Controversial Run Out

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Controversial Run Out

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:16 pm

Hey all. Did you see the controversial run out of David Wagner for New Zealand against Bangladesh? What do you think of the decision to give him out even though he was at least a metre behind the line?
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Controversial Run Out

Postby heater31 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Hey all. Did you see the controversial run out of David Wagner for New Zealand against Bangladesh? What do you think of the decision to give him out even though he was at least a metre behind the line?

Was he taking evasive action to avoid the ball coming in?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:25 pm

heater31 wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Hey all. Did you see the controversial run out of David Wagner for New Zealand against Bangladesh? What do you think of the decision to give him out even though he was at least a metre behind the line?

Was he taking evasive action to avoid the ball coming in?

Nope. He had just came back from his 2nd run. He had grounded his bat over the line. But it got caught and as his feet and the bat also were just off the ground as the ball hit the wicket. He was given out. But he was at least a full metre behind the crease at the time of when the bails came off.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Within the full sense of the rules, it's a fair decision.
Probably wouldn't have been given if there was no third umpire, though.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:32 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Within the full sense of the rules, it's a fair decision.

unfortunate but it's out according to the rules.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:33 pm

I understand the rules. But he had already grounded the bat over the line. And as far as I am concerned, the bat is part of the arm. Correct?? Just like if a bowler hits a batter on the glove and it carries through to the keeper and is caught. That is out. Because the hand is part of the bat. Correct?? I just think that rule in particular needs looking at.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:37 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:

I understand the rules. But he had already grounded the bat over the line. And as far as I am concerned, the bat is part of the arm. Correct?? Just like if a bowler hits a batter on the glove and it carries through to the keeper and is caught. That is out. Because the hand is part of the bat. Correct?? I just think that rule in particular needs looking at.

From memory it was changed about 5 years ago.
It use to be as you have mentioned but they changed it to be your bat and feet had to touch over the crease and not just your bat.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 2512 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:38 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:

From memory it was changed about 5 years ago.
It use to be as you have mentioned but they changed it to be your bat and feet had to touch over the crease and not just your bat.

Stupid bloody rule. Should be plain and simple and say that once you've crossed the line with either of your body or bat, you should be safe.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby Trader » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm

Yeah it's an interesting one.

The third umpire got it correct to the current laws. (By the way, well done to Nigel Long for sending it upstairs, most umpires would have given it a simple not out on field as it seemed obvious he was home).

The laws changed some time to say once you've made your ground, if you're running naturally, you're considered in your crease. This came about as a result of slow mo cameras showing both feet to be off the ground at the same time while simply running, which clearly isn't meant to be out when the laws of the game were written back in 18-dickety-2. Essentially the laws were "modernised" to keep up with technology and maintain the intent they were first written.

For mine, the interesting one is when a batsman dives to make his crease, and the bat "bounces". Often you now see the third umpire heavily scrutinizing footage to determine when the bounce either started or finished, and where this coincides with the bails being removed. For mine, that's not the intent of the law, and should be reconsidered.

I'd like to see the law along the lines of "once you've made your ground, you're considered in your crease unless you voluntarily* leave your crease" - the current caveat of "avoiding injury" should also remain.

* - this probably isn't the correct word, as a stumping where a player overbalances isn't voluntary, but should be out - but hopefully you get what I mean.

The above would have seen Wagner considered safe, and that's the intent I believe the law was originally written with.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm

Trader wrote:Yeah it's an interesting one.

The third umpire got it correct to the current laws. (By the way, well done to Nigel Long for sending it upstairs, most umpires would have given it a simple not out on field as it seemed obvious he was home).

The laws changed some time to say once you've made your ground, if you're running naturally, you're considered in your crease. This came about as a result of slow mo cameras showing both feet to be off the ground at the same time while simply running, which clearly isn't meant to be out when the laws of the game were written back in 18-dickety-2. Essentially the laws were "modernised" to keep up with technology and maintain the intent they were first written.

For mine, the interesting one is when a batsman dives to make his crease, and the bat "bounces". Often you now see the third umpire heavily scrutinizing footage to determine when the bounce either started or finished, and where this coincides with the bails being removed. For mine, that's not the intent of the law, and should be reconsidered.

I'd like to see the law along the lines of "once you've made your ground, you're considered in your crease unless you voluntarily* leave your crease" - the current caveat of "avoiding injury" should also remain.

* - this probably isn't the correct word, as a stumping where a player overbalances isn't voluntary, but should be out - but hopefully you get what I mean.

The above would have seen Wagner considered safe, and that's the intent I believe the law was originally written with.

F#@king amen bro.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby FlyingHigh » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Didn't see this one, but there was a similar one with Malinga from SL in Australia a few years ago.
What I want to know is, is the run awarded, because if not, at what point does a run count?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby GWW » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:39 pm

GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:06 pm

I had thought that the rule had changed to say once you had ground the bat behind the crease it didn't matter what happened after that point in regards to jumping in the air etc.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm

Yeah it's a clear difference between trying to make your ground and standing there with the intent of possibly making an extra run - or turning etc.

Agree with the above
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:51 pm

Five metres past the crease with the bat above the ground and a player hops up would be out by this logic. If not attempting another run a run out should not be an option.

After each run a team could break the stumps and check via slo mo if his feet are both in the air? Perhaps when he is changing his shoes with the physio? Maybe ping the ball at him?

I say crap referal by the umpire.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 pm

As I've said a million times since the third umpire came into play. The "benefit of the doubt" is gone. Otherwise, why refer it, unless you're looking for a reason to give him out?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 pm

DOC wrote:Five metres past the crease with the bat above the ground and a player hops up would be out by this logic. If not attempting another run a run out should not be an option.

After each run a team could break the stumps and check via slo mo if his feet are both in the air? Perhaps when he is changing his shoes with the physio? Maybe ping the ball at him?

I say crap referal by the umpire.

The rule currently states once the foot has been grounded behind the crease the batsman is safe from any further run out basically. Its wrong, agree with the sentiment here that once you have grounded the bat that should be it
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:55 pm

Definitely agree with the sentiment that once a batsman has made his ground he is in unless he chooses to leave it.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:00 am

Exactly the point I am trying to make. Once the batter has grounded his bat over the crease then he should be safe. Especially that the bat is part of the arm. Just like the hand is part of the bat when the bowler strikes the batter on the gloves and carries through to the keeper and is given out for caught behind.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:22 pm

Bombers4EVA wrote:Exactly the point I am trying to make. Once the batter has grounded his bat over the crease then he should be safe. Especially that the bat is part of the arm. Just like the hand is part of the bat when the bowler strikes the batter on the gloves and carries through to the keeper and is given out for caught behind.

It has to be more than just bat grounded - what if he is turning for another run?

That's why I think the rule about intent should be there. It's clear usually whether someone is trying to make their ground or not
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Next

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket