R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:24 pm

NORWOOD
Norwood has injected more youth into its line-up to face Adelaide at Coopers Stadium on Saturday.
Ruckman Josh Miller, utility Mac Bower and midfielders Matthew Nunn and Zac Richards have all been added to the 23-man squad.
Only Bower seems assured of a start after being named at half-forward with the remaining trio on the five-man extended interchange bench.
McDonald’s SA Under-18 star Jake Pitman couldn’t be considered due to a shoulder injury suffered in a heavy collision with West’s Travis Tuck.
Premiership utility Ed Smart will likely miss the rest of the season with a groin complaint.

League
F: Roocke, Johnston, Dawe
HF: Bower, Levicki, Donohue
C: Viney, Panos, Wilson
HB: Jefferies, Chippendale, Fuller
B: Kirwan, Georgiou, Bode

R: Baulderstone, Cachia, Webber
INT: Nunn, Giannini, Persinos, Richards, Miller
IN: Nunn, Bower, Miller, Richards
OUT: Pitman (shoulder), Smart (groin)

Under-18
Ariek, Astbury, Blades, Bower, Breden, Carter, Charlton, M. Coles, J. Coles, Davidson-Smith, DiStefano, George, Hupfeld, Joseph, Ladhams, Martin, Miller, North, Olsson, Pascoe, Pedro, Saywell, Smith, Tsouvallas, Tziortzis.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 3835 times

Re: R20 - Norwood v Ravens @ Norwood

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Redlegs to win by 30 points.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Magellan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:08 am

Hopefully Norwood can neuter the Crows Reserves attempt at a finals berth with a win. However, the Crows side has some big ins. If master coach Younie plays them all in the right positions for the duration of the game and they play to the line, then I think they'll be rejoicing at 4:30pm at the West Lakes Shed.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 756 times
Been liked: 1516 times

Postby matt35 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:12 am

Last time around Norwood were extremely competitive for a half, with Adelaide dominant in the second half. Wouldn't be surprised to see a similar scenario this week, but either way can't see it being anything other than a relatively comfortable Adelaide win, securing a place in the finals for the first time.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby therisingblues » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:44 am

Adelaide to switch it on in the third. Rest of the game they'll be experimenting. Ravens by 5 goals.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Live video stream of this game from the SANFL website.
Armchair expert wrote:Such a great club are Geelong
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2151 times
Been liked: 4090 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Norwood fans should keep an eye on Tom Charlton in the u/18's. His Grandfather won five mail medals in Port Lincoln and his Dad was a multi State Country rep making the All Australian side one year.
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:52 pm

ADELAIDE
Adelaide has been significantly strengthened ahead of its contest against Norwood at Coopers Stadium on Saturday.
Former captain Nathan van Berlo, experienced defender Andy Otten and half-forward Riley Knight return from injury while Ricky Henderson is back from AFL duty.
Development players Trent Heffernan and Matthew Johncock have been added to the five-man extended interchange bench.
Ruckman Reilly O’Brien has retained his place at AFL level with Sam Jacobs still injured while Jake Kelly and Cam Ellis-Yolmen are also set to play under senior coach Don Pyke.
Rookie-listed utility Keenan Ramsey has been sidelined by an ankle strain.

League
F: Greenwood, Dear, Menzel
HF: Milera, Lowden, Knight
C: Beech, van Berlo, Henderson
HB: Hampton, Keath, Doedee
B: Carey, Shaw, Otten

R: Hunter, Gore, Grigg
INT: Schoenmakers, Leigh, Johncock, Heffernan, Spriggs
IN: Knight, van Berlo, Henderson, Otten, Johncock, Heffernan
OUT: O’Brien (AFL), Kelly (AFL), Ellis-Yolmen (AFL), Ramsey (ankle)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:12 pm

If the crowd figures are more than 1200 they are full of shit. Smallest crowd I've ever seen at the Parade, maybe 50 Crows fans tops. Given a football lesson today but you reap what you sow, thanks Joe!
Only highlight was Viney's huge mark of the year contender but left long before the end
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Big Phil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:47 pm

Jim05 wrote:IOnly highlight was Viney's huge mark of the year contender...

What quarter was that?
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 277 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:53 pm

Big Phil wrote:

What quarter was that?

3rd
Reckon about the 15 minute mark
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3654 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Big Phil » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:26 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

What quarter was that?

3rd
Reckon about the 15 minute mark

Cheers mate...

Just watched it then - what a GREAT grab...

Roury Kirkby took a hanger today at the Bay as well, in his last game...

No doubt that both marks will be seen in the highlights reel later next week....
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 277 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:46 am

So the Crows Reserves have clinched an historic finals berth. I'm sure all Crows fans are excited by this.

Given the Crows Seniors are also a shoe-in for the finals, I wonder how this will be reflected in the SANFL finals matches they'll play? Given all Crows fans will be naturally focusing on AFL premiership glory we may have some below standard attendances on our hands. Also, whether master coach and part-time Crows match attendee Heath Younie coaches his side to win (as would be expected in finals) or manages the squad in the best interests of the senior side's premiership tilt will be the ultimate test of its 'play to the line' policy. It'd be a travesty for a final to be won against a side with an ulterior motive to winning.

On the flip side, it's a good opportunity for all those who object to their presence to get on down to Adelaide Oval (funnily enough, it's the equivalent to their home ground given it's their club's home ground and they train on it), back whoever they're playing, and lend some support for the proposition that they shouldn't be there. Maybe someone should dust off* Eric?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:50 am

Magellan wrote:Maybe someone should dust off* Eric?

Should happen, roll it out across the barren outer seats while the Ravens are playing and get it on TV.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Magellan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Magellan wrote:Maybe someone should dust off* Eric?

Should happen, roll it out across the barren outer seats while the Ravens are playing and get it on TV.

On second thoughts, I'd bet security would refuse to let Eric enter the ground, as I'd guess he's pretty hard to conceal?

What might be feasible is a bunch of people, say the SANFL team's cheer squad, located behind the goals each hold up one A3 sized piece of paper or cardboard with a letter of Eric's message on it every time a goal is scored. Security would also get the shits on with this, but at least the message would get be made.
Magellan
Coach

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Finals crowd numbers will take a hit this year with no Redlegs competing.
Rest assured,
after an 8th placing they will be back in the finals bigger than ever in 2017 and a new grandstand to boot.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:15 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Finals crowd numbers will take a hit this year with no Redlegs competing.
Rest assured,
after an 8th placing they will be back in the finals bigger than ever in 2017 and a new grandstand to boot.

Sturt's there. Not much difference in the numbers between the two clubs.
Inclusion of the ravens would be more worrying Imo.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:25 pm

Magellan wrote:.... Adelaide Oval (funnily enough, it's the equivalent to their home ground given it's their club's home ground and they train on it),

Actually, how much of a difference will this make? I hadn't considered this before, but you are correct. Those Ravens who play AFL have far more match experience on Adelaide Oval than their SANFL counterparts, and it's their training base. Adelaide Oval IS their home ground. I fear this will be a huge advantage. If they win through to week 2 of finals, the higher ranked side will be playing AWAY to the Ravens.
How's that work? The side finishing lower gets a home final?
Inconsistencies abound in the new contrived SANFL. If they are to remain, then a home finals system must follow.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby matt35 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:19 pm

One factor that nobody has mentioned is that there is no AFL Football during the first week of the SANFL finals. So I expect from a social media/PR point of view the club will have a fair bit of space to promote their SANFL final in that first week at least. Given the now near certainty of the Crows playing an elimination final, I have begun to promote the game in various Crows groups I am a member of and have been very surprised by the interest, as my previous attempts to promote SANFL Crows have been largely ignored. Crows supporters are very used to going to Adelaide Oval and unless they follow one of the other competing clubs, the ammos or something else, will have nothing else to follow that weekend. So I actually think there'll be a reasonable Crows presence for the first final. Beyond that, if the Crows progress beyond the first week, it becomes more uncertain.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:20 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Magellan wrote:.... Adelaide Oval (funnily enough, it's the equivalent to their home ground given it's their club's home ground and they train on it),

Actually, how much of a difference will this make? I hadn't considered this before, but you are correct. Those Ravens who play AFL have far more match experience on Adelaide Oval than their SANFL counterparts, and it's their training base. Adelaide Oval IS their home ground. I fear this will be a huge advantage. If they win through to week 2 of finals, the higher ranked side will be playing AWAY to the Ravens.
How's that work? The side finishing lower gets a home final?
Inconsistencies abound in the new contrived SANFL. If they are to remain, then a home finals system must follow.

It's not their training base, they would have their main session there once a week, only before home games.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7639 times
Been liked: 11104 times

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL