SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Booney wrote:
Bounce of the ball wrote:It's a bit of the unknown really. Norwood fans WILL be there but not sure about the Port people.

From a TV audience view I hope it gets a big crowd to get a message that it's a good comp worth attending and still holds interest.

But I would also like to see mainly Norwood fans to show the Magpies are irrelevant.

Quite an interesting comment as you're happy enough to claim, in your opinion, that the Magpies are irrelevant yet aren't willing to demonstrate who it is that you support.

So, I guess who you support is, well, irrelevant too?

Must be a Port thing cos this doesn't make any sense to the post either. Irrelevant indeed.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:44 pm

SANFLnut wrote:If drawing a crowd and getting media coverage were genuine goals for the SANFL then they would not have programmed the GF on AFL prelim weekend in preference to a long weekend free of any AFL.

But 2 new teams that asked to join the comp wanted it that way? Oh sorry, excellent reason to abandon a set up that was clearly working well.

This part of it makes me as angry and p!ssed off as any of it, perhaps because to me it was the final straw in rolling over.

And really it is all because of 6-10 players of two teams potentially playing who are wanted on AFL lists, given from history we know there will always be a few on the list and rookies that will never, or barely, play an AFL game.

Don't also underestimate the impact of numerous Amateur and Country leagues close to the city that have their GF's Saturday, that may give preference to attending their local GF and watch Sunday on the box, not to mention players with sore heads. Other clubs still having their end of year functions etc, footy trips that used to come on the long weekend. City-Bay. All factors that I can't believe the SANFL were so blind to, or the AFL clubs were so selfish about, given we are talking about promoting a football event in the community.

My "stats" are having missed 3 out of the last 29 GF (one couldn't get tickets, two whilst living on West Coast). One year finished playing cricket at 5.30 Saturday and drove 6 hours to Adelaide to make the GF. Last ten years, have lived about two hours from Adelaide and made 90% of the finals over that time, even when Eagles weren't playing, usually dragging 2-4 more people with me. Could have made all the finals this year, including this weekend, but really just couldn't have been f**ked. May have gone if South were playing, but even on the weekend was half watching Port/South, half watching the Rugby League.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby LPH » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah, feels strange doesn't it FH?
Is an 'odd' feeling this year.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby FlyingHigh » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Yeah, it just doesn't feel like it's the end of the season, or that it's really been a season.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:29 pm

What would be the reaction and fall out if we went below 20k?

Or what is he pass mark? Is sub 25k an absolute disaster for the new comp and new timeslot?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tech1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:37 pm

daysofourlives wrote:What would be the reaction and fall out if we went below 20k?

Or what is he pass mark? Is sub 25k an absolute disaster for the new comp and new timeslot?

Less then 30k would be a disaster in my opinion with supposedly the two clubs with the most supporters, first grand final at the new Adelaide Oval. Pass mark should be between 35-40k. Either way i'm sure the league will dress up the attendance favourably.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Jim05 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:08 pm

daysofourlives wrote:What would be the reaction and fall out if we went below 20k?

Wont get that low.
Would think less than 35k would be considered a fail
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby matt35 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:14 pm

Given the perfect weather expected, I think the crowd should have a 3 in front of it. Anything over 30k gets a pass imho. I know some on here are talking 40k so they can then jump online at 5pm Sunday and start screaming that they now have proof of diminishing interest because of the evil new structure of the comp, but given we have not had a crowd above 40k in 16 years this is unrealistic, as much as I would love to see it.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:26 pm

matt35 wrote:Given the perfect weather expected, I think the crowd should have a 3 in front of it. Anything over 30k gets a pass imho. I know some on here are talking 40k so they can then jump online at 5pm Sunday and start screaming that they now have proof of diminishing interest because of the evil new structure of the comp, but given we have not had a crowd above 40k in 16 years this is unrealistic, as much as I would love to see it.

Mate if they get 40 plus and the Legs win an an epic battle with an after the siren barrel they will find plenty to bitch about despite apparently having no interest in it. Positive people will find the positives and negative people will do the opposite.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby Tech1 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:05 pm

matt35 wrote:Given the perfect weather expected, I think the crowd should have a 3 in front of it. Anything over 30k gets a pass imho. I know some on here are talking 40k so they can then jump online at 5pm Sunday and start screaming that they now have proof of diminishing interest because of the evil new structure of the comp, but given we have not had a crowd above 40k in 16 years this is unrealistic, as much as I would love to see it.

You can't be serous anything over 30,000, this is the two biggest clubs in the competition supposedly, perfect weather and the first SANFL grand final at the new Adelaide Oval. You do realize last year the Norwood V North grand final was over 36,000. Looks like you are the one looking to downplay the amount so you can jump on here and say it was better then expected, the league would be hoping if a crowd of more then 35k i'll bet.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby topsywaldron » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:02 pm

wristwatcher wrote: Positive people will find the positives and negative people will do the opposite.

So both sides of the have got their agendas? Thought it was just us malcontents stuck living in the 70s.

It is nice to see it finally acknowledged that you do the same, just for the forces of evil.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 am

topsywaldron wrote:
wristwatcher wrote: Positive people will find the positives and negative people will do the opposite.

So both sides of the have got their agendas? Thought it was just us malcontents stuck living in the 70s.

It is nice to see it finally acknowledged that you do the same, just for the forces of evil.

Not that your post makes all that much sense but I will try and reply,

If Being excited for a Port Norwood GF and hoping for a big crowd and good game means I'm supporting evil then call me Darth Vader if it makes you happy.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:09 am

wristwatcher wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

If Being excited for a Port Norwood GF and hoping for a big crowd and good game means I'm supporting evil then call me Darth Vader if it makes you happy.

You are Darth Vader. There, I'm happy now
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:24 am

After the league changed the timing, venue and Norwood/Port anything less than 35k would be a massive failure and a huge concern for the league.

I genuinely think the changing of the time is the biggest factor, imagine a huge build up the week after the AFL GF for a Norwood/Port game with clear media air and the first AO GF after the revamp. They could have built it up to a crowd of 45k.

Many neutrals used to go to the SANFL GF simply as it was the last game of footy anywhere for the year.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:38 am

If North and Norwood pull in 36k plus at Footy Park then this game (with the averages of crowds at Footy Pk compared to Adelaide Oval in the AFL and the addition of 15000 SACA members getting in for free means it should be 60k plus! Throw in the fact a lot of people didn't go to Footy Pk Grand Finals because they were away for the October long weekend and the facilities/distance of Footy Pk.
Anything short of 40k will be a massive failure.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2023 times
Been liked: 3867 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:35 pm

Wedgie wrote:If North and Norwood pull in 36k plus at Footy Park then this game (with the averages of crowds at Footy Pk compared to Adelaide Oval in the AFL and the addition of 15000 SACA members getting in for free means it should be 60k plus! Throw in the fact a lot of people didn't go to Footy Pk Grand Finals because they were away for the October long weekend and the facilities/distance of Footy Pk.
Anything short of 40k will be a massive failure.

Thats why it will be interesting to see if the timing of the GF (pre or post AFL GF) makes a difference. I fear it will, chuck in the city to bay on the same day as well I fear it might be on the small side despite a dream match up for the SANFL
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:44 pm

Of course the timing will. It was always a stupid move , Andrea Bocelli could see that.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:11 pm

I was at AO today and those in the know are suggesting 35 plus. Should be a great a great day starting with the "Screaming Jets". Could it get any "Better".
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby matt35 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:13 pm

Certainly hope your information is correct and that we see a big crowd there Sunday.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby StrayDog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:37 am

wristwatcher wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:

May the farce be with you.
"— here I opened wide the door; —
Darkness there, and nothing more."

- Edgar Allan Poe from " The Raven "

StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL