General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:43 pm

Yeah we get that feeling as well. But we are only 3 EPs in
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Magellan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:09 am

Saw "The Central Park Five"on Netflix last night.

It's another true crime doco, except unlike MAM it's a feature length movie, so it doesn't get into as much depth as MAM does with Avery's case(s). Having said that, the injustice is so clear-cut that it doesn't need ten episodes for you to feel angry and scared.

Definitely worth a look.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:47 am

More true crime fun from the US.

Had a look at "Kids for Cash" on Netflix last night. This is a true story of a youth court judge in Pennsylvania who adopted a zero tolerance for youth crime to the extent that he sent kids who has committed minor misdemeanors (shoplifting DVDs, arguing in public, publishing a fake MySpace page) to time in juvenile detention for several years. It come out in about 2008 that he got a payment from a privately run youth detention facility for every kid he incarcerated. The film looks at the affected families, and the eventual trial of the judge.

Again, worth a look, but it'll make you sad and angry in the process.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:45 pm

Im watching Behind The Mask on Stan.

It follows 4 real life sports mascots. High school, college, semi-pro hockey and pro basketball.

Its actually a really good show.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby HH3 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:01 pm

I literally just watched a 10 episode season in one sitting
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:17 pm

HH3 wrote:Im watching Behind The Mask on Stan.

It follows 4 real life sports mascots. High school, college, semi-pro hockey and pro basketball.

Thanks for the heads up HH3, we sussed this one out this weekend, and yes, it's worth a look. Interesting perspectives of the types of people who don the suit in the name of supporting their team, and their lives at home. Some are more interesting than others, the college guy mascot is a bit of a w@nker IMO. I hope the pro basketball guy is well insured. Short 25 minute episodes makes it quite digestible for binge-watching.

However, I've hit the halfway mark of the first series, and I'm not sure there's much more that I can be bothered learning about the 4 mascots that I haven't already learned. I reckon I might move to season 2, which I think tackles a bunch of new mascots.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:28 pm

This weekend I started watching the following shows, which are worth a look.

"Occupied" - a Norwegian drama about a Russian 'invasion' in the near future based on the Norwegian PM's controversial decision to cut its oil and gas production to the EU in favour of sustainable nuclear energy. You'll need to suspend your disbelief a bit, but it's well paced and a novel idea. Apparently a massive hit over in Norway (second only to death metal/burning churches).

"Billions" - The US attorney general has his sights sets on prosecuting a billionaire hedge fund manager and popular philanthropist who is suspected of insider trading on a massive scale. Essentially its a game of chess between the AG (played by Paul Giamatti of "Sideways" and "Straight Outta Compton") and the billionaire (played by Damian Lewis, who played Nicholas Brody in "Homeland"). It's fresh from the US, so unfortunately we're getting it on a weekly drip-fed basis which eliminates any binge-a-thons. Episode 3 should be available tomorrow.
Magellan
Coach

Postby HH3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Magellan wrote:

Thanks for the heads up HH3, we sussed this one out this weekend, and yes, it's worth a look. Interesting perspectives of the types of people who don the suit in the name of supporting their team, and their lives at home. Some are more interesting than others, the college guy mascot is a bit of a w@nker IMO. I hope the pro basketball guy is well insured. Short 25 minute episodes makes it quite digestible for binge-watching.

However, I've hit the halfway mark of the first series, and I'm not sure there's much more that I can be bothered learning about the 4 mascots that I haven't already learned. I reckon I might move to season 2, which I think tackles a bunch of new mascots.

I thought Jersey (Hey Reb) was a wanker too, but he actually seems like a good guy later on. His bravado is stripped away towards the end.

There were certain aspects of Tux's life that I relate to as well.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 am

HH3 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I thought Jersey (Hey Reb) was a wanker too, but he actually seems like a good guy later on. His bravado is stripped away towards the end.

There were certain aspects of Tux's life that I relate to as well.

Cool, I might persevere for a bit longer then.

For mine, I found Michael the most interesting, being the awkward teenage kid who was transformed once in the suit. I think the key is that they all demonstrate some tension - their job reveals an aspiration to be better (Tux) or some kind of human frailty, with the exception of the Bucks' mascot, whose only tension in his life is his five kids and whether he decides to risk his life doing a pre-match stunt.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Grenville » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:37 pm

Watching Fawlty Towers - the Germans. Still makes me laugh, a timeless classic.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:48 pm

Grenville wrote:Watching Fawlty Towers - the Germans. Still makes me laugh, a timeless classic.

Funniest show. Ever.
Magellan
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:35 pm

Grenville wrote:Watching Fawlty Towers - the Germans. Still makes me laugh, a timeless classic.

My favourite episode is the old deaf woman.

"TURN. ON. YOUR. HEEEAAARING. AID."

"What?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:37 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

My favourite episode is the old deaf woman.

"TURN. ON. YOUR. HEEEAAARING. AID."

"What?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcliR8kAbzc

"Is this a piece of your brain?" I loved that episode too. Mrs Richards was a classic old meddlesome ratbag.

My favourite episode is the Waldorf salad one. "What is a Waldorf? A walnut that's gone off?"
Magellan
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:43 pm

I know it's not strictly a TV show, but it's on the telly right now, and it's an absolutely hilarious movie classic.

The Big Lebowski.
Magellan
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:51 am

Seeing this is a general tv discussion does anyone have apple tv? We've been told to get an apple tv 2 jailbroken as it has "everything". Any thoughts?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby JK » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:37 am

gadj1976 wrote:Seeing this is a general tv discussion does anyone have apple tv? We've been told to get an apple tv 2 jailbroken as it has "everything". Any thoughts?

We've had Apple TV for a while, but have moved it out of the family room as we don't need it for Netflix anymore .. All that stuff is the missus' domain, I just know how to watch what I want, but have NFI about how to make it happen/connect etc.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:49 am

gadj1976 wrote:Seeing this is a general tv discussion does anyone have apple tv? We've been told to get an apple tv 2 jailbroken as it has "everything". Any thoughts?

What do you want to use it for?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Banker » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:36 pm

Just watched Long Way Round with Ewan McGregor. Had low expectations but it was fantastic. Definitely recommend
Banker
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby Grenville » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Magellan wrote:I know it's not strictly a TV show, but it's on the telly right now, and it's an absolutely hilarious movie classic.

The Big Lebowski.

In my top 10 movies of all time. Absolute belter.
Grenville
Veteran

Has liked: 262 times
Been liked: 761 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:37 pm

Grenville wrote:
Magellan wrote:I know it's not strictly a TV show, but it's on the telly right now, and it's an absolutely hilarious movie classic.

The Big Lebowski.

In my top 10 movies of all time. Absolute belter.

Walter is such an ar$ehole, but so damn funny. So many quality exchanges with Donny and The Dude.

"Larry, do you see what happens when you f**k a stranger in the ass?!?"
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment