SANFL crowd numbers

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: SANFL crowd numbers

by Mark_Beswick » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:28 pm

Also, there were at least 2.5K extra crowd stats because WWT had a lightning carnival b4 the crows game on sunday. I left when after the carnival and before the first bounce with my two kids and many other people. I would love to see the stats for attendance from 1.30pm onwards - This crowd number is not an accurate reflection either
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

by matt35 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:51 pm

Two points:

1. The Crows second game against West Adelaide, played on a Friday night, was one of the worst nights of the year weather wise, with nearly an inch of rain falling that night. Only 1302 turned up? Surprise surprise!

2. I've noticed the amount of people at Woodville for the carnival alone seems to go up by about 500 with every post! 2500 now, surely 3000 next! Will be accounting for the entire crowd soon!

I know it doesn't go down well here but facts are facts, Crows SANFL games have mostly been well attended! Hoping that will be the case again on Saturday.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

by Aerie » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm not sure the Crows / Port have really had a negative or positive impact on match day crowds so far this year. I know there are regulars who are fed up with it, but with that will be the new people exposed to the SANFL via the new teams.

What will be interesting is the Annual Report for each club at the end of the year. We'll also need to wait a few years to see how things turn out. I bought a season ticket this year, as I have for many years, to give it a go. I won't be again next season. I might be one of only a dozen though, and there might be 30 new people who buy a ticket because the concept is appealing.

Only time will tell, but the SANFL and clubs have taken a massive risk and jumped the gun to be completely dependant upon the AFL a little early IMO.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

by PhilH » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:40 pm

The MWJFL Lightning Carnival is an interesting wrinkle to this debate.

Every Crows game has no automatic curtain raiser so it has been up to each club to come up with one.

All other people involved in a curtain raiser be it the Womens All Star Game (Central) or Sacred Heart v Scotch (Glenelg) or an U18 trial (Norwood) have been included in that games crowd figures so I fail to see why the Eagles figure requires adjustment just because we organised a curtain raiser event which did bring in a lot of people.

We (the Eagles) saw the 2 Crows games with no curtain raiser as an OPPORTUNITY to do something that would bring people to Woodville.

We could not do the same event against any other SANFL club because of the reserves game filling the curtain raiser spot.

When we sold the idea to the MWJFL back in February (there was a lot or work in making this a reality) the fact the kids would be the curtain raiser event to a game involving AFL listed players certainly added to the appeal of what we were proposing.

So whilst the Crows probably did little work to bring the crowd, it could not have occurred without them.

As for how many actually came for the carnival and how many for the game we did ask for a crowd figure from the SANFL at 11.30am when the last of the MWJFL teams should have started playing.

I don't have permission to exactly quote the figure but I can say the 2,500 figure is overstated. It was a little lower than 2,000, noting some of those were early birds or staff / officials for the main game.

We (The Eagles) were actually very pleased by the number of families that stayed on post carnival, firstly for the parade (that stretched down the entire outer boundary at one point), then the donut distribution and Kids Community Treasure Hunt. We did not clear the queue of kids lining up to do the hunt until after quarter time of the main game.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

by Aerie » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:00 am

Phil H, it was fantastic. I got out of the car with my 3yo at about 2pm to walk down to the entrance gate and I heard the schools being introduced and huge cheers from the kids. It was all positive.

Then it gets to 4:30 and all I'm hearing is a group of white haired men with yellow Eagle hats abusing Patty Giuffreda because Lynch is giving him a bath and appalled by the hopeless Eagles players.

I believe this type of promotion could happen with the 8 genuine SANFL sides playing in a genuine SANFL competition. All it would take is for the administrators of the game in this state to see what people like yourself see in the comp and for the people that run the AFL to quit squeezing the life out of anything not AFL.

The SANFL was not given a chance by their own people and 36,000 people at last years Grand Final would suggest to me the competition wasn't in dire straits and in desperate need of salvation by the Adelaide Football Club. But somehow it got to this.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 509 times

by Dutchy » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 am

Dear Member

I want to thank all our members for supporting our State League team this year.

As it stands, we are the most supported team in the SANFL with 53,926 people having attended our 15 games. This figure puts us just ahead of Norwood (53,551) and well ahead of other teams in the League. Our average crowd has been 3,595 fans per game.

Our young team struggled early in the season, losing six of our first seven games. However, we’ve become much more competitive in the past eight games, winning five and losing three. Two of those losses have been by just six points. Importantly, the benefits of preparing our players to play AFL football have been significant.

I would love our Club to maintain the title as the best supported team in the SANFL.

So, I’m appealing to you to use your Crows members’ tickets to support our team this Saturday at 2.10pm v Glenelg at Gliderol Stadium.

Thanks again for your support so far this season and we hope to see you on Saturday!

GO CROWS!
Kind regards

Ian Callinan
State League Captain
Adelaide Football Club
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2331 times
Been liked: 3555 times

by Mark_Beswick » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:17 am

Dont get me wrong - Thought it was a masterstroke by the Eagles!!!!! I know my lads loved playing on Woody Oval and I'm certain the other 200 kids to. Was well run and promoted by WWT through many district clubs -

The Crows promised to co-promote in each clubs zone prior to each SANFL game - Seems to have gone by the wayside - Dont think your club Phil cpuld do it better.... Probably the best idea as a curtain raiser there is.
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

by Mark_Beswick » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:20 am

I guess next year may??? be the last time clubs can run curtain raisers before the crows as Port should be losing its SANFL Reserves Reserves side in 2016 meaning 8 sides in the SANFL B's and 18's...
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

by Pseudo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:40 am

Clowns Propaganda wrote:I want to thank all our members for supporting our State League team this year.

Or at least the 200 who actually A) turn up and B) physically support them.

I would love our Club to maintain the title as the best supported team in the SANFL.

Got to earn the title before you can maintain it.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1563 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

by Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:47 am

Dutchy wrote:Dear Member

I want to thank all our members for supporting our State League team this year.

As it stands, we are the most supported team in the SANFL with 53,926 people having attended our 15 games. This figure puts us just ahead of Norwood (53,551) and well ahead of other teams in the League. Our average crowd has been 3,595 fans per game.

Our young team struggled early in the season, losing six of our first seven games. However, we’ve become much more competitive in the past eight games, winning five and losing three. Two of those losses have been by just six points. Importantly, the benefits of preparing our players to play AFL football have been significant.

So, I’m appealing to you to use your Crows members’ tickets to support our team this Saturday at 2.10pm v Glenelg at Gliderol Stadium.

Thanks again for your support so far this season and we hope to see you on Saturday!

GO CROWS!
Kind regards

Ian Callinan
SANFL side Captain
Adelaide Football Club
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

by smac » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:08 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Clowns Propaganda wrote:I want to thank all our members for supporting our State League team this year.

Or at least the 200 who actually A) turn up and B) physically support them.

Got to earn the title before you can maintain it.

Yep, I'd call it 'most watched'. Best supported... I wonder if he even knows that someone has attributed those words to him?
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

by Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm

I did wonder that, as he's been very keen to foster good relationships in regards to this situation.
Dogwatcher
Coach

by stan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:04 pm

So just floating this out there, but how do you measure attendance when you dont have home games?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

by Jim05 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:14 pm

stan wrote:So just floating this out there, but how do you measure attendance when you dont have home games?

In this day and age surely it isnt too hard to find out which club people support when they enter the gates. Must be some sort of counting mechanism able to be used. 90% of Crows games this year people are saying that only 200-400 Crows fans are in attendence. Would be nice to see the actual breakdown of crowds
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

by bennymacca » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:46 pm

I still can't work out how there must be only 200 crows fans in attendance but yet the crowds are consistently higher than other games, some by thousands?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by Dogwatcher » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:54 pm

Again, you're ignoring the many posts pointing out why this would be the case through the various threads on the topic. Wilfully? Blindly? I dunno.
Dogwatcher
Coach

by tipper » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:31 pm

bennymacca wrote:I still can't work out how there must be only 200 crows fans in attendance but yet the crowds are consistently higher than other games, some by thousands?

maybe some poeple enjoy going to watch the crows suck...
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

by UK Fan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Again, you're ignoring the many posts pointing out why this would be the case through the various threads on the topic. Wilfully? Blindly? I dunno.

He could just be very stupid IMHO!!!!!
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 504 times

by bennymacca » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Again, you're ignoring the many posts pointing out why this would be the case through the various threads on the topic. Wilfully? Blindly? I dunno.

So who are the rest of the supporters then? Sanfl fans that also have crows members tickets?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

by gossipgirl » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:29 pm

DOH !!!!!! Perhaps you have been eating too many crispy crème doughnuts :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL