Matt Rendell - Racist or Realist?

Talk on the national game

Matt Rendell - Racist or Realist?

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:14 pm

It's been just over two years since Adelaide Recruiter Matt Rendell quit his role after comments made about the recruitment of Aboriginal players.

I must admit at the time being a person of proud Aboriginal heritage I thought the comments were stupid and racist, and very disappointing, however over the past couple of months and looking back over the situation/comments etc, I cant help but feel that there was a degree of truth to his comments.

Apart from the Liam Jurrah debacle over recent years, Austin Wonaeamirri fell away rapidly and Ashley Sampi failed to live up to the hype.

In recent months we have seen Hawthorn recruit Dayle Garlett retire and now Fremantles Josh Simpson in exile as he deals with what Ross Lyons explains as "A number of family, cultural and attitudinal situations to work through.

So I pose the question, was Rendell a Racist or a Realist, was he harshly treated, and does the AFL need to help clubs more to provide greater support structures for not only young indigenous lads but anyone from a culturally diverse background?
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Re: Matt Rendell - Racist or Realist?

Postby stan » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Realist but stupid. Shouldnt of been sacked just reprimanded for talking about recruiting tactics to an outside person, albeit and AFL person.

Sent from my GT-I9197 using Tapatalk
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby heater31 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Think he was also trying make a point that unless the right support network is around to help these aboriginal players, clubs may get to the point of avoiding them.

Need to get it right so we don't get to that point.

Also happens at the next level down. Sharples played at Sturt a few seasons ago and made the state team. Fallen off the radar now though.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:38 pm

Plenty of non-aboriginal players have done the same.
Just like plenty of both aboriginal and non-aboriginal players have managed to adjust to what is required to play top level footy.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Some would say both.

By highlighting that some indigenous players need different support mechanisms to be successful AFL footballers can and would be seen by some as racist. Not me though. It's 100% understandable that some players need different support.

You could say any 18 year old drafted interstate would need tailored support networks to help them thrive. Some go home mid-week when they can ( I know Port encourage the first and second year draftees to ) and some would love being out of home, regardless of colour or creed.

Racism and what it is for mine is a very personal thing.

I for one believe we should celebrate and appreciate our differences and not use them as reason to belittle or inflict pain upon each other.

So, was Rendell racist or being a realist? If it offended indigenous people, it's most likely racist. If indigenous people acknowledged that it was also truthful, then it's realist.

It's a fine, fine line we walk and sadly I don't ever see a time when we won't as a society. That's sad.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

Probably both. Crows should have hung tough against the AFL's wishes and kept him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:02 pm

I think his original comments were taken out of context. To your question, I think neither.

I think it would take a lot for a 16/17/18 yo to be taken out of their environment and automatically 'get' the AFL footballer lifestyle. The discipline and team meetings would drive me crazy.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:06 pm

JK wrote:Probably both. Crows should have hung tough against the AFL's wishes and kept him.

Yes, it's a bit rich for someone like Trigg to talk of anything to do with Adelaide's stance on integrity, without his tongue firmly planted on the inside of his cheek.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Coach Bombay » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:31 pm

I hate racism, but his comments had merit and thats all it needs to no longer be racist.
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:39 pm

Is their a lot of difference between an Irish kid who lives 25,000km away from all his family.
Of course they are tailored to suit.
I think Rendell was treated extremely poorly by all involved in this case.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:22 pm

I reckon plenty of white dudes have lost the plot also. Need to get bennymac up here with some tldr stats posts I reckon. As for Rendell, he put his foot in it and was hung out to dry by the AFL.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Dols » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:10 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:I reckon plenty of white dudes have lost the plot also. Need to get bennymac up here with some tldr stats posts I reckon. As for Rendell, he put his foot in it and was hung out to dry by the AFL.

regards,

REB
hung out by the crows who had no balls
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:48 am

Booney wrote:Some would say both.

By highlighting that some indigenous players need different support mechanisms to be successful AFL footballers can and would be seen by some as racist. Not me though. It's 100% understandable that some players need different support.

You could say any 18 year old drafted interstate would need tailored support networks to help them thrive. Some go home mid-week when they can ( I know Port encourage the first and second year draftees to ) and some would love being out of home, regardless of colour or creed.

Racism and what it is for mine is a very personal thing.

I for one believe we should celebrate and appreciate our differences and not use them as reason to belittle or inflict pain upon each other.

So, was Rendell racist or being a realist? If it offended indigenous people, it's most likely racist. If indigenous people acknowledged that it was also truthful, then it's realist.

It's a fine, fine line we walk and sadly I don't ever see a time when we won't as a society. That's sad.

top post booney.

aboriginal kids from a remote community would need very different support networks to a private school educated city kid. I think this is the point rendell was trying to make, but his choice of words were pretty sloppy, and i think he was taken out of context.

But as booney says, im not the one who has to decide that it was racist.

It all goes to show that we still have a long way to go in some circumstances, and support networks for 17/18 year old kids that are whisked off interstate would seem to be one of the most important, not just for aboriginal kids but for all young blokes.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:19 am

Hindsight suggests that Rendell has had plenty of warnings for other things previously. Soon as the club was given the chance they cut him off....

He has never denied the clubs media releases that say he has had previous issues internally prior to these comments and they then decided these were out of line and the last straw.

I think he was dealt harshly however there is substance otherwise it would be dragged through the courts....
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby smac » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:42 am

The courts are no place for a man who wants another job.

He was bollocked by an organisation that was keen to collect points from the master franchisee. It helped with future negotiations, apparently.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby NO-MERCY » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:29 am

Dols wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:I reckon plenty of white dudes have lost the plot also. Need to get bennymac up here with some tldr stats posts I reckon. As for Rendell, he put his foot in it and was hung out to dry by the AFL.

regards,

REB

Unfortunately in this day & age if you talk about a white person losing the plot your a realist, if you talk about black your a racist. :oops:
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby gossipgirl » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:02 am

Dols wrote:

regards,

REB

he he clueless :roll:
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby JK » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 pm

smac wrote:The courts are no place for a man who wants another job.

He was bollocked by an organisation that was keen to collect points from the master franchisee. It helped with future negotiations, apparently.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Spot on mate!! He ended up at a big club, so thankfully worked out for him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Board index   Football  AFL