Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:41 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Well if we wanna talk footy :lol: Im still un decided on where AFC fits on the premiership table. I think our best is capable of being top 6 but our worst is stiiiinky. For me Walsh's test for this year is closing the gap between our best and worst footy and getting games into/developing the likes of M Crouch, Lever, Grigg, Cameron I think we fit in the 6-10 position but injuries will play a large part as our midfield and key defender depth is extremely thin.

yep.

if we can cut out our worst 10% of performances we will play finals - we would have done that this year.

at our best we are still nowhere near the top 4 teams though, i think making the finals will be about right

yep certainly not a top 4 side, I should have said capable of 4-6 rather than top 6. I think we will fit in the 7/8th spot should we have a bit of luck injury wise and minimise our worst performances.

I like that Walsh has said he doesnt think we have all the ingredients yet to be a threat yet... some may say he did this to reduce some pressure off him however the facts are pretty clear to anyone with half a footy brain.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby MW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:43 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
MW wrote:Batten down the hatches, the Crows are doing something positive for their fans (yes, customers) so cue the haters :roll: :roll:

I have seen in the past 3 months the club being far more accessible/open to the fans. Port lead the way in this area over the past 2 years. There is no harm in learning from rivals. I have watched the numerous videos already posted on the AFC website and feel far more connected than in previous seasons.

I totally agree. My point is every time the Crows do something good for their fans, people go mental and bag it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2623 times
Been liked: 1858 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:44 pm

MW wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:
MW wrote:Batten down the hatches, the Crows are doing something positive for their fans (yes, customers) so cue the haters :roll: :roll:

I have seen in the past 3 months the club being far more accessible/open to the fans. Port lead the way in this area over the past 2 years. There is no harm in learning from rivals. I have watched the numerous videos already posted on the AFC website and feel far more connected than in previous seasons.

I totally agree. My point is every time the Crows do something good for their fans, people go mental and bag it.

If you can point me in the direction of the last time they did something good, I'd appreciate it. 8)

( Just winding you up mate )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby MW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:45 pm

good for "their" fans... ;)
MW
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Well if we wanna talk footy :lol: Im still un decided on where AFC fits on the premiership table. I think our best is capable of being top 6 but our worst is stiiiinky. For me Walsh's test for this year is closing the gap between our best and worst footy and getting games into/developing the likes of M Crouch, Lever, Grigg, Cameron I think we fit in the 6-10 position but injuries will play a large part as our midfield and key defender depth is extremely thin.

Defence is your soft under belly. Talia will get dragged away from the back half by his opponent leaving the under sized Cheney to be the key post, with no third man up in Talia.

Unless Hartigan or Shaw get fit and on the park soon, with the loss of Otten as the mid/tall, you're screwed against the top 3-5 that have 2 KPP forwards and a couple of mid/talls.

Pods might have to spend time behind the ball.... :lol:

Agreed, for me Hartigan is the key, we need him to develop this pre season. Cant have Talia and Cheney as the 2 key defenders. I liked what I saw of Hartigan 1 on 1, just his disposal was ordinary. Shaw for me hasnt come on like i would have thought, his disposal is also below average.

Pods in defence could be an option and one I dont mind. Unsure if it will happen though, I reckon he will give lever a crack at some stage, even though he will need a bit of time coming off an ACL
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:46 pm

reckon if lever is fit he plays round 1
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby MW » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:48 pm

big call. there would be a lot of p1ssed off defenders (Hartigan, Shaw) if he gets the nod on rd 1 over them
MW
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

Adelaide are making the right noises, no doubt about that. Walsh leading the way externally and Fagan pushing buttons internally. You're on the right path, for sure.

Certainly heading in the right direction, mind you I dont think we really dropped off massively. We certainly dropped the ball the past 3 seasons though. Trigg probably should have been moved on earlier, im not a Trigg basher but i think his tenure was long and he became insular and lost sight or what the fans wanted and what other clubs were doing. Just signing up 45k+ members each year doesnt cut it anymore and he failed to realise that.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:49 pm

Footy Smart wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

yep.

if we can cut out our worst 10% of performances we will play finals - we would have done that this year.

at our best we are still nowhere near the top 4 teams though, i think making the finals will be about right

yep certainly not a top 4 side, I should have said capable of 4-6 rather than top 6. I think we will fit in the 7/8th spot should we have a bit of luck injury wise and minimise our worst performances.

I like that Walsh has said he doesnt think we have all the ingredients yet to be a threat yet... some may say he did this to reduce some pressure off him however the facts are pretty clear to anyone with half a footy brain.

Once more the reliance on Jacobs will be immense. If he goes down at all, you're looking to Jenkins and Lowden.

If Jenkins moves away from CHF, Pods becomes more important and I think we saw him slow down last year and really struggle at ground level.

I always think of the players who should be out the team and if they're in the team it means you're in trouble or below your best. For mine, Adelaides are Podsiadly, Brown, Lowden. If those three are in, regularly, you're down on personnel too far to be a serious challenger.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:reckon if lever is fit he plays round 1

He hasnt played for 12 months and is 18 years old. He hasnt done any match simulation yet either. I liked what i saw on his highlights vid but reckon he will play the last half of the season at most.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:51 pm

he isnt restricted in pre season at all though is he?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:57 pm

I always think of the players who should be out the team and if they're in the team it means you're in trouble or below your best. For mine, Adelaides are Podsiadly, Brown, Lowden. If those three are in, regularly, you're down on personnel too far to be a serious challenger.

I agree with this theory Boon, although I thought Pods actually played his role well last year. Ofcourse he made a few mistakes but even in a successful Geelong side he was prone to a brian fade. For me when blokes like Lyons, Wirght and Ellis Yolmen play we are cooked. Brown I think has the tools to be a solid lock down small defender although he had a horror year form/confidence wise.

My Hawks mate who also watches Box Hill games, reckons Lowden will certainly keep Jenkins honest in his position. Time will tell on that i spose.

As a whole, our side doesnt kick the ball well resulting in turnovers/goals. This also needs improving
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:he isnt restricted in pre season at all though is he?

no but they havent started match simulation just yet.... well going from what i have heard/read in an article he was quoted in. I think when they start that it will be his first competative work
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:05 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

I agree with this theory Boon, although I thought Pods actually played his role well last year. Ofcourse he made a few mistakes but even in a successful Geelong side he was prone to a brian fade. For me when blokes like Lyons, Wirght and Ellis Yolmen play we are cooked. Brown I think has the tools to be a solid lock down small defender although he had a horror year form/confidence wise.

My Hawks mate who also watches Box Hill games, reckons Lowden will certainly keep Jenkins honest in his position. Time will tell on that i spose.

As a whole, our side doesnt kick the ball well resulting in turnovers/goals. This also needs improving

IMO, Pods is done. Part of his strength while at his best was his mobility. This is the first thing that goes with age. He might still have the motor to run up and down, but the lateral movement and efforts and ground level will hurt him.

I think Adelaide will be looking at Lowden as a third tall option with relief for Jacobs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:08 pm

Pods isn't the player he was, but I still think he provides the Crows with a bit structurally and is good enough to be in their side when needed. Players like Brown, Wright, Shaw etc, fringe types that need to elevate their game will have to do so quickly under Walsh I think.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Didnt Jacobs pick up a medial strain at training last week?
Would think he would miss 3-4 weeks of training which would set him back a little
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:33 pm

Jim05 wrote:Didnt Jacobs pick up a medial strain at training last week?
Would think he would miss 3-4 weeks of training which would set him back a little

yeah week or so ago think, so should be back shortly. Certainly need him up and running for 95% f the season atleast
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:50 pm

JK wrote:Pods isn't the player he was, but I still think he provides the Crows with a bit structurally and is good enough to be in their side when needed. Players like Brown, Wright, Shaw etc, fringe types that need to elevate their game will have to do so quickly under Walsh I think.

I think football is going through a small evolution, as it does, with Hawthorn the best exponent ( derr ) and Port right behind. Fast transition from the back half, versatility with your forward half to cope with the quick transition and mobility to get up and back the key, with many goals scored "out the back".

Pods is smart, so he'll position himself well, but his ability to continually get "up and back" could make him a liability in the way of the likes of Walker, Jenkins and the more mobile Lynch. I can't see Adelaide playing all 4 of them and Lynch is the link man, Jenkins the key at CHF and Walker/Betts close to goal. With a resting mid in Danger, Thompson or Sloane, there's no spot for Pods IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 am

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:Pods isn't the player he was, but I still think he provides the Crows with a bit structurally and is good enough to be in their side when needed. Players like Brown, Wright, Shaw etc, fringe types that need to elevate their game will have to do so quickly under Walsh I think.

I think football is going through a small evolution, as it does, with Hawthorn the best exponent ( derr ) and Port right behind. Fast transition from the back half, versatility with your forward half to cope with the quick transition and mobility to get up and back the key, with many goals scored "out the back".

Pods is smart, so he'll position himself well, but his ability to continually get "up and back" could make him a liability in the way of the likes of Walker, Jenkins and the more mobile Lynch. I can't see Adelaide playing all 4 of them and Lynch is the link man, Jenkins the key at CHF and Walker/Betts close to goal. With a resting mid in Danger, Thompson or Sloane, there's no spot for Pods IMO.

very true, the game is certainly evolving into a fast counter attacking game. Hence why I think Charlie Cameron will play most games and could force Pods out as well
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:10 am

With Jenkins CHF, Walker FF and Betts as full time forwards and a resting mid down there, along with Lynch and Cameron (although I think once some attention is paid to him, he might struggle - much like Jake Neade) there might not be room for Pods.

I think Adelaide will look seriously at the two ruck combo with Lowden providing a forward target and ruck relief. With Talia bound up* in defence, he won't be able to play that third man up role, so will need more height around him. Enter Jacobs/Lowden.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL