Round 7 stuff

Talk on the national game

Round 7 stuff

Postby Booney » Fri May 15, 2015 10:25 am

Well round 7 is with us tipsters, punters and half of the footballing world is ready to move on from round 6 where upset after upset made the use of my “joker” ( double points ) a waste of my tipping time....

Friday night kicks off with the Bombers and the Roos under the roof at the “Insert current corporate logo here” Stadium. Just when we thought it was all over, WADA come along and exhume the corpse that was and apparently still is the Essendon drug scandal. I’ve already spent enough time on this one. We all have. WADA might try and muscle some people into fessing up, the people who need to fess up are keeping QC’s on the payroll for fun. This should be interesting...*snores*. The Roos come back from Tasmania after kicking the Tigers off the park, Brad Scott showing the players how to kick truly. Problem was, there was a guard in the way, with his angry face on and arms waving around Scott didn’t see him. Either that or he didn’t care, or it didn’t happen. I expect this one to take several years to get to the bottom of. On field this one might be a tight battle, the Dons are looking short of run, the Kangas have hardly been convincing in recent outings but winning form is good form and the Bombers are returning from a whacking in Perth. I think the Roos might get over the line here in a tight one by 15 points.

The Crows host the Sainters this week after two contrasting games last week. Adelaide beat up the Gold Coast Suns reserves and St Kilda came back from 55 points down against the Bulldogs. They really should be canonized, they were dead and buried and come back to steal the points. If that isn’t a miracle I’m buggered if I know what is. Adelaide flew out of the blocks, as one, only to hit a little rough patch against the Bulldogs and Port and have since suffered more injuries. Their medical room would be busy, like a one armed juggler. Sloane and Douglas are missing for 4-6weeks which gives a couple of kids a chance to step up. Rumour has it St Kilda are set to make a huge play at Rory Sloane who is out of contract, it might back fire on the Saints this week if they end up 9 goals down again. “$1.2m to go there? No thanks”. The Saints will come here with some confidence, but I don’t think enough talent to beat an Adelaide ship that is just righting itself after a rough few weeks at sea. Adelaide by 32 points.

The Hawks, the Hawks. They’re 3-3 with injuries galore ( again ) and I for one couldn’t care any less. The Giants shocked them last week, two weeks after Port shocked them, two weeks after Essendon shocked them. They’ve showed some cracks are opening up in their midfield, the defence is under manned and two leaders took themselves out of the side for 3 weeks. They’re a happy team at Hawthorn? I doubt it. Poor old Melbourne get Hawthorn on the rebound the week after they got Sydney on rebound, then they get Fremantle. I hope Fremantle lose this week then. Nice draw. Melbourne have wielded the axe and dropped Jack Watts, that will hurt their structure. He’s an important player. No really, he’s not, he’s much maligned though and he should sue Melbourne for taking him at #1, it’s not his fault they ballsed it up. You would think the Hawks win this in a canter, they might, they might not, but I think they’ll win. 40 points.

The headline machine that is Carlton host the Giants this week and I’ve got a feeling this one is going to be ugly. Well, uglier than all the other Carlton games so far this year anyway which is hard to imagine, I know. The Giants are coming hard and fast, Leon Cameron had big wraps on him as an “assistant” to Sheeds over the last few years and his coaching staff have the Giants kids playing a fast and exciting brand of footy that many sides will be left standing and watching. Meanwhile Carlton pretty much stand and watch. Some Carlton fans stand up and walk out. Some call for Micks head. Some are looking to see who plays Australia in the Test matches this summer. It’s pretty bad at Carlton in case you haven’t heard. It’s pretty funny to watch though. Under the roof the slick Giants will be too fast for Carlton and I’ve got a gut feel this one will be a big win to the Giants. 69 points. Dinner for two.

Sydney head out the not so happy hunting ground at ANZ to host the Catters. The agreement to play games out at ANZ expires soon ( end of 2016 ) and everybody will be happier for it. The patch work quilt surface, the train ride out there, the ground being as wide as it is long. Nothing is good about ANZ. The Catters shocked the Pies last Friday night with an opening quarter blitz that reminded us all that they still have some real talent, grunt and finishing ability. The bloke who punted $15,000 @ $1.58 on the Pies last week must still be wondering how the hell he came across $15,000 while being such an idiot. Don’t back against the Cats, just yet. Not with your money anyway. The Swans took care of business in Melbourne over Melbourne so it’s tough to judge form lines on the back of last week. If anything, Geelongs form from last weeks looks better, Sydneys looks better across the season. Sydney will be looking to big Tippo and Buddy to make an impact on this one. I think the Swans at home, but with no confidence. Sydney by 14 points.

Over in Perth the Eagles host the Suns. Now, the Eagles were good last week, really good around the stoppages and in contested ball situations. They beat Port in close, the recipe to beating Port. Keep the ball off them, don’t allow any quick release of the ball from congestion and break to score in space. They executed that perfectly and I didn’t think they had it in them. They do and shouldn’t be underestimated. The Gold Coast bring some of the brew crew back for this one after club imposed suspensions left them with half the squad sitting in the bar. That would have been great entertainment, if the suspended blokes had gathered on the hill to watch the Suns lose to Adelaide. The Suns have barely got going this year and a trip to Perth to face a Eagles team full of confidence and run isn’t exactly perfect timing. I think the Eagles take the choccies here. By 29 points.

The Doggies would have reviewed the second half from last week against the Saints, sobbed a little, threw the DVD away and went out on the track. They’d be smarting from that one and will be very keen to bounce back and impress against the ladder leading water side workers from Perth. Fremantle are on song early, winning games by setting up big leads and then closing the opposition down. The Dogs like to run, run, run and the Dockers like to stop, stop, stop. This could be the match of the round if both sides bring their best. While the Dogs have surprised many this year this might just give all footy watchers a real glimpse of what the immediate and longer term future is for the Doggies. One game doesn’t make a season, but after giving 4 points away last week they’d be wanting to make a good account of themselves this week. I expect Fremantle to take the points here, but as the first 6 rounds have shown us anything is possible. Fremantle by 19 points.

Richmond have been rubbish the last 3 weeks. So much so in fact that Troy Chaplin has told them all to grow up and man up. Things are shit when he’s telling you to toughen up. The bloke who sent an email to his former Port team mates telling them they don’t work hard enough. “You get what you deserve” is a line used at Alberton lots, I hope Chaplin hears it. A lot. The Pies would have thought they were set to go 5-1 last week up against the Catters and simply didn’t see the first quarter coming at them. While many question the quality of opposition the Pies had beaten ( Carlton, Essendon, St Kilda, Brisbane ) you can only beat who is put in front of you and this season is shaping to be closer than any in recent memory so a wins, a wins, a win. And this week should be another win for the Pies. Richmond can’t get scores on the board, 10, 11 and 6 goals in the last 3 weeks after 20 odd over the hapless Bears. Collingwood have more riding on this one, Richmond are down and nearly out at 2-4 with a trip to Adelaide to play Port next week. 2-6 will see their season over, unless they win 15 on the trot and make a surprise finals appearance. Like that can happen! Collingwood by 40 points.

The last game of the round on Sunday evening ( Port, again! The third of four Sunday 4:40 matches in a row ) is up in Brisvegas where the triumphant Bears return home after a successful sortie to Melbourne to beat the Blues. Port are travelling with the horrid taste of last weeks loss at home to West Coast in the mouth as well as the media circus distraction that has been the Kane Cornes retirement / last couple of matches / fire brigade story. Port have left Bobby Carlile at home with a sore back, I think it’s because Brisbane have no key forwards, but it says “back” in the paper. Despite last weeks win the Bears have returned to their natural habitat of the 90’s at the foot of the ladder and will struggle to hold a Port side looking to bounce back from a home loss. Brisbane have their own off field dramas. A kid in his second season is unwilling to sing on again, the CEO reakons he’s gone and worse luck for the lad, Carlton are chasing him. My advice would be stay in Brisbane young Mr Aish. Sure, you won’t see many more wins than you would at Carlton but the sunshine isn’t worth leaving. Port win, win well. By 58 points.

Take that for what it’s worth, last week got you 4, 4 bloody winners.

While all this is taking place I’ll be at the swim up bar somewhere in Thailand filling up on Singha’s for the next week and half. So footy will be replaced with ping pong, but it’s fair to say I won’t be getting involved in a kick and catch after that game is finished. It’s with great sadness I won’t be offering a preview next week. Easy people, keep the cheering and applause to a minimum. Thanks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7520 times
Been liked: 10822 times

Re: Round 7 stuff

Postby JK » Fri May 15, 2015 11:44 am

Good job mate, a solid 8 winners there ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 15, 2015 12:39 pm

I can't believe how short North Melbourne are.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 15, 2015 12:44 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I can't believe how short North Melbourne are.

They probably should be, we are in terrible form ATM and just dont score enough for all the hard work. If North kick 10 goals they will probably win, Carlisle also likely to miss so firepower upfront will be even worse than it currently is
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3563 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Arch44 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Mcevoy out and Hale in for the hawks. Hammy but hopefully just precautionary for the swans next week.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 275 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:44 pm

Sydney 40+
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11919 times
Been liked: 3631 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri May 15, 2015 5:42 pm

Essendon back in the shit = a win over North tonight.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1820 times

Round 7 stuff

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 15, 2015 7:05 pm

Carlisle out, McKernan in lol
We are proper ****!
Jim05
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Essendon looking good
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby stan » Fri May 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Jim05 wrote:Carlisle out, McKernan in lol
We are proper ****!

Yeah. .......
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 15, 2015 9:04 pm

Really enjoyed this Bombers v Kangaroos game so far, intensity and pressure from both teams has been great.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10390 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 9:05 pm

The Dark Knight wrote:Really enjoyed this Bombers v Kangaroos game so far, intensity and pressure from both teams has been great.

It has, but these both teams lack any sort of polish.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Terrible call. Essendon mark not paid in goal square. Nth run it down the other end and goal.
helicopterking
Coach

Round 7 stuff

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:10 pm

Listening on radio it sounds like they are getting a fair ride of it
Last edited by Jim05 on Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Fri May 15, 2015 9:11 pm

Didn't control it enough
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 9:14 pm

Jim05 wrote:Listening on radio it sounds like they are getting a fair ride of it

Yep, you could say that. But Nth have missed some easy shots aswell.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri May 15, 2015 9:17 pm

helicopterking wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Really enjoyed this Bombers v Kangaroos game so far, intensity and pressure from both teams has been great.

It has, but these both teams lack any sort of polish.

Yes, the finishing skills haven't been great. Both teams have been quite wasteful going into forward 50.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10390 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby RustyCage » Fri May 15, 2015 9:19 pm

Kangas kicking away now. To say Essendon need the next goal is an understatement
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby helicopterking » Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 pm

And they get it.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby David Brent » Fri May 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Port must be glad they lost Jacobs he is having a stinker
If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.
David Brent
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 161 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL