Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Talk on the national game

Re: Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:12 am

Agreed - we get a right to comment on his ability as a commentator but surely his private life should remain private. I know that's impossible in this day and age though.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:12 am

Wedgie wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
What do you mean "huh"? Is it any of your, or mine for that matter, business? Nope, unless you're one of the parties involved, got nothing to do with you or me. Let the people sort their shit out.

If you want to work in the media and voice your opinion on others, you're going to come under scrutiny when you f*** up yourself.

The media don't think like that, they think they're immune and get very litigation happy when the shoe is on the other foot. Pack of hypocrites.

Those of us who get grumpy about media invasions into 'privacy' but then who lap up every column inch or tv/radio interview about the matter are just as hypocritical.
PS: Everyone has the right to get litigation happy.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:20 am

bennymacca wrote:Agreed - we get a right to comment on his ability as a commentator but surely his private life should remain private. I know that's impossible in this day and age though.

In the main the comments on here have given me a real insight into who watches the Kardashians and who follows the football.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:24 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Agreed - we get a right to comment on his ability as a commentator but surely his private life should remain private. I know that's impossible in this day and age though.

In the main the comments on here have given me a real insight into who watches the Kardashians and who follows the football.

One of the Kardashian movies went alright....
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby valleys07 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:30 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

One of the Kardashian movies went alright....

HA!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:32 am

Booney wrote:
So Lyon gets paid to make a comment on how North Melbourne are developing their young midfielders and it gives everyone else the right to stick their nose into his private affairs?

Yeah, I can see the logic in that. :roll:

So Lyon has never passed judgement on any footballers activities off the field?

I think you're being a little naive there mate, if he only commented on football then there would be some scope, they are journo's at it's their job to break news like this, unfortunately he is the headline now.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:42 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:
So Lyon gets paid to make a comment on how North Melbourne are developing their young midfielders and it gives everyone else the right to stick their nose into his private affairs?

I think you're being a little naive there mate, if he only commented on football then there would be some scope, they are journo's at it's their job to break news like this, unfortunately he is the headline now.

The world really is all ****** up now.

He's paid to do a job and encouraged by us, the viewing public, to do so while we chow down on our dinner in front of the box and make comments, (the more controversial the better and he'd get fired as a useless dud if he didn't) and that basically makes his life an open book?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:43 am

Booney wrote:

He's paid to do a job and encouraged by us, the viewing public, to do so while we chow down on our dinner in front of the box and make comments, (the more controversial the better and he'd get fired as a useless dud if he didn't) and that basically makes his life an open book?

=))
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 am

Well yes if his gonna pass judgment on footballers private lives and out of work activities and while at it make a very handsome living better than what most of us will ever experience then yes when he becomes the headline his life is an open book just like the many footballers he has placed under that exact scrutiny
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:48 am

I guess the term "private life" is no longer relevant at all then.

Hopefully Gary is getting the help he needs.
Last edited by Booney on Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:52 am

Booney wrote:I guess the term "private life" is no longer relevant at all then.

Not when you make a living off other people's private life
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:00 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

C'mon Booney, you can't have your cake and eat it too!!
Gary Lyon is as opinionated as anyone out there...........shoes on the other foot so he needs to suck it up now and be the big boy here.
Mental illness aside as this is a different issue............it's an illness not an excuse for when you f*ck up in life!!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:05 pm

In each of these situations the person "using" mental illness as an "excuse" always comes out and talks about it in the future, when they are in a position to do so. They just do it at a time when they were well enough to do so.
If these guys are to return to their roles or other similar positions, they have to do so. They can't just return without doing so, or they don't return to their career - which would tell you a lot about their health anyway.
Why do they need to front up when "we"want them to? Do you really want to see a broken man on tv? Will it make your life better/different?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:08 pm

I'm not sure you can say Lyon 'makes a living' off of other's private lives. That suggests a level of exploitation which I don't think exists. Lyon doesn't muckrake for 'Woman's Day', isn't an invasive paparazzi photographer, doesn't rummages through people's rubbish to find a story, nor is a "foot in the door" Today Tonight style 'journalist'.

As Booney rightly said, part of his job as a footy commentator and talking head on Nine is to discuss the current issues in footy. That naturally includes on field stuff, but also the off field issues. I'm not aware of Lyon saying anything vicious about off field issues. He's certainly expressed his views, but then who hasn't, and isn't that what he get's paid to do, which is talk about whatever issues the Footy Show want discussed?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:14 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:In each of these situations the person "using" mental illness as an "excuse" always comes out and talks about it in the future, when they are in a position to do so. They just do it at a time when they were well enough to do so.
If these guys are to return to their roles or other similar positions, they have to do so. They can't just return without doing so, or they don't return to their career - which would tell you a lot about their health anyway.
Why do they need to front up when "we"want them to? Do you really want to see a broken man on tv? Will it make your life better/different?

I hope he gets his 'illness' under control and sorts out his life............. But in the meantime he makes it up to his family and friends he has hurt, if possible.
But Gary Lyon has made a career out of belittling smaller and less fortunate people than himself and has been part of many stories on the footy show that have hurt people over time.........so forgive us for not giving a shit about him in 'HIS' hour of need that he created*.

*Mental illness aside
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:In each of these situations the person "using" mental illness as an "excuse" always comes out and talks about it in the future, when they are in a position to do so. They just do it at a time when they were well enough to do so.

I hope he gets his 'illness' under control and sorts out his life............. But in the meantime he makes it up to his family and friends he has hurt, if possible.
But Gary Lyon has made a career out of belittling smaller and less fortunate people than himself and has been part of many stories on the footy show that have hurt people over time.........so forgive us for not giving a shit about him in 'HIS' hour of need that he created*.

*Mental illness aside

But "we" ( not me ) all watch the Footy Show and laugh at this belittling, we encourage it by keeping the show going, but then he's to blame for giving us what we want?

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

*Mental illness aside

But "we" ( not me ) all watch the Footy Show and laugh at this belittling, we encourage it by keeping the show going, but then he's to blame for giving us what we want?

Exactly.......... Except you left the part out about him not keeping his d*ck in his pants when it comes to his good mates missus!! ;)
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:30 pm

Booney wrote:I guess the term "private life" is no longer relevant at all then.

Unfortunately not.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:33 pm

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:

*Mental illness aside

I don't either.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:38 pm

I'm sure that we all feel pretty depressed when we get caught doing something that we shouldn't be doing, more so if people close to us get hurt.

I think we've all been in compromising positions where we could take a bite of the forbidden fruit or do a "repercussion check" and think better of it, the difference is that it affects or interests far fewer people when it concerns one of us,
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL