The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 2:49 pm

UK Fan wrote:The Board and the Chief Executive Officer have, for some time, been discussing the best organisational structure that will best benefit the Woodville West Torrens Football Club Inc. and the Eagles Club Inc. in the future. The best organisational structure for the Club will be one that will provide sufficient resources to the Football Department to ensure their continued competitiveness and success on field.

In addition, the South Australian National Football League has required that all Clubs achieve a cash surplus of $100,000 each year, starting from 2016. This cash surplus must be achieved by all Clubs, excluding any funds distributed from the sale of AAMI stadium.

In light of the above, the Board has adopted a new organisational structure which has a Football Manager overseeing the football department and a
Commercial Manager overseeing the licensed premises, marketing and membership. This new organisational structure does not have a Chief Executive Officer and will enable WWTFC to achieve financial viability and meet the SANFL’s financial performance requirement.
It is therefore, with regret, that our Chief Executive Officer, Mr Peter Schwarz, will be leaving the WWTFC on 27th May 2016. We take this opportunity to thank Peter for all that he has done for the Club and for being instrumental in the scoping and adoption of this new organisational structure.
Further information will follow regarding the new structure.
Regards,

Kurt Slaven
Woodville West Torrens Football Club
President

Anyone know when the requirement for this 100K fund was announced? Interested to know the penalties for failing to achieve it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue May 17, 2016 5:35 pm

Could be premierships points.
No point in a $ fine.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 17, 2016 6:13 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Could be premierships points.
No point in a $ fine.

Well that would at least explain West's form this season
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 17, 2016 6:19 pm

How many clubs actually posted a profit last year.
Now it's a requirement to have a $100,000 surplus?
Bit hard to achieve when each club has to play 4 games per year against teams that don't take winning as seriously as say, resting players during games so they'll be fit for the demands of a completely different league.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:44 pm

therisingblues wrote:How many clubs actually posted a profit last year.

IIRC only two - North and Sturt?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Tue May 17, 2016 6:48 pm

If only they had done this when wasting 14 million on PAFC we wouldn't be in this situation
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue May 17, 2016 7:09 pm

Bit hard to achieve when each club has to play 4 games per year against teams that don't take winning as seriously as say, resting players during games so they'll be fit for the demands of a completely different league.

North did, I think South did, not sure about the rest. Pretty sure the Bay's didn't.

It would help if the true SANFL clubs were adequately compensated for the loss of revenue having the AFL Reserves in the league. $50k p.a. Is a joke
The promised additional media exposure, ergo more sponsorship revenue hasn't materialised, and neither has the promised increase in attendances, ergo more revenue through the gates and in the grounds.

All of this makes the $50k look a paltry sum, and even more so as media exposure and attendances are actually down since the AFL Reserves joined the league. Clubs are having to rely more and more on gaming revenue to sustain them and though this at least keeps some of the clubs viable as a business, it detracts from the true essence of what they are and why they exist, to be football clubs.

I think SANFL and the Clubs have sold themselves short by not realising their own value when it came to the deal with the two AFL Clubs. They needed the SANFL far more than SANFL and the league needed them, and they should have demanded a much better deal than the one they got. This is possibly the biggest travesty of the whole affair.

Perhpaps the SANFL clubs should have asked the WAFL to negotiate on their behalf instead.

For SANFL to now make this $100k surplus demand on the back of falling media and attendance revenues and a poorly negotiated incentive deal, all of which they themselves are responsible for, just shows how far removed from reality they actually are and how badly run the SANFL is.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Wow.
This is simply astounding.
The SANFL will just be Port v Crows every week in years to come
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 8:11 pm

Well said JTC.

Presumably this 100k fund target needs to be met by the end of this year/season. Surely there are clubs that are in financial positions that simply cannot satisfy this requirement, such as Glenelg?
Magellan
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 17, 2016 8:45 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Wow.
This is simply astounding.
The SANFL will just be Port v Crows every week in years to come

Yes. This is correct.
We could just form up a team to play them each week, and then disband until it is time to play them again for as much as they care. What happens to the league the very minute they have left the field is none of their concern, as long as they have an opponent to practice with week after week. The only thing that would bother them about that arrangement is that they would prefer stiffer opposition than what would be provided by teams that only play once every 5 weeks.
Irony is though, that they wanted the SANFL because of the quality of the competition, which was enabled by its popularity. Their presence in the competition is slowly eroding that popularity away, and the standard would most definitely fall as a response.
Then what will they do?
Would have been better if they just bypassed the SANFL league to begin with and just gone straight to the SANFL reserves. Because that's the standard they will be left with once their GAF attitude about the integrity of the competition finally takes its toll.

They're like the damn aliens out of that Independence Day movie, who go around sucking all the goodness out of whatever world they encounter, and then just move on once that world perishes and has nothing left to offer.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 pm

And what about the consequences for not reaching the $100,000 surplus target.
I find the silence on that disturbing.
In the absence of an explanation, I'll postulate that the SANFL will take over the finances of non-compliant clubs. Such clubs would then be allowed to only spend what the SANFL gives them, they will get to continue their existence in name and they still have a team that plays week in week out, barring all the byes that are piled on them. In exchange the SANFL controls their vote, their policies and any power to exercise an opinion whatsoever will belong to the SANFL as the price for not meeting the $100,000 surplus target.
Until I hear of the official explanation of what the consequences are, I will not rule out the possibility that it might be what I have described here.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 9:10 pm

therisingblues wrote:And what about the consequences for not reaching the $100,000 surplus target.
I find the silence on that disturbing.
In the absence of an explanation, I'll postulate that the SANFL will take over the finances of non-compliant clubs. Such clubs would then be allowed to only spend what the SANFL gives them, they will get to continue their existence in name and they still have a team that plays week in week out, barring all the byes that are piled on them. In exchange the SANFL controls their vote, their policies and any power to exercise an opinion whatsoever will belong to the SANFL as the price for not meeting the $100,000 surplus target.
Until I hear of the official explanation of what the consequences are, I will not rule out the possibility that it might be what I have described here.

Based on TRB's hypothesis and last year's financials, the SANFL are going to be plenty busy next year.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Also, this missive that ukfan posted earlier, I presume it was that an official communication from the club? Surely the club knows of the consequences of failing to meet the target, and either way the board and members can't be happy.

Those loss-making clubs who are in the process of trying to balance the books would certainly be aggrieved, again if the SANFL somehow acquires some form of step in rights as TRB theorises.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JohnnyG » Tue May 17, 2016 9:37 pm

UK Fan wrote:If only they had done this when wasting 14 million on PAFC we wouldn't be in this situation

Hmmm now if that $14m was repaid to the SANFL, then the 8 pure Clubs could each receive $100,000pa for the next 17.5 years.
Furthermore, if Port also paid $400,000 per year to participate in the SANFL (as the Crows do), then there is another $50,000pa for each Club.
JohnnyG
Rookie

Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby therisingblues » Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Magellan wrote:Also, this missive that ukfan posted earlier, I presume it was that an official communication from the club? Surely the club knows of the consequences of failing to meet the target, and either way the board and members can't be happy.

Those loss-making clubs who are in the process of trying to balance the books would certainly be aggrieved, again if the SANFL somehow acquires some form of step in rights as TRB theorises.

Exactly, what is it that can be so bad that they don't want to say what it is?
I think they are better off telling us. If it's that bad it just might be the final straw that gets what remains of us to get active somehow.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby AFL-SA » Tue May 17, 2016 9:55 pm

This issue has been with the clubs for many, many months, and it's a surprise to all of you? Are any of you actually close to the clubs you support?

Breathtaking.
AFL-SA
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby saintal » Tue May 17, 2016 9:56 pm

johntheclaret wrote:

North did, I think South did, not sure about the rest. Pretty sure the Bay's didn't.

South made a large loss, 150K+ from memory. That was on the back of a larger loss the previous year.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby VALE PARK » Tue May 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Why not help the clubs to raise more income.
Reduce the byes from 5 to 1.
OK have a state game on that weekend just like the good old days.
Play footy every Saturday with the odd exception of a few Friday night games.
More coverage on Radio and the media,TV is hardly worthy the pain and effort,keeps payers away.
Do away with this occasional crazy starting times for league and reserves.
Drop Alberton Oval and the Magpies seconds team,the old old magpies are pretty much defunct.
If the 2 Professional teams must be included in the comp increase their fee to play to at least $250K to each of the clubs.
Play all the finals except the GF at home team ground of the higher ladder position team at the end of the minor round
Looking at the Eagles,a good example to follow,maybe reduce employees at the clubs.
Anyway worth a thought something new has to be tried.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby LPH » Tue May 17, 2016 10:07 pm

AFL-SA wrote:This issue has been with the clubs for many, many months, and it's a surprise to all of you? Are any of you actually close to the clubs you support?

Breathtaking.

If by "many, many months" you mean since season 2014? - then Yes, you would be correct 'Sherlock' :roll:
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Magellan » Tue May 17, 2016 10:18 pm

AFL-SA wrote:This issue has been with the clubs for many, many months, and it's a surprise to all of you? Are any of you actually close to the clubs you support?

Breathtaking.

Not all clubs, Einstein. Mine made a motza last year, and has done so consistently. You know that the surprise is this target thing which has come out of seemingly nowhere.

Better troll next time. Mind you, you've had a bit of practice by now with minimal improvement.

Embarrassing.
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL