Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves 2014

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:Yet the new untried system, in Simons view, doesn't seem to have any benefits. Untried, I stress.

With the restrictions placed on the Crows and power, and rightly so, they won't be able to get potential afl players into there reserve teams.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby SimonH » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:16 pm

Booney wrote:So, Simon, it seems you think anyone over 18 not playing league football or in the AFL system is on the AFL scrapheap and AFL clubs are not watching them. Is this correct?
Name one SA player aged over 18 (i.e. who's missed out in the draft period once) not playing SANFL league football who has been drafted or rookied. kickinit has conceded there isn't one; but if you can enlighten us, please do so. 'Scrapheap' is your word; the fact is that if you're going to push yourself back into contention, the very first step is to get picked at SANFL league level.

To claim
kickinit wrote:Your basing your entire argument on what's happened in the past. That would be fine but things have changed and there is something new and improved to the system.

there needs to be some actual rational argument to suggest that AFL talent scouts and clubs are going to act differently from how they have to date. 'Look! We call our SANFL reserves squad an academy!' isn't such an argument. The selling angle 'you get to hang around and train at One Club, maybe run into an AFL coach and use the same weights equipment that Jay Schulz uses, and if you're under our noses and doing a good job your AFL dream is more likely to come true' has been an available argument to try to persuade players to come and play for the Port SANFL reserves side since 2011. It hasn't exactly produced a stampede. There's no change of substance at all, let alone a change so great as to completely alter the way that AFL clubs go about selecting draftees and rookies from SA.

The simple fact is, there is no evidence for the claim, 'join an AFL club (at no matter how pitiful a level) after missing out in the draft, and you're more likely to get drafted'. And there is plenty of evidence for the claim that once you are over 18yoa, you need to be playing footy that makes you stand out at SANFL league level to be a chance of being picked up as a mature draftee. A talented 18yo who has missed out in the AFL draft, will know these things. All of this 'facts' and 'evidence' stuff is inconvenient I know, but just saying the word 'academy' or the phrase 'new and improved' doesn't sprinkle magical fairy dust on the way the system works.
SimonH
Under 18s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby kickinit » Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:46 pm

SimonH wrote:
Booney wrote:So, Simon, it seems you think anyone over 18 not playing league football or in the AFL system is on the AFL scrapheap and AFL clubs are not watching them. Is this correct?
Name one SA player aged over 18 (i.e. who's missed out in the draft period once) not playing SANFL league football who has been drafted or rookied. kickinit has conceded there isn't one; but if you can enlighten us, please do so. 'Scrapheap' is your word; the fact is that if you're going to push yourself back into contention, the very first step is to get picked at SANFL league level.

To claim
kickinit wrote:Your basing your entire argument on what's happened in the past. That would be fine but things have changed and there is something new and improved to the system.

there needs to be some actual rational argument to suggest that AFL talent scouts and clubs are going to act differently from how they have to date. 'Look! We call our SANFL reserves squad an academy!' isn't such an argument. The selling angle 'you get to hang around and train at One Club, maybe run into an AFL coach and use the same weights equipment that Jay Schulz uses, and if you're under our noses and doing a good job your AFL dream is more likely to come true' has been an available argument to try to persuade players to come and play for the Port SANFL reserves side since 2011. It hasn't exactly produced a stampede. There's no change of substance at all, let alone a change so great as to completely alter the way that AFL clubs go about selecting draftees and rookies from SA.

The simple fact is, there is no evidence for the claim, 'join an AFL club (at no matter how pitiful a level) after missing out in the draft, and you're more likely to get drafted'. And there is plenty of evidence for the claim that once you are over 18yoa, you need to be playing footy that makes you stand out at SANFL league level to be a chance of being picked up as a mature draftee. A talented 18yo who has missed out in the AFL draft, will know these things. All of this 'facts' and 'evidence' stuff is inconvenient I know, but just saying the word 'academy' or the phrase 'new and improved' doesn't sprinkle magical fairy dust on the way the system works.

Like with your article you don't have a clue what you are talking about, as pointed out in bold. Once you actually understand how it is going to work then you have a better understanding. These players WILL have access to AFL coaches and will have access to the fitness staff. So trying to say "they might" is as pointless as your article.
We're on this journey together, One Heart, One Club and they will Never Ever Tear Us Apart.
kickinit
League - Top 5

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 95 times

Postby Hazydog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:45 pm

From what I can gather, Crows members gain free admission to all Crows SANFL matches. Not the case for Power members however.

Assuming this is true - I'd like to know how this has been approved? Is it part of the $50K or whatever it is they are paying to each club? What do supporters of SANFL teams think, given that they have to shell out hard earned to watch the same game that one set of supporters gets to watch for free?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:43 pm

Hazydog wrote:From what I can gather, Crows members gain free admission to all Crows SANFL matches. Not the case for Power members however.

Assuming this is true - I'd like to know how this has been approved? Is it part of the $50K or whatever it is they are paying to each club? What do supporters of SANFL teams think, given that they have to shell out hard earned to watch the same game that one set of supporters gets to watch for free?

You would hope that a $ portion of Crows memberships (that include free SANFL entry) are returned to the SANFL then if that is the case
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby RB » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:53 pm

I have no faith in the Commission/SANFL/SANFL clubs to negotiate for such a portion.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:06 pm

RB wrote:I have no faith in the Commission/SANFL/SANFL clubs to negotiate for such a portion.

I hear ya :(
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:44 pm

JK wrote:
Hazydog wrote:From what I can gather, Crows members gain free admission to all Crows SANFL matches. Not the case for Power members however.

You would hope that a $ portion of Crows memberships (that include free SANFL entry) are returned to the SANFL then if that is the case

They get 100% of bar and catering, I guess that was one of the things that would have been negotiated, with the crows not having "home" games
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:58 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

They get 100% of bar and catering, I guess that was one of the things that would have been negotiated, with the crows not having "home" games

Would be nice if the football public knew the details though don't you think?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:05 pm

Can't disagree there.

Are the minutes of some of these meetings made public? Wouldn't surprise me if they were. Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't either
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:08 pm

I think most of us have just been waiting for David Burtenshaw to return with the explanations
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Hazydog » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:

But home teams already get 100% of bar & catering?
Players win touches, Teams win matches, Clubs win Premierships.
Hazydog
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 190 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:12 pm

yep, but the crows dont play home games, so the other teams get an extra home game per year
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:18 pm

What a deal. No wonder they were voted in.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:43 pm

bennymacca wrote:yep, but the crows dont play home games, so the other teams get an extra home game per year

10 last year, 10 this year. No different, just a shorter season.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:56 pm

Fair point, forgot that there was a shorter season
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Mark_Beswick » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:23 pm

Be happy for port to have the same deal as crows in 2015 and lose their home games in their 4th year as a club
Mark_Beswick
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Adelaide Crows Reserves

Postby SANFLnut » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:57 pm

The reason the Crows don't have home games is that they did not want them. They should have been forced to have them and been like every other club and incur the costs that go with them. Instead they play away and their supporters don't have to pay to get in. As usual they try and make it sound like they are doing everyone else a favour.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby bennymacca » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:05 am

Lol if you are making a loss at a home game you are doing something wrong.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby SANFLnut » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:16 am

If you paid to put up temporary fencing at Max Basheer, brought in portable toilets and made it suitable for an SANFL league game the crowd required to break even would be about 4500 I reckon. If they don't charge their members entry fee they will need 3500 opposition supporters alone to show up. Or you could open up AAMI for about 3 times the cost. Or pay Westies to hire Richmond rather than play against us there for free.

Would love a suggestion of how the Crows make a profit from hosting an SANFL game.
SANFLnut
Reserves

Been liked: 65 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL