The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby therisingblues » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:26 am

AFL-SA wrote:No, that would just condone the childish actions of a few who put their personal ambitions ahead off their club's.

The SANFL clubs would still receive points for matches against AFL sides.

So the reserves don't receive points but the SANFL clubs do, and somehow this doesn't condone childish actions yet if no one received points it would.
I don't get it.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Pseudo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:30 am

AFL-SA wrote:No, that would just condone the childish actions of a few who put their personal ambitions ahead off their club's.

The SANFL clubs would still receive points for matches against AFL sides.

Not acceptable. The ladder would still be distorted by the luck of the draw as the strength of the interlopers varies over the season.

The only entertainable compromise is one which treats the interloper matches for what they are: practice games which have no bearing on the premiership. Pure Ladder (tm) FTW.

Of course this compromise still does not address issues like fixturing, and as such can only be viewed as a temporary fix until the garbage is removed, or leaves of its own accord.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby AFL-SA » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:36 am

Then continue to wallow in your self pity because your wish is something that will not happen.
AFL-SA
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:49 am

So you have it within your power to grant what you propose but not what Pseudo has?
Wow... You must be important!
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby RB » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

sib wrote:They will leave all together if forced to choose and go to VFL or Amatuers League

Why do they all say this as if care factor > zero?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Who would have believed their entry would effectively shut down footy for 4 weeks of the footy season!
Byes do not progress the code or add 1 dollar for the survival of clubs in SA.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Reddeer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:40 pm

VALE PARK wrote:Who would have believed their entry would effectively shut down footy for 4 weeks of the footy season!
Byes do not progress the code or add 1 dollar for the survival of clubs in SA.

Another one of the most ludicrous actions of the now completely compromised and denigrated comp
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:12 pm

If certain club presidents didn't put their personal ambitions ahead of their club's, their members or the league for that matter, we wouldn't find ourselves in one of the most laughable , uneven, nonsensical competitions in world sport.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Reddeer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:31 pm

Spargo wrote:

If certain club presidents didn't put their personal ambitions ahead of their club's, their members or the league for that matter, we wouldn't find ourselves in one of the most laughable , uneven, nonsensical competitions in world sport.

Well summed up. Shakespeare couldn't write a greater farce than what the SANFL has become
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:04 am

Pseudo wrote:
AFL-SA wrote:The AFL sides won't leave and AFL-SA won't entertain removing them, a compromise is the only way forward.

Hint: pressure you clubs along these lines, it's the only chance of (limited) success, think of what would satisfy AFL-SA, the AFL clubs and the SANFL clubs, this is the Holy Grail.

A simple solution staring everyone in the face is to just change one thing, the AFL sides do not receive premiership points.

You mean adopt the Pure Ladder (tm)?
ha... You'd have to have points on the Pure Ladder before you can play for them. ;)
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:07 am

Reddeer wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
sib wrote:The SANFL clubs can have as many meetings as they want but Crows and Power wont allow it to go back to the old system. Crows worked too hard to get their reserves side. They will leave all together if forced to choose and go to VFL or Amatuers League

Good, don't let the door hit them on the way out!

Agree
They wont even consider making the comp slightly LEVEL by restricting the AFL numbers to about 13/14 and also I reckon that their players should be ineligible to play against the team from whom they were recruited i.e. Grigg v Norwood, etc

The way Norwood are going Grigg would probably win.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby matt35 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:51 am

Sib is spot on. Any thoughts of returning to the pre 2014 system is pure dreaming by anyone suggesting it. The AFL sides are simply not going to return to a system that had their players spread through the competition, playing under different coaches, different game plans etc and that is completely understandable. Any change to the current system would see the AFL sides either head to the VFL or the amos. As usual, nobody on here wants to consider what that would actually mean. A significant drop in the standard of the comp with not only the AFL listed players gone, but also the SANFL being seen less as a place for aspiring AFL Footballers than currently. No tv; why would they? Pretty sure the most watched game so far this season was Sunday's Glenelg v Adelaide game, with an average audience of 47k viewers, pretty decent for a Sunday afternoon. No tv and almost no media =even harder for clubs to attract sponsors than currently. All this for what, when fears of the sky falling in, AFL domination, Crows v Port Grand Finals every year, etc etc etc have not been and never were going to be realised? But hey, if this did happen, at least some regulars could get the satisfaction of giving the AFL a good kicking!
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Jim05 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:04 am

matt35 wrote:Sib is spot on. Any thoughts of returning to the pre 2014 system is pure dreaming by anyone suggesting it. The AFL sides are simply not going to return to a system that had their players spread through the competition, playing under different coaches, different game plans etc and that is completely understandable. Any change to the current system would see the AFL sides either head to the VFL or the amos. As usual, nobody on here wants to consider what that would actually mean. A significant drop in the standard of the comp with not only the AFL listed players gone, but also the SANFL being seen less as a place for aspiring AFL Footballers than currently. No tv; why would they? Pretty sure the most watched game so far this season was Sunday's Glenelg v Adelaide game, with an average audience of 47k viewers, pretty decent for a Sunday afternoon. No tv and almost no media =even harder for clubs to attract sponsors than currently. All this for what, when fears of the sky falling in, AFL domination, Crows v Port Grand Finals every year, etc etc etc have not been and never were going to be realised? But hey, if this did happen, at least some regulars could get the satisfaction of giving the AFL a good kicking!

There will be no TV coverage next year regardless, C7 have already pulled out.
Honestly don't give a stuff if these go to the Amos or VFL, would rather the comp fold or just turn into a u18 comp than the system we currently have
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby another grub » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:37 am

The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).
Joining the Amo's would be a joke standard wise and it wouldn't be viable to join the VFL $$$ wise.
We just have to put up with it as I think it is here to stay unless there is a national reserves comp set up with all AFL reserves.
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 451 times
Been liked: 413 times

Postby tipper » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:14 pm

another grub wrote:The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).
Joining the Amo's would be a joke standard wise and it wouldn't be viable to join the VFL $$$ wise.
We just have to put up with it as I think it is here to stay unless there is a national reserves comp set up with all AFL reserves.

you make the mistake of thinking that the sanfl should care about the best place for the afl reserves sides. the sanfl should only be concerned with what is best for the sanfl, and ive got news for you, it isnt having afl reserves sides in the competition...

memberships are down, crowds are down, it now costs the sanfl 1 million dollars a year to televise the two reserves sides more than the traditional clubs, instead of the few hundred thousand it cost to do it on the abc (and as already noted, channel 7 are pulling out anyway so there will soon be no coverage at all) reportedly sponsorship of traditional clubs is down, we now have more bye's per team than ever before, and less games per season (when one of the "advantages" of bringing in the reserves was to eliminate the bye...) media interest is down, when i lower myself to look a the tizer, the sanfl dont even normally get a whole page, and dont start me on moving the grand final, the sanfl used to get a whole week to themselves leading up to it, now its lost in the circus that is the afl....

the only winners i can see out of the arrangement, is the afl clubs, and that shouldnt be the sanfl's problem. cutting their own throat to help out the big brother? why would you?

meanwhile, i also agree that returning to the previous arrangement shouldnt be considered. it was a crap system, although it was better than the current schemozzle, surely we can do better with mark 3.
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby JK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:30 pm

matt35 wrote:Sib is spot on. Any thoughts of returning to the pre 2014 system is pure dreaming by anyone suggesting it. The AFL sides are simply not going to return to a system that had their players spread through the competition, playing under different coaches, different game plans etc and that is completely understandable. Any change to the current system would see the AFL sides either head to the VFL or the amos. As usual, nobody on here wants to consider what that would actually mean. A significant drop in the standard of the comp with not only the AFL listed players gone, but also the SANFL being seen less as a place for aspiring AFL Footballers than currently. No tv; why would they? Pretty sure the most watched game so far this season was Sunday's Glenelg v Adelaide game, with an average audience of 47k viewers, pretty decent for a Sunday afternoon. No tv and almost no media =even harder for clubs to attract sponsors than currently. All this for what, when fears of the sky falling in, AFL domination, Crows v Port Grand Finals every year, etc etc etc have not been and never were going to be realised? But hey, if this did happen, at least some regulars could get the satisfaction of giving the AFL a good kicking!

There's no way the Amateur league would give the AFL clubs what they want .. I highly doubt it would meet their OHS standards either
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Pseudo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:42 pm

JK wrote:There's no way the Amateur league would give the AFL clubs what they want .. I highly doubt it would meet their OHS standards either

And yet the president of my former club was adamant that the Crows would go to the ammos if the SANFL didn't yield to them.

Hoodwinked.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:52 pm

Pseudo wrote:
JK wrote:There's no way the Amateur league would give the AFL clubs what they want .. I highly doubt it would meet their OHS standards either

And yet the president of my former club was adamant that the Crows would go to the ammos if the SANFL didn't yield to them.

Hoodwinked.

I'd question whether deep down any presidents feared that, or even believed it. Think it was just another arrow in the quiver that was fired for them to justify their decision that would have been based on other reasons.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RB » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:44 pm

another grub wrote:The perfect standard for the 2 local AFL reserves sides is the SANFL. As you can see with a full list they are strong sides (almost unbeatable ie ravens at present) and a real test for the SANFL sides. But with a few injuries they are average sides (ie Power at the moment).

I always said that the best place for them is the SANFL Reserves competition. Nobody gives a stuff about the Reserves, and the SANFL League competition would be pure.

Still can't see why this was never/isn't being considered...
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 765 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:55 pm

AFL-SA wrote:Then continue to wallow in your self pity because your wish is something that will not happen.

Or you could cry free kick to Hawthorn.

Another solution; play for points in the SANFL reserves. All the benefits of a serious competition, whilst allowing for development (for both AFL and SANFL clubs) and at a higher standard than the Ammo's.

But that's not the real motivation is it. We all know just why you wanted into the SANFL.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL