AFL Womens League

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL Womens League

Postby dogbreath » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:18 pm

Just wait and see. I bet the AFL plough the money into a national Womens league instead of investing in grass-roots development.
The standard of football played in the SANFL Reserves comp would be 300% better than that crap.

However as always the AFL will want to appeal to the femal clientele from the marketing perspective.

Start an AFL Lingerie League and I'll change my opinion :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihbIEC2ysE
dogbreath
Member
 
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:08 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby prowling panther » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:27 am

Have to agree with you db, the afl will invest the money, they will not want to be seen as a non-politically correct organization, they will cop it from 360 degrees.
Be better to throw the money up in the air for all the good it will do them
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
User avatar
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1353
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:04 am
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:33 am

dogbreath wrote:Just wait and see. I bet the AFL plough the money into a national Womens league instead of investing in grass-roots development.
The standard of football played in the SANFL Reserves comp would be 300% better than that crap.

However as always the AFL will want to appeal to the femal clientele from the marketing perspective.

Start an AFL Lingerie League and I'll change my opinion :?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AihbIEC2ysE



Thanks for coming out of your cave to post on this. Clearly equality is not a word that features in your vocabulary.

You seem to be having a self gratifying epiphany. It has been widely reported in all forms of media that there will be an AFL women's comp in The next 2-3 years. It is happening, it is no secret. It doesn't mean grassroots funding will be reduced. The 2 billion dollar TV deal might suggest there will be a little bit of coin to make football a little more inclusive.

The club you listed Centrals had two women's girls teams debut on the weekend. Pretty sure women's football can also be an investment in grassroots.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
User avatar
wristwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Adelaide Oval. The happiest place on earth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 837 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Apachebulldog » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:35 pm

Just PC rubbish.

Let them have their own league call it the AWFL ( Australian Womens Football League).

I won't be spending my hard earned money to watch rubbish.

How about spending the cash on a truly Reserves comp and also grass roots football,
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
User avatar
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21
 
 
Posts: 2307
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:05 pm
Location: On the prairie
Has liked: 345 times
Been liked: 113 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby LPH » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:22 pm

I for one am pleased there is a push for a Women's League.
As a parent of a daughter who is playing (& really enjoying) Australian Rules Football, I am pleased there will be a pathway for Females to further themselves in the sport.
Not sure why there is 'opposition' to it, personally.
Of course it won't be the 'same' as Male Competitions but it doesn't need to be. I think the AFL is smart to invest in a Women's Competition, it gives them another 'target market'. They won't play a full season, but I can certainly see them playing 10 to 12 games throughout the season as Curtain Raisers to AFL Games. A 7 or 8 team competition is a real possibility - 1 in SA, 1 in WA, 3 in Victoria, 2 in NSW (including Canberra), 1 in QLD.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
User avatar
LPH
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 2455
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:45 am
Location: Craven Cottage
Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby whufc » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:59 pm

LPH wrote:I for one am pleased there is a push for a Women's League.
As a parent of a daughter who is playing (& really enjoying) Australian Rules Football, I am pleased there will be a pathway for Females to further themselves in the sport.
Not sure why there is 'opposition' to it, personally.
Of course it won't be the 'same' as Male Competitions but it doesn't need to be. I think the AFL is smart to invest in a Women's Competition, it gives them another 'target market'. They won't play a full season, but I can certainly see them playing 10 to 12 games throughout the season as Curtain Raisers to AFL Games. A 7 or 8 team competition is a real possibility - 1 in SA, 1 in WA, 3 in Victoria, 2 in NSW (including Canberra), 1 in QLD.


Im not sure if people are against women having their own comp, i think there is just some people who believe the amount being spent to set up a womens comp could be 'better' spent on other areas of australian rules football. FWIW im happy for their to be a womens comp.
Last edited by whufc on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 23194
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4181 times
Been liked: 1832 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby dogbreath » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:24 pm

whufc wrote:
LPH wrote:I for one am pleased there is a push for a Women's League.
As a parent of a daughter who is playing (& really enjoying) Australian Rules Football, I am pleased there will be a pathway for Females to further themselves in the sport.
Not sure why there is 'opposition' to it, personally.
Of course it won't be the 'same' as Male Competitions but it doesn't need to be. I think the AFL is smart to invest in a Women's Competition, it gives them another 'target market'. They won't play a full season, but I can certainly see them playing 10 to 12 games throughout the season as Curtain Raisers to AFL Games. A 7 or 8 team competition is a real possibility - 1 in SA, 1 in WA, 3 in Victoria, 2 in NSW (including Canberra), 1 in QLD.


Im not sure if people are against women having their own comp, i think there is just some people who believe the amount being spent to set up a womens comp could be 'better' spent on other areas of australian rules football.


My thoughts entirely WHUFC.

Having said that I still feel the hard contact sports are better left to the men and no place for the fairer sex. e.g. Football, Rugby, Boxing.
However each to their own.
Let's just not waste valuable dollars on it that would be better spent else where.
dogbreath
Member
 
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:08 pm
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 24 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Agree that the $ could be better spent. Novelty will wear off very quickly from a public interest point of view.
SAFC- 57 years...
StKFC- 55 years..
User avatar
saintal
Coach
 
 
Posts: 5428
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2006 9:31 pm
Location: Adelaide Hills
Has liked: 313 times
Been liked: 381 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:12 pm

Given the ever increasing level of participation of women in amateur football this is a great investment in grassroots football.

Will need to be well marketed. Look at what the UFC and Ronda Rousey have done for women's MMA and you know it can work.
User avatar
Q.
Coach
 
 
Posts: 22017
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:16 pm
Location: El Dorado
Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2394 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:23 pm

Apachebulldog wrote:Just PC rubbish.

Let them have their own league call it the AWFL ( Australian Womens Football League).

I won't be spending my hard earned money to watch rubbish.

How about spending the cash on a truly Reserves comp and also grass roots football,



I guess anyone is entitled to an opinion on these forums and it doesn't need to be based on knowledge, facts or reason.

It's actually not even worth trying to explain to you the benefits of inclusive program's, diversification and creating footballing program's and opportunities for the fastest growing version of sport in our country.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
User avatar
wristwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Adelaide Oval. The happiest place on earth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 837 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby human_torpedo » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:38 am

Explaining the reasons why a Womens comp would be more beneficial than a Reserves comp would be akin to banging my head against a wall and expecting to not get a headache..

If you think the AFL will pile money into a Reserves comp that will garner no profitable return for them, rather than tap into a massive potential growth market that is women in AFL, then you're kidding yourself. It makes no sense. Just because you wont watch it doesn't mean plenty of others wont. and if it grows participation in our game then its more than worthwhile
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer
 
 
Posts: 1210
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:47 am
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Booney » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 am

I'm assuming those on here know how much the AFL is spending on this?

whufc wrote:
Im not sure if people are against women having their own comp, i think there is just some people who believe the amount being spent to set up a womens comp could be 'better' spent on other areas of australian rules football. FWIW im happy for their to be a womens comp.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 52497
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6064 times
Been liked: 8997 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:11 am

human_torpedo wrote:Explaining the reasons why a Womens comp would be more beneficial than a Reserves comp would be akin to banging my head against a wall and expecting to not get a headache..

If you think the AFL will pile money into a Reserves comp that will garner no profitable return for them, rather than tap into a massive potential growth market that is women in AFL, then you're kidding yourself. It makes no sense. Just because you wont watch it doesn't mean plenty of others wont. and if it grows participation in our game then its more than worthwhile



Well said =D>

It's not going to be an 18 team x 22 week season anyway. It's more likely to be an 6 week x 6 team first season whilst they continue to invest in grass roots and junior development to cater for ever growing talent pool.

The facts a few male chauvinists won't watch it and bag it on a forum will do zero to curtail the enthusiasm for the growth and development. There are more females than males in this country and giving them a pinnacle for their pathway will grow not just their game but the AFL as well.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
User avatar
wristwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Adelaide Oval. The happiest place on earth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 837 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:21 am

a topic such as this certainly brings the mouth breathers out in force :D
User avatar
bennymacca
Coach
 
 
Posts: 15028
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 12:22 pm
Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:26 am

bennymacca wrote:a topic such as this certainly brings the mouth breathers out in force :D



:lol: :lol: :lol:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
User avatar
wristwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Adelaide Oval. The happiest place on earth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 837 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby stan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:27 am

Apachebulldog wrote:Just PC rubbish.

Let them have their own league call it the AWFL ( Australian Womens Football League).

I won't be spending my hard earned money to watch rubbish.

How about spending the cash on a truly Reserves comp and also grass roots football,

And thats your choice mate. Fair enough.

But they wont spend money on a reserves comp because in there mind the current system works. Regardless of how we all feel about the issue the AFL don't give a rats tossbag because if its not hurting there bottom line then they dont care.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 1027 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby stan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:31 am

Booney wrote:I'm assuming those on here know how much the AFL is spending on this?

whufc wrote:
Im not sure if people are against women having their own comp, i think there is just some people who believe the amount being spent to set up a womens comp could be 'better' spent on other areas of australian rules football. FWIW im happy for their to be a womens comp.

Well that's ot isn't it. We have NFI how much money is going where really.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 1027 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby stan » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:35 am

wristwatcher wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Explaining the reasons why a Womens comp would be more beneficial than a Reserves comp would be akin to banging my head against a wall and expecting to not get a headache..

If you think the AFL will pile money into a Reserves comp that will garner no profitable return for them, rather than tap into a massive potential growth market that is women in AFL, then you're kidding yourself. It makes no sense. Just because you wont watch it doesn't mean plenty of others wont. and if it grows participation in our game then its more than worthwhile



Well said =D>

It's not going to be an 18 team x 22 week season anyway. It's more likely to be an 6 week x 6 team first season whilst they continue to invest in grass roots and junior development to cater for ever growing talent pool.

The facts a few male chauvinists won't watch it and bag it on a forum will do zero to curtail the enthusiasm for the growth and development. There are more females than males in this country and giving them a pinnacle for their pathway will grow not just their game but the AFL as well.

Its about gettinh women in to the game more.

I agree with you about the format that iy will start small.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
User avatar
stan
Coach
 
 
Posts: 13695
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am
Location: North Eastern Suburbs
Has liked: 86 times
Been liked: 1027 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:37 am

saintal wrote:Agree that the $ could be better spent. Novelty will wear off very quickly from a public interest point of view.



Just to clarify. The new fans and supporters that Female Football attracts of the Female variety will lose interest in their own code? With this thought process the Olympics would still be all male competitors :roll:

Again it's an opinion and it's not an offensive one so fair play to you but if you look at just one stat...The fastest growing sport in this country then surely you can appreciate the importance and relevance of creating an elite pathway as seen in most other sports in this country. There are now All-girls Auskicks to start the pathway, it stands to reason the girls have more than one AFL game a year to culminate their pathway.

I admit the male interest will eb and flow but if you watched any of the Dogs v Demons game you would have seen this is fair dinkum football and they don't play for frees :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
User avatar
wristwatcher
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6882
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:50 pm
Location: Adelaide Oval. The happiest place on earth
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 837 times

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby tipper » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:24 pm

personally i dont see what this thread is doing in the SANFL section. shouldnt it be moved into the AFl area if it is an afl womens league?
tipper
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:45 am
Has liked: 341 times
Been liked: 443 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests