Denis Cometti Retiring

Talk on the national game

Denis Cometti Retiring

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:07 pm

Denis calling it quits after this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-10/c ... l-it-quits

Personally I think he is one of the best. And with Hamish and Basil the ones likely to commentate more, it doesnt seem like the commentary will be improving next year
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: Denis Cometti Retiring

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:15 pm

I think while Cometti is one of the best, he's been paired with some clowns on C7 in the last couple of years making it hard for him to be himself, he's almost had to put in too much of his "Cometti-isms" to appease the other commentators.

C7's commentary across the board has dropped, so even the likes of Den can't be immune to that.

Will certainly miss him. Won't enjoy Basil trying to be Den V2.0 at all....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:22 pm

bennymacca wrote:Denis calling it quits after this year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-10/c ... l-it-quits

Personally I think he is one of the best. And with Hamish and Basil the ones likely to commentate more, it doesnt seem like the commentary will be improving next year

I agree. He brings a sharp wit and a clever turn of phrase to footy commentary, which these days often reduces to blokes barracking in a pub (anyone at 5AA) or desperately injecting hype into bland matches (hello, Dwayne Russell, Eddie McGuire, and James Brayshaw)) rather than actually commenting on what's happening in the game.

I can understand why he wants to retire, but he's probably the one should least be encouraged to hang up the mike ahead of others (I'm looking at you, Brian f**king Taylor).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Wow-ee
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:29 pm

am Bays wrote:Wow-ee

Get out. Just get out. You're not welcome here.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:41 pm

Magellan wrote:I agree. He brings a sharp wit and a clever turn of phrase to footy commentary, which these days often reduces to blokes barracking in a pub (anyone at 5AA) or desperately injecting hype into bland matches (hello, Dwayne Russell, Eddie McGuire, and James Brayshaw)) rather than actually commenting on what's happening in the game.

Off topic, but did anyone else notice the difference in commentary between Ch9 and Sky NZ in the cricket? It was like chalk and cheese. The sky boys talked about cricket
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Magellan wrote:I agree. He brings a sharp wit and a clever turn of phrase to footy commentary, which these days often reduces to blokes barracking in a pub (anyone at 5AA) or desperately injecting hype into bland matches (hello, Dwayne Russell, Eddie McGuire, and James Brayshaw)) rather than actually commenting on what's happening in the game.

Off topic, but did anyone else notice the difference in commentary between Ch9 and Sky NZ in the cricket? It was like chalk and cheese. The sky boys talked about cricket

Yep and the NZ female they had doing the boundary 'riding' while very unattractive actually knew a fair bit about cricket and spoke the language unlike channel tens big bash coverage with Mel 'dont blush baby'
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:

The Ch 9 team talked about cheese? Surprisingly highbrow for them, perhaps they're trying to cut MKR's lunch (pun a bit intended).
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Failed Creation » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:33 pm

Like Bruce McAvaney, I think Dennis has become a bit of a parody of himself.

I can't think of a single commentator I enjoy hearing these days; In fact, the only people I enjoy hearing talk about footy are Gerard and Robbo on AFL 360, and guys like @wristwatcher on the SA Footballer YouTube channel.
Politicians kissing babies for good luck,
TV preachers sell salvation for a buck.
You don't need no golden cross to tell you wrong from right,
The world's worst murderers were those who saw the light.
Failed Creation
Coach

Has liked: 3307 times
Been liked: 613 times
Grassroots Team: Gawler Central

Postby bennymacca » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:01 pm

Failed Creation wrote:Like Bruce McAvaney, I think Dennis has become a bit of a parody of himself.

I can't think of a single commentator I enjoy hearing these days; In fact, the only people I enjoy hearing talk about footy are Gerard and Robbo on AFL 360, and guys like @wristwatcher on the SA Footballer YouTube channel.

Yeah Gerard and robbo clearly the best

Dwayne Russell isn't bad.

As much as he is an idiot I like rowey when he is commentating. Less so on the sports show.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:10 pm

I have a love-hate relationship with Dwayne Russell. I think he's an annoying commentator, mainly because he's prone to over-hyping and sensationalising things which makes him sound like a try-hard, yet I think he has a lot of sensible things to say about the game when not involved in match commentary and clearly isn't an idiot.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:48 am

Not sure why the media regurgitated this story, he announced this 2 years back.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:00 am

Gotta fill the papers and websites with something footy-related, just in case people forget the season's around the corner.
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:36 am

Dutchy wrote:Not sure why the media regurgitated this story, he announced this 2 years back.

I think its more of a case that he is definitely retiring rather than probably
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Not sure why the media regurgitated this story, he announced this 2 years back.

I think its more of a case that he is definitely retiring rather than probably

He said at the end of the current ch7 deal he is done.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2325 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:16 pm

Magellan wrote:I have a love-hate relationship with Dwayne Russell. I think he's an annoying commentator, mainly because he's prone to over-hyping and sensationalising things which makes him sound like a try-hard, yet I think he has a lot of sensible things to say about the game when not involved in match commentary and clearly isn't an idiot.

This^
Gerard & Robbo clearly the best to discuss football. Wheatley is a very good commentator on ABC radio also.
As far as TV commentators, Huddo is probably the pick of them.
I never warmed to Cometti, his WA bias (whilst not as evident in recent years) always shat me - his Friday night tandem calls with Bruce are painstaking.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:41 pm

Magellan wrote:I have a love-hate relationship with Dwayne Russell. I think he's an annoying commentator, mainly because he's prone to over-hyping and sensationalising things which makes him sound like a try-hard, yet I think he has a lot of sensible things to say about the game when not involved in match commentary and clearly isn't an idiot.

I hate hearing him call Port games, it would be like me calling a Port game....terrible for people to listen too. His bias is unbelievable.

( 25 minute mark, last quarter, Port down by 34 points - Wingard marks 40 out on a slight angle )

"Could this be the man to bring Port Adelaide back, could this man be the one to win the match for them!!!!"

Shut up, Dwayne, or I'll show everyone this.... :lol:
Attachments
Dwayne.jpg
Dwayne.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 570 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:56 pm

Is there a single play-by-play guys that is universally liked? Or at least universally tolerated?

Tim Lane maybe? David Wildy? Do we really have to plumb the depths of radio to find a caller that everyone doesnt hate?

Bruce used to be that guy but he hasn't been great in the past few years. Though having said that I think he is much better on the tennis these days than the footy
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:Is there a single play-by-play guys that is universally liked? Or at least universally tolerated?

Tim Lane maybe? David Wildy? Do we really have to plumb the depths of radio to find a caller that everyone doesnt hate?

Bruce used to be that guy but he hasn't been great in the past few years. Though having said that I think he is much better on the tennis these days than the footy

One that was universally liked in Clinton Grybas, sadly is no longer here..
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:00 pm

bennymacca wrote:Is there a single play-by-play guys that is universally liked? Or at least universally tolerated?

David Wildy - worst media personality ever.
Perennial fence sitter who never finishes a sentence before changing the subject. It's like he actually interrupts himself.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5486 times
Been liked: 5124 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Next

Board index   Football  AFL