Clubs in strife

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: Clubs in strife

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:00 pm

Q. wrote:But, there might be merit in suggesting the structure of the Junior system is affecting the sustainability of senior clubs

Indeed if you follow the passage of this thread it started as people blaming the downfall of Kilburn and Brahma Lodge on a lack of foresight in their junior programs which lead to retorts that the Junior system is inherently unfair.

Trying to identify the problems of "clubs in strife" without considering systemic problems in football, particularly in junior football, is akin to trying to diagnose cancer by listening to a persons symptoms rather than getting them an MRI scan.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1203 times
Been liked: 725 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:06 pm

Old Dog New Tricks wrote:
jo172 wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:Everyone has ignored it so far, so why wouldn't you join your juniors in a league where you know the rules will do their best to ensure a more even playing field?

Because who wants to get to an 8am Under 8 game at Smithfield when they live at Mitchell Park?
Why would that be a threat?

Edit - I don't mean going to Smithfield, I mean MP having to play Smiffies

Well, as I live just the other side of Smithfield, I figure the issue would be the fact that if you were from Mitchell Park an 8am game would mean you'd need to be at the ground by 7.15. Which means leaving home by 6.30 at the latest. Which means getting yourself up at 5.50 and getting the kid up at 6. I reckon a few parents would baulk at that.

However, nothing wrong with running north/east/west and south zones for junior footy if SAAFL did take it over.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:08 pm

jo172 wrote:
Q. wrote:But, there might be merit in suggesting the structure of the Junior system is affecting the sustainability of senior clubs

Indeed if you follow the passage of this thread it started as people blaming the downfall of Kilburn and Brahma Lodge on a lack of foresight in their junior programs which lead to retorts that the Junior system is inherently unfair.

Trying to identify the problems of "clubs in strife" without considering systemic problems in football, particularly in junior football, is akin to trying to diagnose cancer by listening to a persons symptoms rather than getting them an MRI scan.

So we've established there's a problem.

Now, everyone go back and ask your club delegates how your club voted when the option for the SAAFL to take over was proposed.

Then stop whinging. 8)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1741 times
Been liked: 2148 times

Postby Robb_Stark » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

one problem you have is N.E.M.J.A structure is very good at the moment compared to what the SAAFL offered at the time footy chick like i said working together would be just as easy
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:13 pm

and yes, this was the problem at the time.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby jo172 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:17 pm

I was of, and remain of, the opinion that NEMJFA is the best run and overall best junior competition in Australia, particularly in terms of staving off the AFL's stupid rule incursions.

It would take a lot to make me even consider abandoning it.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby smac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:07 pm

Footy Chick wrote:Everyone has ignored it so far, so why wouldn't you join your juniors in a league where you know the rules will do their best to ensure a more even playing field?
You mean in a league that isn't sustaining itself very well? Yeah, give them more.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:17 pm

What do you mean by that?

Footy Chick

Postby smac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:19 pm

Put juniors in the SAAFL that is full of clubs flailing isn't the answer.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk
smac
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 pm

So are you saying it's the leagues fault that clubs are failing? If so, how or what implementations would you put in place to ensure clubs don't close their doors?

and I ask because you have a bit of experience in this area.

Footy Chick

Postby marbles » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:43 pm

is nice to say we'll take any kid who wants a game, and not endure the heartache of kicking him along to another club

but when you have 5 under 10 teams, and 2 under 11 teams, arent you inevitably gonna tell the majority of the upcoming under 10s to bugger off anyway cos you cant fit them all into the minimal under 11 vacancies?

you're just prolonging this kids heartache of not being able to play for ya, and depriving the other clubs of players at the same time
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby smac » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Footy Chick wrote:So are you saying it's the leagues fault that clubs are failing? If so, how or what implementations would you put in place to ensure clubs don't close their doors?

and I ask because you have a bit of experience in this area.
Not necessarily their fault, but they have enough on their plates keeping things together with seniors. If they don't focus on that challenge then they'll be in more strife than the early settlers.

A time of crisis isn't a time to add something they don't know much about to the to do list.
smac
Coach

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:12 pm

Footy Chick wrote:
Old Dog New Tricks wrote:
jo172 wrote:

Because who wants to get to an 8am Under 8 game at Smithfield when they live at Mitchell Park?
Why would that be a threat?

Edit - I don't mean going to Smithfield, I mean MP having to play Smiffies

Where did anyone say threat? :?

and if you really believe you'd have kiddies spanning the state to play a game of footy that doesn't even keep score, you've got marbles in your head.

and yes, that's an insult ;)
I was asking where anyone has said they'd have to drive from one end of the city to the other?
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:19 pm

Robb_Stark wrote:one problem you have is N.E.M.J.A structure is very good at the moment compared to what the SAAFL offered at the time footy chick like i said working together would be just as easy
Is that the same NEMJFA structure where the secretary was recently quoted as saying what happens to players when they leave juniors is none of their concern & U16s are more trouble than they're worth.

I can see how you think they have football's best interests at heart.
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Postby panthers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:27 pm

Because who wants to get to an 8am Under 8 game at Smithfield when they live at Mitchell Park?[/quote]Why would that be a threat?

Edit - I don't mean going to Smithfield, I mean MP having to play Smiffies[/quote]

Where did anyone say threat? :?

and if you really believe you'd have kiddies spanning the state to play a game of footy that doesn't even keep score, you've got marbles in your head.

and yes, that's an insult ;)[/quote]I was asking where anyone has said they'd have to drive from one end of the city to the other?[/quote]

Well old Dog when my son was 15 we had to be at Sheriffs road at 8am for his sport, on a Sunday. Wasn't football granted, but just to let you know that sort of thing dose happen.
Its More than a Game !!!
panthers
Rookie

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby Old Dog New Tricks » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:36 pm

panthers wrote:Well old Dog when my son was 15 we had to be at Sheriffs road at 8am for his sport, on a Sunday. Wasn't football granted, but just to let you know that sort of thing dose happen.
What competition was that?
Old Dog New Tricks
Rookie

Postby Robb_Stark » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 am

Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs
Robb_Stark
League - Best 21

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 155 times

Postby jo172 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:38 am

Robb_Stark wrote:Mawson Lakes and Pooraka have the same postcode the league should have made them merge ...........regardless of what club you are how much cash you got some of these clubs are just to near eachother and should be forced to merge

Greenacres and gepps cross
Pooraka and mawson lakes
smithfield and elizabeth
north pines and salisbury west

these are just a few i can think of and while people will get there knickers in a knot the future of the game is more important then any of your clubs

I agree there needs to be a rationalisation, but I don't think geography is the way it should be worked out.

I think the SAAFL starts needing to set some hard and fast rules, namely if you only field one side in consecutive seasons you get disaffiliated and face considerable barriers on re-entry.

Whilst we admire the Ovinghams and WIngfields for their continued fight (albeit often literally with those particular clubs) their continued existence when the writing is clearly on the rule further drains resources from the rest of the league.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:47 am

Robb_Stark wrote: smithfield and elizabeth

Them's fighting words ;)

But...we're in a reasonably good position. Three senior sides plus more juniors than we've ever had. We're not struggling and I think a merger with Smithfield would be met with much resistance. It has been met that way in the past - by both sides.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:13 am

After long consideration i've decided - stuff the struggling clubs..

If clubs fall over - as sad as it would be - it just means the other clubs in the area should in theory become stronger. Stronger clubs make for a stronger competition and easier to attract new people to play.

Or get rid of the 'C divisions and go back to having D9 and D10 north/south :P
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League