03, 2018 9:42 am

daysofourlives wrote:I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.
Also if you watch 70s and 80s ball ups and throw ins the ball is put back into play immediately by the umpire no waiting for 5 to 10secs for 32 players to get there. If they change no rules at least go back to this so there's little time to set up defensively

Apparently Buckley said he would like prior opportunity to go altogether. I think that will just make players not want to go and get the ball, wait for opponent to get it then tackle him
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 253 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 9:58 am

daysofourlives wrote:I like the idea of team prior opportunity. Where the guy that goes in and gets the footy is still protected as they are currently but as soon as disposes of it to a team mate he must kick or handball otherwise it's holding the ball.

I implement this when I umpire, I get the occasional sook from someone because their ruckman didn't get there in time but I have very few subsequent ball ups, most pick up on it and just allocate someone.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:00 am

beef wrote:

Apparently Buckley said he would like prior opportunity to go altogether. I think that will just make players not want to go and get the ball, wait for opponent to get it then tackle him

I notice that mindset flowing into junior footy nowadays, sad really as we were always taught to go get the ball and the umpire will protect you.

The old line used to be "he's the only one going for it".
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:01 am

Yep totally agree about the ball-ups, players won't be busting their guts to get to every stoppage. And if there's not time to set up defensive structures we may see more one-on-ones. And no one gave a stuff if the occasional bounce was a bit off track, and umpires were able to bounce on softer turf than now.

Also, posted the below in another thread:
"A bit off topic here, but I reckon the current timing of quarters in the AFL is complete crap. Players are saying how hard the game is, don't reduce rotations and there is discussion about making the quarters shorter. Make them longer, go back to the old time-one rules. We get games that are ball-up after ball-up, throw-in after throw-in and these quarters go forever, whilst an open game the time flies by. For example, the other week there was a quarter went 31 minutes with three goals scored, the Power/Cats game third quarter went for 35 minutes with only 6 goals scored including one at the 27 minute mark, another other on the siren, and remember a few years ago when the Crows crowd were bagged for leaving early against Melbourne, 26 minutes, one goal yet still two minutes on the count-down clock.
And complementary to these would be more liberal deliberate and HTB rules in the packs, but the umpires get in there and restart the play ASAP, not like they do most times now."
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby morell » Thu May 03, 2018 10:06 am

I would shorten the quarters and the breaks. It goes way too long. By the end of the quarters coaches park the bus the avoid conceeding in "red time" due to fatigue.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

morell wrote:I would shorten the quarters and the breaks. It goes way too long. By the end of the quarters coaches park the bus the avoid conceeding in "red time" due to fatigue.

How long do you think is fair for a quarter?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu May 03, 2018 10:12 am

morell wrote:I would shorten the quarters and the breaks. It goes way too long. By the end of the quarters coaches park the bus the avoid conceeding in "red time" due to fatigue.

Everything the AFL has introduced of late is to create fatigue and open the game up. It hasn't worked. The professional modern day football just gets conditioned to run harder, for longer. They are machines.

I don't want to see the playing time reduced, I think they could reduce the breaks though, especially half time.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 10:13 am

The benefit of quicker ball ups and throw ins might get diluted these days by needing to nominate a ruckman?

As with any business, it's always important to look at a way of improving the product, but I really think the media are going too soon on this one, effectively wanting changes made (some of which genuinely alter the fabric of the game) after 6 rounds of footy, which imho is just nuts.

Think also we were spoilt for good games and close finishes last season, yet we haven't had any game this season reach those heights - There's a lot of cycles in footy, so reckon the "experts" just need to keep their powder dry for the time being.

Sign of the times though with the AFL hell bent on earning ever cent they can that the media can have such an influence on the game. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some hot HTB calls this round.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:14 am

FlyingHigh wrote:

Yep totally agree about the ball-ups, players won't be busting their guts to get to every stoppage. And if there's not time to set up defensive structures we may see more one-on-ones. And no one gave a stuff if the occasional bounce was a bit off track, and umpires were able to bounce on softer turf than now.

"A bit off topic here, but I reckon the current timing of quarters in the AFL is complete crap. Players are saying how hard the game is, don't reduce rotations and there is discussion about making the quarters shorter. Make them longer, go back to the old time-one rules. We get games that are ball-up after ball-up, throw-in after throw-in and these quarters go forever, whilst an open game the time flies by. For example, the other week there was a quarter went 31 minutes with three goals scored, the Power/Cats game third quarter went for 35 minutes with only 6 goals scored including one at the 27 minute mark, another other on the siren, and remember a few years ago when the Crows crowd were bagged for leaving early against Melbourne, 26 minutes, one goal yet still two minutes on the count-down clock.
And complementary to these would be more liberal deliberate and HTB rules in the packs, but the umpires get in there and restart the play ASAP, not like they do most times now."

Mallala vs Angle Vale 2016: 3rd quarter went for 43 minutes, I nearly started to cry after each goal.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu May 03, 2018 10:16 am

Booney wrote:

Everything the AFL has introduced of late is to create fatigue and open the game up. It hasn't worked. The professional modern day football just gets conditioned to run harder, for longer. They are machines.

I don't want to see the playing time reduced, I think they could reduce the breaks though, especially half time.

Absolutely, half time does more harm than good, I don't need to see vision of a player eating a couple of snakes, a banana and an orange, keep the camera's out of the rooms, they'd spend 5 minutes talking amongst themselves anyway.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:29 am

JK wrote:The benefit of quicker ball ups and throw ins might get diluted these days by needing to nominate a ruckman?

As with any business, it's always important to look at a way of improving the product, but I really think the media are going too soon on this one, effectively wanting changes made (some of which genuinely alter the fabric of the game) after 6 rounds of footy, which imho is just nuts.

Think also we were spoilt for good games and close finishes last season, yet we haven't had any game this season reach those heights - There's a lot of cycles in footy, so reckon the "experts" just need to keep their powder dry for the time being.

Sign of the times though with the AFL hell bent on earning ever cent they can that the media can have such an influence on the game. Wouldn't be surprised if we see some hot HTB calls this round.

But if there were quicker ball-ups and throw-ins there wouldn't be a need to nominate a ruckman
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:30 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

Mallala vs Angle Vale 2016: 3rd quarter went for 43 minutes, I nearly started to cry after each goal.

:lol: :lol:
happy for a quarter to go that long if there are 23 goals kicked. Not if there are 134 stoppages.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby JK » Thu May 03, 2018 10:31 am

FlyingHigh wrote:
JK wrote:The benefit of quicker ball ups and throw ins might get diluted these days by needing to nominate a ruckman?

But if there were quicker ball-ups and throw-ins there wouldn't be a need to nominate a ruckman

Yes there would, it would open the door for a 3rd man up - Hard to imagine the AFL removing a rule they only recently implemented.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby FlyingHigh » Thu May 03, 2018 10:37 am

Yeah, but that's about the AFL's ego.
If there were less players around the ball to compete for the ball after the tap, wouldn't there be more risk having a third man up?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL