SAAFL division 6 2014

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Who will win the division 6 grand final?

Angle Vale
3%
Blackfriars OS
7%
Central United
2%
Fitzroy
13%
Ingle Farm
10%
Lockleys
4%
Mawson Lakes
13%
Mitchell Park
6%
Rosewater
33%
West Croydon
8%

Total votes : 98

Re: SAAFL division 6 2014

Postby morell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

Then why are you posting? Just to be a caring understanding nineties type?
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:09 pm

morell wrote:
watchdog wrote:Morell any news on the coach? Staying? Going? I hear that a couple of your better players possibly could also be on the move as well.
Harro is moving on, not sure where just yet but Christies Beach a short priced favourite.

Yeah a couple of our better players have indicated that they are moving on but it's early days still.

We have plenty of work to do.

What players are leaving, where they off to?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby beeroclock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:30 pm

morell wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:For the past 5-6 years it has been quite open that you need to have a playing budget of minimum $120k to be a finals contender.

Don't underestimate Lofty because they finished bottom, they had wins against Bridgewater and Onkaparinga Valley and were reasonably competitive in the remaining games. They are still a reasonable side.
Jesus H Christ.

Mt Lofty would have a budget of say ... $70k?

Starting to make sense now marbles and beeroclock?

What's the budget cover Morell?
Just player payments or the whole football department.
If it's the football department then that 70k would be around the mark for a footy season at most clubs these days.
Nothing put of the ordinary.
Make sense Morell?
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Armytank » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:39 pm

That is just player payments mate
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby morell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:
watchdog wrote:Morell any news on the coach? Staying? Going? I hear that a couple of your better players possibly could also be on the move as well.
Harro is moving on, not sure where just yet but Christies Beach a short priced favourite.

Yeah a couple of our better players have indicated that they are moving on but it's early days still.

Not sure at this stage mate. Pretty early days and things are always prone to change. A couple are looking to head back to Happy Valley. Couple to Plympton. Couple to Kenilworth. Couple to Flagstaff Hill.

This is why we struggle. The competitiveness for good young players in the area we are is very high. Some will be on some significant coin as well. We just can't match offers to a guy who is 20 and has the chance to earn as much in a game of footy as they do during the week working.

It was always a chance to happen. We had such an influx that if a couple went they would all go.

Ah well, onwards and upwards, as I said, this year we will learn, once again, who the true Mitchell Park people really are.
morell
Coach

Postby bar20 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:01 pm

Morrell does have a ridiculous idea that every player should never be paid. Clubs like Mitchell Park and Morrell will have to gett over this ridiculous notion if they want Io exist and prosper into the future. You can't just blame local clubs like CLG and Kenilworth and Southern clubs for rewarding players efforts with financial reward. A part of football life that 95% of players are rewarded financially now. To suggest that football or SAAFL football should be non paying is both ridiculous and nieve. Time for Mitchell Park to either dig ino their pockets or just accept that players will walk away for financial reasons. The days of playing for zero reward have been over for 20 years and is nothing new. It has nothing to do with who is a tue Mitchell Park player but a football reality
bar20
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby beeroclock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Armytank wrote:That is just player payments mate

Hell and they finished bottom.
Money well spent if true.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby beeroclock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:05 pm

bar20 wrote:Morrell does have a ridiculous idea that every player should never be paid. Clubs like Mitchell Park and Morrell will have to gett over this ridiculous notion if they want Io exist and prosper into the future. You can't just blame local clubs like CLG and Kenilworth and Southern clubs for rewarding players efforts with financial reward. A part of football life that 95% of players are rewarded financially now. To suggest that football or SAAFL football should be non paying is both ridiculous and nieve. Time for Mitchell Park to either dig ino their pockets or just accept that players will walk away for financial reasons. The days of playing for zero reward have been over for 20 years and is nothing new. It has nothing to do with who is a tue Mitchell Park player but a football reality

Here here.
Can't play footy forever so may as well use what assets you have to make an extra quid.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby Jetters » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:07 pm

morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

Not sure at this stage mate. Pretty early days and things are always prone to change. A couple are looking to head back to Happy Valley. Couple to Plympton. Couple to Kenilworth. Couple to Flagstaff Hill.

This is why we struggle. The competitiveness for good young players in the area we are is very high. Some will be on some significant coin as well. We just can't match offers to a guy who is 20 and has the chance to earn as much in a game of footy as they do during the week working.

It was always a chance to happen. We had such an influx that if a couple went they would all go.

Ah well, onwards and upwards, as I said, this year we will learn, once again, who the true Mitchell Park people really are.

You make a lot of excuses.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby Armytank » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:18 pm

beeroclock wrote:

Unfortunately a sad fact in "country" football.

I have heard from a very reliable source that Torrens Valley's Budget 5 years ago when the won the Country Div Premiership (Hills Div 2) was $200k but that was just rediculous.

Uraidla, who have been premiers 4 years in a row now is basically a North Adelaide reserves/fringe league side from 2006. There are some quality footballers earning some quality coin in the Hills
Armytank
Under 18s

Postby beeroclock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:39 pm

Armytank wrote:
beeroclock wrote:

Unfortunately a sad fact in "country" football.

I have heard from a very reliable source that Torrens Valley's Budget 5 years ago when the won the Country Div Premiership (Hills Div 2) was $200k but that was just rediculous.

Uraidla, who have been premiers 4 years in a row now is basically a North Adelaide reserves/fringe league side from 2006. There are some quality footballers earning some quality coin in the Hills

Was that back in the days when a few of the Pooraka boys went up? Torrens Valley.
Carter and co.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby Armytank » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:51 pm

yep....
Armytank
Under 18s

Postby morell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:01 pm

bar20 wrote:Morrell does have a ridiculous idea that every player should never be paid. Clubs like Mitchell Park and Morrell will have to gett over this ridiculous notion if they want Io exist and prosper into the future. You can't just blame local clubs like CLG and Kenilworth and Southern clubs for rewarding players efforts with financial reward. A part of football life that 95% of players are rewarded financially now. To suggest that football or SAAFL football should be non paying is both ridiculous and nieve. Time for Mitchell Park to either dig ino their pockets or just accept that players will walk away for financial reasons. The days of playing for zero reward have been over for 20 years and is nothing new. It has nothing to do with who is a tue Mitchell Park player but a football reality
I've been over this countless times and to be honest the discussion now bores me and probably many others. Suffice to say I would much rather struggle and get smashed but play with great life long friends, than play with a bunch of guys who are after a pay packet and/or aren't interested in contributing to the club outside of kicks, marks and handballs.

That is a personal preference and a cultural point of difference at Mitchell Park. Some people love it, and stay for the rest of their careers. Others don't dig it as much.

We are essentially a social football club, some people at the club would hate me saying that, but that's the reality. Of course we strive for success and we want to win, but ultimately, on field success is only one measurement of how well we're going. Gameday lasts for a couple of hours, the amount time I spend at the club is much, much more than that. Sport is the vehicle, but the real reason why I play, and I would suggest the great majority of other people at Mitchell Park play, is for the social component. Paying players would erode the social component.

Its a different outlook, and one that is sadly disappearing from modern football. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you all want to turn your clubs into mini corporations and slut yourselves to the next group of mercenaries, so be it, good luck with that, have fun in the lofty heights of what, Div 4? Div 3? Whoppdeedoo! We will still be down here, having a laugh, and kicking goals, albeit likely less than our opponents in 2014.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:12 pm

Jetters wrote:You make a lot of excuses.
You troll a lot of threads.

Players leaving this year is a direct reflection of our leadership and culture. No doubt. We could have done it better. We need to improve in lots of areas, but to pretend its all in our control and that all we have to do is just put in a bit more elbow grease is "nieve" (sic) to the greatest extent.

Not paying players puts us behind every other club in D6 straight away. Being next to the aforementioned high paying leagues puts us further behind. The demographic shift towards the northern and southern suburbs in Adelaide greatly limits our local playing age stock - again, putting us further behind. The density of other clubs in our area - further behind. A poor public reputation - behind even more. No old scholars. No U/18s.

But, its not all gloomy. We have a solid core which will see us through thick and thin, our reputation is now much better and improving, Our juniors are the best they have been for 15 years. We are looking at getting a major development for the premises over the line next year.

Plenty to look forward to, but I reckon the recruitment phone for season 2014 is going to be getting pretty hot.
morell
Coach

Postby beeroclock » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Armytank wrote:yep....

Carts would have had both hands clasped together.
beeroclock
League - Best 21

Postby Yank Man » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:56 pm

morell wrote:
I've been over this countless times and to be honest the discussion now bores me and probably many others. Suffice to say I would much rather struggle and get smashed but play with great life long friends, than play with a bunch of guys who are after a pay packet and/or aren't interested in contributing to the club outside of kicks, marks and handballs.

That is a personal preference and a cultural point of difference at Mitchell Park. Some people love it, and stay for the rest of their careers. Others don't dig it as much.

We are essentially a social football club, some people at the club would hate me saying that, but that's the reality. Of course we strive for success and we want to win, but ultimately, on field success is only one measurement of how well we're going. Gameday lasts for a couple of hours, the amount time I spend at the club is much, much more than that. Sport is the vehicle, but the real reason why I play, and I would suggest the great majority of other people at Mitchell Park play, is for the social component. Paying players would erode the social component.

Its a different outlook, and one that is sadly disappearing from modern football. But I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you all want to turn your clubs into mini corporations and slut yourselves to the next group of mercenaries, so be it, good luck with that, have fun in the lofty heights of what, Div 4? Div 3? Whoppdeedoo! We will still be down here, having a laugh, and kicking goals, albeit likely less than our opponents in 2014.

morell, you do not need to defend yourself and your great club re paying players. Yes, most clubs do it and the progressive one's who want to go up divisions all have footy spending budgets to get them there. The wonderful thing about MP is the mateship of people who play for the love of the club. If that leaves the club up and down from Div 6 to 7 and players coming and going then so be it. It is what it is at the den but unless attitudes change at the top then the club will struggle to stay alive. Yes zedman, I hope to come back this year and be an influence in some way. :)
Yank Man
League - Top 5

Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 317 times
Grassroots Team: Edwardstown

Postby marbles » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:39 pm

reserves coach for yankman I hear

at least their new guernsey wont scare players away

do your boys at least get drink cards?

wheres all ya bar money going? to a local church or something
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby morell » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:06 pm

I think Yank Man will be a bit more senior than that.

True, but I still prefer the old one.

Yes, the best players get a small reward if they are in attendance on the Saturday evening. Small amount of money, drink cards, meat vouchers, meal vouchers etc.

Bar takings go to the sports club, of which the football club is a subsidiary. The football clubs portion of that money goes to the SAAFL calls, strapping, balls, other training gear, coaches pay, trainers pay, utility bills etc.

We also do fund raising, canteen money, sponsorship etc for more football related expenses. Some benefactors and sponsors pay for a few player subs.

I think all up out total football revenue is about $50k/annum. Of which $0 goes to the players in the form of match day payments. Our total expenditure is about $49.9k. We usually try and get a small surplus at the end of the year to remain viable.
morell
Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:39 pm

beeroclock wrote:

They play in a semi-professional competition
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby zedman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:35 am

Yank Man wrote:
morell wrote:

morell, you do not need to defend yourself and your great club re paying players. Yes, most clubs do it and the progressive one's who want to go up divisions all have footy spending budgets to get them there. The wonderful thing about MP is the mateship of people who play for the love of the club. If that leaves the club up and down from Div 6 to 7 and players coming and going then so be it. It is what it is at the den but unless attitudes change at the top then the club will struggle to stay alive. Yes zedman, I hope to come back this year and be an influence in some way. :)

best of luck to you yankman..the club will need every bit of experience and guile you can offer if the numbers and names leaving that i am hearing are correct..
zedman
Coach

Has liked: 1080 times
Been liked: 387 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League