Trial Game Week 2 Discussion

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Trial Game Week 2 Discussion

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:45 pm

StrayDog wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:Good for clubs like South and Centrals to have wins in the trial games, gives their long suffering supporters some hope for the season ahead.

Norwoods board will send out an e-mail midweek stating they lost the trial for the good of the competition.

Topsy and the rest of the brainboxes down at the parade will believe it.

A bit unfair on Topsy, IMO.

Agreed, Topsy to his credit has been steadfast in his criticism of his board and pres and is one of those few people at various clubs who at least thinks for himself and doesn't believe bullshit that is fed to him.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby StrayDog » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Wedgie wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
UK Fan wrote:
topsywaldron wrote:Good for clubs like South and Centrals to have wins in the trial games, gives their long suffering supporters some hope for the season ahead.

Norwoods board will send out an e-mail midweek stating they lost the trial for the good of the competition.

Agreed, Topsy to his credit has been steadfast in his criticism of his boardand pres and is one of those few people at various clubs who at least thinks for himself and doesn't believe bullshit that is fed to him.

Correct, though I think there may be a fair few around the place.
StrayDog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1132 times
Been liked: 192 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:07 pm

StrayDog wrote:
Correct, though I think there may be a fair few around the place.

Agreed, I know my club is rife with them.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:23 pm

To be equally fair, Potsy was a flogger before the vote on AFL reserves.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:13 pm

smac wrote:To be equally fair, Potsy was a flogger before the vote on AFL reserves.

If you think that I reckon I'm doing pretty well .
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

Dion Hayman 24th July 2013
topsywaldron
Veteran

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 218 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:24 pm

StrayDog wrote:To say the least, a bit unfair on Topsy. Hardly the biggest fan of all that has transpired out there of late.

Joe's cut and run, voting yes then resigning, doesn't really need commenting on. His actions speak for themselves.

What sh*ts me to tears more than anything is that there'll be no washback for the gutless hacks that sit on the SANFL Boards and on the Commission. By the time their insane decision has reached the endpoint, the effective death of the SANFL, they'll all be gone.

I had one animated discussion with a noted Norwood advertising shill who sits on the Commission who simply couldn't have been more pleased with himself about what he and his cronies had forced through. That he couldn't answer the simple question about how he expected the SANFL clubs to attract members under the age of forty from now on says everything.
'People are not stupid. They know when they are being conned. And two reserves teams operating in a League competition will reduce it to a farce, a competition without a soul.'

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby RB » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:11 pm

topsywaldron wrote:
StrayDog wrote:To say the least, a bit unfair on Topsy. Hardly the biggest fan of all that has transpired out there of late.

Joe's cut and run, voting yes then resigning, doesn't really need commenting on. His actions speak for themselves.

What sh*ts me to tears more than anything is that there'll be no washback for the gutless hacks that sit on the SANFL Boards and on the Commission. By the time their insane decision has reached the endpoint, the effective death of the SANFL, they'll all be gone.

I had one animated discussion with a noted Norwood advertising shill who sits on the Commission who simply couldn't have been more pleased with himself about what he and his cronies had forced through. That he couldn't answer the simple question about how he expected the SANFL clubs to attract members under the age of forty from now on says everything.

The unaccountability of the hacks who voted yes also infuriates me. The smug self-satisfaction they will have when sitting back with the big wigs in the best seats in the house for the Showdown doesn't bear thinking about.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby topsywaldron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:36 pm

RB wrote:The unaccountability of the hacks who voted yes also infuriates me. The smug self-satisfaction they will have when sitting back with the big wigs in the best seats in the house for the Showdown doesn't bear thinking about.

Truly hideous.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby csbowes » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

The members of the clubs failed to make them accountable.

I'd be almost certain no one at Sturt grilled the board at the AGM, hardly anyone ever did, people just don't care.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 am

Wedgie wrote:
StrayDog wrote:
UK Fan wrote:

Agreed, Topsy to his credit has been steadfast in his criticism of his board and pres and is one of those few people at various clubs who at least thinks for himself and doesn't believe bullshit that is fed to him.

Topsy only stopped believing the bullshit after a Centrals fan helped him read the SANFL constitution tbf.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:30 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Where was the guy thats going to kick a million goals?

The scoresheet couldn't accommodate how many goals he kicked.

To be fair, 'Yoey' Wagner did kick 8 goals in the State game between Country SA and Country WA last year. Those who are giving him stick at the moment may in time have to eat their words.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:01 pm

csbowes wrote:

I'd be almost certain no one at Sturt grilled the board at the AGM, hardly anyone ever did, people just don't care.

Probably true in some cases, not in others. Fair to say though the general anger felt on these pages didn't permeate through the memberships of all the clubs to the point of boards having no choice but to vote no.

UK and Centurions campaign certainly made the Bulldog staff sit up and take notice (along with the police as Weslo :lol: ) but it seems more people shrugged their shoulders than those that picked up the phone or punched out an email stating their position.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby whufc » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:30 pm

Booney wrote:
csbowes wrote:

Probably true in some cases, not in others. Fair to say though the general anger felt on these pages didn't permeate through the memberships of all the clubs to the point of boards having no choice but to vote no.

UK and Centurions campaign certainly made the Bulldog staff sit up and take notice (along with the police as Weslo :lol: ) but it seems more people shrugged their shoulders than those that picked up the phone or punched out an email stating their position.

Agree, while the passion is still there and I know of many people who were very anti the no vote but remained silent due to being uneasy about a backlash (eg weslo Centurian incident) and the fact that football on the weekends nowadays is not the bee knees. We live in a society where there is now shitloads to do on weekends etc (nightclubs open wes-sun, shops and trades open 7 days a week, working weekends, lots of ammo and country sport to watch, cost of living etc etc)

It's easier to remain silent and walk away to something else than it is to fight what to some looked a lost cause

I have stuck to my guns and will only be taking a home membership out, will go to home games except the Crows home game, will head to Noarlunga and at absolute most Norwood Friday night away (cricket club is running a mini bus including parade pub crawl, will get smashed before going in and won't spend a cent in the ground) and West away (samudogs first game back from England in 3 years big welcome back party that day)
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby UK Fan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 pm

SANFL club membership 2013

Total : 27681

SANFL club membership 2014

Total : 20063

A decrease of 27.52% in membership in the first year is a damning statistic for me.

Admittedly people can still buy memberships up until June 30th.

But according to the stats produce on the SANFL website today West Adelaide is the only club that will increase its membership on last year. Outside of West every clubs membership is down over 20% on last year.

88% of SANFL clubs will experience a decrease in membership. Taking into account an increase in marketing revenue for SANFL clubs and that membership price are less than last year across the board(I wonder why they needed to be reduced this year). 100% of clubs look to face a decrease in revenue from membership this year and I wouldn't be surprised if sponsorship figures aren't to dissimilar.

Patronage of clubs looks to decrease by the same percentage is a scary proposition for all clubs. Grand Central(only figures I have) made $6 mill in revenue last year via its 2326 members . 20% loss of members/patrons means the club stands to lose $1.2 mill in revenue this year.

SCARY!!!

Centrals and South voted the way their members wanted. Norwood members weren't given a chance to argue its clubs vote due to its board misrepresenting how it intended to vote to its members. North Sturt and Glenelg boards in voting YES acknowledged they were going against their members wishes. Port Power were never going to listen too Port Magpies members wishes.

SANFL members have had little choice but to protest by walking away IMHO. And it looks as if they have.

You'll also note many SANFL fans pledged to buy South and Centrals memberships due to the clubs voting NO. Yet both clubs have experienced a drop in membership.

The future of our comp and its clubs have never looked so dire. Unless we see a massive increase in membership
Or the figures on the SANFL website are incorrect

Is anyone really surprised by this ???? I certainly am not .
Last edited by UK Fan on Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Postby topsywaldron » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:55 pm

Great post Golden Dynasty.

You or Centurion involved at all with this proposed protest at the SANFL Commissioners lunch at Adelaide Oval next week?

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby dedja » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:01 am

It's totally meaningless to compare this years membership numbers with previous years this early ... come back in a few months time with some solid facts.
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby prowling panther » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:13 am

agree, how do the numbers stack up against this time last season?
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby topsywaldron » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 am

dedja wrote:It's totally meaningless to compare this years membership numbers with previous years this early ... come back in a few months time with some solid facts.

West are reporting nearly 3000 members so I'm not sure anyone looking for'solid facts' is searching in the right place on the SANFL site.

topsywaldron
Veteran

Postby dedja » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 am

Yeah, OK, I meant it too early to make conclusions ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby UK Fan » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 am

dedja wrote:It's totally meaningless to compare this years membership numbers with previous years this early ... come back in a few months time with some solid facts.

Not according to the SANFL it isn't!!!

You expect bays to increase membership by 40% to match last years numbers in the coming months ???

Not taking into account memberships costs are down 10-20% down on last year.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL