Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:49 am

Havent been there for about 15 years, but it was awesome back then. They packed you in like Sardines, but the food and service was top shelf.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 am

Excellent food there, haven't been in for a while because as JK so rightly notes, they cram you in and on a warm day/night it can be quite uncomfortable in there. It can impact on the dining experience.

Off to the Walkers Arms tonight. Review to come.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:40 am

Booney wrote:Excellent food there, haven't been in for a while because as JK so rightly notes, they cram you in and on a warm day/night it can be quite uncomfortable in there. It can impact on the dining experience.

Mrs Wristington went last week for a work show. Good food, average service.

Upon arrival she stood at the counter with baby for 5 minutes trying to pay. She was bypassed and ignored by several staff. She could see the group whom encouraged her and baby to come sit down after 5 minutes of standing there with money out. So she did. Fair to say the service did not set the world on fire but she said she enjoyed her free meal.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:11 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:Excellent food there, haven't been in for a while because as JK so rightly notes, they cram you in and on a warm day/night it can be quite uncomfortable in there. It can impact on the dining experience.

Mrs Wristington went last week for a work show. Good food, average service.

Upon arrival she stood at the counter with baby for 5 minutes trying to pay. She was bypassed and ignored by several staff. She could see the group whom encouraged her and baby to come sit down after 5 minutes of standing there with money out. So she did. Fair to say the service did not set the world on fire but she said she enjoyed her free meal.

Cheers. Going with the outlaws ( a not so cultured bunch ) so it should be interesting watching them feeding from the trough.

I'm hoping @HH3 wants to join me. :lol:

PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:41 am

I'll politely decline the offer, thanks mate.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:58 am

Booney wrote:Cheers. Going with the outlaws ( a not so cultured bunch ) so it should be interesting watching them feeding from the trough.

Hope they don't run dry. You could be in for a long night...

Lionel Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, in your own words, please tell us what happened after you and your husband were ejected from the restaurant.

Marge: We pretty much went straight home.

Lionel Hutz: Remember, Mrs. Simpson, you're still under oath.

Marge: We drove around until 3:00 in the morning looking for another open all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant.

Lionel Hutz: And when you couldn't find any?

Marge: (crying) We went fishing!

Lionel Hutz: Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, does this sounds like a man who had "all he could eat"?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:40 am

Walkers Arms, buffet.

Well, first off, when it's 34° and 80% + humidity, I expect a nice pub to have air conditioning cranking all day to be frosty cold by 6pm. Not at the Walkers Arms. Must have been 25-28° in there at 6:30 last night. On the wrong side of comfortable, especially when you would have close to 100 people scarfing down food, so high metabolic rates giving off high heat loads ( :-B ) and 4 big bain maries giving off heat as well as the doors open from the kitchen where everything was sizzling hot.

To the buffet - $28.90 per person. If you go to the 5:30-7:30 sitting kids under 13 eat free. That is a tick of approval. Pity mine aren't under 13. There are two sitting a night, 5:30-7:30 and 7:30-9:30

Seafood - Prawns (small but nice), pickled calamari (not bad), muscles (didn't touch them, looked old,rubbery and dry), seafood extender (really, WTF?)

Cold cuts/salads - Think what Mum used to dish up during summer in the 80's. "What's for tea, Mum?" - "Cold meat and salad" - "Yes!" Not bad. Nothing special.

Roast - Pork, beef, spuds with carrots (in too much water, yuck), corn (pieces cut to about an inch wide, I hate that), peas, beans, broccoli.

Asian - The pick of the selections. 2 crispy chicken options (one spicy one was excellent), beef, S&P squid, all sitting in woks with crispy noodles. Malaysian green curry (nice), steamed dim sims (nice), spring rolls, dumplings and the pick of the lot, sticky sweet and sour pork ribs. Outstanding.

Chips, potato gems, other bits and pieces.

Dessert - Soft serve, pavlova, chocolate brownies, chocolate mousse.

Look, all in all you would be hard pleased if you went there are didn't think you got value for money from the night. With so many options something a little different is bound to take your fancy and if not there are plenty of standard offerings to fill up on. I'd rather pay the $30 for this buffet and know I'm leaving satisfied than go somewhere and pay $30 for something that isn't up to scratch.

I'd recommend the Walkers Arms buffet, I wouldn't rave about it as it's not exceptional but for $30 for a 2 hour sitting you would, as noted above, be pretty critical if you left there either unsatisfied with the offerings and/or hungry.

I'd rate it 7/10, some of the dishes ( the Asian inspired stuff ) would be 8/10, some ( the roast stuff) would be 6/10.

The conditions inside the place last night didn't help the overall experience.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Stumps » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:30 pm

Movenpick Gelati on Leigh Street.
$4.50 a cone or $5.50 a waffle cone.
Have had double chocolate, boysenberry and cream, coconut and swiss chocolate and straachiatella (?)
all damn good 9/10
do yourself a flavour
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:33 pm

for all those down in the western suburbs and may be of the Port Adelaide fan base, living social has a seafood and wine deal for $40, apparently valued at $80 at the footy club
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11850 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:59 am

Moseley Hotel - Glenelg.

Down stairs is more of a bistro feel, upstairs is more beer'n'burger type set up. Mrs Boon and I had lunch there, so beer'n'burger ( sort of ) was the go.

Mrs went the Wagyu beef Moseley Burger ( $22 ) and I went the Spiced Squid ( $22 ) with chilli lime mayo on the salad.

The burger was good quality pub burger, thick juicy if slightly under cooked burger, nice seasoned chips, couldn't knock it. Spiced squid came in a bowl tossed through a salad of rocket and lettuce, no chips. Bit disappointed with the no chips, lucky Mrs Boon had plenty. Squid was excellent. Big chunky pieces, could cut it with my fork, didn't need a knife. Tender as can be and while it said "spiced" I think there was a bit of 5 spice or perhaps chilli in the seasoning. Real good.

Excellent selection of craft beers ( Stone & Wood Pacific Ale - $8 YUM! ) and wines and ciders ( Rockfords Alicante $9 glass ) made both of us happy enough.

8/10 for pub grub, 9/10 for location and scenery if you get a table out on the balcony, 9/10 for atmosphere, young crowd, good buzz about the place.

Overall - 8/10
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Booney wrote:Moseley Hotel - Glenelg.

Down stairs is more of a bistro feel, upstairs is more beer'n'burger type set up. Mrs Boon and I had lunch there, so beer'n'burger ( sort of ) was the go.

Mrs went the Wagyu beef Moseley Burger ( $22 ) and I went the Spiced Squid ( $22 ) with chilli lime mayo on the salad.

The burger was good quality pub burger, thick juicy if slightly under cooked burger, nice seasoned chips, couldn't knock it. Spiced squid came in a bowl tossed through a salad of rocket and lettuce, no chips. Bit disappointed with the no chips, lucky Mrs Boon had plenty. Squid was excellent. Big chunky pieces, could cut it with my fork, didn't need a knife. Tender as can be and while it said "spiced" I think there was a bit of 5 spice or perhaps chilli in the seasoning. Real good.

Excellent selection of craft beers ( Stone & Wood Pacific Ale - $8 YUM! ) and wines and ciders ( Rockfords Alicante $9 glass ) made both of us happy enough.

8/10 for pub grub, 9/10 for location and scenery if you get a table out on the balcony, 9/10 for atmosphere, young crowd, good buzz about the place.

Overall - 8/10

Shouldn't that be an 8.7 then?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:19 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Overall - 8/10

You know, as I typed it I thought there'd be one, I didn't think it would be you, but I thought there would be one....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Overall - 8/10

You know, as I typed it I thought there'd be one, I didn't think it would be you, but I thought there would be one....

Well it only makes sense.

I went out for dinner.
Food: 5, lacked taste.
Service: 6, slow but hot waitress.
Price: 4, dear for the sized portions.

Overall: 8
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Wouldn't that then be 4.75?

8)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:Wouldn't that then be 4.75?

8)

Exactly!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

it shouldnt be a pure mean though, it needs to be a weighted average.

I feel like if the 3 criteria were food, location, scenery, then it would be something like a 50/25/25 weighting, which would give an 8.5 rating in the above example, not 8.67

:D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Well I gave the rating and it's a ******* 8/10. [-(
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:it shouldnt be a pure mean though, it needs to be a weighted average.

I feel like if the 3 criteria were food, location, scenery, then it would be something like a 50/25/25 weighting, which would give an 8.5 rating in the above example, not 8.67

My point was there was an 8 and two 9's, even with your weighed criteria it should've been rounded up, giving it a 9.

I had my my plans set to go there immediately and had alerted all of my friend that we were heading there as Booney was giving it a high 8, after it got knocked down to just a flat 8 I had to cancel.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Booney wrote:Well I gave the rating and it's a ******* 8/10. [-(

im just not sure i can trust you anymore
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
bennymacca wrote:it shouldnt be a pure mean though, it needs to be a weighted average.

My point was there was an 8 and two 9's, even with your weighed criteria it should've been rounded up, giving it a 9.

I had my my plans set to go there immediately and had alerted all of my friend that we were heading there as Booney was giving it a high 8, after it got knocked down to just a flat 8 I had to cancel.

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion