1960's SANFL

Anything to do with the history of the SANFL

1960's SANFL

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:23 am

We have dedicated threads for the 1970's and 1980's but there doesn't appear to be anything for the 1960's.

I was born in the early 1970's but nonetheless find the previous decade very interesting.

Starting off, I noticed this Youtube of Woodville upsetting Sturt in 1969. I'm assuming it would have been one of the biggest upset of the 1960's. Can't believe Bagshaw spoiling the bounce around 1:40 :lol:

The Buckley playing for Woodville is presumably Nathan's father.

The MacVicar playing is presumably Colin, who was still playing a decade or so later for the Peckers and then Glenelg.

GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Re: 1960's SANFL

Postby smithy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:59 am

This is going to be a brilliant topic GWW.
Well done.
smithy

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:04 am

No worries smithy.
GWW

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:08 am

Another thing I picked up in the footage was a Barbary playing for Woodville, wikipedia confirms it was Barrie Barbary, ex North Adelaide Magarey Medalist, who played for the Peckers from 67-70.
GWW

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:59 am

GWW wrote:The Buckley playing for Woodville is presumably Nathan's father.

The MacVicar playing is presumably Colin, who was still playing a decade or so later for the Peckers and then Glenelg.

Correct on both counts. Also big Dean Ottens (27) for Sturt is the father of Geelong's Brad Ottens. Nice to see footage of Woodville, Big Noel Teasdale who won a Brownlow Medal with North Melbourne, the brilliant Bob Simunsen, Malcolm Blight, Ray Huppatz, Rodney Allen, Craig McKellar, even big Freddie Hansch, the veteran ruckman. Woodville had some great players, just not enough of them.

Lovely to see torpedos, drop kicks, etc, far more exciting than drop punt, drop punt, drop punt of the contemporary game. And the umpiring ... did anyone notice it? Umpires just did their jobs and remained as inconspicuous as possible.

Did anyone notice early in the clip Tilbrook take a mark? As he went back a Woodville player strolled across the mark. Didn't upset anyone, nobody cared. These days you'd have umpires running in flapping their arms like it was the crime of the century, and pulling him back 50 metres.

Another thing I wonder if people picked up on. No out of bounds on the full. That wasn't introduced until 1970 in the SANFL, although it was first trialed in and end of season game between Norwood Reserves and University, curtain raiser to the 1969 SANFL Grand Final.

And the jumpers ..... lace-ups completely devoid of advertising logos .... how sweet it is.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:37 am

An interesting decade the 60s. After their decade of dominance in the 50s, Port Adelaide looked as though they would continue in the 60s, winning 3 flags from 1962-65. They had big powerful men and kicked long to marking contests with the brilliant Jeff Potter crumbing off packs. Then along came Sturt who completely revolutionised the game.

Their method, kick the ball long, but to the space, and have players run onto the ball. Plus a greater emphasis on handball as an attacking weapon. Hard for younger people to comprehend, but Port Adelaide only recorded 10 handballs in the entire match in their 1965 Grand Final victory.

Magarey Medallists were an interesting bunch. We saw a mixture of talented wingmen and centremen such as Barbary, Halbert, Eustice, Head, and Window. Then we saw a CHB in Motley, a full back in Ron Kneebone, a back pocket player in Trevor Obst, then a full forward in Fred Phillis. In the mix we saw the emerging Robran win his first, and the electrifying Lindner win one retrospectively. The medal could be won anywhere on the ground, not just the midfield like these days.

For mine, the greatest moment of the 60s was South Adelaide's rags to riches victory in 1964. Coming from last position to win the flag, its first for 26 years was sensational. The same thing happened in the WAFL with Claremont (their first for 24 years). Sturt's flag in 1966 was also their first for 26 years ... I guess what I loved most about footy in that era was the variety, not the same old, same old we see today.

I'll post later about some of the great players of the 60s ... a word of warning, I may use the name Robran :)
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:43 am

In the 1960s I used to collect Coca Cola bottle tops with the footballers faces in them
I collected these as a primary school kid
I still have 8 of them now, used to have hundreds , but dunno what happened to them all
In alphabetical order

INGLIS JOHNNY [NW]
KANTILLA DAVID [SA]
KERLEY NEIL WA]
MODRA DENNIS [NW]
NYGAARD DAMIEN [NW]
PORRITT ROSS NW]
SMITH BARRY [NW]
WEDDING BILL [NW]

Ironically I have Kerley and Nygaard
In the mid to late 60s Nygaard switched positions from half back to become a brilliant half forward
Nygaard had his jaw broken by Neil Kerley, it certainly created a great deal of controversy at the time

Did anyone else collect these Coca cola bottle tops, and have the folder booklet ?
I recall using clag glue to stick the players in the appropriate spots
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1141 times
Been liked: 892 times

Postby 200 Killer Wasps » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 am

Yes I remember collecting them - I have seen them on Ebay recently.

I think you could collect SANFL footy players during the winter and Adelaide TV personalities during the summer months.
I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I can't put it down.
200 Killer Wasps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:55 am

mal wrote:Did anyone else collect these Coca cola bottle tops, and have the folder booklet ?
I recall using clag glue to stick the players in the appropriate spots

There were three seasons in the 60s they did this, 1963, 64 & 68. I collected the entire sets for 63 & 64, started on 68 but can't recall if I collected the lot. Mother love to throw things out when you're not looking, so I've lost the 64 & 68 sets, but manage to have hung onto the 63 set. However, I noticed that Ian Day (South Adelaide) has come lose and cannot find it. If anyone has one, please let me know.

The folders were released by coca-cola in conjunction with Selley's glue.

There was also a set released by Pepsi in 1963, about 30-40 tops, I have one here, Peter Aish.

Mal, the Kerley-Nygaard incident was round 4, 1969. Incredible scenes that afternoon. Nygaard drew Kerley off his man so he could handball to Woolford who goaled. Kerley decided to keep going, raised the elbow and smashed Nygaard's jaw. The act was unnecessary and angered the crowd. By today's standards, it would have earned about 6 weeks suspension. I've been disappointed in latter years to hear Cornes and Marker defend Kerley's action, but I wouldn't mind betting it was what convinced Kerley it was time to retire.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:24 am

200 Killer Wasps wrote:Yes I remember collecting them - I have seen them on Ebay recently.

I think you could collect SANFL footy players during the winter and Adelaide TV personalities during the summer months.

They had one with TV personalities. They also had one for recording artists, the 1963-64 Australia v South Africa Test cricket series, there was also one that depicated places and countries around the world. Probably others that I cannot recall.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 10:41 am

So how many games was Kerley suspended for?
GWW

Postby mal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:30 am

KERLEYS GREATEST HITS
I was born under a wanderin star
Damian Nygaards jaw

NYGAARD
Nygaard in the 1970s tried out as the punter in the NFL
I have read this on another illustrious footy website , posted by an illustrious poster
Nygaard was in Canada
he was spotting kicking a ball
He was asked to attend a practice session with a Canadian team
The person who spotted Nygaard became his agent
He tried out with the Green Bay Packers [either 74 or 75 depending where you read about this]
Damians average kick was 41 yards [39 yards is the minimum ]

From what I gather he had some trials, but didnt make the grade
B4 he went to Canada he spent time playing footy with West Perth in the early 70s

Nygaard, from memory , did not play at his best after suffering THAT broken jaw
mal
Coach

Postby mal » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:06 pm

August 1966
I was kicking footys and playing backyard cricket , that was the vogue in them days
Our next door every body's got good neighbors offered to take my sister and me to a SANFL football game
It was a PA V WA game at Alberton
I was 8 years old
Our elderly neighbors were PA barrackers, my sister WA, as for me I was just thrilled about going to a footy game

I managed to track down a Footy Budget from that game recently
The budget cost a whopping 5 cents to purchase back in 1966 !

These were the line ups

PA
1 ERREY D
2 SPIERS D
3 OBST T
4 ELLEWAY R
6 COOPER G
7 GILL D
8 TRAYNOR S
9 BRAY R
10 TALMAN P
12 KATSANOS C
13 PHILP R
14 CAHILL J
15 HOLMES B
18 FREEMAN E
20 PILGRIM B
21 POTTER J
22 SPENCER K
24 NYLAND B
25 MEAD P
27 SALMON K

WA
1 ROACH D
2 DAY R
3 JONAS D
4 SIMS G
6 FRASER S
7 DeBROUGHE B
8 POPE R
10 HOOPER J
11 WALLACE J
12 LOVEDAY R
13 DELLA POLONIA I
16 PANNENBURG J
17 BERTELSMIER D
18 PFITZNER J
19 KUCHEL B
23 BURKETT J
24 HUGHES T
26 THOMPSON C
27 ZANKER J
29 LLEWLLYN
31 McINERNEY J
33 JAMIESON N

The budget was filled out, and I will assume it was this scoreline

PA 5-4....8-8...14-11...15-13
WA 0-3...2-8...2-9.......5-12

My recollections of that game
I felt sorry for WA as they struggled to kick goals
I cant recall who was who on the footy field
I decided I wanted to be a WA barracker after that day
I also barracked for SK in the VFL , because I found out b4 the finals started they had never won a flag

Eric Fritz Freeman, kicked 5-1 that day, of all the players who played in this game, he became my favorite
The main reason was that he played Test Cricket for AU
For those who cant remember Fritz, he pulled as many hamstrings as Shane Watson back in those days !
mal
Coach

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:35 pm

I noticed that Denis Errey did a bit of tv commentating 30 or so years ago. What sort of a footballer was he? I believe he was father of 1980's Port player, Michael.
GWW

Re: .

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:56 pm

GWW wrote:I noticed that Denis Errey did a bit of tv commentating 30 or so years ago. What sort of a footballer was he? I believe he was father of 1980's Port player, Michael.

Yes, that's correct. Denis was your typical Port Adelaide style player, hard at the ball, reasonable skills, etc. He played a lot of football on the Wing, but when they shifted him to the half back flank, he played state football. He played in the 63 & 65 premierships and was in 4 other Grand Final teams (1966-68, 1971).
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby nickname » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Mal, can you check your budget again because no one called Zanker played for West.
Also, it was Ian Della Pollina, not Polonia.
nickname
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:53 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Mal, the Kerley-Nygaard incident was round 4, 1969. Incredible scenes that afternoon. Nygaard drew Kerley off his man so he could handball to Woolford who goaled. Kerley decided to keep going, raised the elbow and smashed Nygaard's jaw. The act was unnecessary and angered the crowd. By today's standards, it would have earned about 6 weeks suspension. I've been disappointed in latter years to hear Cornes and Marker defend Kerley's action, but I wouldn't mind betting it was what convinced Kerley it was time to retire.

AH, I've never seen the Kerly-Nygaard incident, so I might well be off the mark here, but just a thought ..

I recently saw the Jenkins-Maylin clash from (IIRC) the 79' Elimination Final, and on the review show, Marker said something along the lines of "Jenkins did absolutely the right thing", even though in today's game he would have been slaughtered for it by the tribunal.

Maybe Marker and Cornes' defence of Kerley was in relation to them understanding what was more acceptable behaviour back in that day, which was obviously much more ferocious than following generations?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:59 pm

JK wrote:
Adelaide Hawk wrote:Mal, the Kerley-Nygaard incident was round 4, 1969. Incredible scenes that afternoon. Nygaard drew Kerley off his man so he could handball to Woolford who goaled. Kerley decided to keep going, raised the elbow and smashed Nygaard's jaw. The act was unnecessary and angered the crowd. By today's standards, it would have earned about 6 weeks suspension. I've been disappointed in latter years to hear Cornes and Marker defend Kerley's action, but I wouldn't mind betting it was what convinced Kerley it was time to retire.

AH, I've never seen the Kerly-Nygaard incident, so I might well be off the mark here, but just a thought ..

I recently saw the Jenkins-Maylin clash from (IIRC) the 79' Elimination Final, and on the review show, Marker said something along the lines of "Jenkins did absolutely the right thing", even though in today's game he would have been slaughtered for it by the tribunal.

Maybe Marker and Cornes' defence of Kerley was in relation to them understanding what was more acceptable behaviour back in that day, which was obviously much more ferocious than following generations?

Even in the roughest days of football, Neil Kerley's actions on that day were not acceptable. There was nothing courageous about it, just an act of thuggery.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:05 pm

nickname wrote:Mal, can you check your budget again because no one called Zanker played for West.
Also, it was Ian Della Pollina, not Polonia.

Yes, Ian Della-Polina, won the Reserves Magarey Medal for Norwood in 1964 and Transfered to West. The was a J.Zanker who played at West, but didn't play league football. It was not uncommon for more than 20 players to be listed in the Budget.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:10 pm

Why are Woodville wearing white shorts and Sturt black shorts?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL History Forum