SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL Player Movements - 2015 / 2016

Postby arcadefire » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Advertiser article mentions that Essendon have contacted West Adelaide about some of their players
arcadefire
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 33 times

Postby Second Team » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 pm

arcadefire wrote:Advertiser article mentions that Essendon have contacted West Adelaide about some of their players

Where does it say that. Take bloody Norwood players. :shock: :shock: :shock:
Second Team
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 18 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:28 pm

Second Team wrote:
arcadefire wrote:Advertiser article mentions that Essendon have contacted West Adelaide about some of their players

Only allowed to take 1 player from each side max. I know Zac O'Brien's name is high on the list at Essendon, havnt heard many other SANFL players names mentioned
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 pm

Second Team wrote:

It says it in the article, The west official quoted is Andrew Marks.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 pm

I cant access the article - I refuse to pay $$$ for Murdochs rag and the online story is blocked for me as a result: Jim05 > is it in this article it mentions 1 player per club max?
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby DOC » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:53 pm

ESSENDON has contacted reigning SANFL premier West Adelaide as it begins its nationwide search for 10 top-up players to bolster its depleted list this year.

The AFL Commission granted the Bombers permission to add to its squad after the Court of Arbitration for Sport handed down season-long anti-doping bans to 12 Essendon players this week.

West football manager Andrew Marks said a Bombers official called him on Wednesday night to “touch base” about three players.

Marks would not reveal the identity of the players.

But with Essendon tipped to target players who were recently on AFL lists, captain Chris Schmidt (ex-Brisbane/Adelaide) and recruits Trent Stubbs (Collingwood) and Zac O’Brien (Brisbane) might come under consideration.

“They were just inquiring about some of our players ... and how they were training,” Marks said.

“There was nothing in concrete, nothing definite, just ‘how are they going?’”

Officials from Central District, Glenelg, Sturt, North Adelaide, Norwood, South Adelaide and Woodville-West Torrens yesterday told The Advertiser they had not been contacted by the Bombers.

. AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said Essendon would be allowed to sign only one player from any club, though it could recruit multiple players from the Bombers’ VFL side.

The league has not set a timeline for Essendon to sign the 10 players but the club was expected to do so in the next fortnight.

Marks said the Bloods had not yet discussed the prospect of losing one of its best players midway through pre-season.

“It’s all happened so quickly,” he said.

Player manager Michael Doughty, of Elite Sports Properties, expected Essendon to recruit mature footballers with AFL experience.

He identified Sturt’s Brodie Martin, Scott McMahon and Aidan Riley, North’s Matt McDonough and Central’s Nick Holman as players who met that criteria.

All five were on AFL lists last season.

Roosters chief executive Greg Edwards said his club had not heard from Essendon and was unsure if it would.

“Fingers crossed we can keep our squad together,” Edwards said.

Earlier this week, the SANFL released a statement saying Essendon needed to contact the league or clubs during the recruitment process, rather than players directly.

Essendon recruited the Eagles’ Jared Petrenko and North’s Mitch Clisby among 13 its top-up players for the 2015 NAB Cup while 26 Bombers sat out the competition amid the drugs saga.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby Mark_Beswick » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:01 pm

Thanks DOC
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Been liked: 13 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:14 pm

Mark_Beswick wrote:I cant access the article - I refuse to pay $$$ for Murdochs rag and the online story is blocked for me as a result: Jim05 > is it in this article it mentions 1 player per club max?

Havnt read the article, just knew that the 1 player per club rule was announced by the club yesterday
Jim05
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 am

Jim05 wrote:
Mark_Beswick wrote:I cant access the article - I refuse to pay $$$ for Murdochs rag and the online story is blocked for me as a result: Jim05 > is it in this article it mentions 1 player per club max?

Havnt read the article, just knew that the 1 player per club rule was announced by the club yesterday

Yep only 1 from each club. I would say O'Brien would be odds on at West.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:43 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle Presbury is one of those who disappears to Essendon as a top-up player.

Clearly my assumption was wrong here.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby oyster » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:34 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Havnt read the article, just knew that the 1 player per club rule was announced by the club yesterday[/quote

I don't see why there should be only 1 player from each of the SANFL clubs? The SANFL clubs should be happy to promote their players to playing the highest level possible. The SANFL clubs should want their players to achieve the highest level they can personally play. It's about the players welfare and not about the SANFL club surely.
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

Postby RB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:03 pm

It's pretty late in the off season to be losing players, and it would give the other clubs an advantage if multiple players were taken from one club at this late stage.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:14 am

oyster wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Havnt read the article, just knew that the 1 player per club rule was announced by the club yesterday[/quote

I don't see why there should be only 1 player from each of the SANFL clubs? The SANFL clubs should be happy to promote their players to playing the highest level possible. The SANFL clubs should want their players to achieve the highest level they can personally play. It's about the players welfare and not about the SANFL club surely.

There shouldn't be any bloody players from any SANFL clubs.
Why should SANFL clubs suffer because of Essendon's drug cheats. **** em off, they have a reserves team, let them choose players from there.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:24 am

oyster wrote:I don't see why there should be only 1 player from each of the SANFL clubs? The SANFL clubs should be happy to promote their players to playing the highest level possible. The SANFL clubs should want their players to achieve the highest level they can personally play. It's about the players welfare and not about the SANFL club surely.

I'm guessing oyster doesn't have a genuine allegiance to an SANFL club.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:45 am

Yep - the AFL obviously very concerned about the impact to State League clubs by limiting to one player from any club, and having have to have played in the AFL within the last two years.

Further inspection of the fine print however reveals that both criteria can be ignored if the AFL sees fit to approve... will be very interesting to see how that pans out.
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49 am

Hazydog wrote:Yep - the AFL obviously very concerned about the impact to State League clubs by limiting to one player from any club, and having have to have played in the AFL within the last two years.

Further inspection of the fine print however reveals that both criteria can be ignored if the AFL sees fit to approve... will be very interesting to see how that pans out.

"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:57 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
oyster wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

There shouldn't be any bloody players from any SANFL clubs.
Why should SANFL clubs suffer because of Essendon's drug cheats. **** em off, they have a reserves team, let them choose players from there.

Why should a player miss out on an opportunity because an SANFL club can't cope with replacing 1 player? Would hate to tell a young kid I was trying to deny his chance at a dream job.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:00 pm

Hazydog wrote:Yep - the AFL obviously very concerned about the impact to State League clubs by limiting to one player from any club, and having have to have played in the AFL within the last two years.

From what I understand there will be very few if any taken from the SANFL. A heap of guys from our VFL side are trying out and there is 4 or 5 senior guys being spoken to such as Crowley, Kelly etc
Jim05
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:27 pm

Jim05 wrote:

From what I understand there will be very few if any taken from the SANFL. A heap of guys from our VFL side are trying out and there is 4 or 5 senior guys being spoken to such as Crowley, Kelly etc

Time will tell I guess - although I thought Worsfold was quoted as saying he'd prefer blokes who had been in the AFL system (from a fitness base perspective) so not sure that the VFL players would meet that criteria?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby oyster » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:19 pm

Magellan wrote:
oyster wrote:I don't see why there should be only 1 player from each of the SANFL clubs? The SANFL clubs should be happy to promote their players to playing the highest level possible. The SANFL clubs should want their players to achieve the highest level they can personally play. It's about the players welfare and not about the SANFL club surely.

I'm guessing oyster doesn't have a genuine allegiance to an SANFL club.

Actually I do.

I would prefer that the young player realises his potential and his dream of playing in the AFL rather being held back because of some rule.

Let the young players realise their dream of playing at the highest possible level. All leagues outside of the AFL are meant to be feeder leagues to the AFL, so that players can fulfil their dreams of playing in the highest competition in the land. It would be selfish of SANFL clubs to hold players back
oyster
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 20 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL