Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:39 am

Booney wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Barrie Robran is the greatest example of someone who was a champion but struggled as a coach.

Ken Farmer on the other hand was brilliant.

SA's two greats, Robran and Ebert both struggled in charge.

Having heard both of them talk, like Platten, I think they're both very modest blokes.
I think they also have trouble embracing their brilliance and passing on their experience as a result.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby carey » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:35 pm

Is it just me or is Rene Kink a cocky flog? Certainly seems it.

Loved the Chris Grant one the other night.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2808 times
Been liked: 2996 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby FlyingHigh » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Been watching a few of these on Youtube lately, including some of the older ones.
The Jim Jess and Platten ones were great and the Brereton one was good, hearing about a few things I didn't know.
Also enjoyed the Phil Carman one, especially when he said his best moment in footy was the first Sturt win in 96 after going winless the previous season and just to see what it meant to all the people involved with the club.

It won't happen, but I'd love to see a Garry McIntosh, Barrie Robran and Stephen Michael episode
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Dustin Fletcher is on Open Mike tonight lads.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10329 times
Been liked: 1519 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby DOC » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:14 pm

Loved him as a player. One to watch.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:44 am

Did anyone else watch the Open Mike special on Wednesday night, Keven Sheedy 50 Years in footy?

I thought it was really well done, previously I only knew bit and pieces about his career and I thought it was a great insight into his life in football. He's a football genius.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:53 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Did anyone else watch the Open Mike special on Wednesday night, Keven Sheedy 50 Years in footy?

I thought it was really well done, previously I only knew bit and pieces about his career and I thought it was a great insight into his life in football. He's a football genius.
Yes. Didn't realise Sheeds was outraged by being denied the chance to play a First Grade Cricket final by the football club. It was his belief that the two clubs should work together. Little ironic that the Footy club now have exclusive use of Punt Rd Oval these days forcing the cricket club further north along Punt Rd and into a side street
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:05 am

heater31 wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Did anyone else watch the Open Mike special on Wednesday night, Keven Sheedy 50 Years in footy?

Yes. Didn't realise Sheeds was outraged by being denied the chance to play a First Grade Cricket final by the football club. It was his belief that the two clubs should work together. Little ironic that the Footy club now have exclusive use of Punt Rd Oval these days forcing the cricket club further north along Punt Rd and into a side street
Like alot of Cricket and Football clubs- they never saw eye to eye. Always seems like a footy club is always the one to turn their nose up at the cricket club.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
heater31 wrote:

Like alot of Cricket and Football clubs- they never saw eye to eye. Always seems like a footy club is always the one to turn their nose up at the cricket club.

True, but, if a footy club has 3 sides and support staff they've probably for 70 or 80+ people regularly attending functions, match days etc. If a cricket club has 3 teams they usually do their own scoring and have maybe 30 or 40 people in the "club".

Footy is usually the big brother.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby The Dark Knight » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:25 am

Booney wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:
heater31 wrote:

True, but, if a footy club has 3 sides and support staff they've probably for 70 or 80+ people regularly attending functions, match days etc. If a cricket club has 3 teams they usually do their own scoring and have maybe 30 or 40 people in the "club".

Footy is usually the big brother.
Exactly right, the football club is usually the bigger club and therefore has more power.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:51 pm

Open Mike back in the last 3 weeks. Robert Murphy tonight, I feel like their scraping the bottom on the barrel getting him on there straight after his retirement but an interesting interview nevertheless. Justin Leppitsch the week before, unfortunately I didn't find all that captivating and Andrew Mackie and Ton Lonergan to start the 2018 series off wasn't bad, mostly interesting because of Longeran's story of how bad it was when he lost his kidney. That sort of thing is scary to listen too.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:36 pm

Harped on a bit too much about missing the 2016 flag for mine.

Still- good interview.

I really like Bob. Forget the 2016 season, the fairytale that wasn't to be, Bevo on the dias and all that, I liked how he played the game and would be one of those blokes who would be good to chat to about footy and life over a beer.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:51 am

valleys07 wrote:Harped on a bit too much about missing the 2016 flag for mine.

Still- good interview.

I really like Bob. Forget the 2016 season, the fairytale that wasn't to be, Bevo on the dias and all that, I liked how he played the game and would be one of those blokes who would be good to chat to about footy and life over a beer.

I refuse to watch anything with Bob in it. He gives me the shits big time.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:03 am

The Dark Knight wrote:
Exactly right, the football club is usually the bigger club and therefore has more power.

In an instance that you'd be referring to though the football club would struggle to survive without the cricket club as there would be no money coming in over summer, that's why so many are called "Sports & Social Clubs".

I had similar issues when I was running a "cricket" club, trying to get incentives etc. from the sporting body was like extracting teeth, it took a couple of years but we ended up with 4 senior sides, 2 womens teams and 4 junior sides not only becoming self-sufficient, we were making a tidy profit, it only shot me in the foot though as I ended up becoming the chairman of the whole sporting body.

Football brings in more money via bar takings & canteen, moreso if they are winning, they also cost a shit load more to run via player payments, insurance, affiliation fees, medical consumable along with umpires etc.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Open Mike back in the last 3 weeks. Robert Murphy tonight, I feel like their scraping the bottom on the barrel getting him on there straight after his retirement but an interesting interview nevertheless. Justin Leppitsch the week before, unfortunately I didn't find all that captivating and Andrew Mackie and Ton Lonergan to start the 2018 series off wasn't bad, mostly interesting because of Longeran's story of how bad it was when he lost his kidney. That sort of thing is scary to listen too.

Gee, rolling out the big guns.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:05 am

Bum Crack wrote:

Still- good interview.

Needs to adjust his wig.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:10 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
The Dark Knight wrote:Open Mike back in the last 3 weeks. Robert Murphy tonight, I feel like their scraping the bottom on the barrel getting him on there straight after his retirement but an interesting interview nevertheless. Justin Leppitsch the week before, unfortunately I didn't find all that captivating and Andrew Mackie and Ton Lonergan to start the 2018 series off wasn't bad, mostly interesting because of Longeran's story of how bad it was when he lost his kidney. That sort of thing is scary to listen too.

Gee, rolling out the big guns.
Starting to scrap the bottom of the barrel.
The Dark Knight
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:23 am

Bum Crack wrote:

Still- good interview.

He looks like a likable character but not a likable character I'd like to hang around, make sense?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:47 am

Booney wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

Still- good interview.

He looks like a likable character but not a likable character I'd like to hang around, make sense?

He's a try hard in the media and the love Robbo and Gerard used to show him made me sick. It's cringeworthy. Jack Riewoldt has the same affect on me.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Bum Crack wrote:He's a try hard in the media and the love Robbo and Gerard used to show him made me sick. It's cringeworthy. Jack Riewoldt has the same affect on me.

It surprises me that Jack Riewoldt got married recently, I didn't think he'd have room for anyone else in his life beside himself.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL