Things I learn from press releases

Anything!

Things I learn from press releases

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

I get loads of press releases each week.
Most of them are rubbish or from politicians, same/same, and are of little use to my work.
However, there's occasionally a press release worth sharing,so I figured I'd share anything of interest in this catch-all thread.
Anyone else who gets this screeds of joy are also welcome to post here.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Re: Things I learn from press releases

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Hold on to your cards - Woolies prints more Aussie Animals albums

Tuesday, 15 October 2013: Parents around the country will be breathing a sigh of relief after Woolworths announced today that the hugely popular Aussie Animals Activity and Collector’s Albums will be re-stocked in Woolworths stores from early December. Customers can also look forward to some extra special collectables this Christmas.

Sales of the Aussie Animals Activity and Collector’s Albums exceeded expectations, so a limited reprint has been ordered due to thousands of customer requests after the albums sold out across the country last week.

Jess Gill, General Manager of Marketing for Woolworths supermarkets, said “We’ve been overwhelmed by the popularity of the Aussie Animals Activity and Collector’s Albums. We’ve received so many requests from customers who missed out that we have decided to reprint them.

“We want to encourage all the Aussie Animals collectors out there to hold on to their cards. The new albums will be available in stores across the country from early December.

“Over the past four weeks we’ve given away tens of millions of free Aussie Animals trading cards, providing school kids with fun facts and information on creatures great and small, and parents with an affordable way to keep the kids entertained over the school holidays.

“This is the first time we’ve run a collectables program and we are overwhelmed by its success. Our customers have responded so positively to the program and it’s been great to see so many kids learning about our precious Australian wildlife in a fun and engaging way.

“Our customers should also keep their eyes peeled for another wild event this Christmas at Woolies with some extra special collectables on their way,” said Ms Gill.

Woolworths worked alongside Taronga Zoo to launch the Aussie Animals program. The program was designed to engage the natural curiosity of children and get them and their families interested and talking about Australia’s unique wildlife.

For every $20 spent in store, customers received a free pack of four cards which featured fun facts and information on animals including critically endangered leatherback turtles, saltwater crocs and koalas.

The program followed Woolworths’ three year partnership with Taronga Conservation Society Australia in which it will invest more than $1.9million into the zoo’s marine education conservation programs.

The additional Aussie Animals Activity and Collector’s Albums will be available at Woolworths for $5 each or two for $8 from early December. The album is packed full of games, hours of activities and fun animal facts.

Today marks the official end of the popular Aussie Animals collectable trading card program. All cards have been printed equally, so if collectors are still looking for a crocodile or an elusive Wombat they can head to the Aussie Animals Swap Zone on the Woolworths Facebook page, where parents can swap privately amongst their friend networks.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm

21st Century Fox and the Bundesliga Announce Groundbreaking Global Media Rights Partnership

21st Century Fox and the Deutsche Fussball Liga (DFL) today announced a series of multi-year agreements to deliver Bundesliga football to hundreds of millions of fans across North and South America, Europe and Asia via 21st Century Fox’s global portfolio of television assets.

The agreements call for a five-year term in Asia and the Americas, and a two-year term in Europe. Financial details were not disclosed.

The agreements will leverage 21st Century Fox’s global distribution footprint in territories such as the United States, Brazil, Canada, China (in English), Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands and many more.

In total, the agreements cover 80 countries or territories on four continents and will span three units of 21st Century Fox: Fox International Channels, Fox Sports and Sky Italia. Under the terms of the agreements, 21st Century Fox will be granted exclusive rights, subject to certain reserved rights, to the Bundesliga in the Americas and Asia – excluding India and the Oceania region – as well as Italy, the Netherlands and Belgium.

The deal, which will take effect with the 2015-‘16 season, includes rights to all 306 Bundesliga matches each year, as well as the DFL-Supercup and the Bundesliga Relegation Playoffs. In addition, 21st Century Fox will attain digital distribution rights, including the ability to make DFL content available through new and existing authenticated online television services, as well as on mobile devices in the contracted territories.

“Both on and off the pitch, the Bundesliga has grown to become one of the preeminent soccer leagues in the world,” said James Murdoch, Deputy COO of 21st Century Fox. “We look forward to partnering with the DFL over the next five years to leverage our unrivaled global portfolio of sports channels to bolster the Bundesliga brand in every corner of the globe.”

Christian Seifert, CEO of DFL Deutsche Fussball Liga, stated today: “These agreements confirm that the Bundesliga has legitimately evolved to become a top international sports media property. 21st Century Fox is a global-scale partner that provides German soccer opportunities for worldwide exposure and future growth. We welcome these agreements as an expression of faith in the Bundesliga’s continued development over the coming years.”

The new agreements will also see 21st Century Fox benefit from Sky Deutschland’s status as an Official Partner and domestic broadcaster of the Bundesliga in Germany. Sky Deutschland’s production resources will guarantee fans the full breadth and depth of Bundesliga coverage and editorial expertise, presented in a style suited to each region’s local preferences.

About DFL Deutsche Fussball Liga

The organisation and marketing of professional football in Germany are the core functions of the DFL Deutsche Fussball Liga. Founded in May 2001 the DFL has a wide and multi-facetted brief, with the organisation of the league schedule ensuring smooth-running, well-balanced and above all exciting competition in Germany's professional leagues. The licensing of the 36 professional clubs in the Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 is a core element of the DFL brief and the further enhancement of the Bundesliga brand is a central pillar of DFL strategy. The continuous development and marketing of "in-house" products is part of that strategy and the DFL has accordingly long since established itself as a content provider. Strategic brand management in both a national and international context as the basis for the further growth of marketing revenues is another constituent part of the DFL's day-to-day operations.

About 21st Century Fox

21st Century Fox (NASDAQ: FOX, FOXA; ASX: FOX, FOX LV) is the world's premier portfolio of cable, broadcast, film, pay TV and satellite assets spanning six continents across the globe. Reaching nearly 1.5 billion subscribers in 100 local languages every day, 21st Century Fox is home to a global portfolio of cable and broadcasting networks and properties, including FOX, FX, FXX, FS1, Fox News Channel, Fox Business Network, Fox Sports, Fox Sports Network, National Geographic Channels, MundoFox and STAR; film studio Twentieth Century Fox Film; and television production studios Twentieth Century Fox Television and Shine Group. The Company also provides premium content to millions of subscribers through its pay-television services in Europe and Asia, including Sky Deutschland, Sky Italia and its equity interests in BSkyB and Tata Sky.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:51 pm

dedja wrote:MEDIA RELEASE

Jarman set to make his mark at Glenelg

Former North Adelaide and Perth Coach, Andrew Jarman, has been appointed to the position as Senior Coach of the Glenelg Football Club for the next three years.

Andrew was appointed by the Glenelg Football Club Board of Directors, following the strong
recommendation by the highly credentialed Selection Committee, established to ensure the best possible coach was appointed to steer the club forward.

The selection committee undertook a comprehensive selection process in which Football Director Justin Scripps, Graham Cornes, Peter Carey and President Nick Chigwidden, were unanimous that Jarman was the man to coach the Club in 2014 and beyond, with a focus of recognizing and developing our young list and maximizing their potential.

With proven success at the helm with North Adelaide during the mid 2000s Jarman's football achievements extend past
his coaching feats. Jarman is a duel Magarey Medallist and All-Australian, Inducted into the SANFL Hall of Fame in 2007, an inaugural member of the Adelaide Crows and played in 15 State of Origin Games for South Australia.

Jarman's playing career includes 110 games with Adelaide, 136 games with North Adelaide and 38 games with Norwood.

Jarman's wealth of football experience at both AFL and SANFL levels, combined with his general knowledge of the game gives
the Glenelg Football Club great excitement and positiveness for the immediate and future direction.

:lol: :lol:
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Ummmmm...they're retreating to the toilet for private time...surely....

Lack of Personal Space Sparks the Rise of Manvironments[1] in Homes Around Australia

· One in five Australian men have nowhere to unwind at home, forcing six per cent of men to retreat to the bathroom

· eBay investigates shopping behaviours of men to confirm that the palatial man cave is dead and instead Manviroments reign strong

· Just 20 mins of relaxing in a dedicated Manvironment reduces health risks associated with prolonged periods of stress

ebay.com.au has discovered a growing trend in the way that Australian men relax in the home. Consumer research coupled with online buying habits point to the rise of smaller, more organised Manvironments around the home, moving away from the once larger, palatial man cave.

The Australian Manvironment Study[2], which was commissioned by ebay.com.au to shed light on Australian men’s relaxation habits, revealed one in five men[3] have nowhere to unwind at home. Teaming up with a leading Anthropologist, Greg Downey, helped to further understand the health benefits of Manvironments after online buying trends pointed to the rise of smaller Manvironments around the home.

The study forms part of eBay’s ongoing focus to provide retail partners with relevant consumer insights, which links product inventory to buying behaviours. Megan English, trend watcher, ebay.com.au, says that it is time to shift the perceptions of palatial man caves towards smaller, more attainable Manvironments.

“With millions of products and millions of Aussie males visiting ebay.com.au each month we are in a unique position to evaluate dozens of interesting trends and buying behaviours. Our Manvironment research study supports our casual observations that whilst around two million Aussie men would like to have a room in their house dedicated to sports, music, movies or memorabilia, this is not always achievable,” said English.

“We found two thirds of men don’t get enough downtime and a staggering 92 per cent say they know how important it is to have their own personal space, whilstonly 48 per cent have a dedicated space set aside for them. And more surprisingly only 21 percent of Australian men* have a hi-tech man cave whilst six percent are retreating to the smallest room in the house, the bathroom!”

ebay.com.au reached out to Greg Downey (PhD), for further insight into why men carve out their own space to unwind and how important it is for their health. Downey says the need for Manvironments in the home is more pressing than ever before because men are facing a rapid decline in space due to the overlapping domestic spaces of modern living.

“Around one third of us work jobs that are cognitively demanding, meaning we carry the stresses of work with us and find it hard to switch off,” said Downey.

“This stress triggers the cortisol levels in men’s brains to rise, which can lead to negative health affects over prolonged periods of time,” he said.

Associate Professor Greg Downey says one of the most effective ways to de-stress is to take part in activities that focus your attention enough to block out the causes of your stress.

“Whether they relax by working on cars, cooking, playing music or video games, guys should organise a Manvironment, so it’s ready for them to jump in whenever they want to unwind,” said Downey.

ebay.com.au will spend the next month further investigating the buying behaviours of men and their Manvironments to gain a greater understanding of this trend towards smaller dedicated spaces.

As part of this promotion ebay.com.au is holding a Facebook competition, which invites Australian men to share a photo of their Manvironment for the chance to win $2,500 to upgrade their space.

“We’re hoping to piece together a snapshot of Australian Manvironments through our Facebook App. Whether it’s a corner in the lounge room, a workbench in the shed, the roof in the garage where they hang their fishing rods, or a full gaming station in the study, we encourage all men to share their Manvironments with us,” said Miss English.

www.facebook.com.au/ebay.com.au
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 pm

For horseracing fans - from Barnaby Joyce

Foreign raiders enter the biosecurity barrier
With this year’s Victorian Spring Racing Carnival underway, international horses competing in our world-renowned races have arrived in Melbourne to complete mandatory quarantine.
Minister for Agriculture, Barnaby Joyce, said the horses must enter the country with enough time to check that they are not bringing in any dangerous pests or diseases that could be a biosecurity risk.
“This year 23 horses have arrived from the UK and one horse from Hong Kong. Our job is to ensure they are free of any potential risks that could impact on our domestic horse population, as well as other horses competing in the carnival,” Minister Joyce said.
“Each horse was inspected and cleared by our biosecurity veterinary officers before being transported to the Werribee International Horse Centre, where the horses remain in quarantine for at least 14 days.
“They are now recovering from the flights and finalising preparations for their assault on some of the most prestigious races on the Australian racing calendar, thanks to the diligent work of our Department of Agriculture officers.”
The Department of Agriculture manages the import of all animals into Australia and works with the racing industry to manage biosecurity risks ahead of the Melbourne Spring Racing Carnival, the biggest annual racing event on the Australian calendar.
"Post entry quarantine is part of an integrated and coordinated system of biosecurity implemented to protect Australia from unwanted pests and disease," Minister Joyce said.
“Equally important is the mandatory quarantine in approved facilities prior to arrival in Australia.”
The first consignment of 10 horses have finished their quarantine and are already proving their worth, with Dandino placing second in the Caulfield Cup at the weekend. The latest arrivals will begin their quarantine today and includes previous cup winner Dunaden.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:17 pm

And the point of this press release is??
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Psyber » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:19 pm

14 days sounds like a very short and unsafe quarantine time frame.
It used to be 6 months when I looked into importing a dog from either the USA or the UK some years ago.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:42 pm

heater31 wrote:And the point of this press release is??

To let the public know that the government doesn't extend its tough stance on overseas entrants to our country to horses ;)
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
heater31 wrote:And the point of this press release is??

To let the public know that the government doesn't extend its tough stance on overseas entrants to our country to horses ;)

There is a reason for that they arrive by plane not boat ;)
heater31

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:52 pm

Muse - Live at Rome Olympic Stadium is the first concert film ever to be presented in 4K, a format soon to be adopted by Hollywood as standard for all blockbuster films. Now becoming widely known as Ultra High Definition, 4K means more pixels - to be precise 8.8 million of them - bursting off the screen in every frame, four times more than we’re used to seeing in the cinema.

For fans of the band, more pixels mean an unrivalled opportunity to experience the full visual spectrum of their Rome stadium show shot in July this year. The Ultra High Definition format gives the cinema audience astonishing detail combining jaw-dropping shots of the Stadio Olimpico with views from 'spider' cameras darting above the surging crowd and on stage close-ups that expose the musical mastery and showmanship of the trio.

In early November, 20 cinemas in 20 cities worldwide will host a special screening of Muse – Live at Rome Olympic Stadium exclusively in 4K. The unique screenings will take place Sydney, Los Angeles and will take in other capital cities including Tokyo, Rome, Paris, London and Rio.

On Thursday 7 November, Muse - Live at Rome Olympic Stadium will be screened nationally in Australia from 7:00pm.

Event Cinemas - George St

505-525 George St, Sydney, NSW

Tickets: $20 - on sale now at www.eventcinemas.com.au

Event Cinemas – Chermside

Westfield Shopping Centre, Gympie Rd, Chermside, QLD

Event Cinemas - Innaloo

57 Liege St, Innaloo, WA

Event Cinemas Marion

Level 3, 297 Diagonal Rd, Oaklands Park, SA

Village Cinemas - Jam Factory

500 Chapel Street, South Yarra, VIC

Tickets: $20 - on sale now at www.villagecinemas.com.au

Muse said “This is the biggest tour we’ve done in terms of scale and production value and it’s definitely the show we’re most proud of so we’re really excited to be able to release it as the first ever ultra high definition concert film. It captures an extraordinary amount of detail and not just everything we’re doing - the fans, even those at the back, the set, the actors and the incredible atmosphere on a very special night in Rome. We can promise our fans, whether they managed to come to the live shows or not, an entirely new Muse concert experience”

About the film

Muse – Live at Rome Olympic Stadium filmed on 6th July 2013 in front of a capacity audience of over 60,000, captures the momentous evening in the Italian capital and showcases the most extravagant set build and spectacular stage show of any Muse tour to date. The three school friends from Devon take the audience on a mesmerizing journey using pyrotechnics, expansive digital screens and a troop of actors to accompany their epic playlist of 20 tracks, mixed in incredible surround sound, including hits from their most recent studio album The 2nd Law, as well as classics such as Uprising, Supermassive Black Hole, Time Is Running Out, Starlight and Plug-In Baby.

About Muse

Muse are an English rock band who have released six studio albums and sold in excess of 15 million albums worldwide. Widely recognised as one of the best live bands in the world, they have won numerous music awards including five MTV Europe Music Awards, six NME Awards and six Q Awards. The have twice been awarded "Best British Live Act" at The Brits and have also been nominated for five Grammy Awards, wining Best Rock Album for The Resistance. Their current tour commenced in October 2012 and has seen the band perform to over 2 million fans worldwide.

About Omniverse Vision

Omniverse Vision was formed in 2010 and produces and distributes alternative content for cinemas globally. With a network of more than 4,000 locations in more than 60 countries, Omniverse Vision is at the leading edge of digital cinema content and has delivered cinema events in the music, stage and sports categories. For more information, visit www.omniversevision.com
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby dedja » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:42 pm

That they can get you into trouble ...
It is better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 972 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:42 am

Media release: October 30, 2013

Schoolies join parade to bring Guinness World Record bikini title back home

Schoolies everywhere are answering the call to help bring the Guinness World Record bikini parade world title back to its spiritual home of Surfers Paradise.

Hundreds of Schoolies have put their hands up to be part of the Gold Coast Bikini Parade 2013 World Record Attempt to be held on November 30, during the annual Schoolies Week celebrations.

CEO of schoolies.com Matt Lloyd said Schoolies were loving the idea of participating in the Guinness world record bikini parade attempt, which epitomised summer fun on the Gold Coast with the added bonus of raising funds for the Surfers Paradise SLSC.

“Heaps of Schoolies are registering for the bikini parade when they book their schoolies.com holiday. They are pretty keen to play a part in bringing the title back to the Gold Coast where it rightfully belongs,’’ Mr Lloyd said.

The Gold Coast originally set the record in 2011 with 357 bikini-wearing women and girls on parade. The title later fell in Panama City with 450 and is currently held by China with 1058.

Held as part of the Gold Coast Swim Fashion Festival, the Gold Coast Bikini parade is the total distance walked in a single line of 1.6km.

And the boys don’t have to miss out on the fun. This year there is a special boardies and budgie smugglers category created just for them.

The Gold Coast Bikini Parade supports Surfers Paradise Surf Life Saving Club.

Schoolies.com are the experts in Schoolies holidays, booking in excess of 500,000 schoolies over the past 25 years.

All schoolies.com customers enjoy a range of exclusive benefits such as supervised events, Schoolies photo ID, comprehensive security arrangements at accommodation, 24-hour helpline for students and parents, financial security and more.

For all Schoolies information including how to register for the Gold Coast Bikini Parade 2013 World Record Attempt, visit http://www.schoolies.com/
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:44 am

Don’t pick up a blood-sucker this Halloween
While bats may be a common sight during Halloween, SA Health is reminding people not to touch the real-life animals if they find them in the environment.
Bats can carry a range of serious diseases which can be transmitted to humans if they are bitten or scratched by an infected bat.
Dr Chris Lease, Director Health Protection, SA Health, said the warning comes after a number of dead flying foxes were discovered in the Glenelg/Dover Gardens area.
“Bats are not commonly found in metropolitan Adelaide so some residents may not be aware of the risks involved in handling them,” Dr Lease said.
“Dracula may be safe, but humans could potentially be exposing themselves to a number of diseases, including Australian Bat Lyssa virus (ABL).
“While not present in all bats, these diseases can cause serious illnesses, including paralysis, delirium, convulsions, and can also be fatal.
“That is why it is important to treat all bats as if they were potentially infectious and not attempt to handle them unless you are an appropriately trained and vaccinated professional or a vampire.”
SA Health advises that if you are bitten or scratched by a bat, you should:
 immediately and thoroughly wash the wound with soap and water
 apply an antiseptic solution such as povidone-iodine
 seek immediate medical attention from a GP or hospital emergency department
ABL has been found to be present in low numbers in bat populations in Queensland, New South Wales and Victoria, and last year was found for the first time in SA in a dead flying fox.
Earlier this year an eight year old boy in Queensland died after contracting ABL. This was the first reported case in Australia since 1998. The disease is usually fatal unless treatment is given as soon as possible after exposure. All cases were reported to have had close contact with bats.
Bats are also known to carry the Hendra virus and Menangle virus, however they are generally passed on to horses or pigs, rather than directly to humans. There have been no reported cases of either virus in humans in South Australia.
If you come across a dead or injured bat, contact Fauna Rescue’s 24-hour helpline on 82890896 to arrange its removal.
For more information visit www.sahealth.sa.gov.au.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:29 am

On the myth of the Melbourne Cup being the race that stops the nation:

The Race That Stops (a third of) the Nation

Gai Whathouse? Around two thirds of Australians don’t watch the Melbourne Cup, with declining rates of viewership over the last decade sharpest among people under 35.

In the year to June 2013, just 1 in 3 Australians aged 14+ (34%) said they watch the Melbourne Cup on TV ‘almost always or occasionally’, down from 38% 10 years ago.

At three o’clock on the first Tuesday in November, Australians under 35 are most likely going to just keep doing whatever they were doing at 2.59pm. 16% of 14-24 year olds (down from 26% in 2003) and 25% of 25-34 year-olds (down from 35%) say they watch the Cup on TV.

Even the most avid watchers, Australians 50+, began tuning out from 2007-2011 but are now back up, with 44% watching.

Those who watch the race on TV are, naturally, more likely to know who sponsors it. In the 12 months to June 2012, 22% of Australians overall associated Emirates with the Melbourne Cup—ranging from 26% of 35-49 year-olds to just 9% of the Under-25s. Over 10 years since it sponsored the race, Foster’s is still associated with the Cup by around 5% of Australians.

In Victoria, where Cup Day is a public holiday, overall TV viewership remains above the national average at 40%, although it’s also down slightly from 43% in 2003.

George Pesutto, Media and Communications General Manager, Roy Morgan Research, says:

“The Melbourne Cup may be an iconic national sporting event but Australians—under 35 especially—are less likely now than ten years ago to watch the race on TV.

“Perhaps it should be re-dubbed as ‘the race that stops an ever-shrinking proportion of the nation while the vast majority go about their normal business’.

“It is vital for brand marketers to carefully monitor changing trends in viewership to determine if their target market is actually tuning in.”
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:13 am

What about radio? Can distinctly remember tuning in to tab radio on several occasions in high school....

With a teacher heavily involved in punting he once excused himself from the last lesson of the day 20 minutes early so he could get to the local track to watch his nag run :lol:
heater31

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 am

I wonder about this study as well.
I think they're not really taking into account people following it on new media.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Psyber » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:03 pm

The media hype is always there, but the number of times I've watched the Melbourne Cup on TV could be counted on the fingers of one hand.
I enjoy riding horses rather than watching them, just as I enjoy driving cars but don't watch others doing so.
(Similarly I didn't watch porn and still don't. ;) )
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby HH3 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:00 pm

Psyber wrote:The media hype is always there, but the number of times I've watched the Melbourne Cup on TV could be counted on the fingers of one hand.
I enjoy riding horses rather than watching them, just as I enjoy driving cars but don't watch others doing so.
(Similarly I didn't watch porn and still don't. ;) )

I watch the Melbourne Cup on TV but dont ride, watch people race cars but dont race, and watch a heap of porn....we're two very different people. Maybe thats why I enjoy your stories. A few of how other people live. :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Illegal tobacco grows since plain packaging introduced
The first illegal tobacco report released since plain packaging was introduced last year shows the problem has worsened with the tobacco black market now booming with illicit cigarettes imported from mainly Asia.
The report was released today and has been compiled by KPMG. It shows that organised criminal gangs are ripping off the Australian Government and taxpayers a $1 billion a year while the overall size of the market has grown from 11.8 per cent to 13.3 per cent.
Combined with plan packing and our already high tobacco tax rates, the previous government’s plan to increase tobacco excise another 60 per cent over the next four years will see the illegal tobacco problem skyrocket.
British American Tobacco Australia (BATA) spokesperson Scott McIntyre said the future was bright for crime bosses but scary for the government and taxpayers.
“Nearly 70 per cent of every dollar sold from a legal pack of cigarettes goes to the government in excise, which is why tobacco smuggling is such a lucrative venture for gangs as they obviously don’t pay any tax and pocket the profits instead,” Mr McIntyre said.
“You don’t need to be a crime expert to see that escalating the excise rate by 50 per cent over the next few years will see gangsters stacking more cash than ever while in turn slugging smokers in the hip pocket.
“Instead of steep excise hikes, more resources for agencies and greater enforcement of plain pack laws by the Health Department will see a reduction in illegal tobacco sales, particularly at a local level.
“Dodgy retailers are selling illegal branded cigarette packs imported from Asia and the Middle East, most without health warnings, freely and openly across Australia. They appear to have no fear of getting caught because the plain packaging laws are not being enforced at a retailer level.
“They should be fined over $340,000 for every non plain packaging compliant pack they sell. To date, we’re not aware of one retailer who has been fined for selling branded illegal packs.
“A fine that size would shut down most dodgy retailers over night, it wouldn’t take many of them to be fined before most pulled the pin on their illegal activities due to the financial risk.
“The excise system needs to be reviewed. But enforcement needs to be ramped up immediately.”
Key facts and figures from the October 2013 KPMG LLP report:
 The illegal market is now at its highest ever point and is equal to 13.3 per cent of total tobacco consumption.
 The Australian Government and taxpayers are losing $1 billion to tobacco smugglers a year.
 The illegal tobacco rate has trended upward since it was first measured in 2007.
 KPMG has compiled over 200 reports across 27 countries in the EU.
 They will produce two Australian reports a year for the industry.
 They use the most robust methodology available for compiling illegal tobacco reports.
 For the first time an empty pack survey is part of the report which includes the collection and analysis of empty cigarette packs from 16 cities around the country.
 While chop chop is still a big issue, illegally imported branded cigarettes now make up nearly 60 per cent of the tobacco black market.
 In fact, the use of illegal cigarettes grew 154 per cent in the last year alone.
Mr McIntyre said that while police and other enforcement agencies did a great job, the illegal tobacco problem was so big it needed greater focus and more government attention.
“The Australian Crime Commission believe that organised crime groups view tobacco smuggling as low-risk and highly profitable, and that they also use the proceeds to fund other illegal activities. Obviously this needs to stop,” he said.
The annual illegal tobacco report was commissioned by BATA, Philip Morris International and Imperial Tobacco Australia.
By undertaking the report, and by BATA undertaking its own covert operations, the industry is hopeful it can work more closely with government to stamp out the illegal tobacco problem.
This will benefit the government, taxpayers, the community, honest retailers and the legal tobacco business which contributes over $10 billion a year to the government in taxes.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Next

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion