Your 2014 predictions

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Your 2014 predictions

Postby Ted E Bear » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:58 pm

Why are Port so favoured over the Crows. Whats the difference?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 13 times

Postby sjt » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 am

Ted E Bear wrote:Why are Port so favoured over the Crows. Whats the difference?

They've retained sanfl players to top up the afl majority.
sjt
League - Best 21

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 59 times

Postby Ted E Bear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:40 am

So they have some SANFL standard players to join the AFL listed players who cant make the AFL and the Crows don't?

How many players are you talking? and who are they. The final signings for port in the advertiser the other day are country hacks I know that, they will get eaten alive in the SANFL
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:13 am

This is an example of why Port Magpies will be so strong. This is the team they were able to put on the park during trials:

Brendan Ah Chee
Mason Shaw
Cameron Hitchcock
Sam Gray
Ben Haren
Jake Johansen
Karl Amon
Brent Renouf
Ben Newton
Aaron Young
Steven Summerton
Kane Mitchell
Anthony Biemans
Aseri Raikiwasa
Sam Colquhoun
Cameron O’Shea
Alipate Carlile
Tom Logan
Louis Sharrad
Henry Slattery
Darcy Byrne-Jones
Jake Neade
Mitch Harvey

I don't think that any SANFL side would be able to come close against a team like that. They benefit from having a squad of full-time professional footballers, with some being very experienced AFL footballers. They also benefit from having half their non-AFL players being experienced SANFL footballers. The Crows, on the other hand, only have 'top up' or players with no league experience to complement their AFL listed players. This makes them much weaker than Port Adelaide. The other SANFL sides are also weaker, particularly with the loss of all of their AFL listed players this season.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 am

kickinit wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:Your final comment does worry me. Are Port supporters only Port supporters when there is success?? I was hoping that there would have been more loyalty from the club that always touted itself as being above all others when it came to support. Is your friend also saying that it feels like the 'real' PAFC because there is almost certain success this year and that, without the success, it did not feel like Port?
As for wanting the Magpies dead, I would want the complete opposite. I would rather a thriving Magpies side but one without it being the Power Reserves, instead a club on the same level as all other SANFL clubs. I have a feeling that that is what many true Magpie supporters would also prefer, judging by what I am hearing.
Cheers

The success doesn't play a factor at all. Over the past years there have been people involved in the club that have been there more for themselves then the club. The off field running of the club has been shocking. The recognition of past players was shocking, the recognition of volunteers was shocking. The real PAFC has a hell of a lot of pride and passion something we had lost. PAFC has changed, we are back to having people at the club with pride and passion about the club. Players getting to talk to past players and find out what the real PAFC is about. The dad's army being recognised for the work they done. The group of players (that did it off their own back) that take groups of volunteers out for a meal each week to say thanks. The higher ups out getting their hands dirty. The success we are now seeing is only coming from those things happening off field.

Yeh there was times where I felt like tearing up my membership because of the decision the club was making. But a true PAFC supporter sticks through it. Some people might say that they are only a magpies supporter or a power supporter. At the end of the day the magpies and the power are the PAFC. If PAFC never entered the AFL more then likely I wouldn't support a AFL team, which is purely because the club I support is the PAFC.

Points well made. It is a shame that the club was run so poorly over the past few years. What caused this?? Surely this should never have been allowed to occur at such a traditional mighty club.
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:38 am

kickinit wrote:
bulldogproud2 wrote:Your final comment does worry me. Are Port supporters only Port supporters when there is success?? I was hoping that there would have been more loyalty from the club that always touted itself as being above all others when it came to support. Is your friend also saying that it feels like the 'real' PAFC because there is almost certain success this year and that, without the success, it did not feel like Port?
As for wanting the Magpies dead, I would want the complete opposite. I would rather a thriving Magpies side but one without it being the Power Reserves, instead a club on the same level as all other SANFL clubs. I have a feeling that that is what many true Magpie supporters would also prefer, judging by what I am hearing.
Cheers

The success doesn't play a factor at all. Over the past years there have been people involved in the club that have been there more for themselves then the club. The off field running of the club has been shocking. The recognition of past players was shocking, the recognition of volunteers was shocking. The real PAFC has a hell of a lot of pride and passion something we had lost. PAFC has changed, we are back to having people at the club with pride and passion about the club. Players getting to talk to past players and find out what the real PAFC is about. The dad's army being recognised for the work they done. The group of players (that did it off their own back) that take groups of volunteers out for a meal each week to say thanks. The higher ups out getting their hands dirty. The success we are now seeing is only coming from those things happening off field.

Yeh there was times where I felt like tearing up my membership because of the decision the club was making. But a true PAFC supporter sticks through it. Some people might say that they are only a magpies supporter or a power supporter. At the end of the day the magpies and the power are the PAFC. If PAFC never entered the AFL more then likely I wouldn't support a AFL team, which is purely because the club I support is the PAFC.

Having all Port contracted players playing for Port is something I totally agree on just not in the SANFL.
Ive had an issue since day dot about AFL players playing in the SANFL, once they were drafted to the AFL that should of been the end of them in the SANFL, for too long we have games decided by which clubs have had the most AFL players available each week. It was up to the 2 clubs to find somewhere to dump these players ie the VFL or elsewhere.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Ted E Bear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:39 am

But when injuries come port will be affected depth wise wont they?

Can you place bets on the SANFL games or premiership. If so who should I place it on?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:48 am

Ted E Bear wrote:But when injuries come port will be affected depth wise wont they?

Can you place bets on the SANFL games or premiership. If so who should I place it on?

All teams will be affected by injuries. Port have an amazing squad though, it would take a lot of injuries before they come back to the pack.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Ted E Bear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:56 am

I am thinking of backing Port for the premiership but I am worried come finals they will put them all in cotton wool.
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

Postby Tech1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:Why are Port so favoured over the Crows. Whats the difference?

The problem is that the other SANFL clubs assumed port wouldn't do something like the Summerton disgrace and keep a bunch of others for "$400" a game. Don't know how you can change it next year either if like most likely port will be too strong, it's too late.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:I am thinking of backing Port for the premiership but I am worried come finals they will put them all in cotton wool.

Time will tell,but, Port Adelaide will be out to do whatever they can to win the SANFL premiership IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7512 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:53 pm

port should be favs for the flag
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11896 times
Been liked: 3618 times

Postby robranisgod » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:02 pm

The attached is the link to the market for the SANFL premiership :

http://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/aus ... ules/sanfl

I think that Port and West are over the odds and perhaps Norwood despite winning the last two flags are a little under the odds given that they have lost so many players. There have been so many changes to sides that it is anyone's guess at the moment.
robranisgod
League - Best 21

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 231 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders University

Postby SimonH » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:13 pm

Ted E Bear wrote:I am thinking of backing Port for the premiership but I am worried come finals they will put them all in cotton wool.
There's now plenty of recent history to look at, to know what's likely to unfold: Brisbane and Gold Coast reserves in what's now the NEAFL, Sydney and GWS reserves in what was the Canberra comp and is now also the NEAFL, and Collingwood and Geelong were the first of a now fast-growing contingent of AFL reserves sides in the VFL. Of course 2 'traditional' WAFL clubs have gone down the AFL reserves path in 2014 too.

Their best is generally better than the best of the amateur or semi-pro sides that they play against. But they're very inconsistent, depending mostly on injuries in the AFL squad, and also on the quality of their top-ups. Certainly, they win some flags: Brisbane have won a couple of recent ones in the relatively weaker NEAFL, Swans have won a few a while back, and Geelong have won at least one in the relatively strong VFL. But come finals time they generally underperform compared with their talent and their minor round performance. The reasons have been well documented elsewhere, but the phrase 'cotton wool' sums it up nicely.

GWS' non-performance in their 1SF in the NEAFL 'Eastern Conference' in 2011 against Eastlake deserves to be particularly notorious: a 68 point loss, where their score was doubled, by Eastlake. Eastlake was a team that they'd beaten twice in the minor round (by 62 and 20 points, including just the previous week)—and GWS were also coming into the game as the form side of the comp, on a long winning streak in which they'd beaten competition powerhouses Brisbane reserves, Swans reserves and NT Thunder. This is when GWS' best team was playing in the NEAFL Eastern Conference, as a warm-up to their first year in the AFL in 2012—and so the whole darn squad, from Jeremy Cameron down, got to start their mandatory annual leave, and then get back into pre-season training for the 2012 AFL season, as soon as they bombed out of the NEAFL finals.

That's just the most obvious example. There are plenty of others. The Swans, for example, have won way fewer Canberra comp/NEAFL titles than they should have, given the 100+ point thumpings that they regularly hand to Canberra (and now Sydney) amateur/semi-pro sides during the minor round. Whether it's "tanking" is really an arid definitional debate—I'm not suggesting that any individual player is told not to try, or doesn't try. It's just that by September the AFL club's priorities are elsewhere (usually on next year's AFL season, or if the firsts are doing well, on having that team cherry-ripe for finals), and that's reflected in selections, timing of surgery, positional placement, rotations during the game, and just the absence of the general 'win at all costs' ethos at the club, that you need to win finals and in particular GFs.

So, even though $7.50 is great odds compared with the talent of their squad, save your hard-earned on Port Adelaide's reserves winning the SANFL flag. They'll belt a few during the year, but they'll struggle to win a final. As for Adelaide at $9? Forget it. Even though I don't think West will win, if you're a gambler Westies at $21 are the value pick of the bunch, and on what we've seen so far, Centrals at $8 is 'living in the past' optimistic.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby bulldogproud2 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:24 pm

SimonH wrote:
There's now plenty of recent history to look at, to know what's likely to unfold: Brisbane and Gold Coast reserves in what's now the NEAFL, Sydney and GWS reserves in what was the Canberra comp and is now also the NEAFL, and Collingwood and Geelong were the first of a now fast-growing contingent of AFL reserves sides in the VFL. Of course 2 'traditional' WAFL clubs have gone down the AFL reserves path in 2014 too.

Their best is generally better than the best of the amateur or semi-pro sides that they play against. But they're very inconsistent, depending mostly on injuries in the AFL squad, and also on the quality of their top-ups. Certainly, they win some flags: Brisbane have won a couple of recent ones in the relatively weaker NEAFL, Swans have won a few a while back, and Geelong have won at least one in the relatively strong VFL. But come finals time they generally underperform compared with their talent and their minor round performance. The reasons have been well documented elsewhere, but the phrase 'cotton wool' sums it up nicely.

GWS' non-performance in their 1SF in the NEAFL 'Eastern Conference' in 2011 against Eastlake deserves to be particularly notorious: a 68 point loss, where their score was doubled, by Eastlake. Eastlake was a team that they'd beaten twice in the minor round (by 62 and 20 points, including just the previous week)—and GWS were also coming into the game as the form side of the comp, on a long winning streak in which they'd beaten competition powerhouses Brisbane reserves, Swans reserves and NT Thunder. This is when GWS' best team was playing in the NEAFL Eastern Conference, as a warm-up to their first year in the AFL in 2012—and so the whole darn squad, from Jeremy Cameron down, got to start their mandatory annual leave, and then get back into pre-season training for the 2012 AFL season, as soon as they bombed out of the NEAFL finals.

That's just the most obvious example. There are plenty of others. The Swans, for example, have won way fewer Canberra comp/NEAFL titles than they should have, given the 100+ point thumpings that they regularly hand to Canberra (and now Sydney) amateur/semi-pro sides during the minor round. Whether it's "tanking" is really an arid definitional debate—I'm not suggesting that any individual player is told not to try, or doesn't try. It's just that by September the AFL club's priorities are elsewhere (usually on next year's AFL season, or if the firsts are doing well, on having that team cherry-ripe for finals), and that's reflected in selections, timing of surgery, positional placement, rotations during the game, and just the absence of the general 'win at all costs' ethos at the club, that you need to win finals and in particular GFs.

So, even though $7.50 is great odds compared with the talent of their squad, save your hard-earned on Port Adelaide's reserves winning the SANFL flag. They'll belt a few during the year, but they'll struggle to win a final. As for Adelaide at $9? Forget it. Even though I don't think West will win, if you're a gambler Westies at $21 are the value pick of the bunch, and on what we've seen so far, Centrals at $8 is 'living in the past' optimistic.

A great summation but you may have overlooked one point. Port Adelaide have kept a number of their SANFL players from last year. This places them at a distinct advantage over any of the other 'AFL' sides in any other competition. All the others have just had top-up players to add to their AFL list. Port really have the best of both worlds. Realistically they should definitely start as favourites, and by a long way. It will just be whether the Power stop certain players playing in finals that would reduce their chances.
Cheers
bulldogproud2
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:57 pm

SimonH wrote:

So when Brisbane were strong(er) at AFL level, they won NEAFL premierships with their AFL listed players, not playing AFL. Relevant.

Sydney have also won premierships a level below the AFL with their AFL listed players, not playing AFL.Relevant.

Geelong have won VFL premierships while also winning or just missing out on AFL premierships. Extremely relevant and as Geelong VFL and Geelong AFL are one club, the most relevant.

GWS pulled the pin on season 2011 getting ready for it's first AFL season in 2012. Not relevant at all, completely different to Port and Adelaide and completely understandable given the profile of their young squad.

Western Australia are a work in progress at this point.

So in essence, the best reference point is Brisbane and Geelong when looking at what people think Port at SANFL level could potentially do in 2014. Let's just hope we can now all get some sleep at night.

Thanks Simon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7512 times
Been liked: 10808 times

Postby Panther Pack » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:06 pm

I have been saying since this whole AFL reserves issue popped up that the AFL reserves teams will be too strong.

Here's the thing people can't get angry at either the Crows or Port all they did was ask can we play with you guys.

Unfortunately 6 clubs said yes if South had said yes I would have walked away from the club and I told them that. My reasoning to South is we have struggled to compete with other semi professional clubs and to be honest have been well behind how can we now compete with full time AFL juggernaut clubs, still don't know how we will compete to be honest but I'll be there supporting my club cause they listened to their supporters.

This whole issue is farcical if Norwood get belted by Port on Thursday night how will Norwood supporters feel, what can be done about it?
Panther Pack
Reserves

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 143 times

Postby Tech1 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:25 pm

There are a couple of things that could be done, that should've been done.

Both Port and the Crows have the same restrictions, 15 top up players each, no top up players to have played state league football for the last 3 years, top up players have to be under the age of 23.

Other things that could be done if this didn't make it more even is remove the exception of a leadership player and increase the salary cap of each SANFL club - hard to do when clubs are financially struggling but you could increase the dollars we get from the new afl reserves clubs to directly go to each clubs salary cap.

The first suggestions would do it though imho.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby JK » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:41 pm

Panther Pack wrote:This whole issue is farcical if Norwood get belted by Port on Thursday night how will Norwood supporters feel, what can be done about it?

Can't speak for my comprades, but if we get rolled we dust ourselves off and hope we can respond the following week, same as any other time we lose.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Ted E Bear » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm

It will be close. I wouldn't stress after round 1.

So Simon are you telling me to put money on Port or not?

Simon says?
Ted E Bear
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL