VERSION 2: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: VERSION 2: 7 Pure A-Grade Divisions

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:31 pm

Yank Man wrote:Agree or disagree with marbles, like or don't like marbles and his determination for a super league, but at least it has caused discussion. The fact is the league could have issues in 2015 and I am sure they are working hard on a resolution. For me A grades play A grades and C grades play C grades. If an A grade club can't fill 2 teams then it's the wilderness for them and C something. Let's face it if Goody Sts fielded C's AND D's the mighty Henley would slip behind them. I've watched a C1 game this year and the standard was high Div 7. More to come I reckon. ;)

Agree with all that.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:43 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
marbles wrote:thats actually a brilliant idea

Super C1 have 10 sides
Super C1R have 9 sides
>>> the 10th side in super C1 will be the premier of C1 (single stand alone side) and this encourages them to attract a d-grade? oh but wait what happens to them the following season when the next C1 premier earns a crack

Answer the easier question first.

The next season regardless of position/success, they are removed from the comp and replaced with the premier. Might sound harsh, but as it is at the moment, the sides in C1 don't move as is, so the opportunity to play in the D8 comp for a season gives both them (premier C1) and the sides who play in D8 the chance to play against opposition they otherwise wouldn't.

The sides in D8 & C1 would play mostly the same sides each year, so a season with a different side should be a welcomed change.

Could also encourage a club to work for a D grade in the season they drop back, understanding and realising what is required to field a 3rd and 4th side.

If the following season the side from C1 whose due to go down is able to field a 4th side, then enter them into the lowest C/D division and cover D8 with the C1 premier, and shuffle the C grade sides up a grade to fill the void.

hmmm yes and no - the missing element is that the Div 9 premier & runner up do come up to div 8, bottom 2 div 8 go down, div 9 allows the lesser sides play with the lesser sides

so if suddenly C1 champs goodwood decide theyve got a dgrade in 2016 shouldnt they start out in div 9 at the back of the line? yes theyll smash everyone but div 8 & 9 is ranked 1-20 too for example heres div 8 & 9 next year....

superC.jpg
superC.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 1768 times

(so its kinda like saying brighton has a right to jump ahead of div 2 sides
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:47 pm

marbles wrote:F# this could happen every season the number of teams will be unknown. clubs fold, clubs join, clubs like wingfield gets a b-grade - the model has to change every year?? do u agree??

No I don't agree. Generally the only unknown for number of teams is for C grade sides. The model could be a general base model, and the SAAFL would just make minor adjustments each year if needed as they currently do now.

I would be interested to know clubs that have come/gone over the past few years in A grade divisions.

Ovingham were mostly a C grade club, with I believe 1 season with 2 teams in recent years.
Wingfield have struggled, but haven't had two sides in a number of seasons.

Who else?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:51 pm

marbles wrote:
hmmm yes and no - the missing element is that the Div 9 premier & runner up do come up to div 8, bottom 2 div 8 go down, div 9 allows the lesser sides play with the lesser sides

so if suddenly C1 champs goodwood decide theyve got a dgrade in 2016 shouldnt they start out in div 9 at the back of the line? yes theyll smash everyone but div 8 & 9 is ranked 1-20 too for example heres div 8 & 9 next year....

(so its kinda like saying brighton has a right to jump ahead of div 2 sides

If Goodwood decided in 2016 that they wanted to have C & D then yes I would say put them in D9, and Pt Districts as the premier C1 side would push into D8.

It is probable that they may be above the standard of that comp, however with two sides coming down from 8 and the mid range sides from 9 remaining, it should create a degree of balance.

If Goodwood dominated, they would progress to D8 the following season in the promotion/relegation process.

Also I'm not sure if the gap between the C grade sides would be as massive as some people may think, and what's to say that the C1 premier might not struggle in D8? Might also be able to increase the standard of C/D grade sides with a promotion/relegation incentive?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:53 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
marbles wrote:F# this could happen every season the number of teams will be unknown. clubs fold, clubs join, clubs like wingfield gets a b-grade - the model has to change every year?? do u agree??

No I don't agree. Generally the only unknown for number of teams is for C grade sides. The model could be a general base model, and the SAAFL would just make minor adjustments each year if needed as they currently do now.

I would be interested to know clubs that have come/gone over the past few years in A grade divisions.

Ovingham were mostly a C grade club, with I believe 1 season with 2 teams in recent years.
Wingfield have struggled, but haven't had two sides in a number of seasons.

Who else?

fair point

but next season is a mystery?

kilburn need to find 30-40 extra men?
mitchell park need to find 30-40 extra men?
flinder uni need to find 30-40 extra men?

none of these have juniors (colt under 18s)? how the hell they gonna do this :shock:

If Goodwood dominated d9, they would progress to D8 the following season in the promotion/relegation process.

yeah bit unfair on the div 9 battlers though, goodwood would pump the comp, the div 9 boys will lose hope, player stocks will dwindle?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:56 pm

marbles wrote:
If Goodwood dominated d9, they would progress to D8 the following season in the promotion/relegation process.

yeah bit unfair on the div 9 battlers though, goodwood would pump the comp, the div 9 boys will lose hope, player stocks will dwindle?

That happens now in the C grade divisions already - take PNU last season for instance. Every year there is always a side in the C grade divs that are head and shoulders above the rest.
Guess the beauty of C/D grade is that the strength of the side is also dependant on how their A/B grade are travelling i.e. injuries etc.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:01 pm

marbles wrote:fair point

none of these have juniors (colt under 18s)? how the hell they gonna do this :shock:

:lol: I don't know, I don't have the answers, I'm just brain storming off the top of me head FFS! :lol:
Kilburn will find enough for two sides. If they don't then C grade divs and a bye in D3 - not ideal but shit happens.
Mitchell Pk & Flinders Uni - should they not manage to get the extra side back up, continue with working together like this season, D6 becomes an 11 team division which would make life a little bit more difficult, but I guess the 12th seed position would become the Bye? Means 4 sides (Top 4 seeds) wouldn't receive a 2nd bye round?
The focus would then be for the SAAFL to work with MP & FU and try to help them come up with a business plan/strategic plan to get back to 2 sides.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:06 pm

[quote="Phantom Gossiper"][quote="marbles"]Firstly - awesome work PG :supz: you have built a bridge & crossed it - officially accepted to leave the C-Graders behind - great work.

So have read your model, i am here to work with you, so here are some questions...

# Div 1 = 12 teams? how many rounds in the season? Remain an 18 round season. The seeding's would determine the draw. Each team would play each other once, then for the remaining 7 games base the draw on the seeding from previous season. For instance the 4 games that the top sides may not play a 2nd game against could be against the bottom seeded sides.
i like the idea of minimal impact on all clubs as a whole, but here i think the div 1 clubs are being messed about too much and will want to play each other twice.

# this could happen every season the number of teams will be unknown. clubs fold, clubs join, clubs like wingfield gets a b-grade - the model has to change every year?? do u agree??Think it has been mentioned before that the comp has grown massively and almost to it's capacity. I would be reluctant to look at having new clubs join in the near future. Clubs folding is a little more difficult, but unfortunately it may mean a bye in the division that club was in. However most of the higher division clubs are very well structured and run and the clubs that would be in most danger of folding are new clubs or lower division battlers

id assume the league are always wanting more clubs and gaining a new club for the league would be a huge win inside the league headquarters... we won brighton u beauty!!!!! :partyman:

just quietly i wouldnt rule out channel 9 wanting the SAAFL & SFL to merge haha - and channel 9 to have their name on both leagues :D

days of making division decisions before u even know what youve got are numbered. IMO. facing reality and waiting for mid febuary each year to see how many affiliations youll have and then decide on divisions from there is the way to go. clubs are simply ranked from the previous season & simply stacked into 10 team or 9 team divisions from there on
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Yank Man » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:03 pm

Phantom Gossiper wrote:
marbles wrote:fair point

:lol: I don't know, I don't have the answers, I'm just brain storming off the top of me head FFS! :lol:
Kilburn will find enough for two sides. If they don't then C grade divs and a bye in D3 - not ideal but shit happens.
Mitchell Pk & Flinders Uni - should they not manage to get the extra side back up, continue with working together like this season, D6 becomes an 11 team division which would make life a little bit more difficult, but I guess the 12th seed position would become the Bye? Means 4 sides (Top 4 seeds) wouldn't receive a 2nd bye round?
The focus would then be for the SAAFL to work with MP & FU and try to help them come up with a business plan/strategic plan to get back to 2 sides.

The MP/Flinders Uni unique situation in 2014 won't be tolerated by the league in 2015. Sorry, it's 2 teams per club or amalgamation. End of story. :(
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 322 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby Cohiba » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:02 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:I'm done discussing this anyway - if it happens it happens, if it doesn't then it doesn't, either way i'm not going to lose sleep about it..

Just when you thought you were out......Marbles has pulled you back in........go PG... :)
Cohiba
Reserves

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 41 times

Postby Barnyard08 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:22 am

Marbles has his own opions that alot of Henley people dont agree with he is one person in a big club not all of us think like him.
I believe this is a backward step for our club if it happens.The club should be looking at playing the best div they can and div 7 is it.
Barnyard08
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Henley

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:46 am

Barnyard08 wrote:Marbles has his own opions that alot of Henley people dont agree with he is one person in a big club not all of us think like him.
I believe this is a backward step for our club if it happens.The club should be looking at playing the best div they can and div 7 is it.

Barnyard has his own opinions that a lot of people at henley dont agree with, he is one person at a big club not all of us think like him.

Barnyard u refuse to observe that our dwindling numbers are linked to our c-graders cant be bothered playing a-graders, no one seems to wanna face up and say we're losing players because of it

we're next in line champ, tea tree gully, broadview, shocs and flinders park have hit this wall already, and as recent meetings have told us, we too are very close

meanwhile div 8 clubs are flourishing having a wonderful time, can you see the connection yet?

i cant change your mind only you can but until you realize our c-grade is one very unappealing environment, youll continue to care more for the clubs ego, than its survival

join a c-grade super league and you watch the numbers return. (for all clubs). id rather see 50 joyful happy men flourishing around the club looking forward to every game, than 30 men on their last legs struggling to fill 2 sides
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:09 am

marbles wrote:
Barnyard08 wrote:Marbles has his own opions that alot of Henley people dont agree with he is one person in a big club not all of us think like him.

Barnyard has his own opinions that a lot of people at henley dont agree with, he is one person at a big club not all of us think like him.

Barnyard u refuse to observe that our dwindling numbers are linked to our c-graders cant be bothered playing a-graders, no one seems to wanna face up and say we're losing players because of it

we're next in line champ, tea tree gully, broadview, shocs and flinders park have hit this wall already, and as recent meetings have told us, we too are very close

meanwhile div 8 clubs are flourishing having a wonderful time, can you see the connection yet?

i cant change your mind only you can but until you realize our c-grade is one very unappealing environment, youll continue to care more for the clubs ego, than its survival

join a c-grade super league and you watch the numbers return. (for all clubs). id rather see 50 joyful happy men flourishing around the club looking forward to every game, than 30 men on their last legs struggling to fill 2 sides

If you mean by struggling, having your D Grade top of the D7R ladder, then yeah, that would be tough.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:57 am

Barnyard08 wrote: he is one person in a big club not all of us think like him.

Thankfully :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1742 times
Been liked: 2153 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:44 am

could have a bite, edwardstown having a nibble :supz:
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:34 pm

This is permanently a solution looking for a problem.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby marbles » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:14 am

its become known the league will not allow 1 team clubs next year

if all the following clubs fail to fill 2 sides next year

mitchell park
flinders uni
wingfield
kilburn