The Umpiring was good.... wait. what?

Talk on the national game

Re: The Umpiring was good.... wait. what?

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:30 pm

whufc wrote:Caught about an hour of AFL in round 1 and agree the umpiring seemed pretty reasonable.

Unfortunately though when I see a Boak/Simpson deciscion it makes me ill and I have to switch off. The umpire made the right call under the ruling but it kills the game for me, surely there has to be too for common sense when there is a great one on one battle

=D>
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:43 pm

I completely agree that the umpiring was much better. The rule that still needs to be 'fixed' IMO is the holding the ball where a guy takes possession (more often than not, on the ground) and gets jumped on by a heap of players. The ball gets held in and they get pinged. Shocking rule and does nothing for the game.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby cracka » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:00 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I completely agree that the umpiring was much better. The rule that still needs to be 'fixed' IMO is the holding the ball where a guy takes possession (more often than not, on the ground) and gets jumped on by a heap of players. The ball gets held in and they get pinged. Shocking rule and does nothing for the game.

100% agree.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:16 pm

gadj1976 wrote:I completely agree that the umpiring was much better. The rule that still needs to be 'fixed' IMO is the holding the ball where a guy takes possession (more often than not, on the ground) and gets jumped on by a heap of players. The ball gets held in and they get pinged. Shocking rule and does nothing for the game.

i actually think the rule about having to knock it on instead of camping on it is a good thing as a rule, the problem is when the guy is going hammer and tongs to get the ball and it is held to him.

one thing that rule has stopped is the third man in, from the team that has the ball, just trying to hold the ball up.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:55 pm

The umpiring has been fantastic this week as well. I'm all for knocking them but this week has been a breath of fresh air. Yep, some frees missed but I can accept those, it's the ones like Lewis diving like he did that wasn't paid that makes the difference.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:58 pm

gadj1976 wrote:The umpiring has been fantastic this week as well. I'm all for knocking them but this week has been a breath of fresh air. Yep, some frees missed but I can accept those, it's the ones like Lewis diving like he did that wasn't paid that makes the difference.

i would rather them miss some than pull some out of thin air, and i think most people would agree
bennymacca
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 pm

bennymacca wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:The umpiring has been fantastic this week as well. I'm all for knocking them but this week has been a breath of fresh air. Yep, some frees missed but I can accept those, it's the ones like Lewis diving like he did that wasn't paid that makes the difference.

i would rather them miss some than pull some out of thin air, and i think most people would agree

Completely agree.

But you obviously disagree with yourself!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Normal service has returned this round. Duckwood still the most protected, its a disgrace the amount of soft ones he still gets for ducking his head, it really needs to be taken off one day. Can just imagine the sooking from Cats fans when he gets his jaw smashed and no free kick
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Normal service has returned this round. Duckwood still the most protected, its a disgrace the amount of soft ones he still gets for ducking his head, it really needs to be taken off one day. Can just imagine the sooking from Cats fans when he gets his jaw smashed and no free kick
So you think he shouldn't get a free kick when he gets his jaw smashed? Really? :roll:
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby TEX07 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:24 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Sorry Dude wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Deliberate rule still shits me, seems different rules for different clubs. Last year against the Hawks we kick the ball 60 metres forward towards goals and it rolls out sideways after it bounces and its deliberate. Crows players kick sideways directly at the boundary with no players near by and its a throw in last game.
I just don't get it.

Which one(s) are you talking about? The only one I noticed was the Talia hack from the centre square that went out of bounds...Which was called deliberate.

Quite right too. It was what he was trying to do and the umpire called him on it.

regards,

REB

Agreed, in this instance he didn't have a lot of other options, but he was trying to get the ball out of bounds. Could argue where was his team mates to support him???

A lot of crows supporters I heard at yesterday's game where complaining about the umps, I thought we actually had a fair ride fom them. Ports frees were there because they were first to the ball, pretty hard to give an in the back when your in front.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:27 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Normal service has returned this round. Duckwood still the most protected, its a disgrace the amount of soft ones he still gets for ducking his head, it really needs to be taken off one day. Can just imagine the sooking from Cats fans when he gets his jaw smashed and no free kick
So you think he shouldn't get a free kick when he gets his jaw smashed? Really? :roll:

Not if he ducks his head
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby kickinit » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:00 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:

Not if he ducks his head

Totally agree. Douglas did it against hammer yesterday (pretty sure it was hammer), laid the tackle around his stomach/chest douglas ducks out of the tackle and arms end up going over the players head. Whats a player suppose to do.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:12 pm

Who is hammer?
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby carey » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:17 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Who is hammer?

Hartlett
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Lol
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:47 pm

Umpiring atm is awesome compared to the SANFL. 10 years ago the SANFL was more atractive to watch than the AFL, its clearly the opposite now for footy fans.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:Umpiring atm is awesome compared to the SANFL. 10 years ago the SANFL was more atractive to watch than the AFL, its clearly the opposite now for footy fans.

there has been a massive transition from what we saw last year to this year. I'm putting that down to Mark Evans and the removal of Gieschen. Both elements have had an affect IMO.

Love watching the games now. I've only had to throw the remote at the TV 11 times this year, compared to 32 at the same time last year. Most of the 11 are Jeff Garlett, walkingintoanopengoal-related though.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:28 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Love watching the games now. I've only had to throw the remote at the TV 11 times this year, compared to 32 at the same time last year. Most of the 11 are Jeff Garlett, walkingintoanopengoal-related though.

:lol:

Jeff Garlett- Jason Dunstall would have had a field day with that one last night!
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby bennymacca » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:40 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Umpiring atm is awesome compared to the SANFL. 10 years ago the SANFL was more atractive to watch than the AFL, its clearly the opposite now for footy fans.

there has been a massive transition from what we saw last year to this year. I'm putting that down to Mark Evans and the removal of Gieschen. Both elements have had an affect IMO.

Love watching the games now. I've only had to throw the remote at the TV 11 times this year, compared to 32 at the same time last year. Most of the 11 are Jeff Garlett, walkingintoanopengoal-related though.

Lol

Agreed though. Sure, there are still mistakes, but they are much fewer and far between, and way less annoying soft ones
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jase » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:55 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Well I've thrown my remote more than you, Jarrad Waite, ******* muppet... :evil:
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL