General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 season

Talk on the national game

Re: General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 seas

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 am

It is unbelievable, to think people think that way, but it isn't because people still do.

Zartan, if it wasn't Martin, or any other AFL star, if it was Joe Bloggs, the lady went through the same process, the police investigated, charged the person etc etc. Would you see it the same way?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:29 am

woodublieve12 wrote:SO since he didn't touch her, it's ok?

Unbelievable

Didn't say it was ok, and I'm not saying Martin is a poor innocent victim - just think it's a little blown out of proportion - and she wasn't assaulted as the allegation suggest.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:32 am

Booney wrote:It is unbelievable, to think people think that way, but it isn't because people still do.

Zartan, if it wasn't Martin, or any other AFL star, if it was Joe Bloggs, the lady went through the same process, the police investigated, charged the person etc etc. Would you see it the same way?

Well I don't know - I don't know what the lady said, or the manner in which she said it.. I highly doubt if some regular Joe Bloggs was drinking at the bar she would've approached them in the same way.. in all likelihood she would've avoided the confrontation..

Had the police investigated and charged the person and it came out he was an absolute tool then yeah I would see it differently.. but that's not the case - I see it as a lady who was confident to approach a drunken AFL star instead of all others because I think she knew he wouldn't retaliate - and if he did well she'd be famous
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:34 am

He didn't touch her, move on.

Time to start following your exes back home from the train station, or calling them up only to not speak on the other end. Or perhaps write them a honest letter spelt with letters cut out from a newspaper. Or if you're a bit mad at someone, shout at them on top note about what you'd like to do to them.

As long as there's no physical contact you'll be in the clear. :roll:
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:35 am

Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:It is unbelievable, to think people think that way, but it isn't because people still do.

Well I don't know - I don't know what the lady said, or the manner in which she said it.. I highly doubt if some regular Joe Bloggs was drinking at the bar she would've approached them in the same way.. in all likelihood she would've avoided the confrontation..

Had the police investigated and charged the person and it came out he was an absolute tool then yeah I would see it differently.. but that's not the case - I see it as a lady who was confident to approach a drunken AFL star instead of all others because I think she knew he wouldn't retaliate - and if he did well she'd be famous

As I thought. Cheers.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 am

Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:Well I don't know - I don't know what the lady said, or the manner in which she said it.

As I thought. Cheers.

Neither does anyone else, but they are quick to jump on the anti-Martin bandwagon..
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:41 am

Zartan wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:SO since he didn't touch her, it's ok?

Unbelievable

Didn't say it was ok, and I'm not saying Martin is a poor innocent victim - just think it's a little blown out of proportion - and she wasn't assaulted as the allegation suggest.

She felt at risk, that is assault and if she wanted to could press charges...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:44 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Zartan wrote:Maybe Martin responded threateningly because he himself felt threatened at the time by the lady?
Maybe he stood up over her, because she decided to stand over him in the first instance as he say there?
Maybe he threatened to stab her in the face with chopsticks because she baited him asking what he was gonna do?

Meh I think she put herself in that position, she should've dealt with the situation better i.e. go to the manager or bar staff or even one of his mates, but instead she decided to be the hero who spotted an AFL footy player and thought she would jump on her high horse - when that didn't work she ran all the way to the news to get her 5 minutes of fame.

He didn't touch her, move on.

I think that Freo supporter should've handled herself better as well.
People who speak to others in a public place deserve what they get.

Hardly a comparison IMO.

And, yet, people were saying that woman shouldn't have got involved. Shouldn't have asked the gentleman involved to calm down.

Just when should people make a stand when appalling behaviour is being presented?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:45 am

Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:Well I don't know - I don't know what the lady said, or the manner in which she said it.

As I thought. Cheers.

Neither does anyone else, but they are quick to jump on the anti-Martin bandwagon..

So, so wrong. I'm anti-people threatening other people with violence.

Have a good day.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:57 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Hardly a comparison IMO.

And, yet, people were saying that woman shouldn't have got involved. Shouldn't have asked the gentleman involved to calm down.

Just when should people make a stand when appalling behaviour is being presented?

One difference: I've seen footage of the Freo incident to formulate an opinion of the dude's behavior.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby The Bedge » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:02 am

Booney wrote:
Zartan wrote:
Booney wrote:

As I thought. Cheers.

So, so wrong. I'm anti-people threatening other people with violence.

Have a good day.

I :heart: you Booney :D
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Hardly a comparison IMO.

One difference: I've seen footage of the Freo incident to formulate an opinion of the dude's behavior.

And, yet, even with video vision, people still said the woman should have minded her own business.
So, just when should people make a stand when appalling behaviour is being presented?

The Dude apologised.
The Dude did not refute any of the claims.
If it was not what had occurred, The Dude and his club would have fought their corner by minimising the claims (as we've seen with every other case of footballers behaving badly in the past).
It was a straight-out apology, with no other comment from the club or party involved, which is pretty rare in these cases.
Seems like he did something wrong.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:40 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
And, yet, even with video vision, people still said the woman should have minded her own business.
So, just when should people make a stand when appalling behaviour is being presented?

The Dude apologised.
The Dude did not refute any of the claims.
If it was not what had occurred, The Dude and his club would have fought their corner by minimising the claims (as we've seen with every other case of footballers behaving badly in the past).
It was a straight-out apology, with no other comment from the club or party involved, which is pretty rare in these cases.
Seems like he did something wrong.

Yeah, he stated that he shouldn't have been drunk, anything on top of that is deemed as inappropriate, perhaps he didn't want to draw it out and become a he said, she said thing.

He did not say "I'm sorry for my aggressive behaviour towards a woman", it's of my opinion that she was getting her 5 minutes of fame as he was an easy target.

I'm not a Richmond supporter (my heart wouldn't handle it), I don't particularly like Dustin Martin, but it does annoy me how they have to live in a shell, who hasn't been slightly loud in a bar? It's generally the bar staff or manager that will tell the patrons to keep it down a little.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:49 am

I understand your thoughts and why you, and others, would think that - particularly in this hyper-sensitive media-driven world in which we now live and all profess to be annoyed by.
But, my belief, from observing incident responses (ie: spin) of large organisations, is that this is harm minimisation. Apologise for something you've done, straight away. But never apologise for something you didn't do.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 am

I'm not saying either of us is right or wrong, by the way.
I'm just saying how I've come to my conclusion in this situation.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:11 pm

It would've been funnier if she was a midget.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:17 pm

People aren't potting Martin because it's politically correct. They are potting him because he threatened someone with violence, which to my understanding IS assault. Abuse is not just physical whether you like to admit it or not. But once again in this forum people come up with victim blaming comments (as when the Hawk rape allegations were made public) which are pretty puzzling and disappointing.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:41 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:People aren't potting Martin because it's politically correct. They are potting him because he threatened someone with violence, which to my understanding IS assault. Abuse is not just physical whether you like to admit it or not. But once again in this forum people come up with victim blaming comments (as when the Hawk rape allegations were made public) which are pretty puzzling and disappointing.

regards,

REB

It's the manner of how the threats were made is what I'm questioning, if it was deemed to be threatening enough to be classified as a criminal offence then I'm quite happy to pack my boot and drive off to the sunset.
If you're going to accuse someone of the actions that she has, she should lay charges.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:44 pm

Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Magellan » Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:04 pm

The description in that ad is pretty funny.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL