Things that make you sad.

Anything!

Re: Things that make you sad.

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:20 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Booney wrote:It is indeed. I'm sorry to hear that mal.

I've currently got to make a decision on a 9 going 10 year old Beagle who needs a cyst removed ( no issues here, non cancerous and gets done next week ) but he also needs a full knee reconstruction. He's always been an outside dog,so the thought of caging him up for up to 3 months worries me as much as the alternatives.
At the moment he's pain free and still tear arses around chasing his partner in crime, then he limps/favours his right hind for a day or two then he's right. The cruciate in his knee is in a degenerative state and needs full repair. The initial 3 week period is no activity at all, from there it's 6-8 weeks of 5-10 minute leesh exercise per day and then after 12-14 weeks he can be a dog again.....he may also go for another 12 months and it not be an issue, then again it might blow out tomorrow.

My little mate, Chas, has had two knee recons and the process wasn't quite as bad as all that.
He's much better now, but still has arthritis shots. He's eight.
Your pup will be better for it, mate. Chas is very active and, keeping him locked up was a bit hard at first, but he handled it well and, he seemed to be back to himself again well within 12 months.

Agreed and we'll be looking at getting it done just prior to Xmas while we both have two weeks off. With one kid at school, one working and both of us full time it's the hours he'll be home alone "caged" that worries us the most, for his own well being and mental health.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:33 am

Beagles are different to most dogs, but it'll be ok. ;)
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Alaska » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am

I've currently got to make a decision on a 9 going 10 year old Beagle who needs a cyst removed ( no issues here, non cancerous and gets done next week ) but he also needs a full knee reconstruction. He's always been an outside dog,so the thought of caging him up for up to 3 months worries me as much as the alternatives.
At the moment he's pain free and still tear arses around chasing his partner in crime, then he limps/favours his right hind for a day or two then he's right. The cruciate in his knee is in a degenerative state and needs full repair. The initial 3 week period is no activity at all, from there it's 6-8 weeks of 5-10 minute leesh exercise per day and then after 12-14 weeks he can be a dog again.....he may also go for another 12 months and it not be an issue, then again it might blow out tomorrow.

I had a knee reconstruction done on our 6 year old Collie in March. The six weeks of initial rehab is time consuming as it involved heat and cold packs and massage as well as the controlled leash walks. The issue is when you try to build it up over the next few months without him going bunta after the roos, sheep, neighbours dog, etc. I went away for 7 weeks during the process and his gait had changed to Peppy La Pew so I had to start again. He is back to normal now but I need to watch he doesn’t get tired and does something stupid or worse doe the other one (Apparently 25 % chance of doing the other one). He now does understand a new command “SLOWLY”. It is a long process for him and you, in addition to the $6K.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:45 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Beagles are different to most dogs, but it'll be ok. ;)

Tell me something I don't know. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:47 am

Alaska wrote:

I had a knee reconstruction done on our 6 year old Collie in March. The six weeks of initial rehab is time consuming as it involved heat and cold packs and massage as well as the controlled leash walks. The issue is when you try to build it up over the next few months without him going bunta after the roos, sheep, neighbours dog, etc. I went away for 7 weeks during the process and his gait had changed to Peppy La Pew so I had to start again. He is back to normal now but I need to watch he doesn’t get tired and does something stupid or worse doe the other one (Apparently 25 % chance of doing the other one). He now does understand a new command “SLOWLY”. It is a long process for him and you, in addition to the $6K.

As this is not a chronic issue ( like we humans who rupture our cruciate ) it's degenerative so there's basically 100% chance the other will go the same and therefore require the same treatment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby norwood8 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:11 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

My little mate, Chas, has had two knee recons and the process wasn't quite as bad as all that.
He's much better now, but still has arthritis shots. He's eight.
Your pup will be better for it, mate. Chas is very active and, keeping him locked up was a bit hard at first, but he handled it well and, he seemed to be back to himself again well within 12 months.

Agreed and we'll be looking at getting it done just prior to Xmas while we both have two weeks off. With one kid at school, one working and both of us full time it's the hours he'll be home alone "caged" that worries us the most, for his own well being and mental health.

I'm sure he will be fine mate, if it makes his quality of life better in the long run that's a massive positive.

The way we look after our furry friends these days means they live much longer and more meaningful lives, quite often late into their teens, our 17 year old Border Collie is proof :D.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:37 am

Yet another mass shooting in the United States, at least 12 dead. When will they learn?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:41 am

I don't understand Australian media's fixation with the shootings in the US.
Every week there's a mass shooting, every week our media leads off their news bulletins with it, Sunrise and Today rush to do live crosses and we get 'rolling coverage'.
Yet, there's killings like this every where, throughout the world and we couldn't GAF about those.
I understand that these mass shootings are news and, so that we have a world view, we need to hear about them, I just don't get the prominence our news media gives them.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:43 am

They won't.

Is Australia so devoid of news that they have to give so much airtime to a looney on the other side of the world?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:44 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't understand Australian media's fixation with the shootings in the US.
E.

This. Unless it involves Australians, who cares.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:49 am

Dogwatcher wrote:I don't understand Australian media's fixation with the shootings in the US.
Every week there's a mass shooting, every week our media leads off their news bulletins with it, Sunrise and Today rush to do live crosses and we get 'rolling coverage'.
Yet, there's killings like this every where, throughout the world and we couldn't GAF about those.
I understand that these mass shootings are news and, so that we have a world view, we need to hear about them, I just don't get the prominence our news media gives them.

I guess we like to emphasise events that happen in western nations that we have a political or philosophical affinity with, such as Paris a few weeks ago, which was given considerably higher priority in the news media than other terrorist events that took place at about the same time in 'less western' parts of the world.

Now that I think about it, I'd say that we look at the US in terms of gun violence as a bit of a freak show that can't sort itself out like we did with gun controls post-Port Arthur in 1996, and we take some perverse voyeuristic pleasure in wondering 'why'.

'News bulletins' like Sunrise and Today also make me sad, but for different reasons to gun violence.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:50 am

Magellan wrote: 'News bulletins' like Sunrise and Today also make me sad, but for different reasons to gun violence.

I hear you.
Like The Project, it's news for the unthinking.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:52 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Magellan wrote: 'News bulletins' like Sunrise and Today also make me sad, but for different reasons to gun violence.

I hear you.
Like The Project, it's news for the unthinking.

Just because someone has a story to tell it doesn't mean I want to hear it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:56 am

Indeed, although The Project's at the lesser end of the news bullsh!t spectrum for mine. It's still full of crap - particularly the endless Channel 10 advertorial tie-ins. And Waleed Aly needs and deserves a better vehicle, hopefully once he's crafted his profile he can move onto something more substantial.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:58 am

Magellan wrote:Indeed, although The Project's at the lesser end of the news bullsh!t spectrum for mine. It's still full of crap - particularly the endless Channel 10 advertorial tie-ins. And Waleed Aly needs and deserves a better vehicle, hopefully once he's crafted his profile he can move onto something more substantial.

Something like a soapbox?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:05 am

I was thinking a loudhailer at the speaker's corner in Botanic Park.

Mind you, a soapbox is OK, would have less advertising and no Peter Helliar.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:56 am

Magellan wrote:I was thinking a loudhailer at the speaker's corner in Botanic Park.

There is a speaker's corner at Botanic Park?

:twisted:
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 am

Yeah, Peter Lewis still wanders around there in a funk, muttering about parliamentary procedure and scratching his head with a branch of broom rape.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:04 am

Pseudo wrote:
Magellan wrote:I was thinking a loudhailer at the speaker's corner in Botanic Park.

There is a speaker's corner at Botanic Park?

:twisted:

"Ye of little Bay faith, come and stand before thy Pseudo and be judged as no other shall judge ye, for if ye shall not Snout, Snout shall not be with ye"
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:08 am

Dogwatcher wrote:Yeah, Peter Lewis still wanders around there in a funk, muttering about parliamentary procedure and scratching his head with a branch of broom rape.

Mary Jo Fisher's also been seen there, clutching her Frewville Shopping Centre shop-a-dockets and doing the Hokey Pokey.
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion