Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:42 am

Yeah it would be tough for them.

Interesting to know what the break even crowd to open Elizabeth or Norwood would be. I would imagine it would be pretty small, basically staff costs. Unley would be more given they still have to put up that fence (do they? Haven't been there in a few years)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby SimonH » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:52 pm

This story is very interesting because the WAFL, which is going through its own 'AFL reserves sides' ructions, has made it explicit: $280k salary cap for the remaining independent WAFL clubs, $170k for the 'AFL aligned' clubs. 60% of the salary cap for AFL-aligned clubs is exceptionally generous, bearing in mind that they have access to up to 22 players, at least half of whom will be of good state league quality, for nothing. But at least the WAFL is upfront as to what's going on and what's allowed: all of the nonsense ('$400 a game cap', 'leadership player', and for Port 'deferred leadership player who's our captain but officially we'd like everyone to pretend that he's on a quarter of what the 2nd-worst-paid SANFL captain is on in 2014') means that there is zero transparency on the basic question: What is the salary cap for each AFL club re its team in the SANFL competition?

Plan 'a' is still to boot out the Crows and tell Port Adelaide 'field a proper SANFL league side, or don't field a team in the SANFL at all; your call'. But if that doesn't work, rather than all of this arrant bullshit, give them both a SANFL team salary cap (I'd guess in the realm of $120–$150k would be fair) and they can spend it however they want.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby kickinit » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:15 am

SimonH wrote:This story is very interesting because the WAFL, which is going through its own 'AFL reserves sides' ructions, has made it explicit: $280k salary cap for the remaining independent WAFL clubs, $170k for the 'AFL aligned' clubs. 60% of the salary cap for AFL-aligned clubs is exceptionally generous, bearing in mind that they have access to up to 22 players, at least half of whom will be of good state league quality, for nothing. But at least the WAFL is upfront as to what's going on and what's allowed: all of the nonsense ('$400 a game cap', 'leadership player', and for Port 'deferred leadership player who's our captain but officially we'd like everyone to pretend that he's on a quarter of what the 2nd-worst-paid SANFL captain is on in 2014') means that there is zero transparency on the basic question: What is the salary cap for each AFL club re its team in the SANFL competition?

Plan 'a' is still to boot out the Crows and tell Port Adelaide 'field a proper SANFL league side, or don't field a team in the SANFL at all; your call'. But if that doesn't work, rather than all of this arrant bullshit, give them both a SANFL team salary cap (I'd guess in the realm of $120–$150k would be fair) and they can spend it however they want.

Do you really think port would ask to sign a leadership player under the age of 28 and once we got told no pay him more anyway. If we were going to pay him more we would of kept our mouths shut and paid him under the table.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby SANFLnut » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:56 pm

Have Adelaide announced their SANFL side for this weeks trial v Sturt?
Be interested to see their mix of top up players.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Big Phil » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:03 pm

SANFLnut wrote:Have Adelaide announced their SANFL side for this weeks trial v Sturt?

Announcing it Friday. A couple of players mentioned in below article...

http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2395/
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 273 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am

Big Phil wrote:
SANFLnut wrote:Have Adelaide announced their SANFL side for this weeks trial v Sturt?

The system Adelaide is using really is a mess, isn't it?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:23 am

Booney wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

The system Adelaide is using really is a mess, isn't it?

Integrity of our magnificent comp is gone, and I don't like it
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 am

People will see this as me Crow-bashing....but, clearly Port's set-up was considered and has, from the start, been taking the competition into account.

dedja and plenty of other posters think the Magpies will have no real focus on the SANFL season, I truly think they will. Having spoken to several people close to the groups, the Magpies side is set for a big year and has some certainty about the structure.

Adelaides is shambolic at best and diabolical at worst. Potentially they could be contacting players and clubs midweek between games looking for top-up players. I can see that set-up being laughable mid-season.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:44 am

Booney wrote:People will see this as me Crow-bashing....but, clearly Port's set-up was considered and has, from the start, been taking the competition into account.

dedja and plenty of other posters think the Magpies will have no real focus on the SANFL season, I truly think they will. Having spoken to several people close to the groups, the Magpies side is set for a big year and has some certainty about the structure.

Adelaides is shambolic at best and diabolical at worst. Potentially they could be contacting players and clubs midweek between games looking for top-up players. I can see that set-up being laughable mid-season.

correct me if i am wrong, but dont the top players have to be at the crows for a minimum of 6 week blocks?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 am

Booney wrote:People will see this as me Crow-bashing....but, clearly Port's set-up was considered and has, from the start, been taking the competition into account.

Please beenreal, I mean Booney. Port aren't concerned about the sanfl and haven't been for years. The only reason they are trying slightly harder than the Crows is the old port magpie supporters.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 am

bennymacca wrote:

correct me if i am wrong, but dont the top players have to be at the crows for a minimum of 6 week blocks?

I believe so, but what happens if Adelaide suffer several injuries at either AFL or SANFL level? I imagine their pool of SANFL players wouldn't have 4-5 excess each week. If so, those players could go weeks without playing, yes?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:54 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:

Please beenreal, I mean Booney. Port aren't concerned about the sanfl and haven't been for years. The only reason they are trying slightly harder than the Crows is the old port magpie supporters.

I guess time will tell.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

I believe so, but what happens if Adelaide suffer several injuries at either AFL or SANFL level? I imagine their pool of SANFL players wouldn't have 4-5 excess each week. If so, those players could go weeks without playing, yes?

Yeah not sure what happens there. These are players that basically aren't getting a league game at other clubs, so do they sign up 5/6 more than they need and then they play in their normal sanfl reserves game if not required?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:12 pm

4 injuries today in the AFL trial game. At this rate the SANFL side wont be able to put a side on the park
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3554 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm

Port flag favourites. Their top up players are miles better than the crows.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 736 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Postby SANFLnut » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:34 pm

Adelaide's set up is shambolic and/or diabolical. Adelaide's process of recruiting country players has prevented a few of these from doing full pre seasons with SANFL clubs.

Port have not tried to do the right thing by the competition. Port have tried to the right thing by Port. Self interest is not benevolence. They will continue to try and argue they should keep a structure that clearly gives them an advantage beyond this season.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Postby SANFLnut » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

The prospect of playing Adelaide in the first month of SANFL season suddenly looks far more attractive than a week ago. The gap between their best weeks and their worst weeks is going to be significant and a bad thing for the comp.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Postby bennymacca » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:48 pm

SANFLnut wrote:The prospect of playing Adelaide in the first month of SANFL season suddenly looks far more attractive than a week ago. The gap between their best weeks and their worst weeks is going to be significant and a bad thing for the comp.

yeah its going to be interesting in that regard
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:50 pm

SANFLnut wrote:The prospect of playing Adelaide in the first month of SANFL season suddenly looks far more attractive than a week ago. The gap between their best weeks and their worst weeks is going to be significant and a bad thing for the comp.

It never looked attractive.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby SANFLnut » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:53 pm

I meant purely from an onfield get the 2 points perspective.

I reckon 10 out of their 25 named have played for Sturt at junior or senior level. Internal trial?
SANFLnut
Reserves

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL