Eric 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Eric 2014

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:28 pm

I think the issue really needs to be is why is there not an AFL Reserves competition. Other sports with significant less income and media coverage are able to have reserve comps. I thought the AFL was the biggest sport in Australia??? perhaps not
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:30 pm

Lot of people don't like the bye, but I don't ever remember anyone saying bring in the Crows reserves to get rid of it. More people were of the opinion to get rid of Port to make the bye disappear.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby MightyEagles » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:33 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think the issue really needs to be is why is there not an AFL Reserves competition. Other sports with significant less income and media coverage are able to have reserve comps. I thought the AFL was the biggest sport in Australia??? perhaps not

I agree, even EPL teams have reserves teams.
WOOOOO, Premiers 1993, 2006 and 2011!
Eagles - P 528 W 320 L 205 D 3 W% 60.89
WFC - P 575 W 160 L 411 D 4 W% 28.17
WTFC - P 1568 W 702 L 841 D 25 W% 45.56
Total - P 2671 W 1183 L 1457 D 32 W% 44.88
3 Flags - 1 Club
MightyEagles
Coach

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: United Eagles

Postby JK » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:49 pm

MightyEagles wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think the issue really needs to be is why is there not an AFL Reserves competition. Other sports with significant less income and media coverage are able to have reserve comps. I thought the AFL was the biggest sport in Australia??? perhaps not

No point thinking about that because it aint gonna happen for a long time, if at all!

Most AFL clubs made a loss last season, some quite heavy, so to tell them they need to increase their playing list and salary cap (on top of the Cap increases that are already planned) just won't fly and wouldn't even be a consideration for a long time.

The AFLPA has also been keeping a close eye on the %of player payroll against expenses for a while now and comparing it to other sports/codes globally, so they will no doubt keep pushing for continued increases at every turn.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby areaman » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:Yeah ideally no bye and a lot more rounds than 18 though, but 18 does have its merits with it being the fairest draw since I was born possibly ever.

The excitement over the end of the bye has me baffled.

I can't work out how having a few split rounds is any different to having a bye due to uneven numbers.

It's still a few weekends without footy just for a different reason.

I'd love someone to enlighten me why a weekend off for a split round is superior to a weekend off due to an uneven number of teams.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:16 pm

Are the two AFL clubs top up players included in their AFL salary cap?
If not why not? They are an essential part of the AFL clubs development
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby cracka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:56 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Are the two AFL clubs top up players included in their AFL salary cap?
If not why not? They are an essential part of the AFL clubs development

Probably the same reasons why Box Hill players not on Hawthorns list are not included in their salary cap.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 559 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Wedgie » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:13 pm

areaman wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Yeah ideally no bye and a lot more rounds than 18 though, but 18 does have its merits with it being the fairest draw since I was born possibly ever.

The excitement over the end of the bye has me baffled.

I can't work out how having a few split rounds is any different to having a bye due to uneven numbers.

It's still a few weekends without footy just for a different reason.

I'd love someone to enlighten me why a weekend off for a split round is superior to a weekend off due to an uneven number of teams.

Its not, I'd prefer neither, get rid of state games too. Love the old days of up to 27 weeks of watching North play.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Wedgie wrote:
whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
UK Fan wrote:This is exactly what Trigg and Olsen want you to do!!!! They are banking on you being mindless sheep like crows fans.

You know what?
I don't care what Trigg and Olden think, I'm sure they don't care what I think.
If I did and stayed away I'd be a sheep then.
Move on mate, your stance and a couple of others in the minority has gone from admirable to very boring.
Only sheep I've seen at SANFL games are those who go from end to end but they've been missing for a while, I always looked for a shepherd at the back at they bleated away. :lol:

Oops small fat fingers on phone didnt mean to like that post, the opposite in fact.

Geez UkFan how dare u not bend over and take it up the ass quietly after you failed to shrug of big bad bubby.

It's great to see someone stick by their word and stand for something they care about.

It's far to common to see in our current society people kick up a fuss about something and then when they lose the battle they just roll over accept it and let the big guys win without a fight.

Wedgie what would have happened to North Adelaide if you didn't keep up the fight for their survival and just accepted the big guys decision

Why do you continue to judge others?
I like to spend time with my mates, you prefer to make a point than spend time with mates or don't have them. Fair enough.
I don't care what you think just like you don't care about what Olsen and Trigg think.
I'm not aware of any "big guy" that made a decision to get rid of North Adelaide. Please explain.
Truth be told even though I jumped on your wagon last year if you went back over SAFooty you'd see I actually suggested the Crows reserves should be in the SANFL for years, byes are unnatural, I agree with anything to get rid of them and anything to stop AFL players going up and down from my club disrupting it. Getting to watch North at Prospect and abuse Crows supporters at the same time, a true football fan's delight and utopia. :D
I had much more issues with 2 clubs merging than the latest setup which solves a bit of the mess the merger created, ie byes.

I have never bagged anyone on here who choses to still go to SANFL games, having met you a few times and posted on here for years you have always came across as strongly opinionated, strong minded, action kind of guy and was very surprised to read you bagging someone for offering a peaceful way of standing up for what they believed in.

I agree Eric should be left to rip, all he would achieve this year is confrontation and hooligan status, but 100% agree that the only protest that the other SANFL clubs may listen to is a massive drop in attendance and therefore income.

The bye is not a big deal for me, it's not make or break infact I enjoy spending the odd Saturday doing family things, it's also gives me a chance to spend time with mates who play SANFL football doing non football related things.

On another note it was interesting and made me very pleased that my daughters school had a casual dress day and that A-League/EPL tops outnumbered AFL/SANFL guernseys almost 4 to 1. Van Persie shirts outnumbered the great number 32 Crows guernsey
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5564 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby topsywaldron » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:11 pm

o five wrote:If the Cows and Puffs were to be kicked out of the SANFL next year or the year after, do people think the SANFL would flourish again or gradually fade away into a 500 to 1000 person attended compition?(

It would depend on whether the League and the club's directors had the courage to realise the SANFL is never going to be the AFL-lite and focused on being the community based competition it actually is. Or, as of six months ago, was.

A mate of mine whose kids go Norwood Primary swears that not once have the club ever sent a flier, leaflet, player, free tickets or indeed any kind of communication to the school in the last five years. The school is about forty metres from the centre circle of Norwood Oval.

There's your problem IMHO.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:27 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
o five wrote:If the Cows and Puffs were to be kicked out of the SANFL next year or the year after, do people think the SANFL would flourish again or gradually fade away into a 500 to 1000 person attended compition?(

It would depend on whether the League and the club's directors had the courage to realise the SANFL is never going to be the AFL-lite and focused on being the community based competition it actually is. Or, as of six months ago, was.

A mate of mine whose kids go Norwood Primary swears that not once have the club ever sent a flier, leaflet, player, free tickets or indeed any kind of communication to the school in the last five years. The school is about forty metres from the centre circle of Norwood Oval.

There's your problem IMHO.

100% agree

Centrals have really let its self down as well in that regard.

Go back 5 years or so and you couldn't go to the Elizabeth centre on a Thursday night without seeing a couple of Centrals players running a clinic, handing out posters, tickets etc etc

Football clinics at the schools are also very limited these days.

But hey it's only the supporters fault Centrals crowds are dropping just ask Kris Grant and co
whufc
Coach

Postby Ecky » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:29 pm

MightyEagles wrote:

The NFL doesn't and I see the AFL moving towards their model more if anything. Search for Phil Herden's posts on the NFL regarding this debate and you will see that elite sport can work fine without any reserves competition at all.
John Olsen, June 2012 wrote:"Reserves teams in the SANFL for the two AFL clubs is not negotiable.
We will not compromise the SANFL competition (with AFL reserves teams)."
Ecky
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 79 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide Lutheran

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm

I am with you UK i too will stand by my word and support my club by the following

1 Paid up member
2 Home match package
3 Attending home games only against true SANFL teams
4 Drinking dining and punting at the club
5 Playing da Pokies at the club
6 Not attending Alberton where my money now will go into the Powers coffers

In other words FAAAAARKK the AFL AFL AFL CROW/POWserves !!!!!!

Seems all the sheep have been herded in are ready to be shorn and fleeced its a total sham Baa Baa Baaa !!!!!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby RB » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:45 pm

o five wrote:I voted NO, but feel now we are stuck with it. Like it or not. :(

Since when did anyone get a vote?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:53 pm

O five its already happened in WA minor round crowds are around 1,000 to 2,000 they did not publish actual figures last year as they were very dismal it was always APPROX etc etc.

We all gotta hope it does not happen over here in SA.

Everyone should really open their eyes and see the Grand Master Plan the AFL ISATION of state leagues in Australia.

How long before we a have national AFL reserves then under 18,s then under 16's comps etc etc state leagues will be rebadged and under AFL control.

Those not in the AFL system will then be playing in various Amateur divisions.

This i think will be the brave new world of modern footy,
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Bit unfair to keep referring to supporters with a different viewpoint to you as sheep. It's derogatory and suggests anyone who doesn't agree with you should be insulted. And you deride Trigg's tactics, what's the difference?

Here's some observations though.
How many clubs have had an AGM since they voted for AFL Reserves into the SANFL?
How many of those board members have been voted off because of their decision to vote Yes to the AFL Reserves?
I know at North the only board member to vote no to the AFL Reserves was not re-elected?
The Crows are paying $50k per club. How many memberships does that equate to?
Sponsorship is paying for CH7. How much did ABC2 cost the clubs last year.
How much additional ground advertising will the clubs get as a result of CH7

If you think by not attending you are going to make a difference well......
Every member had a chance to make their stand at every AGM.
Talking about getting rid of the bye, I could suggest that leaving the SANFL as it was would have gotten rid of the bye alright. But not just by losing Port. I think you might have added Sturt, West and possibly Glenelg to that list.

Still a 6 club comp would get rid of the bye and what's sacraficing a couple of SANFL clubs if it means winning the No AFL Reserves argument
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby whufc » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:44 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Bit unfair to keep referring to supporters with a different viewpoint to you as sheep. It's derogatory and suggests anyone who doesn't agree with you should be insulted. And you deride Trigg's tactics, what's the difference?

How many clubs have had an AGM since they voted for AFL Reserves into the SANFL?
How many of those board members have been voted off because of their decision to vote Yes to the AFL Reserves?
I know at North the only board member to vote no to the AFL Reserves was not re-elected?

Talking about getting rid of the bye, I could suggest that leaving the SANFL as it was would have gotten rid of the bye alright. But not just by losing Port. I think you might have added Sturt, West and possibly Glenelg to that list.

Still a 6 club comp would get rid of the bye and what's sacraficing a couple of SANFL clubs if it means winning the No AFL Reserves argument

Definatly understand what your saying and for the record I'm pretty certain I haven't called anyone 'sheep'

The problem that has to be included though is that less memberships would probavly mean less income through potentially less usage of club facilities, less members probably also means less future members example being by my loss interest my two girls will now longer be spending time around SANFL football meaning less chance they will grow up liking the SANFL.

Also there is no guarentee on how long the reserves side and channel 7 will be around for
whufc
Coach

Eric 2014

Postby Jim05 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:54 pm

johntheclaret wrote:Bit unfair to keep referring to supporters with a different viewpoint to you as sheep. It's derogatory and suggests anyone who doesn't agree with you should be insulted. And you deride Trigg's tactics, what's the difference?

This is offset by Cows members getting in free to SANFL games.
This mystical figure of 4000 extra patrons Trigg and Co promised doesnt mean jack because they aren't paying a cent to get in and they will probably bring their lamingtons and thermos so no money will be spent at the ground.
They should be paying full tote entry fee atleast the clubs would have a chance of making some money
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:27 pm

johntheclaret wrote:If you think by not attending you are going to make a difference well......

Hhhhmmmm. My request for a postal vote must have been misplaced.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby UK Fan » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:20 pm

Fair points JTC!!! I'd like to apologise to those offended by my sheep reference. It wasn't my intent to offend. It wasnt directed at those(Wedgie,dedja ,JTC etc...) who have stated they will support their club no matter how the vote goes from day one. It was directed More too those fans who feel powerless towards the people in charge of our league ATM. how they have been ignored thru out and they have little choice moving forward. Without wanting to bore anyone you do have power on how to react and you do have choices moving forward. More a statement on how sa football fans have been treated sorry If that didnt come across thru my post.

I can't argue with your summary of the AGMs either. I've been very surprised by the non reaction by fans towards their boards. Very surprised by the number of people that stated they wouldn't support this that now have. And dissappointed with those who stated they would buy a membership at YES voting clubs that simply haven't been bothered. As for byes they've never bothered me. Certainly not enough to justify our comp becoming a reserves comp.

I cant agree with your $50k summation re covers members/sponsorship losses. It will cover bugger all re loss of revenue via patronage at the end of the day and is significantly less than VFL & WAFL Clubs receive.

I am on record along with LEH and Centurion that I would not renew my SANFL sponsorship or attend games under an AFL reserves model. And I stand by that call. It was tough and I empathise with Wedgies mates call as I have many people at CDFC I consider friends. I have some great memories of days out with opposition supporters, the gummy bear day with bays fans(dutchy dedja rushby and co) sharing a corporate box/being invited to North Adelaide luncheons with Wedgie,Drebin and the groggies. Similarly I have many West Adelaide(haymans) , Eagles Sturt Norwood fans as friends and have even shared beers with Been Real and booney. Even at the leagues Demise into the many years ago predicted AFl reserves model I have made an ally in my old mate madcapmilkdrinker. Unbelievable.

if anyone ever needs motivation to keep fighting or feels a sense of hopelessness about the inevitable demise of our comp. ill be here to have an encouraging word to keep fighting as i will be. All is not loss and it only will be when all start believing their us nothing we can do.

Enjoy season 2014 I wish you all the best . Ill still be watching telecast games when I can, reading match reports and hoping the dogs improve(can't see it) on season 2013.
Last edited by UK Fan on Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL