2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2014 Retirements & 2015 Player Movement Discussions

Postby robranisgod » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:09 am

Hazydog wrote:
SDK wrote:I fear the rookie draft more than the main draft because it totally wastes a player from the SANFL club.
Any one taken in the main draft I am happy for but the rookie draft .......... :(

Spot on. And with the added slap in the face that now any player rookie listed to a local AFL club will line up against you next season.

I am sure that all club's have tales of woe, but in the 2005 rookie draft for 2006 season, North lost four players who had been signed to play with the roosters that year. It threw North's recruiting into disarray. Given that they lost the 2006 prelim by 7 points a lot at Prospect blame that rookie draft for at least a Grand Final appearance and maybe a flag.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 227 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby dedja » Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:21 pm

So it wasn't Jars' fault after all?
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 176 times
Been liked: 992 times

Postby robranisgod » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:41 pm

dedja wrote:So it wasn't Jars' fault after all?

I think that if Jars had been able to stay at Prospect we would have had a flag by now, but who knows. You hear so many different stories.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:31 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Hazydog wrote:
SDK wrote:I fear the rookie draft more than the main draft because it totally wastes a player from the SANFL club.
Any one taken in the main draft I am happy for but the rookie draft .......... :(

Spot on. And with the added slap in the face that now any player rookie listed to a local AFL club will line up against you next season.

I am sure that all club's have tales of woe, but in the 2005 rookie draft for 2006 season, North lost four players who had been signed to play with the roosters that year. It threw North's recruiting into disarray. Given that they lost the 2006 prelim by 7 points a lot at Prospect blame that rookie draft for at least a Grand Final appearance and maybe a flag.

Who were those players RIG? Not thinking you are making excuses, just curious.

A couple of years before that there were stories Jeremy Clayton had signed with the Eagles but ended up at an AFL club for a season.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby holden78 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:37 pm

Clayton had signed with Torrens but got drafted by North Melbourne and when he got dropped off wanted to play for the Eagles but fullasaboot didn't want him what a joke
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 pm

Jim05 wrote:From a selfish point of view happy Norwood havnt lost anyone yet, lets hope the luck continues at the rookie draft

Yep, same here. Both our clubs have given them enough over the last few seasons, although Glenelg have had a few drafted recently now.

Also stoked we have signed Aseri, quality pick-up as a player and character.

Does anyone know if Luke Thompson is training with anyone? Likely to be rookied by Adelaide? Would be a huge boon for us to have him, von Bertouch, Aseri and Templeton to choose from as our backline. Or maybe Thompson could play some footy up forward like 2011 and cover Grocke.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:05 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
Jim05 wrote:From a selfish point of view happy Norwood havnt lost anyone yet, lets hope the luck continues at the rookie draft

Yep, same here. Both our clubs have given them enough over the last few seasons, although Glenelg have had a few drafted recently now.

Does anyone know if Luke Thompson is training with anyone? Likely to be rookied by Adelaide? Would be a huge boon for us to have him, von Bertouch, Aseri and Templeton to choose from as our backline. Or maybe Thompson could play some footy up forward like 2011 and cover Grocke.

I've heard nothing about Thompson. I'm fairly certain his name would have been in the the draft and that he'd be hopeful of getting picked up as a rookie. He would have even less chance of getting picked up than Petrenko and McKernan I would have thought.

I watched him play a couple of times in the Crows SANFL team and on the couple of occasions he was playing AFL. I think the Crows were trying to make him into a key back and asked him to put on weight. Bad move. I reckon he had a very average year and didn't stand out in the SANFL more than any other full bck on the SANFL. He was at his best a couple of years ago playing as a rangy half back.

When he played for us in our premiership year he made a huge contribution by adding some dash from our half back line. If he does decide to play for the eagles again I would like to see him lose some weight so he can get this dash back. Agreed our backline would be very strong with him but then again our backline was not our weakness this year.....the same weaknesss Godden and co refuses to address.

The only possible player I could see the eagles losing in the upcoming draft may be Von Bertouch who was our best player this season IMO. While this is a relief it speaks volumes about the overall talent at the club at the moment.
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby robranisgod » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:35 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
Hazydog wrote:

Who were those players RIG? Not thinking you are making excuses, just curious.

A couple of years before that there were stories Jeremy Clayton had signed with the Eagles but ended up at an AFL club for a season.

North's Achilles heel at that stage was key defenders and they thought that they had resolved that issue until the rookie draft.
Jason Roe, who had been playing in defence for North was rookie listed by Brisbane. Stephen Gilham who had been on Port's list but had been allocated to North whilst playing for Port as used to happen, had signed with North when Port delisted him. He was rookied by Hawthorn and went onto become an AFL premiership player.
North had also signed a Centre Half Back who had played 7 games for Essendon called Sam Hunt who was rookied by Geelong in the same draft. He didn't make it at Geelong, but when he was finally delisted he didn't come to North but instead went to WA where he played a key role in South Fremantle's 2009 premiership win.
In addition Toby Stribling had been delisted by Fremantle and then rerookied and a young ruckman on North's list at the time, Luke McEntee was rookied by Hawthorn.
To attempt to solve the key defender problem brought about by the rookie draft, North then recruited former Glenelg, Hawthorn and Footscray defender, Simon Cox who was well passed his prime. He played OK for North but was overweight and injury prone.
I certainly don't want to take anything away from the Eagles in 2006. They certainly deserved their flag. I just wanted to highlight the damage the rookie draft can do. I guess these days the clubs would have more idea as to who was going to be rookied and have contingencies in place.
I also remember that Clayton had signed for the Eagles from his country Victorian club before being rookied by North Melbourne and playing for them for two years.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Postby Mr Fuller » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:33 pm

[quote="
I also remember that Clayton had signed for the Eagles from his country Victorian club before being rookied by North Melbourne and playing for them for two years.[/quote]

Those were the good old days when the eagles would look interstate for recruits :?
Mr Fuller
Reserves

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 123 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:23 pm

robranisgod wrote:
North's Achilles heel at that stage was key defenders and they thought that they had resolved that issue until the rookie draft.
Jason Roe, who had been playing in defence for North was rookie listed by Brisbane. Stephen Gilham who had been on Port's list but had been allocated to North whilst playing for Port as used to happen, had signed with North when Port delisted him. He was rookied by Hawthorn and went onto become an AFL premiership player.
North had also signed a Centre Half Back who had played 7 games for Essendon called Sam Hunt who was rookied by Geelong in the same draft. He didn't make it at Geelong, but when he was finally delisted he didn't come to North but instead went to WA where he played a key role in South Fremantle's 2009 premiership win.
In addition Toby Stribling had been delisted by Fremantle and then rerookied and a young ruckman on North's list at the time, Luke McEntee was rookied by Hawthorn.
To attempt to solve the key defender problem brought about by the rookie draft, North then recruited former Glenelg, Hawthorn and Footscray defender, Simon Cox who was well passed his prime. He played OK for North but was overweight and injury prone.
I certainly don't want to take anything away from the Eagles in 2006. They certainly deserved their flag. I just wanted to highlight the damage the rookie draft can do. I guess these days the clubs would have more idea as to who was going to be rookied and have contingencies in place.
I also remember that Clayton had signed for the Eagles from his country Victorian club before being rookied by North Melbourne and playing for them for two years.

Thanks RIG. Know you weren't trying to take anything away from the Eagles, I just couldn't remember the names, or if some of the players you'd signed were more "speculative" recruits from interstate. Roe and Gilham were/woud have become quality SANFL players at the time and big losses.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:27 pm

Mr Fuller wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:

I've heard nothing about Thompson. I'm fairly certain his name would have been in the the draft and that he'd be hopeful of getting picked up as a rookie. He would have even less chance of getting picked up than Petrenko and McKernan I would have thought.

I watched him play a couple of times in the Crows SANFL team and on the couple of occasions he was playing AFL. I think the Crows were trying to make him into a key back and asked him to put on weight. Bad move. I reckon he had a very average year and didn't stand out in the SANFL more than any other full bck on the SANFL. He was at his best a couple of years ago playing as a rangy half back.

When he played for us in our premiership year he made a huge contribution by adding some dash from our half back line. If he does decide to play for the eagles again I would like to see him lose some weight so he can get this dash back. Agreed our backline would be very strong with him but then again our backline was not our weakness this year.....the same weaknesss Godden and co refuses to address.

The only possible player I could see the eagles losing in the upcoming draft may be Von Bertouch who was our best player this season IMO. While this is a relief it speaks volumes about the overall talent at the club at the moment.

Yeah, even when he was playing for us, he was more suited to the second or third tall, running off halfback or helping out on the last line.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby RustyCage » Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:42 pm

Mark Clayton has replaced Jacob Surjan as coach of Ports Academy side
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Big Phil » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:18 pm

RustyCage wrote:Mark Clayton has replaced Jacob Surjan as coach of Ports Academy side

Good appointment...
Last edited by Big Phil on Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Red Rocket » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:40 pm

Where are Port finding this money from to run an a academy side and pay coaches?
Surely when times are tough things like academy sides and junkets to Dubai are the first to be cut
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby Tech1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:30 pm

Red Rocket wrote:Where are Port finding this money from to run an a academy side and pay coaches?
Surely when times are tough things like academy sides and junkets to Dubai are the first to be cut

Exactly but don't tell anyone at port adelaide that, they are soo hard done by :roll: :-({|= I said it from the start that academy side is a joke, should never been allowed, not needed, leave it to the real SANFL clubs to provide a pathway for junior footballers in this state.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby ferret » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:01 pm

Luke Thompson currently training with Eagles at Thebby Oval. Thompson and Petrenko have both been signed to play for Eagles if not picked up in the mean time.
ferret
Reserves

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 137 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:49 am

Tech1 wrote:Exactly but don't tell anyone at port adelaide that, they are soo hard done by :roll: :-({|= I said it from the start that academy side is a joke, should never been allowed, not needed, leave it to the real SANFL clubs to provide a pathway for junior footballers in this state.
Don't worry, it won't provide a pathway for junior footballers in this state. The elite will move on from their U/16 club to their U/18 club to the SA U/18 team, to the national draft. The good will move on from their U/16 club to their U/18 club to SANFL reserves and SANFL league for their club. Port's 3rds don't feature. It will provide a pathway for the odd ammo and minor league player to play SANFL reserves (on occasion, when injuries allow) to keep the demoted members of the Port Adelaide SANFL squad company. That's about all.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby the joker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 am

baulderstone will get picked up as a rookie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby the joker » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:08 am

Crows are probably going to take Johnno Beech in the rookie draft

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love vegatarian food. It goes great with steak.
the joker
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Peter Griffen » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:53 am

And then he lines up against West 3 times next year! Massive loss!
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL